Author Topic: good story on pits...and pit specific laws..  (Read 4267 times)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
footloose and fancy free

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: good story on pits...and pit specific laws..
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:45:48 AM »
nice story. its not all that often we get to see some positive press for pitbulls. the only problem i have is that  i would like to see more of these types of stories get into addressing the flaws of the bite stats that are mentioned in this article.  more people need to be aware of the fact that "pitbull" is just a generic term that is used for not only for apbt's, amstaffs, bull terriers, but a variety of other breeds and mixes as well. so when many readers see a strory about a pitbull attacking someone or some bite stats referring to pitbulls, in most cases it is not a true pitbull who is responsible. meanwhile it is the breeds reputation that continues to be damaged.
________________________ ________
it was good to see the majority of voters in this poll placing blame on the owners and not the dogs.

Who do you think is to blame for the majority of Pit Bull attacks?
    Poll Results:   
The Dogs   
 8.63%
The Owners   
 91.37%
Total number of votes: 440

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
a few weeks ago in n. jersey a woman was mauled by her dog---a mastiff---she had two dogs though and the other was a pit bull...well the cops had to shoot the mastiff to get it off the woman---but while all this was happening the pit bull was hiding under the bed---but of course the news and media start the news cast with a pit bull pic on the screen and the headline dog mauling...fucking media can't get it right if you drew a picture for them.
footloose and fancy free

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:40:02 AM »
a few weeks ago in n. jersey a woman was mauled by her dog---a mastiff---she had two dogs though and the other was a pit bull...well the cops had to shoot the mastiff to get it off the woman---but while all this was happening the pit bull was hiding under the bed---but of course the news and media start the news cast with a pit bull pic on the screen and the headline dog mauling...fucking media can't get it right if you drew a picture for them.

here is an example of 4 seperate dog bites that took place in the month of june 2006 and notice how each story was reported.

1. A three-year-old Virginia boy was admitted to the hospital with "extensive injuries". The child was attacked by a Golden Retriever mixed breed dog. The wounds to the child required 300 stitches; and the child will require additional surgeries to "functionally repair muscles, nerves and work on scars". This incident was reported in only two local Virginia newspapers.

2. A 3-year-old girl is admitted to Children's Hospital in Denver with serious lacerations to her face and head. The hospital declined to release the child's name or information on her condition. She had been attacked at her home by a Labrador Retriever. This attack was reported four times and only in Colorado media sources.

3. An Indiana woman is attacked and knocked to the ground by a German Shepherd dog. The dog she was walking, a small Sheltie mix was also attacked. Neighbors responded and managed to restrain the German Shepherd, but not before the woman was bitten twice in the face. Her small dog was so gravely injured that it was euthanized. This incident was reported in only one local Indiana newspaper.

4. An 11-year-old girl was bitten in the leg and taken to the hospital, when she was attacked by a pitbull in California.  This incident was reported in over ninety-one national and international newspapers. Forbes, FOX News, along with the Washington Post, LA Times, Chicago Tribune and dozens of other major news organizations headlined this "Pit Bull Attack".

*All information was researched and is fully documented by Karen Delise LVT, Independent Scholar and AuthorThe National Canine Research Council

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 07:22:05 AM »
here is an example of 4 seperate dog bites that took place in the month of june 2006 and notice how each story was reported.

1. A three-year-old Virginia boy was admitted to the hospital with "extensive injuries". The child was attacked by a Golden Retriever mixed breed dog. The wounds to the child required 300 stitches; and the child will require additional surgeries to "functionally repair muscles, nerves and work on scars". This incident was reported in only two local Virginia newspapers.

2. A 3-year-old girl is admitted to Children's Hospital in Denver with serious lacerations to her face and head. The hospital declined to release the child's name or information on her condition. She had been attacked at her home by a Labrador Retriever. This attack was reported four times and only in Colorado media sources.

