Author Topic: Pentagon starts spin unit to target talk radio, bloggers  (Read 2750 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Pentagon starts spin unit to target talk radio, bloggers
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »
Very Interesting.... Note that the National Intelligence Estimate released last week pointed to the net as a main source for radicalizing home grown terrorist cells ::)  uh huh... ::)

With public opinion on both the President and Iraq war cratering, it's hard to imagine any amount of PR could turn back the tide. But don't tell that to the Pentagon's public affairs division. Ken Silverstein reports on the latest efforts to spread the good word on Iraq in Monday's Harper's.
Cont... http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Nowhere_to_go_but_up_Pentagon_0717.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Pentagon starts spin unit to target talk radio, bloggers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:41:44 AM »
The Terrorists are well ahead of the PR war bubble. they use the net to spew hate and Bullshit, so we're doing what we can to get our message across. Much like the hugely Liberal slant that this article came from. Its a Liberal website, commenting on a military organization. Should we expect a fair and balanced report..hell no. When the liberals spew BS its truth but when the military says anything its spin and propaganda right? ::)
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »
The Terrorists are well ahead of the PR war bubble. they use the net to spew hate and Bullshit, so we're doing what we can to get our message across. Much like the hugely Liberal slant that this article came from. Its a Liberal website, commenting on a military organization. Should we expect a fair and balanced report..hell no. When the liberals spew BS its truth but when the military says anything its spin and propaganda right? ::)
But it's okdokie to run with right leaning stories all day long here right ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:16:37 AM »
No...middle of the road with facts works for me. I try not to paste from Right sites because it lessens the credibility.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »
Also, the story originates from Harper's a /magazine which is a progressive magazine but does not limit conservative views from being published...

"About Harper's Magazine: 2006 National Magazine Award for General Excellence Winner! Offering quality fiction and nonfiction commentary on politics, literature, culture, and science, Harper's Magazine is an eclectic blend of essays, fiction and reporting that ranges from the liberal to the conservative. Each issue of Harper's Magazine gives you the most stimulating writing by today's best observers and interpreters of what's happening in the world."

OK Headhunter, you state that "The Terrorists" are way ahead of the "PR War Bubble" Is there one spec of anything you have to back that shit up?  They state that it's the new threat you know, that there are all of these radicalized cells being spawned in western nations right here on the net...  WOW ::) Where ???  Who are they really talking about ??? Where are these forums and message boards and blogs that are spawning terrorist cells?  Maybe it's just me, but in all my wonderings on the net, the worst I've ever found is right here on getbig, our very own, The Shadow and I don't exactly see terror cells forming his his path ::)  So who are we really talking about... What we're really talking about is a pissed off population disgusted with a bullshit war and a bullshit president and an Administration that can't continue down the warpath with everyone talking and fully aware of the bullshit... There is no Al Qaeda operatives ahead of the American Media Machine running about the net convincing everyone to be anti-American-- ahead of the PR War Bubble ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
No...middle of the road with facts works for me. I try not to paste from Right sites because it lessens the credibility.
Let's be realistic, middle of the road news outlets are rare as hell.  If you want to get to the truth of the matter there's nothing better than a forum like this and pitting information from multiple angles, left and right until lies and truths are revealed.  If we sat around only posting stuff that everyone argreed was from a source without bias, we might as well end the forum, it's just not realistic based on the current state of politics...

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
Let's be realistic, middle of the road news outlets are rare as hell.  If you want to get to the truth of the matter there's nothing better than a forum like this and pitting information from multiple angles, left and right until lies and truths are revealed.  If we sat around only posting stuff that everyone argreed was from a source without bias, we might as well end the forum, it's just not realistic based on the current state of politics...
Well said.  Here's my news for the day:  The terrorist threat is really overblown. 

The more I look at it, the more I see propaganda being spread.

The US authorities cannot find one instance of an Al Qaeda sleeper cell in the US.  http://wpherald.com/articles/4615/1/Commentary-Uncovering-Americas-missing-sleeper-cells/FBI-claims-no-evidence-of-terrorist-quotsleeper-cellsquot.html

In the iraq war only 5% of the foreign attackers of our troops have any association with Al Qaeda.  I don't count the iraqi people mired in civil war or attacking the occupying force--that's not Al Qaeda.

Worldwide Al Qaeda recruitment is predicated on defending their homeland from infidels and not the moronic 71 virgins reason or that they hate our freedoms.  They don't want westerners meddling in their affairs in their own land.  These people are pissed that we and our allies occupy their countries.  Makes sense to me. http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress01/caruso121801.htm

On 9/11 we were attacked one time by a bunch of guys armed with boxcutters and a plan.  This isn't remotely similar to WWII.

That being said, terrorists are real and good police work should be used to nab them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »
Well said.  Here's my news for the day:  The terrorist threat is really overblown. 

The more I look at it, the more I see propaganda being spread.

