Author Topic: Afghaninstan Casualties  (Read 902 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Afghaninstan Casualties
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »
I don't hear anything in the media about our Afghanistan casualties.  It looks like we have lost 412 service members so far in Operation Enduring Freedom.  http://www.icasualties.org/oef/  There are some who say the lives of our men and women in Iraq have been "wasted."  Does anyone believe this about those who died during Operation Enduring Freedom?  Any comments on this?   

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Afghaninstan Casualties
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:07 AM »
I believe that terrorism is a police problem.

Using the military is not apt and is proving to be counter-productive considering Al Qaeda is as strong as ever and worldwide terrorism is up over 400%.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/17/AR2007071702007.html

I don't think the military can do this job as well as the cops. 

Are the military personnel lives wasted?  That's quite an inflammatory statement.

I think a better one is, "Are military resources the best most effective weapon for battling terrorism?"

I think that answer is decidedly 'no'.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »
Your completely wrong...the military is not good at peace keeping but as far as kicking doors and killing bad guys..thats what we do..thats all we do. We kill people and break stuff. Afghanistan is a rugged and confusing place. Its not a policing issue in any way shape or form. Please read about the wars and the people before jumping to that conclusion. The war there isa SOF war..small units doing secret things most Americans don't know or should not know about. Its so "black' there that u never know who your talking to. CIA, NSA or other organizations not generallay mentioned.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:29:05 PM »
Your completely wrong...the military is not good at peace keeping but as far as kicking doors and killing bad guys..thats what we do..thats all we do. We kill people and break stuff. Afghanistan is a rugged and confusing place. Its not a policing issue in any way shape or form. Please read about the wars and the people before jumping to that conclusion. The war there isa SOF war..small units doing secret things most Americans don't know or should not know about. Its so "black' there that u never know who your talking to. CIA, NSA or other organizations not generallay mentioned.
Let's just look at the results: the military gets a black eye in this report http://hrw.org/reports/2004/afghanistan0304/

The taliban is in power again http://www.senliscouncil.net/modules/publications/014_publication/con_rec

Heroin is Afghanistan's #1 cash crop supplying 90% of the world's supply http://www.rawa.org/temp/runews/2007/01/07/afghanistan-heroin-finds-way-to-us-streets.html

It looks like the SOF aspect of the war hasn't been any more successful in effect than the traditional military.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 12:45:14 PM »
I think our operation was successful.  Al Qaeda planned and trained for 911 in Afghanistan while being hosted by the Taliban.  We busted up that operation.  They won't be hosting terrorist training camps anymore.  And Bin Laden will be in hiding for the rest of his life, assuming he is not dead. 

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

does that mean less immigrants  :D
are you delusional?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »
Article 1. Ok, who cares. They have horrible people at the facility on Bagram. Horrible. I lifted with a bunch of the guards and Interrogators. The stories about these guys were unbelievable. They got out every day to play soccer and crap. Human Rights Watch ::). These guys are bad folks.

We provide wells, schools, roads, power plants, food, crops, farming equipment. Clothing to kids etc etc. The Taliban kills kids who go to school. I've seen them burn a school. And i've seen the remains of an attack on another. They kill animals that get vaccinated. We are doing our best.

Article 2. Afghanistan is a Narco state. No argument there. A very good friend of mine runs DEA hit teams that go in with SOF units to combat the Narco's. His stories are chilling. The corruption starts from the top. The VP is the main drug runner. No argument from me. This is how these people feed themselves. Unhappy people tend to side with the taliban. We don't burn fields, its counter productive. We do go after the drug dealers but when many are tribal leaders, neccesary for the war against the Taliban and AQ, you have to pick ur poison. Buring the fields in 03-04 led many to support the Taliban, who, and don't kid yourself, take plenty of Narco money, in exchange for protection. Its how they rebuilt themselves.

Article 3...most of this is biased Euro BS based on utter nonsense and jealousy. If you have never been to Afghanistan, then it would be very very hard to see through the article. The worthless Nato allies do nothing. Its us, the Brits and the Canadians, thats it. The French..worthless...the Germans...super worthless. They won't fight and they won't leave their bases.

European countries’ experience with ‘hearts and minds’ missions and historic cooperation with Muslim communities uniquely positions them to re-direct and lead the stabilisation efforts in Afghanistan. Under European guidance, the international military coalitions should concentrate on facilitating the conditions for aid delivery to reach Afghanistan’s most remote communities. This would be the first step for rural communities to join the reconstruction effort.

I don't have time to go through the whole article but of all of them, its the most idiotic.

Historic cooperation...the french killed thousands in North Africa. The Germans? The damm Europenas are the friggen reason the middle east is all screwed up. They made up iraq. They had no idea about tribes and territories, they drew lines and made countries. This is utter crap. The Brits fought and lost in Afghanistan. What history are these nuts talking about.  ::)
L