Author Topic: Baghdad Diarist  (Read 1101 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Baghdad Diarist
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:02:53 PM »
The Baghdad Diarist, ‘Shock Troops,’ and Fabrications
by Jeff Emanuel
Posted 07/27/2007 ET

Left-leaning The New Republic (TNR) gained new notoriety in recent weeks by  publishing of a trio of columns by the “Baghdad Diarist,” an American soldier who was serving in Baghdad and who wrote under the admitted pseudonym “Scott Thomas.” The stories written by Thomas were shocking and distasteful, telling of actions by soldiers in his unit, such as the exhumation of children’s skeletons (and the wearing of one of their skulls “like a crown”), the purposeful running over of dogs with armored vehicles, and the ridiculing of a female contractor for her disfigured appearance, which was purportedly caused by an IED blast.

The “milblogging” (military blogging) community, along with publications like The Weekly Standard, reacted almost immediately to Thomas’s claims, shooting holes in his stories and calling into question the veracity not only of his narrative, but also of his claim to be a soldier serving in Iraq. The “tall tale” tone of his narrative, and the many erroneous details present in his description of military vehicles and operations, made it somewhat difficult to believe that “Scott Thomas” was a soldier at all, let alone one who had actually been “outside the wire” participating in combat operations. (A few actually went so far as to say that he definitely was not in the military, and blogger/filmmaker JD Johannes actually predicted, very early on, which unit he was in.)

Given the increasing tendency of the media to run unchecked or clearly fabricated stories -- take the “fake but accurate” memos pushed by Dan Rather on CBS, or the altered photographs provided Reuters by Israel/Lebanon “war” photographer Aidan Hajj for example -- in hopes of affecting events or of scooping their opposition, add that to  TNR’s history of being snookered by too-good-to-be-true “journalism” (exhibit A: Stephen Glass), the milblogging community was well justified in their drive to shed further light -- positive or negative -- on “Scott Thomas” and his stories. 

The episode became so far-reaching that the New York Times ran a story this week on the credibility questions raised in the Thomas affair. But the Old Grey Lady’s online staff (and many others in the Old Media) are still not savvy enough to catch on to the fact that bloggers will take note of undocumented alterations in published stories. The Times changed the part of its article (post-publication) which quoted TNR editor Franklin Foer’s comments as to his certainty of whether or not Thomas was an actual US soldier three separate times -- further feeding the speculation as to Thomas’s actual affiliation (or lack thereof) with the US military.

Thursday morning, after being hammered by bloggers and publications, TNR finally caved in to the calls for Scott Thomas’s identity to be revealed, publishing this message on their website:

I am Private Scott Thomas Beauchamp, a member of Alpha Company, 1/18 Infantry, Second Brigade Combat Team, First Infantry Division.

My pieces were always intended to provide my discreet view of the war; they were never intended as a reflection of the entire U.S. Military. I wanted Americans to have one soldier's view of events in Iraq.

It's been maddening, to say the least, to see the plausibility of events that I witnessed questioned by people who have never served in Iraq. I was initially reluctant to take the time out of my already insane schedule fighting an actual war in order to play some role in an ideological battle that I never wanted to join. That being said, my character, my experiences, and those of my comrades in arms have been called into question, and I believe that it is important to stand by my writing under my real name.

So, “Scott Thomas,” whose name we now know to be Scott Thomas Beauchamp, has identified himself, and is actually a member of the US military in Baghdad, based at FOB Falcon (my former place of residence when embedded with the 1-4 Cavalry earlier this year). Many who have defended TNR in this affair will now sit back and claim victory against the evil righty milbloggers, seeing themselves vindicated now that Beauchamp has proven that he is, in fact, a military member.

To claim that this is the be-all and end-all of the story, though, would be to focus on the wrong point entirely.