3. An Indiana woman is attacked and knocked to the ground by a German Shepherd dog. The dog she was walking, a small Sheltie mix was also attacked. Neighbors responded and managed to restrain the German Shepherd, but not before the woman was bitten twice in the face. Her small dog was so gravely injured that it was euthanized. This incident was reported in only one local Indiana newspaper.

4. An 11-year-old girl was bitten in the leg and taken to the hospital, when she was attacked by a pitbull in California.  This incident was reported in over ninety-one national and international newspapers. Forbes, FOX News, along with the Washington Post, LA Times, Chicago Tribune and dozens of other major news organizations headlined this "Pit Bull Attack".

*All information was researched and is fully documented by Karen Delise LVT, Independent Scholar and AuthorThe National Canine Research Council

The Golden Retriever breed is very popular, yet there have been not one single report of a death caused by it.

Interesting, eh?

Too bad people have to go for the "tough and cool" dog breeds like mastiff, dobermann, pitbull, amstaff, dogo argentino et al.

Instead of just going to the dog shelter and getting a puppy there.
As empty as paradise

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 09:40:57 AM »
The Golden Retriever breed is very popular, yet there have been not one single report of a death caused by it.

Interesting, eh?

Too bad people have to go for the "tough and cool" dog breeds like mastiff, dobermann, pitbull, amstaff, dogo argentino et al.

Karen Delise, Author of Fatal Dog Attacks
"In reviewing and studying over 448 cases of fatal dog attacks in the United States, it is apparent that the three most critical factors that contribute to a fatal dog attack are: function of the dog, owner responsibility, and reproductive status of the dog. There is NO DOCUMENTED CASE where a single, neutered, household Pit Bull was the cause of a human fatality.”
http://www.fataldogattacks.com/

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »

Interesting, eh?

Hedge, you keep pulling up the golden retriever example.....  I've seen a couple of absolutely viscous golden retrievers.   One was a patient of mine while I was an intern in Ohio.  That dog managed to bite nearly every intern in the teaching hospital except me and one other, who never had him as a patient.  Another I encountered while running a vaccination clinic in Long Island.  This dog snapped its leash, then charged across a parking lot to grab a maltese and proceede to shake the bejesus out of the little dog---so bad its a miracle it didn't get injured worse than a bit of slobber on its fur.  The owner grabbed the golden before I could get there and had a second leash on the dog and the dog was away from all of the other dogs out of site in record time.  The owner also produced their own muzzle which they used whie I vaccinated the dog. 

The difference is in the owners.  People I've encountered who own aggressive goldens seem like they are much more likely to be "middle class" "responsible" pet owners---golden retrievers are a "middle class dog".  They dont' let their dogs get into situations where they can become a statistic.  Once again it boils down to responsible pet ownership. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:19:35 AM »
Karen Delise, Author of Fatal Dog Attacks
"In reviewing and studying over 448 cases of fatal dog attacks in the United States, it is apparent that the three most critical factors that contribute to a fatal dog attack are: function of the dog, owner responsibility, and reproductive status of the dog. There is NO DOCUMENTED CASE where a single, neutered, household Pit Bull was the cause of a human fatality.”
http://www.fataldogattacks.com/

Good point. So why are "some people", even on this board, against the neutering bills?

It could do a lot for the dogs, and also prevent human injuries.
As empty as paradise

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »

Interesting, eh?

the "tough and cool" mastiff(s)?  Most mastiffs i encounter are  obese and sweet, not sure which you are encountering...

dobermans are, by nature, gaurd dogs, but unless they are actually trained to gaurd they are just as friendly as any other dog.

Pits and amstaffs are the best dogs on the planet and also the most abused, neglected and mistreated dogs on the planet.

Dogos are... so rare and massively expensive anywhere that i really doubt people are buying them to look tough, they're probably buying them as companions or hunting dogs.  The people who would want them to look tough could never afford them.

