Author Topic: Michael Moore got served!  (Read 2892 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Michael Moore got served!
« on: July 27, 2007, 07:55:34 AM »
Michael Moore says he's been served with subpoena

Filmmaker Michael Moore revealed on Thursday's "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno that the Bush Administration had served him with a subpoena regarding his recent trip to Cuba made as part of his new film, Sicko.

Moore told the audience that he was notified of the subpoena backstage.

"I haven't even told my own family yet," Moore remarked. "I was just informed when I was back there with Jay that the Bush administration has now issued a subpoena for me."

The Oscar-winning filmmaker filmed his trip to the US base at Guantanamo Bay, where he pleaded with military officials to let three 9/11 rescue workers enjoy the benefits of healthcare extended to detainees.

"I heard the al-Qaeda terrorists we have in the camps there, detained, are receiving free dental, medical, eye care, the whole deal, and our own [9/11] rescue workers can't get that in New York City," Moore said.

The workers later received care and heavily discounted prescriptions at Cuban hospitals.

United Press International reported Thursday that the film's distributor, the Weinstein Company, will donate 11 percent of Sicko's box office sales August 11 to "help these workers and the other workers who need help."

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Michael Moore got served!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
wow that's pretty SICK, so what does Cheney do when he gets served  ::)
Republicans served over 140 cabinet memebers under the Clinton administration, and the dems can't even sub one under the bush regime.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:49:22 AM »
wow that's pretty SICK, so what does Cheney do when he gets served  ::)
Republicans served over 140 cabinet memebers under the Clinton administration, and the dems can't even sub one under the bush regime.
Ain't that the shit lol...

Purge_WTF

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:44:57 PM »
  Did I miss something? What is the purpose of the subpoena?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »
  Did I miss something? What is the purpose of the subpoena?

It is for the purpose of sending a very clear signal across the land, establishing once & for all,
...that access to free or inexpensive healthcare for American citizens is verboten  ;D
w

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »
That's what Bush and his gang do: target Americans.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 11:06:17 PM »
Sounds like he violated the travel ban.  Dummy. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 11:50:01 PM »
Sounds like he violated the travel ban.  Dummy. 

Does that mean that there is no such thing as freedom for Americans afterall,
...even when outside of America's own borders?  ???
w

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »

didn't you learn in college that "american freedom" is not absolute?

You want to live here, to enjoy the protections of this state, you've got to give something up . . . things like trying to get in bed w dictators who hosted nuclear missiles pointed at us from literally our own border (another thing you should have learned in college). 

Let me know if you want me to simplify this concept further.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 12:07:07 AM »
perhaps if you'd actually gone to college, you would have learned that "american freedom" is not absolute. 

Great concept, ...maybe you ought to tell that to your pResident.

You want to live here, to enjoy the protections of this state, you've got to give something up . . . things like trying to get in bed w dictators who hosted nuclear missiles pointed at us from literally our own border (another thing you would have learned if you had gotten an education). 

Let me know if you want me to simplify this concept further.

I don't think he wanted to have sex with him, just get some national heros the healthcare he needs.

...but I suppose you're right. It's not good for Americans to try to get help and necessary medical treatment for other Americans, ...even if they are national heros. The examples demonstrated by your national leaders appears to send the message that it's better to deprive American heros of much needed medicine and treatment in favour of holding hands, and playing kissy face with foreign leaders who have been known to shelter, harbour and finance terrorists.
w

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 12:24:04 AM »

i'd rather he played "kissy face" w Abdullah than try to paint Castro as some medical reform hero . . . ain't no Saudi that I know of done point nukes at my ma and pa.

Anybody who signs on to promote Castro's Cuba as some haven compare to the US is

1. Delusional &

2. Done turned in their hero card . . . if they had one to begin with.

HTH

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 12:38:47 AM »

i'd rather he played "kissy face" w Abdullah than try to paint Castro as some medical reform hero

Maybe you'd prefer he travel to Saudi Arabia and announce a desire to play kissy face with the Arabs?
From what I understand they have laws over there against Arab men sleeping with other Arab men,
...but doing it with white guys isn't verboten. He might even like a little Arab muscle in the poop chute.
He's been getting it for years, and refuses to change course or strategy, so one might reasonably conclude...

