Author Topic: Post Your Track Workouts Here  (Read 10005 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Post Your Track Workouts Here
« on: August 01, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »
Now is the time for most of us to take our cardio outside, and what better way to work on your leg development than with a track workout. 
I do different track workouts every time I go to the track.  The possibilities are endless.

Here's one workout that I've done a few times, or something similar to it. 
This is based on a 400 m track, but it can be modified for whatever size.  Some indoor tracks are much smaller, esp in gyms.

---2 laps jogging warmup followed by a light stretch

---SPRINTS around the track - 100 m sprint, 100 m light jog/walk, 100 m sprint, 100 m light jog/walk.  Repeat 2-4 times.  Just make sure that the sprints are on the straight part of the track...not a good idea to sprint around the turns, as you can strain your knees.

---one lap light jog/walk to bring the HR back down

---SKIPPING - Skip as much as you can around the track.  Walk as needed to recover (you will feel the burn!), but be sure to pick it up and skip again.  There should be more skipping than walking.  2-4 laps.
This is great for the calves!

---Super Sprints - 50 m as fast as you can.  Turn around and walk back.  Repeat with no additional rest.  Do 6-10 of them.
Do 6-10 more backwards...run 50 m backwards as fast as you can and then walk forwards back to starting place.  Repeat with no additional rest.

---2 laps jog/walk to cool down.

Depending on your conditioning, how much you run/walk, and how many laps/repetitions, this should take you somewhere between 40 mins - one hour.

Stairs/bleachers can be added at the beginning or end, depending on how badly you want to hurt.   ;D
:)

bthomas77

• Getbig II
Re: Post Your Track Workouts Here
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »
you really dont like yourself do you?

seriously though, that looks like a fabulous workout.....

mahg

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
How fast do you run the mile (4 laps around the track)? I routinely run it in 5 minutes.  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 01:04:34 PM »
you really dont like yourself do you?

seriously though, that looks like a fabulous workout.....

I am a masochist.  "If it doesn't hurt, then you are not doing it right."   ;D

Here's another.  This one is brutal.  It focuses more on the inner and outer thighs.

---CHASSES around the track - it's a ballet term...quick gliding steps with the same foot always leading.  Chasses on the straight parts, jog on the turns.  One lap with chasses facing inside, one lap with chasses facing outside.  Repeat 2 times for a total of 4 laps.

---JUMP SQUATS - JUMP 100 m in a squat position.  No walking in between, jump the whole way and stay low.  Walk back to start.  Repeat 5 times.

---GRAPEVINE around the track - grapevine on the straight parts, walk/jog the turns.  Repeat 2-4 times.

---FINISH with Super Sprints - 50 m as fast as you can.  Turn around and walk back.  Repeat with no additional rest.  Do 8-10 of them.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
How fast do you run the mile (4 laps around the track)? I routinely run it in 5 minutes.  8)

I'm gonna have to see that to believe it.   ::)

I'm not very fast...I am good for about an 8-9 minute mile when I am really feelin' it.

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »

Here's another.  This one is brutal.  It focuses more on the inner and outer thighs.

---CHASSES around the track - it's a ballet term...quick gliding steps with the same foot always leading.  Chasses on the straight parts, jog on the turns.  One lap with chasses facing inside, one lap with chasses facing outside.  Repeat 2 times for a total of 4 laps.

---JUMP SQUATS - JUMP 100 m in a squat position.  No walking in between, jump the whole way and stay low.  Walk back to start.  Repeat 5 times.

---GRAPEVINE around the track - grapevine on the straight parts, walk/jog the turns.  Repeat 2-4 times.