Hedge, when they showed the Feds carrying the neglected dogs off of vicks property in their arms and they were all well behaved, sweet to the agents and non aggressive to the total strangers picking them up... were you the least bit curious as to why(?) even though they were "vicious" fighting dogs.  I'm guessing you were just thinking "good, they'll put those pits down,"  or something of that nature.  My point is that no amount of evidence, testimony or experience will ever change your perspective because you are old and set in your ways.   Although that is a sad and pathetic existence, you are entitled to it.  However, i would ask that you stop chiming in on topics dealing with pits unless you have something useful to add to the topic.  We are ALL well aware of the role that machismo plays in the world of pits.  i see blacks and mexicans everyday that i want to scream at walking around with their pit bulls and acting like jackasses.  I then see young wannabe wiggers walking around with their pits trying to look cool, emulating the rap videos and thug life.  And then i see all the good, responsible pit owners walking around with their dogs and the complete lack of image projection.  One thing is constant, the dog.  The owner is the variable in the equation and therein lies the problem, NOT the dog.  I really don't see why this is so difficult for you to understand, but again, i cite my description of you being "old and set in your ways."

Oh, and my roomate has been attacked by two golden retrievers and zero pit bulls and has had dogs all his life.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 10:25:56 AM »
Good point. So why are "some people", even on this board, against the neutering bills?

It could do a lot for the dogs, and also prevent human injuries.

I am not against the neutering laws at all for the record. People like flower have good intentions and facts, but do not go to a local SPCA 3 times a week and see a very sad situation.  She has  dogs she bought from a responsible breeder... had she adopted a dog from a shelter and donated the money she spent on her expensive dogs, many k9 lives coulda been saved or their lives improved.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »
the "tough and cool" mastiff(s)?  Most mastiffs i encounter are  obese and sweet, not sure which you are encountering...

dobermans are, by nature, gaurd dogs, but unless they are actually trained to gaurd they are just as friendly as any other dog.

Pits and amstaffs are the best dogs on the planet and also the most abused, neglected and mistreated dogs on the planet.

Dogos are... so rare and massively expensive anywhere that i really doubt people are buying them to look tough, they're probably buying them as companions or hunting dogs.  The people who would want them to look tough could never afford them.

Hedge, when they showed the Feds carrying the neglected dogs off of vicks property in their arms and they were all well behaved, sweet to the agents and non aggressive to the total strangers picking them up... were you the least bit curious as to why(?) even though they were "vicious" fighting dogs.  I'm guessing you were just thinking "good, they'll put those pits down,"  or something of that nature.  My point is that no amount of evidence, testimony or experience will ever change your perspective because you are old and set in your ways.   Although that is a sad and pathetic existence, you are entitled to it.  However, i would ask that you stop chiming in on topics dealing with pits unless you have something useful to add to the topic.  We are ALL well aware of the role that machismo plays in the world of pits.  i see blacks and mexicans everyday that i want to scream at walking around with their pit bulls and acting like jackasses.  I then see young wannabe wiggers walking around with their pits trying to look cool, emulating the rap videos and thug life.  And then i see all the good, responsible pit owners walking around with their dogs and the complete lack of image projection.  One thing is constant, the dog.  The owner is the variable in the equation and therein lies the problem, NOT the dog.  I really don't see why this is so difficult for you to understand, but again, i cite my description of you being "old and set in your ways."

Oh, and my roomate has been attacked by two golden retrievers and zero pit bulls and has had dogs all his life.

I've learned a lot from these threads. I will never be a pet person, but I definitely have much more knowledge of the different dog breeds, and I have changed my perspective slightly.

Still, I think my opinion is just as valid as anyone's. I have an interest in Pet related topics, so then I will discuss it here.

Obviously, I know so much less than many of you about dogs. But I have never pretended to be an expert either.
As empty as paradise

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »
Hedge is not a dog owner...so his experience comes from reading on the net (which is dangerous in itself) & talking to other people.

I myself must be an expert on race cars & how to drive them because....I've watched a lot of races on tv.

;)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:37:15 AM »
I am not against the neutering laws at all for the record. People like flower have good intentions and facts, but do not go to a local SPCA 3 times a week and see a very sad situation.  She has  dogs she bought from a responsible breeder... had she adopted a dog from a shelter and donated the money she spent on her expensive dogs, many k9 lives coulda been saved or their lives improved.

