Author Topic: And They Say There's No Such Thing as Global Climate Change  (Read 1176 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

Tue 24 Jul 2007

Flooded Britain: Eight severe flood warnings and
50 other flood warnings remained in place after
last week's downpours. Picture: Donald Macleod

Thousands hit by worst-ever floods
RAYMOND HAINEY

BRITAIN is in the grip of the worst floods in its history, officials said last night as up to 350,000 households faced losing fresh water and 40,000 more were without power.

Eight severe flood warnings and 50 other flood warnings remained in place after last week's downpours in which some areas had the equivalent of a month's rain in just one hour.

The Environment Agency (EA) in England and Wales said water levels were not expected to peak until today.

At their height, some rivers will be more than 20ft higher than normal. The areas hit hardest were Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire.

Anthony Perry a spokesman for the EA said: "We have not seen flooding of this magnitude before . The benchmark was 1947 and this has already exceeded it."

In Scotland, six homes and a pub were flooded after a burn burst its banks in a flash flood at West Barns near Dunbar, East Lothian. A fire crew was called out to pump out the basement of the home of an elderly couple after several inches of water came close to mains wiring.

In England, insurers fear the final bill could be as high as £2bn - although Britain is likely to be eligible for a special natural disaster payment from the EU.

Severn Trent Water confirmed "at least" 350,000 homes in Gloucestershire would be without water after the failure of its water treatment centre at Mythe, near Tewkesbury. More than 40,000 families are already without power following the shutdown of the county's Castlemead substation while 150 firefighters and Royal Navy personnel battled to pump water away from the Walham sub-station which serves half a million homes.

Severn Trent Water handed out 150,000 litres of bottled water throughout the area.

In Oxfordshire and Berkshire, at least 700 homes were flooded, while parts of Herefordshire were also without power.

Tim Brain, chief constable of Gloucestershire Police, said the force's main priority was to keep power running at Walham sub-station, and he said the "prognosis was good".

Thousands of homes across central and southern England filled with water, forcing mass evacuations.

Facilities at the UK's nuclear warhead Atomic Weapons Establishment's (AWE) sites in Aldermaston and Burghfield, near Reading, were also affected.

A sewage plant flooded on one of the sites but tests carried out on flood water for potential radiation discovered no contamination on either site.

The EA warned that the River Thames, which passes through Oxford, would peak early today, while Bedford will be threatened by the swollen River Ouse and Gloucester will be at risk from floodwaters from the River Severn.

Oxford County Council has already evacuated many residents from their homes and turned the Kassam football stadium into an emergency centre capable of coping with up to 1,500 people.

In the ancient market town of Tewkesbury yesterday, only the mediaeval abbey and a few houses were still unaffected by floodwaters.

Meanwhile, an elderly woman was rescued after being trapped in her upturned car in a stream in Dorset.

The car plunged down the embankment of the stream and landed on the driver's side in the stream, at Beaminster.

The woman, who has not been named, battled to keep her head above water as rescuers used scaffolding to stop the Peugeot 206 drifting further out into the swollen waters.

More than 50 RSPCA inspectors and officials have been deployed to the worst affected areas to help save animals trapped by rising water.

In Oxfordshire, 200 cattle were rescued from a flooded field near Witham and 15 cattle were saved from drowning in 5ft of water in Eynsham, near Whitney.

Sheep up to their necks in water were saved from a field near Oxford, while a man and a woman on a narrowboat near Bampton were taken to safety.

In Gloucestershire, 40 sheep and a pony were saved from a flood-stricken farm near Chaceley.

Although the EA said the current floods were the worst it had dealt with, many will recall the high tide and storm of January 1953 which claimed the lives of 300 people and caused damage estimated at over £5 billion in today's money.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
Re: And They Say There's No Such Thing as Global Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:42:31 AM »

Tue 24 Jul 2007

How Britannia rues the waves
MICHAEL HOWIE

THEY are scenes the likes of which the country has never before seen. Towns and villages stranded in the middle of newly formed lakes, houses under feet of floodwater, a huge relief operation to reach the hundreds of thousands left without electricity and fresh-water supplies. Livestock drowned, homes ruined, boats swept from their moorings, cherished photographs lost forever.

