Author Topic: I saved a baby kitten last night.  (Read 12676 times)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
I saved a baby kitten last night.
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:01:02 AM »
Last night on my way home I saw this little kitten sitting in the middle of a busy street (it was all of maybe 5-6 weeks old).  I pulled my car by it, opened the door, jumped out and grabbed it.  As I was picking it up I saw another on under a car that was sitting at the light.  I threw the kitten in my car and then banged on the guys window and told him not to move, that there was a kitten under his car.  He got out and we looked and it disappeared.  The guy then said there was a stray that had kittens by his house and then he noticed the kittens and cat disappeared.  I asked him where he lived and he said around the corner.  I then came to the conclusion that the kittens crawled up into his car.  I had him shut off his car and open his hood.  Low and behold ... you could see another kitten.  Then a cop came by and I told him what was going on.  He and the guy were looking through the guys car.   They said they could see 4 other kittens.  I almost died.  I had to go so I took the kitten that was in my car with me.  I think they were all in his chasse of his car and started falling out when he approached the light (the one I took was a car length away from his car and the other kitten was directly under his car).  Had I not seen the kitten, it would have probably gotten hit by another car (it looked like a rolled up piece of paper) and the others would have probably gotten killed in the car's fan or burned to death by the motor.  :(  So I took it home and it hissed at me and even clawed my face (just a little scratch) so I figure it is scared to death of where it is and people in general.  I put him in Rocky's crate to settle down.  Here is the pictures of the little guy.
:D Weee

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: I saved a baby kitten last night.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:03:31 AM »
Good job Laura!  Do you plan to keep him?
R

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:09:22 AM »
Good job Laura!  Do you plan to keep him?
No, I can't.  Not with Rocky.  Rocky is too hyper and would end up pissing the kitten off and getting an eyeball scratched out.   :-[

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:30:30 AM »

Good Job!   He's a cutie!!!   I hope you find him a good home.   :)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
  Good Job!   He's a cutie!!!   I hope you find him a good home.   :)
Thanks Flower, me too.  It is a beautiful looking kitten.  Blue eyes.  I think one of it's parents may be Siamese or Persian.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:39:21 AM »
Thanks Flower, me too.  It is a beautiful looking kitten.  Blue eyes.  I think one of it's parents may be Siamese or Persian.

That's what I was thinking because of his nose.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:46:59 AM »
  That's what I was thinking because of his nose.
lol, that could be grease, as it was up under the guys engine.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »
laura is my hero thusly I will use her for my day's inspiration on this day tuesday july 24th 2007

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 07:55:16 AM »
lol, that could be grease, as it was up under the guys engine.

You should call him Fonzie then!!   ;D

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 07:57:34 AM »
You should call him Fonzie then!!   ;D
LOL, that is cute!  Mike named him Snowball.  I think he likes it.  :D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 08:10:30 AM »
Good job ;)

make sure who ever ends up getting this kitten gets it tested for FeLV and once its older, FIV.

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »
No, I can't.  Not with Rocky.  Rocky is too hyper and would end up pissing the kitten off and getting an eyeball scratched out.   :-[

couldn't you get him declawed?
i

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 08:32:54 AM »
Hmmm, I could, couldn't I.  Although I always thought it was mean to do, but if it meant he couldn't hurt Rocky or my furniture....

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 09:38:24 AM »
Hmmm, I could, couldn't I.  Although I always thought it was mean to do, but if it meant he couldn't hurt Rocky or my furniture....

It's not mean as long as he's kept inside, outdoors he's defenseless but a lot of ppl do it to prevent scratching up furniture, etc.

OR, you could always learn to control that "beast" Rocky, hahah....seriously if they met they might be friends, stranger things have happened.
i

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 09:48:56 AM »

NO! NO! NO! Declawing is incredibly cruel and painful. What you have a feral kitten who is young enough to be tamed with patience and a LOT of handling, holding, playing and isolation. If you socialize him too soon with ANY other animal he/she will bond with the animal but not with humans. Then you will have a feral cat with no hope of ever being tame and adoptable. 

Find a rescue group that will let you show him/her for adoption. Go back to the guy and help him trap Mama and get her fixed then return her.

You've completed step one which was getting her/him off the street but you still have steps 2 through 8 to complete.

You can PM me and I'll give you my contact info if you need some help with this.

About declawing:

http://www.declawing.com/

and keep moving!

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 09:56:09 AM »
NO! NO! NO! Declawing is incredibly cruel and painful. What you have a feral kitten who is young enough to be tamed with patience and a LOT of handling, holding, playing and isolation. If you socialize him too soon with ANY other animal he/she will bond with the animal but not with humans. Then you will have a feral cat with no hope of ever being tame and adoptable. 

Find a rescue group that will let you show him/her for adoption. Go back to the guy and help him trap Mama and get her fixed then return her.

You've completed step one which was getting her/him off the street but you still have steps 2 through 8 to complete.

i guess those are valid points, i'm no cat lover/owner so you might should listen to max instead :-\
i

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 10:22:57 AM »

I thought Mike was allergic to cats?

And declawing is barbaric, the proper term should be de-toeing. 

