Author Topic: Flower would be proud  (Read 2122 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Flower would be proud
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:53:31 PM »
I saved a 9 year old Keeshound from canned SCIENCE DIET, rawhides made in China (which were too tiny anyway)  and various other not so good doggy items.

I overheard a retired senior couple discussing what to get Misty because she won't eat anything anymore.  I chimed in and after a LONG talk (seniors love to chat), they put the case of Science Diet and everything else back.  I told them about a nearby pet supply store where they have every kind of natural dog food and the staff is very knowledgeable, what to avoid in an ingredient list, the downside of rawhides,  and some of the toxic foods to dogs (onions, grapes, raisins, mac nuts, chocolate).  They were so appreciative because their vet told them to just put a dish of food out and if she didn't eat it, so what  ::) she will eventually, because a dog won't starve themselves. ::)  I heard the whole story of how Misty came to them 7 years ago (abused), how they'd never had a dog before, and how she has been the most wonderful addition to their lives.  The guy practically had tears in his eyes and I think had our carts not been in the way, he would've given me a hug.  I felt good.

I hope Misty enjoys her dinner tonight.
:

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Flower would be proud
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
Did you tell them that Misty deserved a good toy or a rope?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:34:58 PM »
Did you tell them that Misty deserved a good toy or a rope?

Misty doesn't play with toys  :-\

I was told by a doggy person these were not good toys. 

:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 05:45:52 PM »

These are not meant to provide medical advice; you should obtain medical advice from your private healthcare practitioner. No liability is assumed by QFAC for any of the information contained herein.

Ahh....what's not a good toy?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:16:55 PM »
Ahh....what's not a good toy?

::) whoops
sorry  :-*
Fixed
:

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 03:41:29 AM »

Can you explain why they think it's not a good toy Princess... ???
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 07:04:08 AM »
Great Job Princess L!!!!!   ;D    It sounds like that couple was very appreciative of you taking the time to speak with them. 

Why aren't ropes a good toy?  Usually they are recommended over stuffed toys that they can rip apart.

edit:  I just read STella's post.   I still think they are a good toy, but like with any toy what may be perfectly fine for one dog might be a problem for another dog. 

All toys should be inspected regularly for rips, tears, being eaten, etc.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
Exactly....I think they are one of the best toys especially with supervision.

Usually...if they get "quiet"....usually means they are chewing on it.

The only thing I hate about those is getting whipped with one.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 10:50:05 AM »

Why aren't ropes a good toy? 

Exactly what STella said.  I've heard that from everyone from the pet food store to the doggy daycare people.
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 10:55:48 AM »
Great Job Princess L!!!!!   ;D    It sounds like that couple was very appreciative of you taking the time to speak with them. 

Why aren't ropes a good toy?  Usually they are recommended over stuffed toys that they can rip apart.

edit:  I just read STella's post.   I still think they are a good toy, but like with any toy what may be perfectly fine for one dog might be a problem for another dog. 

They are considered bad by some people for 4 reasons.  1) intestinal linear foreign objects.  The threads that make up the rope can be swallowed--this is much like swallowing a piece of thread.  If that thread gets caught in the intestine, the intestine will "bunch up" aroudn the threads as they try to pass it on through.  The thread can then act like a saw literally cutting through the intestinal lining.   I've never actually seen this, but I know of two cases where the dogs chewed the ropes and swallowed the knots with string coming out--the knot acted to anchor the rope pieces and a linear foreign body formed from the threads.  2) bits and pieces of thread can be chewed off and accumulate in the stomach/pyloris leading to an intestinal obstruction 3) the threads can get caught between the teeth or worse yet wrap around the teeth leading to a pretty serious oral infection. and 4) I've seen one dog on emergency that seriously damaged its eye from shaking the rope---the knot flung back around and smacked it just right in the eye. 

The key with these is what Flower posted above: 
[/color]

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 11:01:39 AM »
Nice clarifying and explanation.   :)

I have gotten smacked by a rope, and suspect that is what broke the living room window.     ::)

The big ones for giant dogs are wrapped pretty damn tight and solid, but the frayed ends past the knots could easily be chewed off.   Mine seem to just use them for tug and wrestling matches and to whip around.  I have never really seen one sitting down and gnawing on them.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »
Nice clarifying and explanation.   :)

I have gotten smacked by a rope, and suspect that is what broke the living room window.     ::)

The big ones for giant dogs are wrapped pretty damn tight and solid, but the frayed ends past the knots could easily be chewed off.   Mine seem to just use them for tug and wrestling matches and to whip around.  I have never really seen one sitting down and gnawing on them.

It takes about 2 minutes for my pit to shred one to little pieces. 

That said, my dogs love playing with rope type toys, so I let them just with close supervision.   Last night the Dogo played a light hearted game of "toss the puppy" by getting her to grab the rope and tug against him, then he'd just fling her across the living room.   it was pretty funny.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:14:01 AM »
For a while...The dog would take those...swing it back & forth viciously & let it fly.

I guess he thought that was funny or something especially when it would knock stuff over.