The US authorities cannot find one instance of an Al Qaeda sleeper cell in the US.  http://wpherald.com/articles/4615/1/Commentary-Uncovering-Americas-missing-sleeper-cells/FBI-claims-no-evidence-of-terrorist-quotsleeper-cellsquot.html

Are you saying the fact we have not found a sleeper cell (assuming that is a fact) is evidence that a sleeper cell isn't in this country right now? 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
Are you saying the fact we have not found a sleeper cell (assuming that is a fact) is evidence that a sleeper cell isn't in this country right now? 
No, I'm saying no sleeper cells have been found in the US.  Zero.  None.  But the larger point I'm alluding to is that while terrorism is a problem, it certainly isn't on par with a world war or the like.  19 guys with box cutters attacked us.

It still amazes me that the attack on Iraq got off the ground--about 600 billion spent, tens of thousands of people killed, ten times that amount injured, and on and on.

For 19 guys with boxcutters and a plan.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »
Hmmmm, gee... I can't see why there wouldn't be a jillion sleeper cells in America... Let's see, we have a "massive terrorist network" that's taken the full brunt of the US Military and is still ticking strong and we've had a border situation that's been not only wide open but advertised constantly as wide open with emphasis on a government that has ZERO desire to do anything about it... There's every reason a terrorist network such as "Al Qaeda" would have many cells in America... But.... The threat???  no, not a wide open border and well funded terror network, it's Internet Blogs and Forums breeding independent cells in western nations....  Oh boy... something looks.... like Bullshit....

How does a nation have a border like it is and advertised as such get away with painting pictures of Al Qaeda as a global boogie man without giving a rats ass about border security... because they have an intimate knowledge of Al Qaeda... tooooooo intimate... so intimate that.... uh huh... DUH :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
No, I'm saying no sleeper cells have been found in the US.  Zero.  None.  But the larger point I'm alluding to is that while terrorism is a problem, it certainly isn't on par with a world war or the like.  19 guys with box cutters attacked us.

It still amazes me that the attack on Iraq got off the ground--about 600 billion spent, tens of thousands of people killed, ten times that amount injured, and on and on.

For 19 guys with boxcutters and a plan.

Understood.  Terrorism isn't like a world war.  It's much different.  It's actually much more dangerous.  Save Pearl Harbor, our borders have never really been threatened by a world war.  Terrorism, on the other hand, struck at the heart of our country.  The fact such a massive, devastating attack could be carried out by 19 guys is downright scary. 

The fact we have not found sleeper cells could mean several things:  (1) they don't exist; (2) they are hiding, which is what they are supposed to do, and we haven't found them yet; or (3) we know where they are, but aren't going to let the terrorists know that we have discovered their cell.  I think (3) is most likely, but it's possible there are no terrorist cells in the U.S. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »
Hmmmm, gee... I can't see why there wouldn't be a jillion sleeper cells in America... Let's see, we have a "massive terrorist network" that's taken the full brunt of the US Military and is still ticking strong and we've had a border situation that's been not only wide open but advertised constantly as wide open with emphasis on a government that has ZERO desire to do anything about it... There's every reason a terrorist network such as "Al Qaeda" would have many cells in America... But.... The threat???  no, not a wide open border and well funded terror network, it's Internet Blogs and Forums breeding independent cells in western nations....  Oh boy... something looks.... like Bullshit....

How does a nation have a border like it is and advertised as such get away with painting pictures of Al Qaeda as a global boogie man without giving a rats ass about border security... because they have an intimate knowledge of Al Qaeda... tooooooo intimate... so intimate that.... uh huh... DUH :D

lol.  Dude you are funny.  I'm glad you're back.   :) 

Sure we have a problem with border security.  I don't think that has anything to do with whether or not terrorist cells are in our country.  As 911 showed, it doesn't a whole lot of people to carry out attacks.  We had 19 guys hiding among 300 million people.  Needle in a haystack. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 02:01:12 PM »
Understood.  Terrorism isn't like a world war.  It's much different.  It's actually much more dangerous.  Save Pearl Harbor, our borders have never really been threatened by a world war.  Terrorism, on the other hand, struck at the heart of our country.  The fact such a massive, devastating attack could be carried out by 19 guys is downright scary. 

The fact we have not found sleeper cells could mean several things:  (1) they don't exist; (2) they are hiding, which is what they are supposed to do, and we haven't found them yet; or (3) we know where they are, but aren't going to let the terrorists know that we have discovered their cell.  I think (3) is most likely, but it's possible there are no terrorist cells in the U.S. 
The thing that scares me is that we spend 1/2 the annual federal budget on defense and all it took to harm us was a few hijackers.  The other things that bother me were all the put-options that came down on the airlines PRIOR to the attack and also the fact that turning off each planes tracking device somehow stymied the most technologically advanced defense and air-traffic control systems in the world.  I guess my father-in-law wasted his time in WWII hanging out the back of a b-52 showering the Japanese islands with metal filings to disrupt their radar....hell, all he had to do was turn off his locator type-thing-device.

I agree that terrorism is a problem.  But it is not like, nor as dangerous as say WWII for these reasons:

*There's no country unified behind the terrorists--they lack infrastructure. 

