Author Topic: Emmitt Smith defends Michael Vick  (Read 7113 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Emmitt Smith defends Michael Vick
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »
I was wondering who was going to be the first jackass to defend Vick. I figured it would be Sharpton or Jackson playing the race card but instead it's Emmitt Smith. Here's his quote taken from Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback.

"He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now, so they're putting the squeeze on him [Vick] to get to everyone else. Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he's not the one you're after. He's just the one who's going to take the fall -- publicly.''
-- All-time NFL rushing leader Emmitt Smith, speaking Saturday at his enshrinement in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Here's King's rebuttal.

Two issues here.

1. Nice to see Emmitt knows so much about the federal government's case. Didn't anyone ever tell him, "When there's an important issue out there, give an educated opinion if you have a good idea what you're talking about. If you're not sure what you're talking about, the only thing you can do by opening your mouth is look like you're 11 years old.''

2. It sounds very much like Smith empathizes with Vick's plight and doesn't find it very objectionable that Vick might have put a few bucks down on dogfights. Is he serious? Is there anything justifiable about Vick going to a single dogfight, or gambling a dime on a dogfight? Should the feds, once they had evidence from four corroborating witnesses that placed Vick in the middle of one dogfight after another, have ignored the evidence and not gone after him?

I have a bad feeling about Smith's tenure at ESPN, and it hasn't even started. His comments on Vick are so idiotic and inappropriate that a few people at the Worldwide Leader have to be thinking, "Uh-oh. What if we've gone and hired someone who's very famous but not very smart?''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/07/22/vick/2.html

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
Re: Emmitt Smith defends Michael Vick
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:56:19 PM »
I saw this interview on ESPN, and I didn't feel Emmitt was defending vick at all.

This is Peter King from CNNSI P.O.V. 

Go to espns site and watch the interview. If anything he's saying Vick will be used and abused and made an example of because of his high profile (right or wrong), and he isn't even near close to a big fish in the dog fighting game. He is going to be used to give out names..etc.

He didn't defend him at all I.M.O.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:25:29 PM »
I saw this interview on ESPN, and I didn't feel Emmitt was defending vick at all.

This is Peter King from CNNSI P.O.V. 

Go to espns site and watch the interview. If anything he's saying Vick will be used and abused and made an example of because of his high profile (right or wrong), and he isn't even near close to a big fish in the dog fighting game. He is going to be used to give out names..etc.

He didn't defend him at all I.M.O.

STFU!

I'm finding Emmit's business ventures NOW, and will be forwarding them to the blogs.

Here is one!
http://www.cypressequities.com/smithcypress.aspx

I'm a Dallas native and I can tell you people DO NOT LIKE EMMITT SMITH NOW!

He's actually a joke, he hada cellular business and it went bunk, and his personal enterprise went shit, his bodyguards have beat up fans at Sams on occasion asking for a autograph.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »
King took the quote from what Smith said at his enshrinement at the College Football Hall of Fame. I don't think it was from the interview he did with ESPN. I just watched the interview and he doesn't say the things King attributed to him. He echoes some of the points but he doesn't mention attending fights or laying bets. In fact he says a whole lot of nothing except that he thinks the Govt. is trying to force Vick to flip on others in the dog fighting business. He also wasn't critical of Vick at all in the interview.

Also, if you'll notice at one point Smith directly contradicts himself by saying the Govt. wants the big fish in the business not Vick that's why they're trying to get him to flip and then he says the Govt. is only going after Vick because he's the biggest fish.

Clearly either he can't articulate what he wants to say or King was right in his assessment that Smith probably isn't too bright.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »

If anything he's saying Vick will be used and abused and made an example of because of his high profile (right or wrong), and he isn't even near close to a big fish in the dog fighting game. He is going to be used to give out names..etc.

well he was funding the whole va dog fighting operation, placing very large wagers on fights, breeding, selling and transporting dogs for the purpose of fighting.   to me that makes him a pretty big fish.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 03:16:36 PM »
Emmitt took a few to many hits to his noggin. I thought Aikman was the guy who suffered all the concussions.
The House that Ruth built

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 03:47:48 PM »
Also, if you'll notice at one point Smith directly contradicts himself by saying the Govt. wants the big fish in the business not Vick that's why they're trying to get him to flip and then he says the Govt. is only going after Vick because he's the biggest fish.

Clearly either he can't articulate what he wants to say or King was right in his assessment that Smith probably isn't too bright.

He doesn't contradict himself.

Vick is the biggest Name they can pin this on, not implying he is the big fish behind the dog fighting.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:52:16 PM »
anyone who does taht to dogs is sick. fuck em
Valhalla awaits.

body88

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
Oh brother Smith is going to pay.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »
I don't think we should lose focus on the real culprit here, Vick.

Yes Emmit defended him, but he didn't break the law or do anything immoral in doing so, he just voiced his opinion. IMO, he should have kept his mouth shut.

But Vick on the other hand should be fed to the sharks, but I get a feeling a plea bargain will be struck. I see some counceling, donations to rescue orgs., and some sort of public restitution, maybe tv ads or something.

Too bad the system won't work like it should. If they do prosecute to the fullest I hope he gets the maximum penalty and I hope his sponsors and teammates wake up and see what a piece of shit he is.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 06:41:33 PM »
Too bad the system won't work like it should. If they do prosecute to the fullest I hope he gets the maximum penalty and I hope his sponsors and teammates wake up and see what a piece of shit he is.