---FINISH with Super Sprints - 50 m as fast as you can.  Turn around and walk back.  Repeat with no additional rest.  Do 8-10 of them.

starts stroking goatee with evil grin......(football coach here)

ive done most of this, and know how brutal it is.....you are insane...............

worst running workout i ever made my kids so though....i call the pukilator.....it was more designed for punnishment, there are few small things you can take out, that make it not as much punnishing......

our practice field is only 50yds.  first ten yards sprint.  next ten roll with your head pointing to one sideline.  next ten back pedal.  next ten roll with head pointing at other side line.  then sprint ten. (you can always take out the rolls....they are pointless i just got pissed on day.)  do like 6 of those.  then run four gassers.  one gaser is the width of the football field four times.  sideline to sideline to sideline to sideline.  you get decent breaks becuase we would separate the kids into three groups.  so you have the time it takes two groups to do a gasser to recover.  mind you a football field is 53 1/3 yards wide.  so one gasser is 213 1/3yds.

im a nice guy, dont you think?  instead of doing a certain number of gassers, i would wait til three kids puked...thus the name of the pukilator.....:D

mahg

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:45:10 PM »
starts stroking goatee with evil grin......(football coach here)

ive done most of this, and know how brutal it is.....you are insane...............

worst running workout i ever made my kids so though....i call the pukilator.....it was more designed for punnishment, there are few small things you can take out, that make it not as much punnishing......

our practice field is only 50yds.  first ten yards sprint.  next ten roll with your head pointing to one sideline.  next ten back pedal.  next ten roll with head pointing at other side line.  then sprint ten. (you can always take out the rolls....they are pointless i just got pissed on day.)  do like 6 of those.  then run four gassers.  one gaser is the width of the football field four times.  sideline to sideline to sideline to sideline.  you get decent breaks becuase we would separate the kids into three groups.  so you have the time it takes two groups to do a gasser to recover.  mind you a football field is 53 1/3 yards wide.  so one gasser is 213 1/3yds.

im a nice guy, dont you think?  instead of doing a certain number of gassers, i would wait til three kids puked...thus the name of the pukilator.....:D

Isn't 1yd like 0.9 metres?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »
I'm printing these off.  My workout partner is going to be mad.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!
R

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »
Isn't 1yd like 0.9 metres?
.91 to be exact...

mahg

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
.91 to be exact...

>first ten yards sprint

How does anyone sprint for 9 metres? It would take all of 1 1/2 seconds.

>you get decent breaks

People need a break after running 9 metres?  ;D

>then run four gassers
>one gasser is 213 1/3yds
>i would wait til three kids puked

That's a total of less than 800 metres (2 laps) (1/2 a mile). People puked running half a mile?  ;D  ;D

You're no football coach. This is all bullshit isn't it?  ;D

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 05:38:39 PM »
>first ten yards sprint

How does anyone sprint for 9 metres? It would take all of 1 1/2 seconds.

>you get decent breaks

People need a break after running 9 metres?  ;D

>then run four gassers
>one gasser is 213 1/3yds
>i would wait til three kids puked

That's a total of less than 800 metres (2 laps) (1/2 a mile). People puked running half a mile?  ;D  ;D

You're no football coach. This is all bullshit isn't it?  ;D
have you ever tried sprinting that?

trust me gassers are not fun...no pacing....you go as hard as you can.....shoot i used to do this crap when i was playing....its not very fun.  and yes you can sprint for ten yards.

the other work out i do, that may be more of a challenge for you.  its football centered.  ok.  so they say the average football play lasts 6 seconds.  and you generally have about 35-40 seconds between each play.   i coach high school freshman and we play 4 10 minute quarters.  so.....what i do.  is i get them jogging.  go for like a five minutes.  then, i blow my whistle and have them sprint for 6-10 seconds.  blow it again, and they jog for 30 seconds.  i keep repeating that for ten minutes.  i let them walk for 2...about the break between the 1st and second quarter.  then the same thing for another 10 minutes.  then a 5 minute walk....half time...then 10 minutes of sprint and jog.  2 min walk....break between 3rd and 4th.  then the final 10 min.  i would have them walk for a couple of minutes.  and it would be dont.  takes about 55min.  and is a pain in the ass.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
have you ever tried sprinting that?