*Tora Bora--the purported stronghold of Al Qaed--was only a couple of poorly stocked caves and bunkers

*Al Qaeda is not a centralized entity...it's a loose organization that sometimes takes the credit for certain acts.

I'm off to home.  Have a great night Beach Bum.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »
lol.  Dude you are funny.  I'm glad you're back.   :) 

Sure we have a problem with border security.  I don't think that has anything to do with whether or not terrorist cells are in our country.  As 911 showed, it doesn't a whole lot of people to carry out attacks.  We had 19 guys hiding among 300 million people.  Needle in a haystack. 

Why aren't there many terror cells in America, is there something stopping them?  Jose and Hose-B have no problems whatsoever setting up in the millions with no money to get them started... Now... well... a well funded terror network, what's stopping them?  Why would it be we wouldn't give a shit about border security with a global terror network such as the mighty Al Quada????  Come on dude.... Think about it...

Which is it, Al-Qaeda is a dangerous foe, well funded and worthy of a decades long war or dumber than a bunch of mexicans?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
The thing that scares me is that we spend 1/2 the annual federal budget on defense and all it took to harm us was a few hijackers.  The other things that bother me were all the put-options that came down on the airlines PRIOR to the attack and also the fact that turning off each planes tracking device somehow stymied the most technologically advanced defense and air-traffic control systems in the world.  I guess my father-in-law wasted his time in WWII hanging out the back of a b-52 showering the Japanese islands with metal filings to disrupt their radar....hell, all he had to do was turn off his locator type-thing-device.

I agree that terrorism is a problem.  But it is not like, nor as dangerous as say WWII for these reasons:

*There's no country unified behind the terrorists--they lack infrastructure. 

*Tora Bora--the purported stronghold of Al Qaed--was only a couple of poorly stocked caves and bunkers

*Al Qaeda is not a centralized entity...it's a loose organization that sometimes takes the credit for certain acts.

I'm off to home.  Have a great night Beach Bum.

Adios.  My day is only just beginning.   :)  This multi-tasking thing can get real difficult . . . .

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 02:11:52 PM »
Why aren't there many terror cells in America, is there something stopping them?  Jose and Hose-B have no problems whatsoever setting up in the millions with no money to get them started... Now... well... a well funded terror network, what's stopping them?  Why would it be we wouldn't give a shit about border security with a global terror network such as the mighty Al Quada????  Come on dude.... Think about it...

I don't know.  Maybe they are here and we haven't found them.  Maybe wiping their base in Afghanistan slowed them down. 

We ought to care a whole lot about border security.  I know I do. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »
I don't know.  Maybe they are here and we haven't found them.  Maybe wiping their base in Afghanistan slowed them down. 

We ought to care a whole lot about border security.  I know I do. 

and you don't question why the administration doesn't?  Why part of the homeland security agenda never included serious border security?  Well you should wonder about things like this, sometimes there are reasons that deserve more attention than being left at "I don't know"

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 02:22:01 PM »
Things that make you go hum.... there are those that say, "I don't know" and continue to repeat the party mantra and then there are those that look and guys like Adam Pearlman and go, BWHAHHAAAHAAHAHhahhahahh ahhah BULLSHIT...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 11:30:01 PM »
and you don't question why the administration doesn't?  Why part of the homeland security agenda never included serious border security?  Well you should wonder about things like this, sometimes there are reasons that deserve more attention than being left at "I don't know"

More attention like what?  Do you know the answer? 

I question why Republican and Democrat administrations and Republican and Democrat Congresses haven't done enough to shore up our borders and stop illegal immigration since as long as I can remember.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 11:52:52 PM »
More attention like what?  Do you know the answer? 

I question why Republican and Democrat administrations and Republican and Democrat Congresses haven't done enough to shore up our borders and stop illegal immigration since as long as I can remember.   
Yes I know the answer...  So do you, you just won't admit it :) 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 12:10:30 AM »
Yes I know the answer...  So do you, you just won't admit it :) 

O.K.  I give up.  What's the answer? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 12:20:40 AM »
O.K.  I give up.  What's the answer? 
In all the time we've shot back and forth, you know full well...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 12:32:42 AM »
In all the time we've shot back and forth, you know full well...

I honestly don't know.  When have we discussed border security? 

If this is related to your belief that a large scale attack is being planned by the government (at least I think that's your belief?), I don't see how border security is relevant, if the attack is coming from within.  But I really don't know what you're talking about.  Not sure if I even recall correctly what you believe.  You've been gone too long.   :)   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »
I honestly don't know.  When have we discussed border security? 

If this is related to your belief that a large scale attack is being planned by the government (at least I think that's your belief?), I don't see how border security is relevant, if the attack is coming from within.  But I really don't know what you're talking about.  Not sure if I even recall correctly what you believe.  You've been gone too long.   :)   
A COUPLE MONTHS OUT OF YEARS ON THE GETBIG IS TOO LONG ???

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:11 AM »
A COUPLE MONTHS OUT OF YEARS ON THE GETBIG IS TOO LONG ???

Dude.  How many topics and posts have been posted in the last few months?  I can't even remember what I said a few months ago.