Author Topic: UFC 155-lb. Champion, Challenger Positive for Steroids  (Read 13280 times)

Denny Crane

• Getbig II
  • I also date midgets.
UFC 155-lb. Champion, Challenger Positive for Steroids
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:25:47 PM »
These guys need Denny Crane. Never lost. Never will.

Denny Crane.

UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk (Pictures) has tested positive for Nandrolone Metabolite following his title defense July 7 in Sacramento, Calif, the state's athletic commission revealed Thursday. Sherk scored a dominating five-round decision win over Brazilian Hermes Franca (Pictures), whom the CSAC also said tested positive for the banned substance Drostanolone.

After testing both "A" and "B" samples of the urine specimen provided by Sherk the day before the fight, the UFC champion's Nandrolone level was certified by the Director of Science and Technology at the lab conducting the tests at 12 ng/ml, two times higher than the threshold allowed by the CSAC, said the state regulatory body.

The Minnesotan lightweight has been fined $2,500 and suspended 365 days from the date of the fight, including an additional 10 days that would need be served if Sherk reapplied for a license to fight in the Golden State.

Calls to Sherk and his trainer Greg Nelson were not immediately returned.

Franca was also fined $2,500 -- the maximum fine the CSAC can levy -- and suspended through July 5, 2008. The Brazilian told MMAweekly.com that he had used a "banned substance" prior to the fight.

"I offer only an explanation and not an excuse," Franca said. "I made a decision during a difficult time in my training for the fight that I regret."

Saying an injured ankle prompted him to look for ways to "accelerate the healing process" Franca said he made the "shortsighted" choice to use a banned substance. "Under the pressure of literally not being able to pay next months bills I made a choice," he told MMAweekly. "I had to fight and did whatever I could to do so."

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (Anderson Silva' class='LinkSilver'>Pictures) and Nathan Marquardt (Pictures), participants in July 7's other title fight in Sacramento, Calif., were both cleared for any banned substances.

This news comes on the heels of a CSAC report that revealed 28 violations, including nine for steroids, of its anti-doping policy from March 31, 2007 through July 6, 2007. Seventeen of the 28 violators were fighters in mixed martial arts contests.
Denny Crane. Denny Crane.

Denny Crane

• Getbig II
  • I also date midgets.
Re: UFC 155-lb. Champion, Challenger Positive for Steroids
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »
With his lightweight champion and his latest opponent facing a year-long ban, UFC President Dana White made it clear where the industry's leading promotion stands on the use of performance-enhancing agents.

In the wake of Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca's positive steroid tests following the July 7 UFC 73: Stacked event, White reiterated Zuffa's position on steroid use in a statement released on the company's Web site, UFC.com.

"Our policy on fighters using steroids, illegal drugs or any banned substance remains the same," declared White, "you cannot use them."

White also put the UFC staunchly on the side of regulators, pledging to do whatever they can to limit the effects of banned substances on the sport and its participants.

"It's not only unhealthy and unsafe, it is against the law," said White. "The UFC fully supports the commission's efforts and we will continue to take the measures that keep this sport clean and keep the athletes safe."
Denny Crane. Denny Crane.

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 03:34:13 PM »
is anyone NOT surprised?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »
That blows, Sherk is the man. It seems the ones testing positive are all testing positive for Nandrolone, why is that?
Elevate Your Image.™

Master Blaster

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »
Because nandrolone metabolites can be detected for up to 12 months after discontinuing use of it. Even longer depending on the test.

Ouch! Epic wrong steroid taking.

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
Evander Holyfield has been on the juice for over a decade.  He was 175 pounds before he roided up.

MMA is more legit than boxing-in every way.  Boxing is the wwf.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »
when will the fucking public and media get over all this 'steroid paranoia' shit and just accept that top-level athletes use TEH JUICE? it doesnt even fucking matter, if your competing at the highest level in any sport, and make a living from it, i would juice and expect all my competitors to do the same.
they need to stop whining and legalize it already ::)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »
when will the fucking public and media get over all this 'steroid paranoia' shit and just accept that top-level athletes use TEH JUICE? it doesnt even fucking matter, if your competing at the highest level in any sport, and make a living from it, i would juice and expect all my competitors to do the same.
it's all bullshit, these days i just assume EVERY PRO ATHLETE is taking the stuff until i'm proven otherwise.

