Author Topic: New Rocky Photos  (Read 4083 times)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
New Rocky Photos
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:43:52 AM »
I took these this morning.  He is such a ham.  ;D
:D Weee

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: New Rocky Photos
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:33:12 PM »
He is such a ham;D
LOL
I went to the local county fair last night and noticed even the baby piglets were bigger than Rocky. :P  I think my regular water bottle weighs more than him!

Laura, you need to clip his nails.  If they get too long or you don't clip them often enough, the quicks grow too long and then it will be impossible to get them to a functional length without causing pain and bleeding  :'(
:

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »
LOL
I went to the local county fair last night and noticed even the baby piglets were bigger than Rocky. :P  I think my regular water bottle weighs more than him!

Laura, you need to clip his nails.  If they get too long or you don't clip them often enough, the quicks grow too long and then it will be impossible to get them to a functional length without causing pain and bleeding  :'(

Ya, I know, they definitely need to be clipped.  I just get so scared.  :(

Oh and Rocky is a whopping 4 pounds of steel baby!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:59:50 PM »
Ya, I know, they definitely need to be clipped.  I just get so scared.  :(

Oh and Rocky is a whopping 4 pounds of steel baby!

Have Mike hold him and you clip, or vice versa.

It is harder to clip the little guy than it is the big dogs, maybe cause I can't sit on Tad?    ::)

I can hold him in one hand and clip him with the other if he gets all pissy about his feet being touched, which actually he is not that bad anymore.

If you do snip a quick he will probably yelp, and it will bleed pretty good, but he will survive and get over it pretty quick.  (ha get it, pretty "quick"  ;D) Just don't let him climb on any furniture etc that you don't want little drops of blood on til it stops.

If you keep them trimmed regularly then it is less chance of hitting the quick because it will recede and you will only be taking off the ends.

Addie had really long nails when I got her and on a few the quick has never receded back that far because of that.  I have gotten her a few times and dane nails can REALLY bleed.   So if I try and keep up on them I have better luck because I only have to trim a little.

You can do that with Rocky.  Snip off the ends.  Then in a few days snip them again, and so on till they are a better length than just try and do them about every week. 

I have heard of dogs that have been rescued that the nails were so long and overgrown that the dog was knocked out and they were trimmed way back. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »
Oh- I have one of those carriers that you wear on the front and their feet stick out and one time I put Tad in it and then hung it on the treadmill so I could use both hands to do his nails. 

He did get a nice treat after that and it was pretty quick because I didn't have to fight to hold his feet.
   8)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »
how about some new photos of you sexy three.

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:19:46 PM »
how about some new photos of you sexy three.

x2
Air Falcon

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »
Have Mike hold him and you clip, or vice versa.

or take him to the vet and have them do it for $10 bucks.

If you do snip a quick he will probably yelp, and it will bleed pretty good, but he will survive and get over it pretty quick.  (ha get it, pretty "quick"  ;D) Just don't let him climb on any furniture etc that you don't want little drops of blood on til it stops.

RARELY have I ever had a nail bleed.  It can happen, but doesn't need to.  My vet taught me how to do it.  It's MUCH easier on light colored or clear nails because you can see the quick.  When you get the cut just right, you can see a "bullseye" on the end.  The dark center is the quick and the lighter surrounding is the nail.  Have a little shallow dish of cornstarch right there when you do it.  That way if one does bleed (it will be almost instantaneous), you can put the cornstarch onto it.  It will stop it from bleeding all over the place, kinda like a styptic pen guys use for shave cuts.  Don't get all emotional if you do cut one too short, otherwise they'll pick up on all that "bad energy" and they'll make it even harder for you the next time.

Flower ~ you might want to look into a Dremmel file for the big guys...

My vet doesn't like the "guillotine" type clippers.  She prefers the "pliers" type
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 04:10:22 AM »

I have never clipped a white nail too short, but the majority of nails here are black.    :P   One on Addie once I just snipped the end and it bled, like I said, she has some long quicks.

I have the dremel, Emmett is the only one who would allow me to use it on him, I use the "plier" type on them.  ( I actually have that step by step from the dobie site printed out for the dremel.  :D ) I think especially for the bigger dogs the plier type is easier on them than the guillotine,. 

I think if you do them regularly you can avoid ever cutting the quick because it will just be a trim.   I know a few people who have the vet do them, but I think if at all possible you should do them yourself so you can keep them at a good length. Who wants to go to the vet every 2 weeks?  Most people won't and they will get long, and can get snagged, or crack, etc etc.