Thousands upon thousands of people are counting the cost of unprecedented havoc wreaked by severe floods across the southern shires of England. But this may be the summer weather we will all have to learn to live with.

The recent downpours may have been brought about by exceptional changes to the Gulf Stream, but the extreme rainfalls, arriving in England with such devastating impact on Friday, are something that climatologists acknowledge will occur more frequently as global warming kicks in.

Marion Percy's kitchen in Maidenhead was suddenly engulfed by 3ft-deep floodwater. "It came in so quickly - and we're two-and-a-half miles away from the river," she said. "We've been promised sandbags for weeks now and today we were promised sandbags two hours ago and they still haven't turned up."

Mrs Percy's criticism of the official response to the floods has been echoed by many. Professor Ian Cluckie, chairman of the national Flood-Risk Management Research Consortium, said that Herefordshire, Oxfordshire and the other regions hit by the floods should have been better prepared.

"The Met Office forecast was wonderful - no-one can blame them. But there will be embarrassment within the Environment Agency," he said. "They tried to set up temporary defences, but simply left it too late. When they did, they couldn't get through the roads because they were flooded."

Critics have been quick to round on government plans to build up to three million more new houses on flood plains, ridiculing a decision that they say will simply ensure misery for many more people.

Professor Bill McGuire, director of the Benfield UCL Hazard Research Centre, said: "We need to be aware that anywhere on a flood plain could flood at any time - winter or summer - and take remedial action now.

"Any plans to build new properties on flood plains, given current climate-change predictions and recent events, would be irresponsible in the extreme."

But according to Prof Cluckie, of Bristol University, a ban on such development is simply not an option. "We can't stop cities like London from expanding. What we have to do is get the flood-proofing right."

After all, he points out, everyone in the Netherlands lives on a flood plain, while 70 per cent of the population of Japan does. In Britain, only 10 per cent of people face the threat of bursting riverbanks.

Housing regulations, or the lack of them, is an important issue. "They are totally screwed up," said Prof Cluckie. Houses in flood plains should be wired from the ceiling down, he said. "Instead, they are built up from the skirting boards, which is crazy.

"They should be using tiles instead of plaster. These houses should have to be cleaned out when a flood hits, not completely rebuilt."

Prof Cluckie said the pressure to build more houses may be causing corners to be cut.

He said the current state of flood defences was "not right" and urged massive investment in sluices and effective barriers to help the country's flood plains cope when the rains do strike.

In Hull, where the majority of residents live below sea level, hundreds of millions of pounds of damage was caused in last month's flooding. Prof Cluckie said the devastation meant that more power needed to be given to Britain's cities to cope with the fallout from such extreme weather.

"There used to be a chief engineer in every city. Now I can't think of one that [has one]. There needs to be more co- ordination within cities to deal with this," he said.

"It's something Gordon Brown [the Prime Minister] has talked about and I think it's a very good idea."

While Scotland has escaped the recent severe floods, ministers have taken steps to ensure that communities at risk are better prepared.

The Executive has made £42 million available for local authorities in 2007-8 to support local flood-prevention and coast-protection programmes. Meanwhile, Mr Brown says UK spending on flood defences will increase from £600 million to £800 million.

Confirmed flood-prevention schemes that meet the Scottish administration's technical, environmental and economic criteria will be eligible for grant support at 80 per cent of costs.

Garry Pender, a professor in environmental engineering at Heriot-Watt University, praised the government for taking steps to tackle the problem - but said much more action was needed. "As the risk of flooding, and the value of people's homes increase, so does expenditure on flood-risk management."

The prospect of more flooding is something we are, it seems, all going to have to learn to live with.

COSTS SOARING AS VICTIMS SUFFER
£2 billion

Estimated cost to insurance firms in the UK in what is likely to be their worst year ever.

Inches of rain (12.5cm) which fell in some parts of England on Friday alone.

Homes already flooded or at serious risk.

Royal Navy sailors drafted in to help in flood-hit Gloucestershire.

Homes without a water supply in Gloucestershire last night.

Water tankers called in by Severn Trent Water to provide clean water. A total of 240 are already in use.

