Author Topic: Anyone do 1 legged squats?  (Read 5727 times)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
Anyone do 1 legged squats?
« on: August 02, 2007, 04:23:35 AM »
I do them at the end of a leg session, we got a new piece of equipment in mt gym where you can fix your legs in place, its easier to do one legged squats on that.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Anyone do 1 legged squats?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:40:52 AM »
I never tried it but it looks hard.  Would think it would test your balance a lot.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:56:36 AM »
I never tried it but it looks hard.  Would think it would test your balance a lot.
  they are interesting to say the least,

yeah balance is not that hard to be honest, its more strength etc, if i wanna go higher reps like 20, ill use the ends of the squat cage to assist

its a great finisher i think.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:39:05 AM »
I've done them one-legged on the Free Motion squat machines a few times.  Just with like 30 or 40 pounds of weight, and they are a killer.  I can remember the pain quite well. 

Balance does look really tough, esp at the end of a workout when your legs are pooped out.  Def. a good finisher, also a good one to add into track/outside workouts.

I'm training legs tonight, so I will try them out.   :)

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:48:53 PM »
I've done them one-legged on the Free Motion squat machines a few times.  Just with like 30 or 40 pounds of weight, and they are a killer.  I can remember the pain quite well. 

Balance does look really tough, esp at the end of a workout when your legs are pooped out.  Def. a good finisher, also a good one to add into track/outside workouts.

I'm training legs tonight, so I will try them out.   :)

We have that machine at my gym too but I have never tried it, I think I will give it a whirl next time.  We also have this lunge machine that is brutal, will try and find a pic of it.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 07:48:12 AM »
I tried these last night at the end of my leg workout, and there is absolutely NO WAY I can do these without holding on to something. 
I do not know how that woman in the pics above does that exercise so deep without holding on.  Balance was impossible for me, not to mention that it's just very hard to get down on one leg in that position!

Props to anyone who can do these, esp at the END of a leg workout.   8)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 08:05:55 AM »
I tried these last night at the end of my leg workout, and there is absolutely NO WAY I can do these without holding on to something. 
I do not know how that woman in the pics above does that exercise so deep without holding on.  Balance was impossible for me, not to mention that it's just very hard to get down on one leg in that position!

I know some who can do a 1 legged squats with a 45 plate, at the end of a leg workout, sick, I tell you.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 08:11:09 AM »
I know some who can do a 1 legged squats with a 45 plate, at the end of a leg workout, sick, I tell you.

I'm gonna have to see that to believe it.    ;D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:27:29 AM »

I'm gonna have to see that to believe it.    ;D

why would i lie, hes a freak at that shit.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 11:29:30 AM »
why would i lie, hes a freak at that shit.

I like freaks!    8)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »
that looks like one very knee-wrecking machine

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 12:08:04 PM »

She has some serious functional strength!  You can start out on a very high box and stand on top, to the side, holding a stick for balance and support.  I've seen some people using the DL cage and the hold onto the sides with both hands.  If you aren't experienced, or don't have good single leg strength, you should progress from split squats to SL bench squats, then attempt these SL box squats.  I think you can also start out holding 5lb db as a counter balance and keep your weight on the heel.  As you squat down raise the db to shoulder level.  Bend at the knee and not at the ankle.  Do 3 sets of 5 reps. and progress from there. 

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 06:13:06 AM »
that looks like one very knee-wrecking machine

My thoughts to
Money drugs and bitches

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 05:38:47 AM »
She has some serious functional strength!  You can start out on a very high box and stand on top, to the side, holding a stick for balance and support.  I've seen some people using the DL cage and the hold onto the sides with both hands.  If you aren't experienced, or don't have good single leg strength, you should progress from split squats to SL bench squats, then attempt these SL box squats.  I think you can also start out holding 5lb db as a counter balance and keep your weight on the heel.  As you squat down raise the db to shoulder level.  Bend at the knee and not at the ankle.  Do 3 sets of 5 reps. and progress from there. 

I'm confused.   :-\   I don't understand using the box, and the term split squat. 

I am going to try the single legs in the DL cage as support! 
;D

(I wonder if that girl can do that face smashers thing for the glutes!  :o)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:34:12 AM »
I'm confused.   :-\   I don't understand using the box, and the term split squat. 

;D

Use the cage just enough to get back up.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 07:08:14 AM »
Use the cage just enough to get back up.

Are you saying I would "cheat"   8)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 07:25:13 AM »
  Are you saying I would "cheat"   8)

lol a little maybe  ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 07:57:50 AM »

;D

I'm going to add this exercise to the list of exercises that I want to master during this off-season....right after the glute-ham drops, which I AM going to master.   ;D

I'm gonna try out some of Cham's techniques to figure out how to do these.  They are NOT easy...just the movement is kind of hard to get. 

Flower, split squats are very similar to lunges with a little bit different center of balance.  They are one-legged squats....you keep the other foot on the ground to help you balance...almost like you are lunging but balancing all of your weight a little further back (on your butt, not your quads). 

You can practice split squats well on the Free Motion machine pictured above...put your squatting leg/foot out in front of you, and place your other foot way back and just use it to stabilize/balance yourself. 

Once you get the hang of them, you can balance your other foot on a bench or something...these are called Bulgarian Split Squats, but I prefer to call them "Torture Lunges."   See pics attached.
I usually balance by back foot on the Hammer Strength Shrug machine, and then use the machine to do them with A LITTLE bit of weight. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 08:37:52 AM »
Oh- I've done the torture lunges b4.   

i think the split squat and single leg squat was/is confusing me.   ::)  So in a true single leg squat you do NOT use the other leg at all, and in a split squat you use it for some balance/support?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 08:39:05 AM »

i think the split squat and single leg squat was/is confusing me.   ::)  So in a true single leg squat you do NOT use the other leg at all, and in a split squat you use it for some balance/support?

We don't have a free motion machine but we do have one of those lying squat/leg press machines. 

I have done single legs on the leg press too.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 08:46:25 AM »

Yes, the woman pictured at the beginning of this thread is doing a true single leg squat.  You would not BELIEVE how hard this is until you try it.   :o

Cham was suggesting split squats as a way to progress towards single legged squats.  I agree that it does involve an element of functional strength as well, sort of like the glute-ham drops.  It's not an exercise that just comes to most people easily.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 04:24:20 PM »

Yes, the woman pictured at the beginning of this thread is doing a true single leg squat.  You would not BELIEVE how hard this is until you try it.   :o

Cham was suggesting split squats as a way to progress towards single legged squats.  I agree that it does involve an element of functional strength as well, sort of like the glute-ham drops.  It's not an exercise that just comes to most people easily.

I gotta friend who can REP out like 15 reps when hes on fire with the true single leg squats, as i said before, hes done them while holding a 45 plate aswell, natural aswell, freak.