trust me gassers are not fun...no pacing....you go as hard as you can.....shoot i used to do this crap when i was playing....its not very fun.  and yes you can sprint for ten yards.

the other work out i do, that may be more of a challenge for you.  its football centered.  ok.  so they say the average football play lasts 6 seconds.  and you generally have about 35-40 seconds between each play.   i coach high school freshman and we play 4 10 minute quarters.  so.....what i do.  is i get them jogging.  go for like a five minutes.  then, i blow my whistle and have them sprint for 6-10 seconds.  blow it again, and they jog for 30 seconds.  i keep repeating that for ten minutes.  i let them walk for 2...about the break between the 1st and second quarter.  then the same thing for another 10 minutes.  then a 5 minute walk....half time...then 10 minutes of sprint and jog.  2 min walk....break between 3rd and 4th.  then the final 10 min.  i would have them walk for a couple of minutes.  and it would be dont.  takes about 55min.  and is a pain in the ass.

These are actually really good workouts, and not just for football players. 
Short sprints like that help develop the fast twitch muscle fiber and will ultimately lead to better leg separation on a BB.

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 05:46:53 AM »
Here is one that I've done....

Jog 1 lap for a warmup, doing a variety of high knees, chasses, skips, etc-
Stretch

Sprints--Sprint as hard/fast as you can on the straight away, then walk the curve (recovery is only as long as it takes to walk the curve, no stopping to rest)---X 8-10
Stairs-Run as fast as you can up one stairway, then down the other side (I go a little slower on the way down b/c I feel like I will bust my face if I go fast)...the steps are close together, so it is a very quick step--- X10
Bleachers-Walk...I do "Step-up/Knee-up" walking up the actual bleacher seats, not the steps, with arms behind my head--- X10
Walking lunges---across the football field (widthwise), then jog 1/2 lap back to starting position---X 5
Squat LongJumps--I do these down the long jump runway--arms crossed/hands on shoulders, squat as deep as possible, then explode up/out as far as possible...jog back to starting position---X 5

1/2 lap jog + 1/2 lap walk for a cool down, then some abs and stretching

I haven't done this as much lately, as I needed to spend more time perfecting my routine, but I was doing this type of workout once per week for the first 8 weeks or so of my prep. It was a great workout that helped me to build some endurance/explosiveness for the routine.  It also helped with leg development. 
One word of caution, however, if you have never done these types of workouts, go into it slowly because shin splints and knee issues can develop quickly and be hard to get rid of.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 12:55:06 PM »
I'm printing these off.  My workout partner is going to be mad.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!

Stella, I LOVE your attitude.    8)

One word of caution, however, if you have never done these types of workouts, go into it slowly because shin splints and knee issues can develop quickly and be hard to get rid of.

Very true....a good supportive pair of sneakers is a MUST. 
Great workout BTW.   

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »
Warm up with 2 laps-fast walk/jog
Dynamic Warmup-High knee walk/skip/jogs, heel ups, SLDL walk, SL skips,lunges

Sprint Straights, walk/jog curves-6 laps
Stadium Steps-Sprint up, walk down, rest 2-3 min after you complete the length, repeat X times
and/or
Stadium Steps-plyometric jumps up the bleachers, walk down, after you complete the length rest 2-3 min (assuming you are training at an avg. high school track, not a college track)

Another alternative is to sprint around the track for X seconds (up to 1 min) and walk for double the amount, do this for about 45-60 min.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 05:41:14 AM »
I have never done a track workout.   :(   but I don't compete so I think I can live with not doing them!! ;D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 06:33:20 AM »
I once ran in the late 80s, can't remember why though, think I was being chased.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 08:35:06 AM »