. . . ain't no Saudi that I know of done point nukes at my ma and pa.

They just like blowing American soldiers to smithereens in their own barracks, and flying planes into skyscrapers.

Anybody who signs on to promote Castro's Cuba as some haven compare to the US is

1. Delusional &

2. Done turned in their hero card.

HTH

I don't think the 911 rescue workers had an agenda of promoting Castro.
I think they just wanted medical treatment and medicine they couldn't get at home.
w

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 12:51:13 AM »

1.  Nice over-use of gay metaphors to cloud the fact that you're retailing bullshit.

2.  State policy of Cuba & SA are quite different. I'm sure someone as smart  ::) as you would realize that.

3.  Blaming abdullah for 9/11, war casualties, terrorist attacks is like blaming Castro/Chavez for the US's problems w drugs from Latin America . . . surely someone as smart as you would see that. ::)

3a.  I think nukes on our border, in the hands of a hostile regime, is a little bit of a bigger threat than terrorist attack by isolated groups  . . . don't you think?

4.  Nobody is refused necessary medical care in the US.  they might be shuffled around, but our hospitals are always willing to help out . . . no matter what people who make movies for PROFIT say.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 01:57:30 PM »

Well, you do have the freedom to go to Afghanistan, where you can get killed at any moment. However, you cannot go to Cuba... well you can, but you'd have to go through Canada (or so I've heard); because Fidel Castro will turn you into a commi, and God knows that in the US you can be a stone cold killa, or a thief or a rapist or a child molestor, but a commi??!! God no!!!

You do, however, have the option of becoming a rampant capitalist, go to another country and kill truckloads of people and nothing will happen to you. In fact, people will welcome you as a hero. But going to Cuba???!!! No, please.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 02:07:27 PM »
Well, you do have the freedom to go to Afghanistan, where you can get killed at any moment. However, you cannot go to Cuba... well you can, but you'd have to go through Canada (or so I've heard); because Fidel Castro will turn you into a commi, and God knows that in the US you can be a stone cold killa, or a thief or a rapist or a child molestor, but a commi??!! God no!!!

You do, however, have the option of becoming a rampant capitalist, go to another country and kill truckloads of people and nothing will happen to you. In fact, people will welcome you as a hero. But going to Cuba???!!! No, please.

Pretty much.  :-\

I remember after Elion Gonzales was returned to his father, Congress tried to enact legislation seeking recompense for displaced Cubans after Castro took power, about seized land etc. It was so embarrassing. The Canadian government introduced similar legislation as a joke. we had Canadians who had been expelled after 1776 for being British loyalists making claims for the return of their ancestral homes that had been seized in the American Revolution. One woman even claimed a chunk of land which now houses the white house, and most of the Washingtom beltway. Former mayor of Toronto Art Eggleton made a claim on his behalf of his family, ...and so many others from politicians to ordinary Canadians. I don't know if you guys ever heard much of it down there... but it was the joke of the month up here and elsewhere around the world. Politicians even had a hard time keeping a straight face and appearing dignified when discussing it on TV. So often they would simply burst out laughing. Congress quietly dropped it after that. Sometimes it's hard to hold a mirror up to yourself.  ;)
w

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »
Pretty much.  :-\

I remember after Elion Gonzales was returned to his father, Congress tried to enact legislation seeking recompense for displaced Cubans after Castro took power, about seized land etc. It was so embarrassing. The Canadian government introduced similar legislation as a joke. we had Canadians who had been expelled after 1776 for being British loyalists making claims for the return of their ancestral homes that had been seized in the American Revolution. One woman even claimed a chunk of land which now houses the white house, and most of the Washingtom beltway. Former mayor of Toronto Art Eggleton made a claim on his behalf of his family, ...and so many others from politicians to ordinary Canadians. I don't know if you guys ever heard much of it down there... but it was the joke of the month up here and elsewhere around the world. Politicians even had a hard time keeping a straight face and appearing dignified when discussing it on TV. So often they would simply burst out laughing. Congress quietly dropped it after that. Sometimes it's hard to hold a mirror up to yourself.  ;)

Are you kidding me? That here? Never.