Soft paws are an option also instead of declawing.  They even come in colors!

http://www.softpaws.com/

I am not a cat expert, but I think usually a cat won't use it's claws on another household pet unless it absolutely has too, meaning it wouldn't just go and try and scratch an eye out.     Max-Rep could give more information on that I'm sure.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »
I agree...declawing sounds pretty awful...humans tend to think they are doing an animal a favor by altering its natural state...in some instances i understand it (spaying a dog so it doesn't bleed etc...) but declawing just sounds wrong. 
footloose and fancy free

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
Training, soft paws, and distraction should all be considered before declawing.  if there is a surgeon around who does it, tendonectomy is something that can be considered too.  What this does is remove the tendons so the claws cant be "put out".  You have to vigilant with nail trimming, but its less invasive than cutting off the toe tips.

To declaw a domestic cat you do amputate the tip of the digit (basically the third phalanx).  Done correctly with adequate pain medication post operatively the vast majority of the cats I've seen don't have residual pain or lameness issues.  As a matter of fact the majority of the kittens are too active post operatively and there is a risk of them opening up the incision sites.  That said, I've also seen a few cats in which case there was absolutely no doubt they had a botched surgery and they had ongoing problems.  The older the cat is, the harder the surgery is on them--unfortunately many cats territorial behaviorial issues that fuel scratching dont come out until the cat is mature.   

If the choice for the cat is euthanasia (ie a cat that is scratching the owner or insisting on destroying the house) or declaw, declawing becomes an alternative that needs to be considered.  I will only declaw domestic cats, and then only do a front declaw unless there is extenuating circumstances.  I flat out refuse to declaw any exotic cat species no matter who the owner is unless there is a valid medical reason to consider that surgery.  If you want to own a tiger, you can own one with claws as far as I'm concerned.

And DO NOT think a front declawed cat is defenseless.  Some of the scars I've got on my right arm have come from a declawed cat.  That cat basically filleted me with its hind feet while it bit the crap out of me.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 10:47:03 AM »
I almost forgot to say Laura... good job. I certainly didn't want to let that go unacknowledged.

If you choose to Rocky and the kitten CAN be socialized BUT there is a process to it. Rocky's home is being invaded and he is watching kitten get love and attention. He will need lot's of reassuring. If he does not feel threatened, he will accept the kitten. Short SUPERVISED social time together gradually lengthening the time.  

If you choose to foster the kitten and adopt him/her out, there is a process. Most adoption groups will let you "show" her AND they will guide you. Most importantly, they will SCREEN the possible adoptees. This is CRITICAL, as you don't want the kitten to end up in a bad home.

The are probably several groups in your immediate area and you it may take a little time getting comfortable with them. Pick a group that has SANE people (yes there are crazy cat women who run some of these groups BUT some very good and sane ones as well) that act professionally and are helpful to you.

and keep moving!

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 11:30:13 AM »

You can PM me and I'll give you my contact info if you need some help with this.

About declawing:

http://www.declawing.com/

I believe I saw the mama on the side of the street today on my way to work.  She had been hit by a car.   :'(

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
let's just hope fonzie dos'nt need a cone on his little head in the near future because I don't think he'd be able to hold h it up and then his neck muscles would get all tweaked and it would'nt be a good thing if he had to spend the rest of his life walkin around with his face draggin on the floor

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »
I believe I saw the mama on the side of the street today on my way to work.  She had been hit by a car.   :'(

Let’s remember that for this kitten’s entire life she has had NO human contact. The only contact with other animals has been Mama, siblings and MAYBE papa (you’d be surprised at how protective some Tom’s can be). She has been taught to fear, run and protect herself from other animals and from humans.

In addition her entire World as she’s known it has been turned upside down. She’s been dropped in the middle of a street, separated from Mama and siblings, swooped up by a human whose size in comparison to what she’s known is not any different than if we where picked up and held by King Kong. Of course she’s scared, hissing, spitting and scratching!

That will ALL change within a week to two weeks but you MUST handle it properly starting today.   
and keep moving!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 06:30:48 PM »
Laura, you should ship that cat to Geo since hes returned to GB. Hes a pussy lover from wayyyyyyy back.
X

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 06:36:34 PM »
Last night on my way home I saw this little kitten sitting in the middle of a busy street (it was all of maybe 5-6 weeks old).  I pulled my car by it, opened the door, jumped out and grabbed it.  As I was picking it up I saw another on under a car that was sitting at the light.  I threw the kitten in my car and then banged on the guys window and told him not to move, that there was a kitten under his car.  He got out and we looked and it disappeared.  The guy then said there was a stray that had kittens by his house and then he noticed the kittens and cat disappeared.  I asked him where he lived and he said around the corner.  I then came to the conclusion that the kittens crawled up into his car.  I had him shut off his car and open his hood.  Low and behold ... you could see another kitten.  Then a cop came by and I told him what was going on.  He and the guy were looking through the guys car.   They said they could see 4 other kittens.  I almost died.  I had to go so I took the kitten that was in my car with me.  I think they were all in his chasse of his car and started falling out when he approached the light (the one I took was a car length away from his car and the other kitten was directly under his car).  Had I not seen the kitten, it would have probably gotten hit by another car (it looked like a rolled up piece of paper) and the others would have probably gotten killed in the car's fan or burned to death by the motor.  :(  So I took it home and it hissed at me and even clawed my face (just a little scratch) so I figure it is scared to death of where it is and people in general.  I put him in Rocky's crate to settle down.  Here is the pictures of the little guy.

Laura:  nicely done.  I too found a kitten last november.  He was in a busy bus station.   I found him meowing under a parked car.  He had every parasite known to the catworld.   After the initial $200.00 dollar workup, he was given a bill of health.  I planned originally to give him to a "no kill shelter", but I kept him.  He is now a big orange tabby!

spotter