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »

what you wanted to ask is this,,

when will the fucking public and media get over all this 'steroid paranoia' shit and just accept that in the usa as of 2007 2 out of 3 lifters in a gym are hormonized to a degree,,either did it,,do it,,about to do it,,or will do it,,

when will the fuckin public and media etc etc.. that in the usa as of 2007 many use insulin and gh and call themselves NATURALS!! and no one can say shit about it,,guys in middle of no where just go in walgreens and buy INSULIN THE MOST ANABOLIC AGENT OUT THERE!!!

when will the fuckin public and etc etc..that in usa as of 2007 some local dealers make 50k a months clean to the pocket! now you think of it and tell me when local alabama dealer make 50k a month and big dealer usa make 200k a month,,you tell me how many people use nolva liquid clen and winstrol,,, the number of users is enourmous,,you do not make 50k-200k a month every month as a single person unless over 60-70% of the country is into their look and health!

get with the flow,,as of 2007 almost every one uses,,especially those who been in it for couple years,,that is why dea and fda dont go to the house of individual personal users of hormones,,there are so many they would have to put 100s of people a day every day behind bars,,this is why le goes after the big distributers or atleast try to,,or try to concentrate on the ones who deal/do narcotics/painkilers
fallen angel

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
Geez, the third time alone today a gimmick has started the same thread. Hate to break it to you, but the majority of MMA fighters are on some kind of gear. It's almost impossible to train 6 days a week for 6-7 hours at a clip and expect your body to recover from everything.  ::)

Grundle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • "Ruining lives and ratting on friends since '93"
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »
what you wanted to ask is this,,

when will the fucking public and media get over all this 'steroid paranoia' shit and just accept that in the usa as of 2007 2 out of 3 lifters in a gym are hormonized to a degree,,either did it,,do it,,about to do it,,or will do it,,

when will the fuckin public and media etc etc.. that in the usa as of 2007 many use insulin and gh and call themselves NATURALS!! and no one can say shit about it,,guys in middle of no where just go in walgreens and buy INSULIN THE MOST ANABOLIC AGENT OUT THERE!!!

when will the fuckin public and etc etc..that in usa as of 2007 some local dealers make 50k a months clean to the pocket! now you think of it and tell me when local alabama dealer make 50k a month and big dealer usa make 200k a month,,you tell me how many people use nolva liquid clen and winstrol,,, the number of users is enourmous,,you do not make 50k-200k a month every month as a single person unless over 60-70% of the country is into their look and health!

get with the flow,,as of 2007 almost every one uses,,especially those who been in it for couple years,,that is why dea and fda dont go to the house of individual personal users of hormones,,there are so many they would have to put 100s of people a day every day behind bars,,this is why le goes after the big distributers or atleast try to,,or try to concentrate on the ones who deal/do narcotics/painkilers

gh15, why won't you answer my question about which is smaller...

Your pathetically shriveled babynuts testicles from decades of steroids and chemical abuse

...or your tiny mostly useless  "pro" bodybuilder pea brain?

Int. Fed.of Booty Bandits

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »
gh15, why won't you answer my question about which is smaller...

Your pathetically shriveled babynuts testicles from decades of steroids and chemical abuse

...or your tiny mostly useless  "pro" bodybuilder pea brain?

::)

Master Blaster

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
Epic internet stalking. :(

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 05:12:08 PM »
Geez, the third time alone today a gimmick has started the same thread. Hate to break it to you, but the majority of MMA fighters are on some kind of gear. It's almost impossible to train 6 days a week for 6-7 hours at a clip and expect your body to recover from everything.  ::)
shit i thought they were just "pure" fighters with crazy genetics.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 05:13:39 PM »
shit i thought they were just "pure" fighters with crazy genetics.

hahaha, I shouldn't have let that slip. It's better watching all the clowns who are "training for the UFC" and figure to get there in 2-3 months of some dynomite curls and benching.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 05:19:47 PM »
Was anybody surprise?  Have you looked at Sherks Physique??? 

