Author Topic: From Gary Bauer's Newsletter  (Read 2643 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
From Gary Bauer's Newsletter
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »
Surge Is Working; Defeatists Don’t Care

By the day, evidence is growing that the U.S. “surge” in Iraq, declared a failure even before it had begun, is in fact working. The U.S. military, as usual, is performing courageously on the field of battle, dislodging Al Qaeda and its allies from strongholds, reducing their sanctuaries and doing it all with minimal civilian casualties. As U.S. forces kill and capture the thugs, more and more Iraqis are willing to throw in with us. In Anbar province, U.S. forces have closed a deal with Sunni and Shiite tribal leaders resulting in joint military operations against Al Qaeda.

Al Qaeda has other problems too. Its bloodthirsty, barbaric tactics are causing a backlash even among some of its own members. In one neighborhood in South Baghdad, locals are switching sides to support us after Al Qaeda thugs started cutting off people’s faces with piano wire. Even an Al Qaeda cell leader crossed over and has provided the U.S. with vital intelligence information. When asked why he had abandoned Al Qaeda, he replied, “Because I’m sick of it and I hate them, and I am done.” (By the way, you’re not likely to read such reports in any of the domestic media. I learned of this report from the London Times.)

But here in Washington, powerful people, sadly, have a stake in our defeat in Iraq. Senator Harry Reid has repeatedly announced that we have already lost. Seventy liberal members of the House of Representatives, along with Republican Ron Paul of Texas, have written to President Bush warning him that they will not vote for more funding for our troops unless all of them are “redeployed” out of Iraq before Bush leaves office. General Petraeus is supposed to bring his report to Congress in the next few months, but no matter what he says, the surrender contingent in Congress has already made up its mind.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: From Gary Bauer's Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 04:57:13 AM »
Regardless of whether or not the surge works, I think the past few years have proved false the neocons' principle that all people around the world want freedom and democracy. The behavior of the Iraqis and Palestinians in particular shows that democracy and freedom isn't anywhere near the top of their agendas.

So why we should sacrifice so much to continue to bring them freedom is beyond. Let them wallow in their dark ages.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 06:05:48 AM »

By the day, evidence is growing that the U.S. “surge” in Iraq, declared a failure even before it had begun, is in fact working. The U.S. military, as usual, is performing courageously on the field of battle, dislodging Al Qaeda and its allies from strongholds, reducing their sanctuaries and doing it all with minimal civilian casualties. As U.S. forces kill and capture the thugs, more and more Iraqis are willing to throw in with us. In Anbar province, U.S. forces have closed a deal with Sunni and Shiite tribal leaders resulting in joint military operations against Al Qaeda.

Al Qaeda has other problems too. Its bloodthirsty, barbaric tactics are causing a backlash even among some of its own members. In one neighborhood in South Baghdad, locals are switching sides to support us after Al Qaeda thugs started cutting off people’s faces with piano wire. Even an Al Qaeda cell leader crossed over and has provided the U.S. with vital intelligence information. When asked why he had abandoned Al Qaeda, he replied, “Because I’m sick of it and I hate them, and I am done.” (By the way, you’re not likely to read such reports in any of the domestic media. I learned of this report from the London Times.)

But here in Washington, powerful people, sadly, have a stake in our defeat in Iraq. Senator Harry Reid has repeatedly announced that we have already lost. Seventy liberal members of the House of Representatives, along with Republican Ron Paul of Texas, have written to President Bush warning him that they will not vote for more funding for our troops unless all of them are “redeployed” out of Iraq before Bush leaves office. General Petraeus is supposed to bring his report to Congress in the next few months, but no matter what he says, the surrender contingent in Congress has already made up its mind.

blindly agree with bush: patriot
disagree with his running of the war from the outset: defeatist

