Author Topic: Post Your Track Workouts Here  (Read 10004 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Post Your Track Workouts Here
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 07:28:45 AM »
What kind of kicks you getting?

I go for function over fashion.  I'm all about the Saucony Stabils.  They are designed for people who over-pronate when they run, and they are the only ones I have used for about the last 8 years. 
They help prevent shin splints and tendonitis in my achilles, which I have had problems with since I injured it a long time ago.

:)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 07:30:35 AM »

I go for function over fashion.  I'm all about the Saucony Stabils.  They are designed for people who over-pronate when they run, and they are the only ones I have used for about the last 8 years. 
They help prevent shin splints and tendonitis in my achilles, which I have had problems with since I injured it a long time ago.

I have about 10 pairs of New Balance, but recently bought the Nike Shox, I really do like running in them, but I heard they wear out quickly.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 07:35:58 AM »
I have about 10 pairs of New Balance, but recently bought the Nike Shox, I really do like running in them, but I heard they wear out quickly.

Shox sure do look cool, but I have heard the same thing.  I also have heard that they are not good for squatting heavy weight, as they tend to be a bit soft in the heel, but I do know people who swear by them, so I am not sure. 
I've never had a pair.  I think you can get them personalized as well.   8)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 07:37:09 AM »

Shox sure do look cool, but I have heard the same thing.  I also have heard that they are not good for squatting heavy weight, as they tend to be a bit soft in the heel, but I do know people who swear by them, so I am not sure. 

No, I just got them to run in. Plus, they look kind of cool I suppose.
E

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 09:58:35 AM »
Ok Stella, here's one that should be workable in a shorter time.

-1 lap warmup light jog, followed by brief stretch.
-100 m light sprints - run at a good clip 100 m, turn around and walk back.  Do 5 times.
-50 m hard sprints - same thing as above, 50 m, good hard sprint and walk back.  5 times.
-jump squats 50 m - jump 50 m with no walking, turn around and walk back.  3 times.
-backwards sprints 50 m - run fast backwards 50 m, jog forward 50 m.  5 times.
-walking lunges - 50 m walking lunges, turn around and walk back.  3 times.
-1 lap cooldown jog/walk.

I like this one.  I am going to do it myself as soon as I get those damn new sneakers.

Thanks Rip!  I just printed this off...and got new shoes yesterday :)
R

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »

Shox are cool shoes but they are horrible for squatting, especially front squats. The way the heel is designed it's almost imposable to keep your heel flat on the ground...and it's not like squatting with a block or plate under your heels, it seems to create a 'dead space" of air between your heel and the floor, which we all know is bad since this can make you lean too far forward.

I bought a pair of shoes about a year ago that I pretty much only wear on leg day. They're really flat and really hard on the bottom...not all that comfortable and I wouldn't want to run in them but they're perfect for squatting. I squat with those about half the time and the other times I squat barefoot. I actually prefer the barefoot squat because you seem to have so much more controll doing it this way but doing it that way every single time does put a lot of stress on your foot, especially in the arches of your feet.

Sorry for getting so far off topic from the main point of this thread, lol!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 07:01:18 AM »
Shox are cool shoes but they are horrible for squatting, especially front squats. The way the heel is designed it's almost imposable to keep your heel flat on the ground...and it's not like squatting with a block or plate under your heels, it seems to create a 'dead space" of air between your heel and the floor, which we all know is bad since this can make you lean too far forward.

I bought a pair of shoes about a year ago that I pretty much only wear on leg day. They're really flat and really hard on the bottom...not all that comfortable and I wouldn't want to run in them but they're perfect for squatting. I squat with those about half the time and the other times I squat barefoot. I actually prefer the barefoot squat because you seem to have so much more controll doing it this way but doing it that way every single time does put a lot of stress on your foot, especially in the arches of your feet.

Sorry for getting so far off topic from the main point of this thread, lol!

That's pretty much what I figured about the Shox.  My husband got a pair and ended up hating them. 

I cannot emphasize how important a good pair of shoes is.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 01:57:48 PM »

That's pretty much what I figured about the Shox.  My husband got a pair and ended up hating them. 

I cannot emphasize how important a good pair of shoes is.

Agreed...good shoes for training are everything IMO. Maybe one day I'll be big and bad enough to graduate to training in combat boots, lol!

The Coach

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
Now is the time for most of us to take our cardio outside, and what better way to work on your leg development than with a track workout. 
I do different track workouts every time I go to the track.  The possibilities are endless.

Here's one workout that I've done a few times, or something similar to it. 
This is based on a 400 m track, but it can be modified for whatever size.  Some indoor tracks are much smaller, esp in gyms.

---2 laps jogging warmup followed by a light stretch

---SPRINTS around the track - 100 m sprint, 100 m light jog/walk, 100 m sprint, 100 m light jog/walk.  Repeat 2-4 times.  Just make sure that the sprints are on the straight part of the track...not a good idea to sprint around the turns, as you can strain your knees.

---one lap light jog/walk to bring the HR back down

---SKIPPING - Skip as much as you can around the track.  Walk as needed to recover (you will feel the burn!), but be sure to pick it up and skip again.  There should be more skipping than walking.  2-4 laps.
This is great for the calves!

---Super Sprints - 50 m as fast as you can.  Turn around and walk back.  Repeat with no additional rest.  Do 6-10 of them.
Do 6-10 more backwards...run 50 m backwards as fast as you can and then walk forwards back to starting place.  Repeat with no additional rest.

---2 laps jog/walk to cool down.

Depending on your conditioning, how much you run/walk, and how many laps/repetitions, this should take you somewhere between 40 mins - one hour.

Stairs/bleachers can be added at the beginning or end, depending on how badly you want to hurt.   ;D

Here it is for me once per week:

15min Dynamic warm-up (too much to list but usually 20 yards)

400 meters, sprint straights walk curves

Run bleachers on seats , sprint everyother section, box jump everyother section (our bleacher have 4 sections) 3 min rest between each run.

Sled pull with 45 to 90lbs (depending on how I feel, I'm on low carbs right now) 40 yards backwards, 40 yards pushing, 5 min rest between each run.

keg toss - 5 sets 5 tosses

400 meter cool down

Stretch

go home pass out!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 11:55:39 AM »
Here it is for me once per week:

15min Dynamic warm-up (too much to list but usually 20 yards)

400 meters, sprint straights walk curves

Run bleachers on seats , sprint everyother section, box jump everyother section (our bleacher have 4 sections) 3 min rest between each run.

Sled pull with 45 to 90lbs (depending on how I feel, I'm on low carbs right now) 40 yards backwards, 40 yards pushing, 5 min rest between each run.

keg toss - 5 sets 5 tosses

400 meter cool down

Stretch

go home pass out!

I am having flashbacks to my college days....I'm not sure what a keg toss is in the context of a track workout?   Same for the sled pull, actually....

Can I just skip the first part and go straight to the "go home and pass out" part?   ;D

The Coach

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 02:54:55 PM »

I am having flashbacks to my college days....I'm not sure what a keg toss is in the context of a track workout?   Same for the sled pull, actually....

Can I just skip the first part and go straight to the "go home and pass out" part?   ;D

It's in the context that it's all done at the track....LOL ;D

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »
for women who over pronate, and or have arch problems....another great show is the Brooks Ariel.  i have worn the mens version, the Beast, and it i s a grrrrreat shoe.