Author Topic: Congratulations to the true 1980 Mr. Olympia winner Mike Mentzer!  (Read 85524 times)

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
Just re-watched the contest. Mike Mentzer....no wonder why he shunned weider and the corrupt ifbb.

U gotta love Arnold but at the same time u gotta be fair. Hard ripped raw mass of MR MENTZER, which at the time no one else had. he was ahead of his time.

i would also like to mention a few things:

The posing! what happened to classical posing...this contest made me realise how shit the current posing is. its all gay ass poses to r n b ...i mean fuck off! how about some smooth classical transitions into the poses. (I AM ALSO REFERRING TO THE GREAT CHOICE OF CLASSICAL TUNES)

also the midsections! these days they cant even hit a vacuum, their waists are fuckin disgusting. something has to be done.... a fucking pregnant dog could go on stage and have a better waist.

FUCK THIS SHIT! I'M JUST GONNA WATCH OLD CONTESTS.

ADD YOUR OPINIONS.

MELTDOWN MOTHERFUCKERS!

JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
IM PISSED OFF!

AND MILOS SHOVE YOUR SHAKES UP UR ASS!
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
He was no where close to the best that day, everyone ahead of him had by far better development where as he only thing he had going for him was his conditioning. That alone does not make you Mister Olympia otherwise Dex, Andreas, Makhaway, Paco, etc. would have won it.
I

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
He was no where close to the best that day, everyone ahead of him had by far better development where as he only thing he had going for him was his conditioning. That alone does not make you Mister Olympia otherwise Dex, Andreas, Makhaway, Paco, etc. would have won it.

REGARDLESS SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE WON.

AND IT Just brought up how the current day posing is shit.

they had classical transitions into their poses, dramatic music. these days its fucked.

and the waists...........what a huge difference
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
I'm a big Mentzer fan but he was FIFTH that day. Even if Arnie was not in the show, there is NO WAY Mike would have beaten Roy Callender  :-\

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
roy calendar placed later than mike though, he was 7th.

ahead of mike were: 1
   Arnold Schwarzenegger    USA
   Chris Dickerson    USA
   Frank Zane    USA
   Boyer Coe

i do agree though that roy looked great. in fact nearly all competitors looked great that year, it was a fantastic contest to watch again.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Arnold totally destroyed Mentzer in '80.

just push some weight!

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
you have the video 1980 mr. O?

or was it just totall rebuild?

cant tell shit from that video.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
well can someone upload it ??

i dont feel like paying for it...

Master Blaster

Arnold definately destroyed their minds, thats for sure. :D

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
You wanna see people get robbed?

What about the one where Padilla should have won? He raped Columbo but finished like 5th.  ::)

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
Roy should have def beat Mentzer,  I will see if I can find pics of him. He are some others though.

I

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
you have the video 1980 mr. O?

or was it just totall rebuild?

cant tell shit from that video.

yes i watched the real contest video, every contestant posing. and yes lol, when arnold lost they boo the shit out of him. there is outrage over zane's position and also the great mike mentzer.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
Roy should have def beat Mentzer,  I will see if I can find pics of him. He are some others though.

dude u gotta see the actual rolling video footage. the photos dont mean shit. believe me.

overall i would say, mike had the best overall combination of size and conditioning. frank zane looked crazy ripped but would be nice if he was bigger. roy calender looked fantastic but he was missing something, the whole package was a little off and his posing routine was no way near the best. arnold had a great rear double biceps shot but he looked small on several angles and he wasnt conditioned like the others. roger walker looked huge and ripped but a little blocky.

what i loved the most about watching this contest was the posing, the classical music, and the small waists.

the greatest elements of bodybuilding, all of which are not present in todays game.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
That is my black and white photo in the line up. I was the only photographer who was in the middle of the audience complete with tripod and telephoto lens. I got John Balik a seat beside me for the evening show. Then my camera jammed before the posedown! I sold my photos to Robert Nailon who sold many images to Kennedy and Ironman. I never sent any images in to Joe.