yeah..it all makes sense.
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:23:17 AM »
Who is blindly agreeing. It seems to me that anybody who happens to agree with Bush is blindly agreeing while people who don't,  are battle hardened vets who have been well schooled in all manner of military tactics and history, while simultaneously and apparently through ozmosis, become experts on foreign policy. But since Libs don't join the military, and choose to hide behind diplomacy. We know thats not true. So it seems its better to hate Bush and pull out of Iraq, then try and win a war that many of us, not you, us, have sacrificed for. If the insurgents all quit tommorrow, would we still need to pull out defeated. I bet many Bush haters would say yes. The Surge looks like it is working. Lets see what happens in September before allowing the junior Clauswitzian libs to dictate when and if we've lost.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:43:16 AM »
Who is blindly agreeing. It seems to me that anybody who happens to agree with Bush is blindly agreeing while people who don't,  are battle hardened vets who have been well schooled in all manner of military tactics and history, while simultaneously and apparently through ozmosis, become experts on foreign policy. But since Libs don't join the military, and choose to hide behind diplomacy. We know thats not true. So it seems its better to hate Bush and pull out of Iraq, then try and win a war that many of us, not you, us, have sacrificed for. If the insurgents all quit tommorrow, would we still need to pull out defeated. I bet many Bush haters would say yes. The Surge looks like it is working. Lets see what happens in September before allowing the junior Clauswitzian libs to dictate when and if we've lost.

i did 5 years in the army shithead..you ought to find out before you make stupid statements...
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:48:01 AM »
Stupid statements?.when and at what rank. Then we can continue.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:49:52 AM »

interesting..paul wolfowitz was never in the military yet he was former deputy secretary of defense who marginalized eric shinseki's  recommendations on troop strength in iraq..funny, you say the republicans are for the military yet they ran him out on a rail and mocked recommendations that have now come back to bite bushie in the ass...oh and can't forget the stellar military record of georgie bush...and donald rumsfeld for that matter...yeah, i'd put their records up against anthony zinni, shinseki, wesley clark, and colin powell's combat experience in vietnam...it is said that those who never fought are the first ones to start a fight while those who have been in battle look to avoid one...bushie and his boys seem to fit that statement.
footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »
94-99 ...left as an e6...what does that have to do with anything...yeah i forgot..if you aren't there then you have no right to question..typical neo-con foolishness.

how blindly loyal can you be..of all people you should be questioning why you are stuck in such a mess without much of a plan to get out..yet you seem to want to dance with the devil.
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:21:12 AM »
Well yeah actually..new war, new fight , new equation. I've been in since 1991 both as an enlisted guy and now an officer. I don't even comment alot about the day to day stuff in Iraq because when i was there it was a war like you were trained how to fight, not this IED stuff. I hate Wolfiwitz and Rummy as much if not more then you. They really screwed up. Read some of my other posts, I'm not a neocon nor a fan of the current situation in Iraq. But as far as loyalty, did u have an Vietnam vets in your unit? Maybe not, but your on the bubble as far as time frame so u might have had a few guys.  They talked about a hollow Army/Marine corp after nam. I'm still in and I'm not going through that. no money to train, no new weapons systems, no respect. I'm not doing it. We seem to have a direction in Iraq, and it might work. I'm willing to see what happens. We screwed up after the invasion, now it remians to be seen if the American people want to win and leave or duck and run.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 08:26:14 AM »

Over 4 years, 700 billion dollars and the worlds finest military, only half of Baghdad is secure.

Half of Baghdad Now Under Control http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6746914,00.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:42:14 AM »
Yeah I get it, nobody at this point should say that we did what we needed to to secure Bagdad after the invasion. I was there, I saw what they did and didn't do. It was a mess.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 08:58:15 AM »
Yeah I get it, nobody at this point should say that we did what we needed to to secure Bagdad after the invasion. I was there, I saw what they did and didn't do. It was a mess.
I hate arguing with you on this point b/c you are there (or were there) and you had to do the best you could while I didn't.  In one way, I sort of understand your impatience at having your hands tied in Iraq meaning you cannot execute your job the way you want b/c of prior constraints--e.g., ROE.  Your frustration is palpable.  The mess over there is extremely complex with all sorts of political ramifications and I can see that sometimes the idea of wiping away the problem militarily is very appealing.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »
I don' think what we do is arguing, its debating. Its not so much the bombing back to the stone age approach I'm advocating. i think groos misteps were made in the beginning. Not enough force, not enough guys, wrong civilian leadership etc, that have made and are making the job over there almost impossible. I think Bush had political capital and the will after 911 and well into 2003 to get the job done right and we blew it. Why we blew it is long and lengthy and does not all fall at Bush's feet. Its partly military, partly political, partly historical and none of it  starts at the beginning of Bush's presidency. Its all very complicated.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 09:59:59 AM »
I said to myself, "Who in the rat's butt is Gary Bauer  ???"