The critical issue here is not the fact that Beauchamp is an actual American soldier (nor was the question of whether or not he was one core to the swarm surrounding the stories.) The critical issue is what Beauchamp said -- whether his hyperbolic claims have any basis in fact at all -- and whether The New Republic actually did the legwork necessary to verify parts of his claims, let alone the whole stories. There are still many questions to be asked regarding the plausibility of the events he claims to have “witnessed”, from the existence of the burned woman, who source after source on the Forward Operation Base in question have said simply does not exist, to the ability of a Bradley driver to maneuver his vehicle with such precision that he can catch a dog with his tracked wheel, while the canine is in his glaring right-side blind spot, just to name two.

TNR has acquiesced a bit to the specter of another Stephen Glass in their ranks, releasing this statement Thursday:

Although the article was rigorously edited and fact-checked before it was published, we have decided to go back and, to the extent possible, re-report every detail. This process takes considerable time, as the primary subjects are on another continent, with intermittent access to phones and email. Thus far we've found nothing to disprove the facts in the article; we will release the full results of our search when it is completed.

Unfortunately, this is what the sensationalist media appear to have come to: in hopes of breaking the next big story, actually investigating and re-investigating the facts surrounding stories is reserved for after their publication, while statements like that above from TNR (reminiscent of Dan Rather’s “nobody has challenged the actual thrust of our story) are issued as a means of keeping the wolves at bay and attempting to keep people focused on the charges, not their underlying truth or falsity.

The fact that Beauchamp has become the darling of the left-of-center media as a result of his “speaking out” is ironic at best -- for, if what he says is true, then he not only witnessed some very unfortunate examples of human depravity (not to mention potential war crimes), but apparently participated in them.

Had he really witnessed such things, and had he really wanted to make a difference in preventing them, then, as Major Kirk Luedeke (Public Affairs Officer for the 4th IBCT on FOB Falcon) said, the right course of action would have been to report it immediately -- thus sparking a military investigation into the events he recounted, rather than -- as is now ongoing -- into himself and his gross impropriety.

Beauchamp is going to face repercussions for his actions. As milblogger Greyhawk has pointed out, “Although that will be for the behavior he confesses to, the media will try to construct a fiction that he's being persecuted for speaking out.” This reflects the current position of the anti-war stalwarts within the media:  they have an entrenched belief regarding the nature of the Iraq war and of the military, and of the character of the men fighting it. Given that, when a story of this nature becomes available, that is just too juicy to pass up, “too good to be checked,” and in absolute conformity with the left’s idea of our soldiers, then any repercussions which reach the storyteller must be a result not of his untruthfulness or rule-breaking, but of his daring to “speak truth to power.”

Scott Thomas Beauchamp has been outed -- both as the Baghdad Diarist, and  as a very, very poor excuse for an American serviceman. (His personal blog includes such statements as “My goal is to become an incompetent leader that gets fragged by 30 something NCO's at a forward operating base in Sadr City”). In him, though, TNR found their “real soldier” whistleblower -- one who would tell tales of atrocities, and who would reinforce their conception of who and what an average American soldier was.

Beauchamp’s identity has been confirmed; at least that part of his series of claims was true. But many questions remain about the veracity of his stories. If TNR is as serious about verifying his claims (this time) as they say, then I would like to offer my services to the publication. I will be at FOB Falcon this September, working with the 4th IBCT, under which Beauchamp’s unit falls. While I am there, I'd be more than happy to do whatever investigative work is necessary to either corroborate or debunk the stories and provided to you by Scott Thomas Beauchamp. Given the Stephen Glass episode of years past -- and the speed with which questions were raised about this episode -- I would say that your credibility could definitely use the boost of an outside source working to verify this for you.

I am sincere, and am awaiting your call. The offer will be open for as long as I am in Iraq.