A case can be made for any of the top guys to be the winner. Even Danny Padilla who was never compared. Tinerino and Walker also impressed. Callendar won a Mr Universe in Sydney in 79 so was a crowd favourite.

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
vince, is just me or did pretty much all the competitors looked great. one of the best olympias ever.

my friend was in the crowd, he said everyone boo'd arnold badly and i said to him did u boo arnold and he replied "No, i could never boo arnold" lol

did u hang out with mike during his stay in aus at the olympia, wat did he look like in person at the show, also did u see him after the result.

i read once that frank zane was so pissed off at the bullshit result that he smashed his trophy backstage.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
yes i watched the real contest video, every contestant posing. and yes lol, when arnold lost they boo the shit out of him. there is outrage over zane's position and also the great mike mentzer.
can you be a nice sport and upload it

pliiiiiiizzzzz

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
can you be a nice sport and upload it

pliiiiiiizzzzz

how?

its a vhs copy????? i got it back in the day before dvds
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
how?

its a vhs copy????? i got it back in the day before dvds
ok. never mind then.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
Mike Mentzer was an intellectual midget when it came to compare with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Pre-contest time 1980 Mike Mentzer was at Gold's gym on the same day Arnold was training and was going nuts trying to figure out just why Arnold was training so hard for the past couple of weeks.
    QUOTE from Arnold Schwarzenegger-a portrait- by George Butler-

Arnold---"I win" he said. "Don't worry. I do not need to control the judges. I controle the bodybuilders." He looked positively gleeful."already Mike Mentzer has left the gym this morning!" I said,'why?' he said,'you're driving me crazy with that smile.' "
    I looked at Eddie, (Guiliani), who nodded solemnly. " I saw the whole thing," he said.
   " So this afternoon he misses training to see a shrink," Arnold said proudly. "And he pays him to analyze me! He sould remember that another Austrian was King of the shrinks. I could advise him for free.
   He then turned back to the preacher curls for the next set.
      "Excuse me" Arnold said while taking a deep breath,"while I continue my savage training program."

It matters not how many times you watch the video of that Mr Olympia the outcome will always be the same. Like wars of history the war of the pen and word will always go on.

Arnold was the better bodybuilder/showman/personality of that night and nobody came close to beating him on these 3 levels. It's high time you guys realize that this contest is not based on physique alone. Even if it where Arnold was still better that anything on that stage even though he himself was not in his prime.
   End of subject.
h

Bodies

• Getbig III
Hard to judge from the pics if you have ever been to a show and then seen pics in the mags afterwards you realize how different it looks in photos compared to the actual contest.

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV

End of subject.

no. he was not the best bodybuilder that nite. the competitors all said the same. the fans said the same. even the crowd boo'd him off. now when does a crowd boo arnold!  u gotta get serious with urself, and remove arnold's penis from ur ass.

also the judging was rigged.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
About the booing at the 80 Olympia. When Arnold was announced the winner there was a lot of booing but there was also cheering. The booing faded and the cheering continued. Arnold was very popular in Sydney. A lot of bodybuilders weren't happy with the result. I gave the contest to Arnold and it was confirmed after looking at all the photos I took at the judging and evening show. He had the best arms and chest and his back and calves looked good, too. Only his thighs let him down a bit. Dickerson had small arms. Zane wasn't very big. Coe had few abs. Mentzer had a gut in some poses. Walker was blocky. Callender wasn't as sharp as he was in 79. Tinerino was perhaps the hardest guy but somehow wasn't near the top. Danny was the biggest, size for size, but was totally overlooked and never compared. Platz was weak in his upper body. Waller wasn't that cut. And so it goes.......Arnold first and the rest second.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Mikes problems with alcohol and amphetamine have been well documented.  But why didnt anybody recognise that his self-destruction was imminent?Surely somone in the industry could see that this guy was spiralling out of control?  Just a pity that he could not have been saved from himself.

Mike is one of Pro Bodybuilding's nut-jobs!  Yes, a true and  intelligent nut-job!