::)

American Values, President
Campaign for Working Families, Chairman
Family Research Council, Past President
Project for the New American Century
Christians United For Israel, Executive Board

Oh of course ::)  Super dooper ooper source scooper on why the surge in working :P

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
hhahahahahahahahhaha.... ........................ ...........

I should stop laughing sometime 12 years after the last time I hear "stay the course" or when hell freezes over...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »
The article is not a good source nor indication that the surge is workinbg. But there are plenty of good sources that say it is. it still might be too late from a political standpoint to stay, but i'm willing to wait until Sept.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 10:49:52 AM »
The article is not a good source nor indication that the surge is workinbg. But there are plenty of good sources that say it is. it still might be too late from a political standpoint to stay, but i'm willing to wait until Sept.
September???  It's already been moved to October "before we'll know" and into next year before any talk be considered according to Bush.  and on... and on... and on.... we go....

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
i'm all for bombing them back to the stone age..at least we'd be moving towards resolution...and cheap oil...but this crap that's going on is just brutal.
footloose and fancy free

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
I don' think what we do is arguing, its debating. Its not so much the bombing back to the stone age approach I'm advocating. i think groos misteps were made in the beginning. Not enough force, not enough guys, wrong civilian leadership etc, that have made and are making the job over there almost impossible. I think Bush had political capital and the will after 911 and well into 2003 to get the job done right and we blew it. Why we blew it is long and lengthy and does not all fall at Bush's feet. Its partly military, partly political, partly historical and none of it  starts at the beginning of Bush's presidency. Its all very complicated.
Great post, HH6!  This is the million dollar post imo. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 03:53:20 PM »
The one thing I would not blame is the military.  Seems with what they've been handed (a complete and utter bullshit mission) they've done extraordinary.  Larger forces were recommended at the start, page back in your files and find out what happened to those recommendations and the Generals who made them and who axed those numbers and who it was who had "complete confidence" in that person.  And yea, this falls at Bush's feet, don't for a second tell me it wouldn't all be falling at Clinton's feet had he been the man behind this--It would have.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 06:19:34 AM »
for a little clarification on the last post:

General Shinseki, could you give us some idea as to the magnitude of the Army's force requirement for an occupation of Iraq following a successful completion of the war?

GEN. SHINSEKI: In specific numbers, I would have to rely on combatant commanders' exact requirements. But I think --

SEN. LEVIN: How about a range?

GEN. SHINSEKI: I would say that what's been mobilized to this point -- something on the order of several hundred thousand soldiers are probably, you know, a figure that would be required. We're talking about post-hostilities control over a piece of geography that's fairly significant, with the kinds of ethnic tensions that could lead to other problems. And so it takes a significant ground- force presence to maintain a safe and secure environment, to ensure that people are fed, that water is distributed, all the normal responsibilities that go along with administering a situation like this.

here's the military genius paul wolfowitz's response:

Rumsfeld and his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, called Shinseki's estimate "far off the mark" [14] and "wildly off the mark". Wolfowitz said it would be "hard to believe" more troops would be required for post-war Iraq than to remove Saddam Hussein from power. [1] Specifically, Wolfowitz said to the House Budget Committee on February 27, 2003:

DEP. SEC. WOLFOWITZ: There has been a good deal of comment - some of it quite outlandish - about what our postwar requirements might be in Iraq. Some of the higher end predictions we have been hearing recently, such as the notion that it will take several hundred thousand U.S. troops to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq, are wildly off the mark. It is hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war itself and to secure the surrender of Saddam's security forces and his army - hard to imagine

glad bush trusted his military...

it gets better only this time it was that other noted military strategist donald rumsfeld:

Personality clashes apart, Shinseki and Rumsfeld had significantly different approaches to military doctrine. For example, following September 11, 2001, Rumsfeld was in a meeting whose subject was the review of the Department of Defense's (Contingency) Plan in the event of a war with Iraq (U.S. Central Command OPLAN 1003-98). [11] The plan (as it was then conceived) contemplated troop levels of up to 500,000, which Rumsfeld opined was far too many. Gordon and Trainor wrote:

As [General] Newbold outlined the plan … it was clear that Rumsfeld was growing increasingly irritated. For Rumsfeld, the plan required too many troops and supplies and took far too long to execute. It was, Rumsfeld declared, the "product of old thinking and the embodiment of everything that was wrong with the military."

