Author Topic: GARNETT TRADED TO CELTICS  (Read 3853 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
GARNETT TRADED TO CELTICS
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:49:49 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-garnetttrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

now have garnett, ray allen, and paul pierce. should place top 3 in the eastern conference standings, make it to conference finals possibly, will still get butchered by the western teams hahahha

body88

Re: GARNETT TRADED TO CELTICS
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:24:41 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-garnetttrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

now have garnett, ray allen, and paul pierce. should place top 3 in the eastern conference standings, make it to conference finals possibly, will still get butchered by the western teams hahahha

Dont forget about Rondo. He seems to be developing nicley. The celts needed to get older. They where just to young. Hey its a start right?

Btw I agree. They will contend or maybe even win the east. Then get beat up by the top western teams. They are still year or two away.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:29:54 PM »
Ugh, I always thought that Garnett was the T-Wolves franchise player. I guess not :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »
Dang.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:47:02 PM »
Dang.
haha, you hoped to get him in LA?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:14:47 PM »
haha, you hoped to get him in LA?

Yeah.   :)  Pipe dream.  How the heck did the Celtics go from a lottery team to three all stars in one offseason?  Geeze.  As a lifelong Lakers fan, I grew up hating the Celtics.  Now they are an automatic contender in the East.   

Meanwhile, Mitch Kupchak signs Derrick Fisher. . . .    :-\

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:25:41 PM »
I boldly predict the Celtics will finish no lower than 2nd in the Eastern Conference next season. They just acquired the NBA's most versatile player in Garnett. Garnett is top three in the entire NBA. Seriously. They just transformed into a team built to win now.

Just to play devil's advocate, they gave up depth in losing Jefferson, a solid young player with major upswing in exchange for a player that maybe might be exiting his prime as of now.

Getting Allen was a great move already if you want to talk about the team getting older.

body88

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »
I boldly predict the Celtics will finish no lower than 2nd in the Eastern Conference next season. They just acquired the NBA's most versatile player in Garnett. Garnett is top three in the entire NBA. Seriously. They just transformed into a team built to win now.

Just to play devil's advocate, they gave up depth in losing Jefferson, a solid young player with major upswing in exchange for a player that maybe might be exiting his prime as of now.

Getting Allen was a great move already if you want to talk about the team getting older.

I agree. I was hoping he would not go. Realistically there is no way that would happen tho if the Celtics wanted to aquire some prime talent. I am not sure there would be much of a fanbase left if they asked for more time. They have to win now. Even the most hardcore celtics fans where fed up. With teams like the pats and the sox there is no way the celts can compete unless they win now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:09 AM »
Man I smell a conspiracy.   >:(  Two former Celtics (McHale and Ainge).  Something rotten in Denmark . . .

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 08:14:03 AM »
Celtics are one of the Favorites to win the East....Garnett, Peirce, and Allen are a good threesome..
L

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 08:39:21 AM »

the celtics sold their future for garnett.  they better win it all next year.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 08:42:55 AM »
They also gave up two future first round picks in addition to giving up Jefferson.

Steep price if you ask me. Especially considering that Pierce and Allen have been more susceptible to injury in recent years. Big gamble if you ask me because their remaining young players are going to have to play major minutes, especially at the point and center postions. They should absolutely sign a low post playing veteran free agent for added depth. Like Body88 said, with the success of the PATS and SOX, the city's basketball fans were getting restless.

Now all the Celtice have to do is get rid of those atrocious yellow seats in the Fleet center and they're in business.

body88

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »
the celtics sold their future for garnett.  they better win it all next year.

I do not agree. On top of the vast improvement these players will cause this team to have, the Celtics still managed to retain Rondo. Word is the wolves wanted him, but the celts would not do it.The celtics have not had much of a future for years now. They have been terrible for years. This move instantly makes them valid. Green won a dunk contest, that is not cause to think he is a future superstar. He is not a franchise player. Not even close. Jefferson is debatable. He has the talent to be a all star caliber player. I did not want to see him go, but they ob had to give him up. There is not guarantee any of those players would make the Celtics anymore valid then they are now two years ago. Jefferson is the only real all star type player. One of those first round picks the Celtics gave up was a pick Minnesota sent to them in the Ricky Davis deal. Essentially a extra pick. It was a conditional pick also. They could not even use the thing for a few more years due to snags. The Celtics would always be picking 10 - 20 in the first round. No Odens there. With paul playing they suck, but not enough to pick really high. Dont forget how much time Paul missed this year with injury.The Celtics have to win now. People are sick of waiting. This has been going on for years and years. Wait, wait, wait. I think people are fed up with waiting. I like this move. Hell to make the most decorated franchise valid again after endless bad luck is worth it imo.

