Author Topic: Republicans Defeat Iraq Withdrawal Bill Again.  (Read 655 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Republicans Defeat Iraq Withdrawal Bill Again.
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:53:30 AM »
Republicans defeat Iraq withdrawal bill
Democrats fail to get 60 votes needed to advance Iraq troop reduction bill

Senate Republicans scuttled a Democratic proposal ordering troop withdrawals from Iraq in a showdown Wednesday that capped an all-night debate on the war.

The 52-47 vote fell short of the 60 votes needed to cut off debate under Senate rules.

The Democratic proposal, by Sens. Carl Levin, D-Mich., and Jack Reed, D-R.I., would have required President Bush to start bringing home troops within 120 days and complete the pullout by April 30, 2008. Under the bill, an unspecified number of troops could remain behind to conduct a narrow set of missions: counterterrorism, protecting U.S. assets and training Iraqi security forces.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19797695/

That looks like a phased withdrawal to me.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Republicans Defeat Iraq Withdrawal Bill Again.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:28 AM »
120 days is way to quick....they need a better plan.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »
120 days is way to quick....they need a better plan.
That was just when some of these 15 month/3 tour veterans of Iraq could come home.  The entire withdrawal would not end until 2008 and we still would be leaving forces behind.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:06:27 PM »
I can't imagine anyone really believed this was going to get the needed votes. This called for the completion of the pullout by April, 2008. I don't see how a 10 month withdrawal could pass.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »
I can't imagine anyone really believed this was going to get the needed votes. This called for the completion of the pullout by April, 2008. I don't see how a 10 month withdrawal could pass.

I don't see how any withdrawal bill could pass, 10 month or 10 years.  The republicans still back the president.

When one digs a hole, you don't get out of that hole by continuing to dig.