Author Topic: My friends kennel  (Read 3061 times)

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
My friends kennel
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:18:52 AM »
http://www.freewebs.com/bajunks/sires.htm

If anyone is interested in Bulldogs, this guy knows his stuff and puts out some quality dogs.

he just sent me the link to his new site today

kw
i

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: My friends kennel
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:13:39 PM »

If anyone is interested in Bulldogs, this guy knows his stuff and puts out some quality dogs.

kw

breeding dogs for personal profit when there's 10's of thousands of dogs in shelters that are homeless and are gonna be put down kind of sucks !

kind of selfish and self serving......ya know what I mean vern ?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 05:12:29 AM »
breeding dogs for personal profit when there's 10's of thousands of dogs in shelters that are homeless and are gonna be put down kind of sucks !

That's a good point right there, sonny.

I think pet organisations should lobby/campaign to close down breeders. There are plenty of dogs in shelters around, it doesn't make any sense to keep breeding more when there are dogs already available.

I know flower took care of at least one homeless dog. That's the spirit! :-*

Instead of going to breeders and getting a particular "cool" dog, new dog owners should just get some balls and go and save a little joyful puppy.
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 05:34:46 AM »

A responsible breeder is not breeding for profit, but for the breed itself.  They are breeding for health and temperament.  Most responsible breeders make no money or break even.  In some cases litters may even end up costing the breeder money.

I personally am FOR responsible breeders.  Take away RESPONSIBLE breeders and PUPPY MILLS are the only options and the majority of PUPPY MILL conditions are horrible and the owners of PUPPY MILLS do not care about the health or temperament of the dogs they produce. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 05:51:06 AM »

have to agree...i see it daily...it's sad when you have two people walk into a shelter and see a bunch of dogs and cats probably with not much time left and walk out because there aren't any that can fit in their paris hilton-esque dog carrier...
footloose and fancy free

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:15:58 AM »

have to agree...i see it daily...it's sad when you have two people walk into a shelter and see a bunch of dogs and cats probably with not much time left and walk out because there aren't any that can fit in their paris hilton-esque dog carrier...

That's not a fair statement, nor is it fair to lump everyone who breeds into one category.

I hope to adopt a shelter/rescue dog again sometime in the (far) future.  I do not know if I will be able to though because I cannot agree to some of the conditions usually required by them. I could lie depending on how thorough the group checks.   ::)    I also already have a 3rd generation raw fed/no vacs Chihuahua breeder I have been in contact with.  By the time I am looking for a new addition she may be on her 5th or 6th generation raw fed/no vacs litter.  That would be my ultimate dog!!  So rescues and shelters can make it difficult if not impossible, for some people to adopt from them because of their views on animal husbandry that conflict with other people's views, leaving the only option to go to a private breeder.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 06:25:28 AM »
That's not a fair statement, nor is it fair to lump everyone who breeds into one category.

I hope to adopt a shelter/rescue dog again sometime in the (far) future.  I do not know if I will be able to though because I cannot agree to some of the conditions usually required by them. I could lie depending on how thorough the group checks.   ::)    I also already have a 3rd generation raw fed/no vacs Chihuahua breeder I have been in contact with.  By the time I am looking for a new addition she may be on her 5th or 6th generation raw fed/no vacs litter.  That would be my ultimate dog!!  So rescues and shelters can make it difficult if not impossible, for some people to adopt from them because of their views on animal husbandry that conflict with other people's views, leaving the only option to go to a private breeder.

there are responsible breeders out there..i won't argue that..but there are plenty of specialized shelters and rescues that will get you the dog that someone prefers...

as for shelter checkups on adopted dogs..all you are required to do in pennsy is get the rabies vaccine...i agree a lot of shelters can be bite in the asses when it comes to rules, requirements, etc..but most city shelters don't put such requirements into adoptions. 
footloose and fancy free

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 06:37:46 AM »

there are responsible breeders out there..i won't argue that..but there are plenty of specialized shelters and rescues that will get you the dog that someone prefers...

as for shelter checkups on adopted dogs..all you are required to do in pennsy is get the rabies vaccine...i agree a lot of shelters can be bite in the asses when it comes to rules, requirements, etc..but most city shelters don't put such requirements into adoptions. 

True, and there are even a few raw feeding/none or minimal vaccinating rescues out there too.  Some shelters will not adopt unless you agree to continue to vaccinate and poison the animal, which I will not agree to do.  They  may call your vet so if I lie and say "yes, I will do that" they would obviously find out from the vet that I do not vaccinate (cept rabies) nor do heartworm, flea meds, etc.  So "lying" may or may not work.    But a city shelter might be easier to get around that. 

Still, I do not think I am wrong or selfish for having an opportunity to have a multiple generation naturally reared puppy and taking it.  In reality I will probably do both over the years.  Try and rescue again and "clean up" the health of the assaulted immune system rescue dog and prevent it from a life of further assaults, and find my multiple generation, non assaulted immune system dog.    :)

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 08:09:11 AM »
A responsible breeder is not breeding for profit, but for the breed itself.  They are breeding for health and temperament.  Most responsible breeders make no money or break even.  In some cases litters may even end up costing the breeder money.