The Celtics where far to young last year. You also need to take into account Pierce missed monster chunks of the season. The Celtics need to win now. The youth has been given chance after chance for years. I do not think the fan base can take another 2 - 3 years of losing. Then only be good enough to make the playoffs and get stomped in the first round. Pauls is getting older. When he is gone what do they have left? Jefferson, Green, Rondo and a bunch of young draftees. Just my take.

body88

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 10:26:46 AM »
They also gave up two future first round picks in addition to giving up Jefferson.

Steep price if you ask me. Especially considering that Pierce and Allen have been more susceptible to injury in recent years. Big gamble if you ask me because their remaining young players are going to have to play major minutes, especially at the point and center postions. They should absolutely sign a low post playing veteran free agent for added depth. Like Body88 said, with the success of the PATS and SOX, the city's basketball fans were getting restless.

Now all the Celtice have to do is get rid of those atrocious yellow seats in the Fleet center and they're in business.

One of those two first round picks was a conditional pick sent to them by Minnesota in the Ricky Davis deal. Due to the wording it could not even be used by the celts until 2009. The only serious talent they gave up was Jefferson imo. They retained Rondo. Green is a good player but not a franchise type.  The celts where far to young this year. Paul was very vocal this past season. Either they get him some vet help, or he wants to be traded. Can you blame the guy? Where will he be in two years? He cannot afford to wait another two years with no real guarantee they will be that much better. Even if Jefferson becomes an all star I don't think they would have enough  power to win the east. The team was just to young. The last thing they need is more first round picks around # 20 and players that are not ready to step up. The celts have been terrible since they last made the finals when smith was here.

Don't forget how much time Paul missed last year. They would have been a hell of a lot better just with Paul coming back. It pains me to lose Jefferson. But it was the price they had to pay. Patience has worn mighty thin for the celts.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 01:18:39 PM »
So I show up for work this morning, amid constant ESPN updates about this blasted KG trade to Boston, walk into my office, and someone taped a green paper clover to my chair with the letters "KG" written in big black letters.   :'(   

Somebody is getting fired . . . .

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
LOL!

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Yeah.   :)  Pipe dream.  How the heck did the Celtics go from a lottery team to three all stars in one offseason?  Geeze.  

I guess those Leprechauns no longer hang around the home court rims, but they are certainly in the front office ;D. I really hope this works on the court as well as it does on paper. Championships are rarely won on paper but Garnett, Allen & Pierce is a hell of a lineup. As I've said about Garnett in the past, he hasn't won anything and hasn't proven himself in big game situations. 22 & 15 look great on the stat sheet but he needs to do it come playoff time. The NBA needs the Celtics winning again and this could be the shot in the arm the NBA needs.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »
Going to be funny to watch Boston still lose with all those players!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 01:11:30 PM »

They'll win 45-50 games easy in the Eastern conference. They just need depth now. Signing a couple veteran post players and maybe another back up point guard should be sufficient.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 01:29:34 PM »
LeBroom just took five guys named Moe to the NBA finals.  Miami won a championship with arguably the worst talented NBA championship team in league history.  I think the Celtics are definitely contenders. 

Now excuse me while I go lose my mid-morning oatmeal . . . .

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 01:51:28 PM »
LeBroom just took five guys named Moe to the NBA finals.  Miami won a championship with arguably the worst talented NBA championship team in league history.  I think the Celtics are definitely contenders. 

Now excuse me while I go lose my mid-morning oatmeal . . . .

So true. Dallas lost the title on their own with the help of the refs. Miami didn't win shit.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »
So true. Dallas lost the title on their own with the help of the refs. Miami didn't win shit.

I agree Miami got lots of help from the refs.  D-Whistle got Michael Jordan treatment in that series. 

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 03:39:11 PM »
they will be hyped up all year and should handle the east without too much trouble. only to get utterly crushed by the spurs should they reach the finals ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 03:44:13 PM »

the 2006 playoffs were the most tained ive ever seen. it was the first time in 13 years that i did not even watch the Finals. it was clear to me that that year, the league was going to decide the outcomes. they helped dallas past the spurs (a monumental act of unjust treachery) then decided they'd help out DWADE to get MIAMI past dallas.
both of those teams got utterly humiliated the following year in the FIRST ROUND.
so when was the last time both finals competitors got dropped in the first roundthe following year? never.only the 1006 'finalists'. both not just lost but were embarrassed on a huge scale.

neither of them deserved to be in the finals that year. 2006 playoffs were a joke

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
Ray Allen is soft. If his jumper isn't falling he might as well stay glued to the bench.
The House that Ruth built