Author Topic: Bush Won't Let Rove Testify to Congress  (Read 1168 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bush Won't Let Rove Testify to Congress
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:53:24 AM »
Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2007 7:45 p.m. EDT

Citing executive privilege, President George W. Bush has barred his close adviser Karl Rove from testifying to the Senate Judiciary Committee in a probe over fired federal prosecutors, CNN said on Wednesday.

The committee had subpoenaed Rove to testify at a hearing on Thursday morning in its investigation of the firing last year of nine federal prosecutors, which critics said was prompted by partisan politics.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/8/1/194643.shtml?s=lh

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Bush Won't Let Rove Testify to Congress
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:29:19 AM »
Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2007 7:45 p.m. EDT

Citing executive privilege, President George W. Bush has barred his close adviser Karl Rove from testifying to the Senate Judiciary Committee in a probe over fired federal prosecutors, CNN said on Wednesday.

The committee had subpoenaed Rove to testify at a hearing on Thursday morning in its investigation of the firing last year of nine federal prosecutors, which critics said was prompted by partisan politics.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/8/1/194643.shtml?s=lh
Just can't let go of this one, can they?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »

I agree.   

If it is a witch hunt why bar testimony?   Doing so implies a smoking gun.   Allowing Rove to testify speeds the validation of it being a true witch hunt and clears people of any wrong doing.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
I agree.   

If it is a witch hunt why bar testimony?   Doing so implies a smoking gun.   Allowing Rove to testify speeds the validation of it being a true witch hunt and clears people of any wrong doing.

Why break precedent? This admin never cooperates with any investigation. Everything is a bipartisan witch hunt.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:00:51 AM »
Bush must either be real stupid.

Or he must consider the damage of Rove witnessing to be bigger than this thing hanging out there for ages.
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:28 AM »

They can't.  It's embarrassing. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 08:03:35 AM »
A witchhunt?

If there are any Bush supporters left, just reflect on how you've had to debase yourselves and your country to support this man and his administration:

Support of:

*torture
*illegal nation building
*illegal governmental spying on american citizens
*use of the patriot Act on US citizens
*Tax cuts during a time of war
*Record setting national debt
*an Atty Gen whose tongue would snap off its roller if he ever told a truthful statement
*and there is so much more

Now an investigation into the suspicious firings of federal attorneys is a witchhunt?

Do you people ever take off the rose-colored glasses?

The facts:  7 US attorneys are dismissed and their positions are filled pursuant to a little know provision in the Patriot Act which permits the Atty Gen to appoint the lawyers without Senate confirmation.  These new powers are greater than that held by the president (requiring confirmation of appointees).  This happened during the second term of Bush's presidency.  The lawyers fired were Bush's own handpicked lawyers which he appointed.

Firings and appointments of this type have never happened before in the history of this country.

The issues:  The appearance exists that these firings were done to manipulate federal investigations of democrats for vote fraud during elections.  The hiring policy of the DOJ improperly included political tests to gauge the allegiance of candidates to the Bush administration.  The DOJ and whitehouse have been lying to Congress about the reasons for such dismissals.

If you can look at that, in light of all the other illegalities of this administration, and conclude that there's nothing there, then you have been fitted for and are wearing some damn fine rose-colored glasses.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
and what will the limp liberals do about it?

answer: nothing.
I would love to disagree with this but... but...   >:(

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 06:42:11 AM »
and what will the limp liberals do about it?

answer: nothing.
If you are referring to the democrats as liberals (I think you're wrong) they are doing all they can but they don't have the votes to do anything legislatively.  That's why you are seeing them do what they can do--investigate the multiple fronts of unconstitutional, illegal and unethical behavior borne by this administration.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 06:46:11 AM »
They're palying Reindeer games in attempt to build power. They don't care about the issues, they care about the perception of caring...about the issue.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 07:52:02 AM »
They're palying Reindeer games in attempt to build power. They don't care about the issues, they care about the perception of caring...about the issue.
Maybe.  I don't know.  I'm not a mindreader.  I don't know their thoughts.  But the actions of the democrats, for whatever reason(s), are having the effect of thrusting accountability on the Bush administration. 

That has been sorely missing over the last six years.