Mr. Emanuel, a special operations military veteran, is a columnist and director of conservative weblog RedState.com

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Baghdad Diarist
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 12:18:25 PM »
I know Kirk Luedeke real welll... This is great. I'll have to look into this and see whats up. Iraq is not a free for all..u just can't do this stuff. I could see Afghanistan..but even then. Nobody wants to get in trouble so u can't do some of this stuff and ever hope to get away with it.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 12:20:49 PM »
saw her nearly every time I went to dinner in the chow hall at my base in Iraq. She wore an unrecognizable tan uniform, so I couldn't really tell whether she was a soldier or a civilian contractor. The thing that stood out about her, though, wasn't her strange uniform but the fact that nearly half her face was severely scarred. Or, rather, it had more or less melted, along with all the hair on that side of her head. She was always alone, and I never saw her talk to anyone. Members of my platoon had seen her before but had never really acknowledged her. Then, on one especially crowded day in the chow hall, she sat down next to us.

We were already halfway through our meals when she arrived. After a minute or two of eating in silence, one of my friends stabbed his spoon violently into his pile of mashed potatoes and left it there.
"Man, I can't eat like this," he said.
"Like what?" I said. "Chow hall food getting to you?"
"No--with that fucking freak behind us!" he exclaimed, loud enough for not only her to hear us, but everyone at the surrounding tables. I looked over at the woman, and she was intently staring into each forkful of food before it entered her half-melted mouth.
"Are you kidding? I think she's fucking hot!" I blurted out.
"What?" said my friend, half-smiling.
"Yeah man," I continued. "I love chicks that have been intimate--with IEDs. It really turns me on--melted skin, missing limbs, plastic noses ... ."
"You're crazy, man!" my friend said, doubling over with laughter. I took it as my cue to continue.
"In fact, I was thinking of getting some girls together and doing a photo shoot. Maybe for a calendar? IED Babes.' We could have them pose in thongs and bikinis on top of the hoods of their blown-up vehicles."
My friend was practically falling out of his chair laughing. The disfigured woman slammed her cup down and ran out of the chow hall, her half-finished tray of food nearly falling to the ground...

Yeah ok. Anybody anywhere near this guy would have crushed them if they said this crap.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »
I know another private who really only enjoyed driving Bradley Fighting Vehicles because it gave him the opportunity to run things over. He took out curbs, concrete barriers, corners of buildings, stands in the market, and his favorite target: dogs. Occasionally, the brave ones would chase the Bradleys, barking at them like they bark at trash trucks in America--providing him with the perfect opportunity to suddenly swerve and catch a leg or a tail in the vehicle's tracks. He kept a tally of his kills in a little green notebook that sat on the dashboard of the driver's hatch. One particular day, he killed three dogs. He slowed the Bradley down to lure the first kill in, and, as the diesel engine grew quieter, the dog walked close enough for him to jerk the machine hard to the right and snag its leg under the tracks. The leg caught, and he dragged the dog for a little while, until it disengaged and lay twitching in the road. A roar of laughter broke out over the radio. Another notch for the book. The second kill was a straight shot: A dog that was lying in the street and bathing in the sun didn't have enough time to get up and run away from the speeding Bradley. Its front half was completely severed from its rear, which was twitching wildly, and its head was still raised and smiling at the sun as if nothing had happened at all.

I didn't see the third kill, but I heard about it over the radio. Everyone was laughing, nearly rolling with laughter. I approached the private after the mission and asked him about it.
"So, you killed a few dogs today," I said skeptically.
"Hell yeah, I did. It's like hunting in Iraq!" he said, shaking with laughter.
"Did you run over dogs before the war, back in Indiana?" I asked him.
"No," he replied, and looked at me curiously. Almost as if the question itself was in poor taste.

Yeah they talked about it over the radio like its some kind of Trucker CB. ::) Generally speaking American's like dogs, more then they like Iraqi's. We were told to shoot some of the dogs near the dump were we were set up near. I told my boss to get another one of the Company Cdr's to do it. At that time is was probably neccesary to shoot them. Look unlike in the movies....we're (The Army) treated like little kids.

L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »
If this guy saw improper conduct, he needs to report it up his chain of command. No senior guy is going to look the other way and let his career go down the toilet protecting wounded-abusing, dog-killing kid corpse desecrator

Not mine...taken from a blog disputing his claim.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
L