Conventional wisdom, as we know it in the US, tells us that Indians "left" the country (were not massacred), blacks came unforcefully (not to serve as slaves), our Constitution was written "For the people" (not for rich white landowners), and we "free" other people and give them "democracy". Cubans are bad and Putin is good. Saddam was good now is (was) bad. Pervez is good but I presume he will be bad in a couple of years. And the best: there is no racism in the US. Blacks, Hispanics and most other non-caucasians very rarely make it to the top of companies because they're lazy and complain too much. It's a very disturbing dichotomy, one that scares the bejesus of the rest of the world, but very few people get it here in the US. In fact people TRY to correct me every time.

We rally around our president at all times, even when he goes into a murder rampage. It's what Americans do. It's very close to what is called the "single tought" theory, or what was happening in pre-nazi Germany. Disidents of the single though reality are looked at in a negative way and all opposing rhetoric is eliminated.

US media tells us something is wrong in Iraq but noone does jack shit because we're gonna get dirt cheap oil in the near future, so it's Ok to kill as many "brown" people as possible (remember the same rhetoric being used with the Jews in Germany?). In any case, they attacked us on 09/11/01 any way.

There was a sad story at my wife's workplace about this junior high girl. Apparently the girl was asked, in class, what in the slaves had arrived in the US, to what she replied:"I dunno, the Titanic?". That's the state of affairs right now my friend. And I'm afraid it's getting worse.

Going back to the subject, I ask you, what bad does it do the American people that Michael Moore went to Cuba so that he could show us a different reality that works! We Americans end up knowing more and Michael would've probably lost some weight. Where's the crime here?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
He probably was indicted for violating the "trading with the enemy act" from around 1964. The fine can be around 100K and you can get ten years in jail. It's doubtful he would be the first person treated that way. All non diplomats traveling to Cuba risk getting arrested/harassed upon their return.

Biggest thing working in his favor is being a celebrity. It's doubtful they will actually enforce the law in this case as it would appear he was being persecuted for making another gay movie.

Real question is: if he can travel freely to Cuba, why can't I and others who want to see the country? I hope they succumb to political pressure and let his stupid ass go unscathed. It would open the door for regular people to challenge an asinine and useless law.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »
He probably was indicted for violating the "trading with the enemy act" from around 1964.

If so, what do you call this?:

The Oil for Anthrax program?

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »
Or this:

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »
If so, what do you call this?:

The Oil for Anthrax program?

In the future, please compare apples with apples.  :)

Fl, NJ and Pa have too many electoral votes for the law to be changed. I just want to see what happens if another citizen challenges the law when he gets off.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 02:55:13 AM »
In the future, please compare apples with apples.  :)

Fl, NJ and Pa have too many electoral votes for the law to be changed. I just want to see what happens if another citizen challenges the law when he gets off.

There was a big brouhaha back during the Elion Gonsalez spectacle where people were suggesting that it was about time the law was changed. A few politicians as well... they barely survived by the skin of their teeth.  :-\

Cuba I'm told is a beautiful island. Alot of Canadians choose it as a vacation / honeymoon destination.
A friend of mine was a cameraman for a travel show that did a lot of shooting in Cuba, Varadero Beach etc.,
...the stories he told of Cuba, ...what you can get... and for how much... simply shockingly scandalous!  :o

Let's just say that a man with a 6 pack of Coca-Cola, just may have a smile pasted on his face for months!  :-X :P

...and the cigars!!! ...don't get me started on the cigars. Have you ever smelled a Cuban cigar?
...not the cheap North American variety that makes you want to hold your nose and toss your cookies,
...but a genuine handrolled cuban cigar? {sigh} ...a little slice of heaven I yells ya.
w