When Tad got neutered I asked them to trim his nails (they usually do as a courtesy at vet appts). I thought he could get a good trim while he was under and I wouldn't have to fight with him for once.   I don't think they touched him at all and I ended up doing it myself. 
>:(   

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 04:53:03 AM »
Flower:  I have that same puppie pouch...I'll try it!

Princess:  If you can access that page (instructions on cutting nails) could you copy and post here.  When I try and access it...this is what I get:

Network Error (dns_server_failure)

Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server. 
The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem. 

For assistance, contact your network support team. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:15:05 AM »
I get that same error Laura.   :-\

I would have Mike hold him, would probably be more calming to him.  I sometimes have a girl at work hold Tad and I trim his nails.
   :D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 05:17:27 AM »
Try this one, they are using the guillotine in it but it shows what and where to clip:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/nailtrim.htm

For small dogs I think the guillotine is fine, but for larger dogs I think it is to hard to clip the bigger nails with one of those.  Although I have heard that the "squeezing" of the claw type (pliers) is a bit uncomfortable for the dog.

I think this topic would be a good thread!

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 05:43:21 AM »
Try this one, they are using the guillotine in it but it shows what and where to clip:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/nailtrim.htm

For small dogs I think the guillotine is fine, but for larger dogs I think it is to hard to clip the bigger nails with one of those.  Although I have heard that the "squeezing" of the claw type (pliers) is a bit uncomfortable for the dog.

I think this topic would be a good thread!
So do you think I should trim them a little bit, wait a couple days and trim a little more?

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 05:50:43 AM »
I use one of these when i do Roma's nails because they are so big and thick it's almost impossible to clip her nails.... :D
She lays there on the couch while i "do her nails" ...she loves the attention and it doesn't hurt a bit.... :D
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 05:51:34 AM »
So do you think I should trim them a little bit, wait a couple days and trim a little more?

I think if you are nervous about hitting the quick that would be a good start. I see his nails are dark so you can't see the quick like you can in white nails.  So if you trim off the tips you should be safe, the quick will recede a bit, then you clip the tips again, and so on. 

If his nails have a thin pointy tip at the end it should be safe to clip all of that off.

Once you have done it a few times you will feel more comfortable doing it.

I carry around a little pair of clippers in my purse - lol!   In fact Tad is here today and will be getting a trim.
  ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 06:17:36 AM »

Princess:  If you can access that page (instructions on cutting nails) could you copy and post here.  When I try and access it...this is what I get:

Network Error (dns_server_failure)

Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server. 
The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem. 

For assistance, contact your network support team. 

Well, what the heck ???
It worked last night and the pictures are great.  Maybe the site is down  ???
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 06:18:40 AM »
I use one of these when i do Roma's nails because they are so big and thick it's almost impossible to clip her nails.... :D
She lays there on the couch while i "do her nails" ...she loves the attention and it doesn't hurt a bit.... :D

Euro - you need this! http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html
:

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 07:33:24 AM »
Euro - you need this! http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

Yeah..use a electrick tool on your dogs nails...that will scare them away for life... :D
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »
Yeah..use a electrick tool on your dogs nails...that will scare them away for life... :D

Emmett was fine with it.   :P   Of course he puts up with a lot of stuff and just looks dejected through it.    ;D     No way would I get near Addie with that.  Briona  wasn't very cooperative either. 

It does do a good job "shaping" them.  I could see it being a must have for show dogs that need to look perfect. 

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »
  Emmett was fine with it.   :P   Of course he puts up with a lot of stuff and just looks dejected through it.    ;D     No way would I get near Addie with that.  Briona  wasn't very cooperative either. 

It does do a good job "shaping" them.  I could see it being a must have for show dogs that need to look perfect. 

I think you really should read one or two of my posts today ::)...it will enlighten you on the "shaping" part.. :-\
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »
I think you really should read one or two of my posts today ::)...it will enlighten you on the "shaping" part.. :-\

I see nothing on "shaping".  Maybe you should actually put some explaining in your posts.     ;D

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 07:43:06 AM »

I see nothing on "shaping". 

Are you really trying to make me mad because i got to tell ya...it's working... >:(
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 07:48:48 AM »
Are you really trying to make me mad because i got to tell ya...it's working... >:(

No.  You are not explaining anything in your posts.  The purpose of that other thread is to educate and explain how to do different things.   ;D

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 07:51:17 AM »
No.  You are not explaining anything in your posts.  The purpose of that other thread is to educate and explain how to do different things.   ;D

What do you do with a nail file?
Right ....you "shape" the nails into what ever way you want them to be...

Hope this heps.. :)
?