[T]he Plan . . . reflected long-standing military principles about the force levels that were needed to defeat Iraq, control a population of more than 24 million, and secure a nation the size of California with porous borders. Rumsfeld's numbers, in contrast, seemed to be pulled out of thin air. He had dismissed one of the military's long-standing plans, and suggested his own force level without any of the generals raising a cautionary flag.

yeah,,,i think you can lay this at bush's feet..he trusted these two clowns over a combat vet, respected by his peers and the chief of staff....

footloose and fancy free

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »
Good point.  But I take issue with this:

"Why we blew it is long and lengthy and does not all fall at Bush's feet."

The buck stops at his desk.  As commander and chief, he, and he alone, gave the order to invade Iraq.  The invasion doesn't happen if he does not order it. 

I won't address the obvious cherry-picking of information his administration embarked on to make Iraq look like an Al Qaeda pipeline WMD world beater.  Just read his State of the Union address prior to the invasion.

The president sets the agenda and tone for the country's battle with terrorism.  Bush's strategy and policy on the matter are losers.  Al Qaeda's resurgence, the explosion of worldwide terrorism and the debacle in Iraq are all testimonials to that conclusion.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 10:41:22 AM »

I agree.  Well said.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
for a little clarification on the last post:

General Shinseki, could you give us some idea as to the magnitude of the Army's force requirement for an occupation of Iraq following a successful completion of the war?

GEN. SHINSEKI: In specific numbers, I would have to rely on combatant commanders' exact requirements. But I think --

SEN. LEVIN: How about a range?

GEN. SHINSEKI: I would say that what's been mobilized to this point -- something on the order of several hundred thousand soldiers are probably, you know, a figure that would be required. We're talking about post-hostilities control over a piece of geography that's fairly significant, with the kinds of ethnic tensions that could lead to other problems. And so it takes a significant ground- force presence to maintain a safe and secure environment, to ensure that people are fed, that water is distributed, all the normal responsibilities that go along with administering a situation like this.

here's the military genius paul wolfowitz's response:

Rumsfeld and his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, called Shinseki's estimate "far off the mark" [14] and "wildly off the mark". Wolfowitz said it would be "hard to believe" more troops would be required for post-war Iraq than to remove Saddam Hussein from power. [1] Specifically, Wolfowitz said to the House Budget Committee on February 27, 2003:

DEP. SEC. WOLFOWITZ: There has been a good deal of comment - some of it quite outlandish - about what our postwar requirements might be in Iraq. Some of the higher end predictions we have been hearing recently, such as the notion that it will take several hundred thousand U.S. troops to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq, are wildly off the mark. It is hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war itself and to secure the surrender of Saddam's security forces and his army - hard to imagine

glad bush trusted his military...

it gets better only this time it was that other noted military strategist donald rumsfeld:

Personality clashes apart, Shinseki and Rumsfeld had significantly different approaches to military doctrine. For example, following September 11, 2001, Rumsfeld was in a meeting whose subject was the review of the Department of Defense's (Contingency) Plan in the event of a war with Iraq (U.S. Central Command OPLAN 1003-98). [11] The plan (as it was then conceived) contemplated troop levels of up to 500,000, which Rumsfeld opined was far too many. Gordon and Trainor wrote:

As [General] Newbold outlined the plan … it was clear that Rumsfeld was growing increasingly irritated. For Rumsfeld, the plan required too many troops and supplies and took far too long to execute. It was, Rumsfeld declared, the "product of old thinking and the embodiment of everything that was wrong with the military."

[T]he Plan . . . reflected long-standing military principles about the force levels that were needed to defeat Iraq, control a population of more than 24 million, and secure a nation the size of California with porous borders. Rumsfeld's numbers, in contrast, seemed to be pulled out of thin air. He had dismissed one of the military's long-standing plans, and suggested his own force level without any of the generals raising a cautionary flag.

yeah,,,i think you can lay this at bush's feet..he trusted these two clowns over a combat vet, respected by his peers and the chief of staff....

Good post.
Bush never got the military side, all he got was that duel headed idiots' filtered response. This is why I blame the senior service folks. They could have done more. They let Rumsfeld, who they all came to hate, tell them that years of planning was wrong. He likes shinny toys, tanks aren't very shiny or sexy, unless ur in one and it saves your life. Further tanks scare the hell outa people, kinda like A-10's and Apaches's...all stuff Rummy would rather shelve and buy super expensive jets that no service wants.
L