Im not ready to concede that "steroids are part of the game so just accept it" argument.   I suspect that "do whatever it takes to win" attitude is a front for real insecurities.  People like to say that the public expects this...and every other competitor uses that, so what choice do I have....I don't buy it.
I think that sports as big business probably create unrealistic expectations for athletes "like 70 homerun seasons" because they are selling a product.  They sell it, the public buys it, and the athlete feels like they have to rick their health to provide it.
Until all three of these issues are addressed I don't expect much to change.
While I agree that competitors are always looking for ways to get an edge and I believe thats healthy there has to be a point where OCD becomes a reality.  For me, that would be when I stop looking at ways I can improve my training and diet and start sticking needles into my muscles.   But thats just me.

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 05:21:09 PM »
all pain killers.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 05:27:55 PM »
MMA is a joke. It's as if the collective mind of the domesticated male spawned this sport where roided up, overally macho, gymrats all band together and pummel each other to prove who is more of a man. In an effort to prove to themselves violence is needed in everyday modern society. How gay
$

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 05:28:47 PM »
These idiots apparently did not do their research. As was said before epic wrong steroid taking.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 06:31:42 PM »
no its not , you dont know what your talking about, theres a differance between being a bb and traing for a fight,no one trains 7 hours day idiot , more like  2 , 2 and a half hours then break than back at it again  and more like 5 days with weekends off , and most fighters only lift 2-3 times a week with lots of cardio , easy to do this with out juice if your in shape , but you prolly wouldent know what thats like, there not lifting weights 5 days a week like bb doing stupid shit like traing your back and shoulders on monday and then doing chest and biceps on tuesday, no fighter would train like that , not evan the juiced up ones

No, most guys train 5-7 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. Usually grapple/strike for 2-3 hours in the morning, rest and eat, then another session in the afternoon followed by some weightlifting or cardio every other day or whatever. And you're a fucking moron, grappling and striking are a helluva lot harder on the body than bodybuilding. Or maybe you don't know what you're talking about and should stay out of this thread? I don't recall saying "weightlifting" anywhere.

But hey, I guess Arona, Wandy and all the other top fighters who are geared up are full of shit when they talk about how much they train.  ::)

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 07:16:36 PM »
no its not , you dont know what your talking about, theres a differance between being a bb and traing for a fight,no one trains 7 hours day idiot , more like  2 , 2 and a half hours then break than back at it again  and more like 5 days with weekends off , and most fighters only lift 2-3 times a week with lots of cardio , easy to do this with out juice if your in shape , but you prolly wouldent know what thats like, there not lifting weights 5 days a week like bb doing stupid shit like traing your back and shoulders on monday and then doing chest and biceps on tuesday, no fighter would train like that , not evan the juiced up ones
oh brothet another mma know it all ::)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »
Because nandrolone metabolites can be detected for up to 12 months after discontinuing use of it. Even longer depending on the test.
i have a fellow officer that just failed the test after 15 months :-\

bench

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
i have a fellow officer that just failed the test after 15 months :-\

bench
so police officers take steroids?

mind blowing ;D

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »
so police officers take steroids?

mind blowing ;D
i know, i stopped using 7 months before i took the job,and after i met most of the guys i work with it turned out i was one of the few clean guys there.

i havent used for damn near 2 years now,and i will not take them again until i retire at the ripe old age of 30 ;D

bench

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »
ya i do know it all , and you shouldent talk so much shit for a guy  who jucies and can only bench 250 , pathetic

hahaha, SS would stomp a mudhole in you. It's ok, you were made to look like a moron and a TUF fanboy. It's alright though, keep jerking off to this season's finale, I'm sure you'll "hit the big leagues in no time". You probably don't own enough TapOut gear. You need a minimum of shirt, short and headband to be labeled in TapOut logos before you can even think about stepping foot in a ring. Forget about training, Tap IT OUT!   ::)