Last time floods reached disaster levels. The current floods are even worse.

Homes without power in the Gloucester area last night. That figure is expected to rise dramatically today.

The number of soldiers available in the entire UK for service in flood-hit areas.

Flood refugee capacity of the Kassam football stadium in Oxford.

Cattle rescued by the RSPCA from a flooded field in Whitham.

Further homes that would be cut off from mains power if a 1km emergency flood barrier erected around an electricity substation at Walham in Gloucester fails.

JET STREAM LINKED TO FLOODS
In 2006, the jet stream flowed north of the UK

THIS summer's deluge of rain has been blamed on an irregular Atlantic jet stream.

In a normal summer - if there is such a thing in Britain - the jet stream runs north of the UK, between the Northern Isles and Iceland.

This ribbon of fast-moving air in the upper atmosphere directs cold, wet weather north of the UK and allows high pressure to develop over the mainland, bringing settled, warm conditions to much of the country.

But this summer, the jet stream has been flowing further south and allowing low-pressure systems to sweep straight over the centre of the country.

Why the jet stream is behaving in this way is unclear, but many experts believe a climate phenomenon called La Niña is directing the show.

La Niña is an upsurge in cool water across central and eastern Pacific, and is the little sister to the better-known El Niño. La Niña occurs every six or seven years and climatologists are beginning to realise that its activity appears to have a bearing on Britain's weather, although the mechanics of this effect are not fully understood.

Meteorologists are reluctant to credit global warming with causing this summer's heavy rainfall.

Alan Campbell, a forecaster at the Met Office, said: "La Niña is not caused by global warming."

His colleague, Sancha Lancaster, added: "What we saw on Friday was a collision of low pressure over the east of Britain and extremely hot high pressure over the continent. This triggered a meteorological explosion that gave us torrential downpours in an extremely short time. Under climate change, we don't get this. We would get thunderstorms caused by heat rather than low pressure."

Forecasters are predicting respite for flood-ravaged areas of England for the rest of the summer.

But the bad news is conditions in Scotland may remain wetter than normal.
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:37 AM »
ya see whats happening in texas.. :-\

i'm kinda happy about dat...i dont quite care as much when a repb drowns in a flood all the while screaming " there is no such thing as global warming"  ;D

carpe` vaginum!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:07:48 AM »
ya see whats happening in texas.. :-\

i'm kinda happy about dat...i dont quite care as much when a repb drowns in a flood all the while screaming " there is no such thing as global warming"  ;D

I've seen too many pics of Katrina's aftermath to be happy when anyone drowns in a flood,
...even if it's a repb from Texas. But there are a few repb from Texas who could really test my resolve there.
w

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »
weather is cyclical...We have floods every so often...what does flooding have to do with global climate change? 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:55:27 AM »
weather is cyclical...We have floods every so often...what does flooding have to do with global climate change? 

when water melts on top/bottom of the world..it kinda has to go somewhere..

thats mount kilimanjaro for ya top left pic...<click web for the story>

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=kilimanjaro+snow&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
carpe` vaginum!

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »
when water melts on top/bottom of the world..it kinda has to go somewhere..

thats mount kilimanjaro for ya top left pic...<click web for the story>

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=kilimanjaro+snow&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Let me first clarify, I do believe that global climate change is a problem...  but the reason we had floods was because it rained...A LOT!  I live here in Texas and we had the second highest rainfall totals in recorded history.  this is why it flooded.  I could understand your agrument if it hadn't rained a ton, but no joke it rained almost everyday all day for almost 45 days...

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:20:14 AM »
Let me first clarify, I do believe that global climate change is a problem...  but the reason we had floods was because it rained...A LOT! 

yes...more water =   more surface  evaporation = more clouds = more rain..

yeesh ya made me type extra  >:(

plus a hotter earth means more rain...different wind and rainfall patterns..this is just the beginning..in another 100 yrs cali will be under water..
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
carpe` vaginum!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »
global warming is a hoax.

...and the joke will be on future generations when this planet is not able to support them.  :'(

Pretty soon we'll have a 'Logan's Run' type of existence living in domed cities, and people being ordered to report for euthanization facitilities at 30.
w