Author Topic: List of Pros going to failure and those who don't!  (Read 2935 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
List of Pros going to failure and those who don't!
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:51:30 AM »
let's compare the no of pros believing in going to failure with those who don't!

GOING TO FAILURE

Art Atwood ""Always go for failure in a set, not necessarily a pump. Anybody can get a pump, but a pump doesn't mean you're growing. Failure means you're growing, it means all the fibers have been worked"

Mike Mentzer

Dorian Yates

Platz?

Mark Dugdale "Come train with me for a week. After that week, they say 'Gosh, I couldn't do two sets per exercise like that!' it's about going all out on the working sets - as much intensity in as short a time as possible"

NOT GOING TO FAILURE

Ronnie Coleman "Coleman trains hard, but he does not focus on reaching full-rep failure for each working set. In fact, he typically stops just before that ultimate point. What's more, he rarely employs forced reps, partial reps, negatives, descending sets, rest-pause or any other technique for pushing a set beyond failure."

Jay Cutler "For each exercise in my workout. I aim for eight to 10 reps with a weight that should bring me close to failure. I keep the sets at around three or four per exercise and rarely do any supersetting in the offseason"

Flex Wheeler

Kevin Levrone

Feel free to add names to this list so we can compare.
Z

TheDoctor

• Getbig III
  • I am Fat and Bulking,Im sensitive about my weight.
Re: List of Pros going to failure and those who doesn't
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:22:54 AM »
I train light not going to failure but concentrate on muscle mind connection for example the big three 225 for Deadlift,Bench,Squat 3 sets of 12 then one set of 15 then one set of 20 concentrating on contraction by going super slow on my last few reps short of failure by quite a margin probaly only 80% percent.
Going to failure does not make sense to me takes longer to recover and can cause injurie.
Flex never went to failure nor did Levrone they still had plenty of juice in the tank.
Natural vs juiced when i juiced i went to failure because i knew i would recover in time for next days training and took the big three to 400 ah the bad old days lifting for vanity.Unless you are juicing and going to compete why go to failure and juice.Just my opinion.
Goal to lift Heavy

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:39:20 AM »
...those who don't.

fix this immediately bluto. i'm on incorrect grammar alert after watching layne norton's video. >:(

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:58:51 AM »
...those who don't.

fix this immediately bluto. i'm on incorrect grammar alert after watching layne norton's video. >:(

Fixed
Z

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
Re: List of Pros going to failure and those who don't!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 06:13:24 AM »
i don't see many pros going to true failure on a set.

even the guys that use intensity techniques like forced reps always make sure the bar/bells/machine is moving all the time.

yates would go close to failure, but he had a very switched on training partner to keep the bar moving while still making it extremely hard.

imo, going to absolute failure is not a good idea because it teaches your mind to fail.

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 06:18:22 AM »
dorian was king of intensity and failure.

the others need to learn.

the disbelievers need to burn.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 06:30:19 AM »
suggest more for the list!

it's gonna include every pro !!!

past and present!
Z

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 06:30:29 AM »
I find it hard not to go to failure, i love intensity and high volume.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 12:02:34 PM »
Platz went as close as possible.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
Well, he's not a professioanl BB, but Chris Benoit went to ultimate failure on the Latpulldown.  ;D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 12:15:09 PM »

imo, going to absolute failure is not a good idea because it teaches your mind to fail.

hahaha oh brother ::)

E
E

TheEgoCrusher

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 12:16:42 PM »
I think Andreas Munzer trained to "failure" more effectively than any bodybuilder ever......

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »
I think Andreas Munzer trained to "failure" more effectively than any bodybuilder ever......

;D ;D ;D ;D

TP got close though...

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
on the streets they say squadfather built his monster chubby body with dorian like training

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »
I GOT FAILURE ON MY CHEAT MEALS.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 11:58:27 PM »
hahaha oh brother ::)

E

but, of course, that is why ballworshippers need to exist perpetually attached to another man's nutsack (levrone) because they have no mind of their own. ;D

what did you rep to failure with today earl?

let me guess, the same weight you've been doing for the last 5 years. ;)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 01:44:26 AM »
but, of course, that is why ballworshippers need to exist perpetually attached to another man's nutsack (levrone) because they have no mind of their own. ;D

what did you rep to failure with today earl?

let me guess, the same weight you've been doing for the last 5 years. ;)

you sure you want him to answer you what he repped to failure (wearing levrones posing trunks on his face)  :-\
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »
updated:

added mark dugdale
Z

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
i don't see many pros going to true failure on a set.

even the guys that use intensity techniques like forced reps always make sure the bar/bells/machine is moving all the time.

yates would go close to failure, but he had a very switched on training partner to keep the bar moving while still making it extremely hard.

We get pretty close...and do on many sets. But you're right, not ABSOLUTE failure -- I've only done that a handful of times in my life, and that puts you down for 10-30 minutes at least.

But Bluto knows better since he's obviously worked out with all those pros he's listed, took notes, and cataloged those who go to failure vs/ those who don't, on the Bluto Failure Scale (giving them their BFS) ranking 1 to 100.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 10:28:16 PM »
We get pretty close...and do on many sets. But you're right, not ABSOLUTE failure -- I've only done that a handful of times in my life, and that puts you down for 10-30 minutes at least.

But Bluto knows better since he's obviously worked out with all those pros he's listed, took notes, and cataloged those who go to failure vs/ those who don't, on the Bluto Failure Scale (giving them their BFS) ranking 1 to 100.

considering how long you've been hanging with guys like milos and hide in the gym, i have no doubt you have come close. i don't know you, but from what i've seen i get the impression you have an understanding of what true failure means.

it is difficult to explain what i'm talking about here re 'true failure' so i'll give an example of how a person can become deluded.

an average gym rat squats 100kgs for 10 reps with a spotter, the 7th - 10th reps are agonising to him and he needs help to finish the 10th.

the next time he comes in to squat that weight, he remembers how difficult it was to get those reps, he's had a shit day and, damn, no decent spotter in the gym.

the guy begins the set focused on everything that is wrong with his situation and all he can think about is failing to reach his goal for the day. 5th rep (oh my god, that was hard, i'm going to struggle to get 6, never mind ten), 6th rep performed slowly with zero confidence and strained look on his face, very slow rep, where he doesn't go deep enough and he knows it (i'm not going to get 7), fails on 7.

now, if this guy was able to focus properly like every champion athlete learns to do, he would have beaten 10 and probably moved up in weight next time, whereas all this man could actually focus on was FAILURE.

the fact that garraeth, an experienced trainee, says that it took 10-30 minutes to recover from true failure speaks volumes on what i'm talking about.

now i know most of you'd be thinking, "wtf, i go to failure all the time and it doesn't wipe me out for 10 - 30 minutes." well, no offence, but the simple fact is, you don't. it's your mind that goes to failure while your body goes to sleep. ;) 

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 10:55:14 PM »
with true failure u can only do 4-5 effective sets in a workout. (and that is once per 5 days to 7 days)
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!