I personally am FOR responsible breeders.  Take away RESPONSIBLE breeders and PUPPY MILLS are the only options and the majority of PUPPY MILL conditions are horrible and the owners of PUPPY MILLS do not care about the health or temperament of the dogs they produce. 

Geo/Hedge,

flower summed it up rather nicely.  This guy IS a responsible breeder who, if you read the site, is breeding for the best interest of the breed.  I have visited his kennel and can personally put my stamp of approval that he cares for the health of the dogs and doesn't own/breed dogs with bad temperaments. 

I respect your opinion, but i also feel that if a person is interested in a particular breed of dog, they shouldn't be punished/judged for choosing that over a dog that has been sent to a shelter b/c of another owners neglect...fyi: My next dog will most likely be a rescue i find on petfinder.com...
i

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 08:16:37 AM »
  True, and there are even a few raw feeding/none or minimal vaccinating rescues out there too.  Some shelters will not adopt unless you agree to continue to vaccinate and poison the animal, which I will not agree to do.  They  may call your vet so if I lie and say "yes, I will do that" they would obviously find out from the vet that I do not vaccinate (cept rabies) nor do heartworm, flea meds, etc.  So "lying" may or may not work.    But a city shelter might be easier to get around that. 

Still, I do not think I am wrong or selfish for having an opportunity to have a multiple generation naturally reared puppy and taking it.  In reality I will probably do both over the years.  Try and rescue again and "clean up" the health of the assaulted immune system rescue dog and prevent it from a life of further assaults, and find my multiple generation, non assaulted immune system dog.    :)

So lets see if I've got you straight here...

You have some idea that not vaccinating dogs is somehow a good idea?

How did you land into that conclusion?

What supports your beliefs?

As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 08:42:15 AM »

Why don't you go check out the Vaccination thread, oh yee that have been brainwashed into thinking their is only one way.    :)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 08:43:55 AM »

i've read some stuff on the vaccinate/not vaccinate arguments...at this point there are vets on both sides of this argument..it comes down to personal preference...legally you are only obligated to get a rabies vaccine--all the rest have been given as precautionary and customary innoculations.  
footloose and fancy free

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 08:52:13 AM »
i've read some stuff on the vaccinate/not vaccinate arguments...at this point there are vets on both sides of this argument..it comes down to personal preference...legally you are only obligated to get a rabies vaccine--all the rest have been given as precautionary and customary innoculations. 

I believe 100% it is a personal choice.   Unfortunately while you will be told what may happen if you do NOT vaccinate, information is withheld on what may happen if you DO vaccinate.  People are not given all the information either for their pets or themselves so they may make an educated decision. 

Vaccines are not harmless substances.  They can and do produce health problems.   That information is withheld from the general public along with scientific evidence on duration of immunity.  Basically you are told what they want you to know, not everything you SHOULD know.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 08:59:15 AM »

kw

Responsible breeder or not...i won't judge the dude...to each his own..but after i saw these videos there was no way in hell i could go to a breeder...and i was going to drop a bundle on a bull terrier pup..not after this though.

http://www.roxievideo.com/html/documentary_videos.htm

footloose and fancy free

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 09:21:53 AM »
Responsible breeder or not...i won't judge the dude...to each his own..but after i saw these videos there was no way in hell i could go to a breeder...and i was going to drop a bundle on a bull terrier pup..not after this though.

That is obviously a personal decision, and one that no one could argue is a wrong choice. 

Responsible breeders puppies and dogs do not end up in shelters because they are willing to take the dog back AT ANY TIME.  Unlike BYB's and PUPPYMILLS which are where the majority of shelter animals are from.  If people stopped buying from petstores and being choosier in "breeders" the number of dogs in shelters would most likely drop down faster than it has been over the years.

So again, I support RESPONSIBLE breeders because with out them, the only options are PUPPYMILLS and BYB's. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 09:24:11 AM »
That is obviously a personal decision, and one that no one could argue is a wrong choice. 

Responsible breeders puppies and dogs do not end up in shelters because they are willing to take the dog back AT ANY TIME.  Unlike BYB's and PUPPYMILLS which are where the majority of shelter animals are from.  If people stopped buying from petstores and being choosier in "breeders" the number of dogs in shelters would most likely drop down faster than it has been over the years.

So again, I support RESPONSIBLE breeders because with out them, the only options are PUPPYMILLS and BYB's. 

what's a byb?
footloose and fancy free

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »

what's a byb?

back yard breeder.   Meaning a "breeder" that throws 2 dogs together and sells them, not caring about health, temperament, or where the dogs end up.

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 09:32:19 AM »

Damn.  those videos are pretty f'ing sad :'(

whew...
i

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »
it's the shock value of it...it is sad...you wonder how humans can be so smart yet so friggin' insensitive.

wood..did you watch all three?
footloose and fancy free

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 10:13:58 AM »

wood..did you watch all three?

I did. I also sent the link to my wife and told her that our next dog will be a rescue and we will definitely be spaying Reese.  We had already decided to spay her, but this further increases the urgency.

Like i said before, my next dog will be from www.petfinder.com   
i