I read that Va is pretty fast in handling cases.

On the 26th I guess we will know who he picked for a defense team.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
Nevermind here is his defense attorney

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946573

Hes defended a long list of thugs,,,,,maybe this attorney should be charged with something, haha

"Other high-profile professional athlete clients have included former NBA players Jayson Williams and Rod Strickland, current NBA stars Allen Iverson and Juwan Howard and boxer Riddick Bowe. "

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
STFU!

LOL what are you 9 yrs old.

Is this your response to everyone (ONLINE ONLY I MIGHT ADD) that doesn't agree with your punk a$$.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 08:45:03 PM »
Nevermind here is his defense attorney

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946573

Hes defended a long list of thugs,,,,,maybe this attorney should be charged with something, haha

"Other high-profile professional athlete clients have included former NBA players Jayson Williams and Rod Strickland, current NBA stars Allen Iverson and Juwan Howard and boxer Riddick Bowe. "
yeah the guy has a long list with those kinds of people
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »
Whatever Smith actually said, speaking on this in particular confirms that Smith's always been an annoying overly-opinionated loudmouth. He's not really that far off from the classless Michael Irvin.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 07:11:48 AM »
STFU!

I'm finding Emmit's business ventures NOW, and will be forwarding them to the blogs.

Here is one!
http://www.cypressequities.com/smithcypress.aspx

I'm a Dallas native and I can tell you people DO NOT LIKE EMMITT SMITH NOW!

He's actually a joke, he hada cellular business and it went bunk, and his personal enterprise went shit, his bodyguards have beat up fans at Sams on occasion asking for a autograph.

http://www.cypressequities.com/contact.aspx

Let the president of Emmit Smiths company know that what Smith did was inappropriate and request that no money of theirs goes to defending Michael Vick's legal case.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
Whatever Smith actually said, speaking on this in particular confirms that Smith's always been an annoying overly-opinionated loudmouth. He's not really that far off from the classless Michael Irvin.

Irvin has a drug problem, but when it comes to fans he's REALLY nice and down to earth he works out at a gym I go to off and on, he will be in the locker room, talking about exercises and talk game talk.

Smith has a posse that follow him around (not real "business like") and they have on numerous occasions pushed people around that simply asked for a autograph.

From what I hear Aikman, a class act guy that is himself, does not really associate with Smith that much anymore, Aikman has a Ford dealership, that is rolling in the money right now in Dallas.

Smith has had past business ventures that have failed terribly he's not a "people person" you might have noticed that when he was on dancing with the stars tv show, he lacks the one on one talk that presides itself in order to get deals done, his telcom business went boom, and no once expects this venture to go much anywhere either.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 05:07:30 PM »
Ya that sounds right; Irvin looks pretty genuine, so does Aikman, and not Smith.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »
I think Michael Irvin is silly at times, but I still like watching him on espn.

Emmitt Smith seems like a bit of a retard. He stutters all the time and just looks a little slow.

Aikman is all class, but seems like a snob.

Personally, I like Irvin best. I was a fan of his from he appeared on the Best Damn Sports Show Period.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 04:00:25 PM »
Yeah Irvin was like that in the locker room, but he quit going to the gym since we had one of those "lookers" some dude would go in act like he was getting dressed out to workout but take forever and would look at irvin, then when he got dressed out, he would go back in the locker room and change into work clothes very slowly, then do the process again.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 06:20:10 PM »
Yeah Irvin was like that in the locker room, but he quit going to the gym since we had one of those "lookers" some dude would go in act like he was getting dressed out to workout but take forever and would look at irvin, then when he got dressed out, he would go back in the locker room and change into work clothes very slowly, then do the process again.

Was it Scott Markey or Derek Anthony?
The House that Ruth built

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »
Maybe he can have a reality show where he attends cock fights?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 11:50:50 AM »
Nevermind this weekend Michael Irvin said some stupid shit about Vick and defended him, if he shows his face in the gym I'm going to fucking mock that fucing loser now and humiliate him, stood up for the fucer one too many times

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 11:02:31 PM »
I was wondering who was going to be the first jackass to defend Vick. I figured it would be Sharpton or Jackson playing the race card but instead it's Emmitt Smith. Here's his quote taken from Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback.

"He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now, so they're putting the squeeze on him [Vick] to get to everyone else. Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he's not the one you're after. He's just the one who's going to take the fall -- publicly.''
-- All-time NFL rushing leader Emmitt Smith, speaking Saturday at his enshrinement in the College Football Hall of Fame.

No where in Smith's comments do I see the "race card" being played. He expressed an opinion that they were going after Vick because he's a big fish. If anything YOU are the one interjecting race in Smith's opinion.

I'm neither defending Vick nor agreeing with Smith's assessment, ...merely pointing out the fallacy in your argument.
w

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
No where in Smith's comments do I see the "race card" being played. He expressed an opinion that they were going after Vick because he's a big fish. If anything YOU are the one interjecting race in Smith's opinion.

I'm neither defending Vick nor agreeing with Smith's assessment, ...merely pointing out the fallacy in your argument.

Excellent point, except for the fact that I didn't say Smith was playing the race card. What I said was I thought the first people to defend Vick would be Sharpton or Jackson using the race card as their reasoning. I never said Smith was using the race card, instead I said he was the first to defend Vick. 

I suppose I can see how you misinterpreted what I wrote but perhaps asking me first before accusing me would have been a better tactic.