Author Topic: Just a dog  (Read 1467 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Just a dog
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:43:01 AM »
Just a Dog

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.   

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

Authored by Richard A. Biby

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Just a dog
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:38:54 AM »
I don't have a dog but after reading that you can bet your boots I'm gonna go hug the first dog I see this morning and thank him or her for thiier loyal service

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »
Awesome post Amy. I've often wanted to cringe when I hear people say "just a dog" or "just an animal". For those of us who understand... no explanation is ever necessary for the lengths we will go through. Those that don't understand... never will. Trying to explain it is fruitless.

and keep moving!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:57:05 AM »
Somewhere in that....I would add....

"I'm not sure if I'd be here today if it wasn't for just a dog"

or

"I would not be the person I am today if it wasn't for just a dog"

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:59:37 AM »
Yup, this could apply to any pet.   A hamster, a little lizard, or whatever animal someone loves.

I was talking to someone a few weeks ago and something was said about "they are just pets" or along that line.  I told him, "No one says you have to spend your money on an animal, that is your choice, but if you get a pet, then you had better be willing to take on the responsibility, or don't get one.  If you don't want to spend money on vet bills if it gets sick or hurt, then don't put yourself in the position that you might have to.  Do the responsible and right thing and stay pet free for the animals sake as well as your own."

It just kills me that people would put an animal down because it would be cheaper to just get a new dog/cat.   Of course cost of treatment can and does play a role in decisions for even dedicated animal lovers, but that is usually a secondary reason for opting against a treatment, quality of life and expected outcome being the first reason. It would never be because you could just as soon go get a new one. 

I have 4 dogs, and I would feel the lose of each one despite having the others. Each one is special, and each one I will miss something different about.  I still think about the ferrets I have had over the years, and remember something different about each of them. 

They are never just an animal. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »
Well....this could get me introuble...but it's how I feel.

Age has a lot to do with it.  If I have an elderly pet (& I mean elderly) & a Vet want's to charge me $2000+ dollars to maybe get a few more months of life....I may not do it.  I figure at that point, quality of life for my friend may not be any better (in some circumstances) & the spending $2000+ would only be spent for my selfish reasons of trying to hang on longer than whats comfortable for him.

Also...I have no problem spending $2000+ on the dog....but really would have to consider it long & hard & for what reasons when it comes to a cat, gerbil, etc...  I love my cat...but if she needs that much money to be repaired...it would have to be pretty damn serious & most chances...wouldn't pull out from it or the quality of life would be questionable.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »
Thanks Flower
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »
Well....this could get me introuble...but it's how I feel.

Age has a lot to do with it.  If I have an elderly pet (& I mean elderly) & a Vet want's to charge me $2000+ dollars to maybe get a few more months of life....I may not do it.  I figure at that point, quality of life for my friend may not be any better (in some circumstances) & the spending $2000+ would only be spent for my selfish reasons of trying to hang on longer than whats comfortable for him.

Also...I have no problem spending $2000+ on the dog....but really would have to consider it long & hard & for what reasons when it comes to a cat, gerbil, etc...  I love my cat...but if she needs that much money to be repaired...it would have to be pretty damn serious & most chances...wouldn't pull out from it or the quality of life would be questionable.

That's why I wrote taking into consideration the quality/quantity of life the pet would have left.   

But if I had a young cat that got hit by a car for example, and needed $2000 for surgery but was expected to live full life, I would spend it if there was any way possible I could find a way to pay for the expenses. 

A gerbil, okay spending tons of money on is not really feasible, but I would take it to the vet if I thought it was sick and at least see what was going on and if it was suffering have it humanely put to sleep.  When I was a kid one of my hamsters got sick and I was so upset my Dad took it and me to the vet.   Unfortunately the hamster passed right there with the vet examining it.  I remember the vet felt so bad (I can still remember the look on his face) that there was no charge for the visit even though there was nothing he could of done.

Some people are not willing to even consider options though, because "it is just an animal".