:'(  :'(  :'(  Couldn't finish it.  I couldn't do the jump squats the whole way...had to rest in between and then replaced them w/walking lunges :-[    Then I thought instead of the last 1/2 of the workout I'd do bleachers (which are easy in comparison to this workout :-\ ) but it was just too hot!  My workout partner wasn't there and I thought I might die so I quit  ::)   Will do some eliptical later :)
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »

:'(  :'(  :'(  Couldn't finish it.  I couldn't do the jump squats the whole way...had to rest in between and then replaced them w/walking lunges :-[    Then I thought instead of the last 1/2 of the workout I'd do bleachers (which are easy in comparison to this workout :-\ ) but it was just too hot!  My workout partner wasn't there and I thought I might die so I quit  ::)   Will do some eliptical later :)

You gotta start somewhere with these workouts, so good for you! 
I have to admit, I have not done a track workout since my contest prep in about May...The hardest time to do these workouts is in the dog days of summer.  I am going to get back into the track workouts in September, as soon as I get myself a new pair of sneakers. 
I betcha $100 I won't be able to get all the way through one of my own workouts either when I start back!   ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 11:44:28 AM »

You gotta start somewhere with these workouts, so good for you! 
I have to admit, I have not done a track workout since my contest prep in about May...The hardest time to do these workouts is in the dog days of summer.  I am going to get back into the track workouts in September, as soon as I get myself a new pair of sneakers. 
I betcha $100 I won't be able to get all the way through one of my own workouts either when I start back!   ;D

It was extremely hot today (supposed to be all week) so that was one "excuse!"

Do you happen to have callouses on your feet?  During the chasses it seemed like my clompers were getting rubbed.  With the size of my feet that's a whole lotta hurt :-\
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
It was extremely hot today (supposed to be all week) so that was one "excuse!"

Do you happen to have callouses on your feet?  During the chasses it seemed like my clompers were getting rubbed.  With the size of my feet that's a whole lotta hurt :-\

Ouch!   :(
Make sure your sneakers are in good shape!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

My workout partner and I did a "version" of this workout this morning.  We didn't finish it and were there for about 90 minutes oh brother hahaha  :-\  :-[  :'(
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 11:26:16 AM »
My workout partner and I did a "version" of this workout this morning.  We didn't finish it and were there for about 90 minutes oh brother hahaha  :-\  :-[  :'(

Oh no!  lol  I havent done one of these for sooo long.  I need a new pair of sneakers first.
You'll have to try to cut it down a bit for next time...cut out a few of the repetitions so you don't die!!   :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 07:21:03 AM »
Ok Stella, here's one that should be workable in a shorter time.

-1 lap warmup light jog, followed by brief stretch.
-100 m light sprints - run at a good clip 100 m, turn around and walk back.  Do 5 times.
-50 m hard sprints - same thing as above, 50 m, good hard sprint and walk back.  5 times.
-jump squats 50 m - jump 50 m with no walking, turn around and walk back.  3 times.
-backwards sprints 50 m - run fast backwards 50 m, jog forward 50 m.  5 times.
-walking lunges - 50 m walking lunges, turn around and walk back.  3 times.
-1 lap cooldown jog/walk.

I like this one.  I am going to do it myself as soon as I get those damn new sneakers.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »
Ok Stella, here's one that should be workable in a shorter time.

-1 lap warmup light jog, followed by brief stretch.
-100 m light sprints - run at a good clip 100 m, turn around and walk back.  Do 5 times.
-50 m hard sprints - same thing as above, 50 m, good hard sprint and walk back.  5 times.
-jump squats 50 m - jump 50 m with no walking, turn around and walk back.  3 times.
-backwards sprints 50 m - run fast backwards 50 m, jog forward 50 m.  5 times.
-walking lunges - 50 m walking lunges, turn around and walk back.  3 times.
-1 lap cooldown jog/walk.

I like this one.  I am going to do it myself as soon as I get those damn new sneakers.

What kind of kicks you getting?
E