The AB 1634 bill was very very flawed.  It would of benefited PUPPYMILLS and shut down the RESPONSIBLE breeders. It also was setting up dogs for health problems from EARLY ALTERING.  That bill has also been proven TO FAIL, COST MORE, and RESULT IN MORE DEATHS.   Dig deeper than just seeing "spay and neuter pets" and see the whole picture.   A lot of shelter animals are older animals, early neutering would of done nothing to change that, in fact it could of contributed to more owner dumps because of health and behavior problems as a result of early neutering.  Not to mention that people would have to resort to PUPPYMILL puppies because RESPONSIBLE breeders would be fewer.  PUPPYMILL puppies are usually not the healthiest and are not breed for temperament which could result in those puppies being shelter dumps when they got older and problems showed up.  Overall mandatory Spay and Neuter bills have made problems WORSE and not better.  I am for spaying and neutering. But it should be up to the owner when to do it.  And I could NEVER support a bill that gives PUPPYMILLS a pass to keep churning dogs out (which would increase when RESPONSIBLE breeders stop breeding).  Think with your brain and not with your heart and look at the WHOLE picture.

I have a dog I went to another state and got out of a kill shelter (Addie).  I plan on hopefully rescuing another dog in my future if I can get around some of the asinine requirements that some rescues make you agree too.   My "expensive" dogs.  ::)    A person has a right to want a dog bred for health and temperament. I will be getting another dog from a RESPONSIBLE breeder in the future too I am sure.  I want a healthy dog from a raw fed and non vaccinated line.  This will not be for many years I hope.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 06:40:32 AM »
I am for spaying and neutering.

What have you done as far as spaying and neutering with your own dogs?

As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:42:11 AM »
How many of your dogs are not spayed or neutered?

Addie is the only one intact and I am planning on having her spayed in September. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 06:44:16 AM »
What have you done as far as spaying and neutering with your own dogs?

Since you changed your question  ::):

Briona was spayed at a little under a year of age, Emmett was neutered after he was 2 years old, he was going to remain intact but he started to "mark" after being out all night ( I would not have neutered him before 2 years of age anyways), Tad was neutered at 8mos of age. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 06:50:30 AM »
A lot of shelter animals are older animals, early neutering would of done nothing to change that, in fact it could of contributed to more owner dumps because of health and behavior problems as a result of early neutering.

I can't agree with this statement...i volunteer at a city shelter and the dogs that we get are between 1 year and 4 years--majority...we do get some older dogs which are rescued out--and we get some that are less than a year old.  We get many females who were used to breed (it's quite obvious because they come in hours removed from giving birth and nursing pups) --so i can't really agree that shelter dogs are primarily older...
footloose and fancy free

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »
Since you changed your question  ::):

Briona was spayed at a little under a year of age, Emmett was neutered after he was 2 years old, he was going to remain intact but he started to "mark" after being out all night ( I would not have neutered him before 2 years of age anyways), Tad was neutered at 8mos of age. 

The reason I changed it, was basically because I thought it originally to come across a bit hostile, which wasn't my intention.

That's why I changed it. Thanks for answering it anyway :-*
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 07:00:08 AM »
I can't agree with this statement...i volunteer at a city shelter and the dogs that we get are between 1 year and 4 years--majority...we do get some older dogs which are rescued out--and we get some that are less than a year old.  We get many females who were used to breed (it's quite obvious because they come in hours removed from giving birth and nursing pups) --so i can't really agree that shelter dogs are primarily older...

I am considering 1-4 as older dogs.  Meaning they are not puppies. They are dogs that belonged to someone who decided for whatever reason, to dump them.  Spaying and Neutering laws will NOT affect older dogs (in other words not puppies) from being dumped in shelters.     Your experience proves the point that about mandatory altering not doing anything for the heart of the shelter problem.

Education and affordable altering has been proven to work better than mandatory altering laws. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 09:40:24 AM »