Author Topic: $15.3 million dollar divorce ruling could ruin Giant season  (Read 9137 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
$15.3 million dollar divorce ruling could ruin Giant season
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:42:28 AM »
Giant headache

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
August 2, 2007

NFL coaches have spent years trying to figure out how to stop Michael Strahan from recording another sack. Who knew the secret just might have been a curly haired suburban mother of twins?

Of course as Jean Strahan, the former Mrs. Michael Strahan, said in the divorce papers, the issue didn't begin with her but when her husband allegedly had relations, shall we say, outside the covenant of their marriage. And that's among other transgressions.

We'd leave this to the tabloids and gossip pages except the off-field life of the NFL's active sack leader might derail the New York Giants' season before it even begins.

Strahan hasn't shown up for Giants camp in Albany, N.Y. and there is little doubt he wants more money to play this season. Actually, he doesn't just want it, he darn well needs it.

Strahan may be set to make $4 million this year – although his daily $14,288 fine for missing camp is slowly cutting into that – but due to Jean Strahan's remarkable victory in divorce court earlier this year, that probably isn't enough.

Michael got taken to the cleaners to the tune of $15.3 million in the divorce (New York Daily News headline: "Wife: 15,000,000, Strahan: 0"). He also had to vacate the couple's 1906 Montclair, N.J. mansion, the one with the 22,000-square feet, 12 bedrooms, seven baths and a garage big enough for 20 cars.

And then there is the nearly $18,000 per month in child support, which will go on long after Strahan, 35, can no longer earn NFL millions. He also was ordered to pay $311,000 in back child support. Plus he owes 91 percent of his kids' private school tuition, payments that won't end until they get out of college in about 2026.

The ruling was even more than Jean actually sought for the less than six years of marriage. The judge wound up giving up more than half of Michael's estimated $22 million of net worth.

Here's the amazing part: they actually had a pre-nuptial agreement. That thing was so bad that it was Michael, not Jean, who tried to get it invalidated. Of course, Michael appealed the ruling so Jean has yet to get much of anything, meaning she is trying to sell the mansion (for over $3 million) and even had a yard sale to hawk their belongings.

Regardless, Michael, after that soaking, is understandably looking for more cash in what may be his last season anyway. He's threatened retirement. The problem is he has no bargaining power here. The Giants would be idiots to renegotiate a deal with a guy who they know is in a financial situation that he virtually has to play this season.

"He is under contract and I think you all know what our position is on that," co-owner John Mara told reporters Wednesday, day six of Strahan's holdout.

Four million may not be enough, but it's more than he's making doing anything else. And understand that once Strahan is done playing, he's going to have to find himself a j-o-b.

No, Strahan isn't going hungry. He still, according to court documents, has over $6 million in net worth. For the sake of argument, if that was all liquid he could invest it – even at the corner bank – and get a decent return of four percent annually. That's around $240,000 in year one. This, needless to say, is a figure 90-something percent of Americans would gladly accept as an annual salary.

Except Strahan lives like less than one percent of America, his burn rate in a given month is slightly higher than yours and mine (you don't have a 20-car garage if you just drive an Impala).

Financially, it doesn't seem possible for him to maintain his pre-divorce lifestyle after he retires. After all, he owes $214,745 annually in child support alone which is why the aforementioned conservative, set-for-life investment plan can't work.

Strahan has somewhat of a gregarious personality (he's like John Salley, people think he's funny even if he never actually is) so he's probably suited for some kind of TV work. But he isn't getting one of those monster deals with NBC, like the polished Tiki Barber.

Strahan's rep took a beating in the divorce. It was alleged he ditched his wife and twin 2-year-old daughters to jet off with his mistresses, one he supposedly called "Cupcake." Then there was the time, Jean alleged, he secretly videotaped her sister as she undressed only to later allegedly deposit $30,000 in her bank account.

And, maybe most damaging to female viewers, there was the rebuke by the judge for not remembering Jean's birthday or their wedding anniversary. Every man knows that's tough to overcome.

The Huxtables, this family wasn't. As a result of all the dirty laundry, he's probably looking at a gig with "The Best Damn Sports Show" which doesn't quite pay as well as he'd like.

At this point, control freak Tom Coughlin has to be beside himself, pacing around Albany cursing bad pre-nups, lamenting his pass rush and lecturing Eli Manning to stay single forever, or at least until Coughlin's tenure ends.

"I'm going to Disney World!" Jean Strahan laughed outside divorce court in January.

At this rate, she won't run into any Giants down there after the Super Bowl.

:o    Ouch! I was hurting just reading that story.
My goodness! I'm sure there's got to be a way for him to have those payment amounts lowered.
I'm sure after he retires he can file to have the amounts reduced.
w

body88

Re: $15.3 million dollar divorce ruling could ruin Giant season
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:54:46 AM »
Now they have to figure out how to replace Tikis production.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:09:27 AM »
Now they have to figure out how to replace Tikis production.
Watch out brandon Jacobs could suprise you. I hate the Giants but I think this kid is going to have a big year. Pounding the ball during the cold months, like football should be played.

body88

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
Watch out brandon Jacobs could suprise you. I hate the Giants but I think this kid is going to have a big year. Pounding the ball during the cold months, like football should be played.

What percenatge was tiki of the total offensive production? Do you know? I think it was like 40 percent or something.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »
I don't think it takes a genuis to figure out why Strahan is holding out for a new contract and more money. He really took it on the chin with this divorce.

He won't get the new contract because he has no leverage. He'll be 36 years old this season and even if he did get a new contract, he'd probably retire after this season anyway. Even though he's still a productive player, the Giants are prepared to move on without him.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »
What percenatge was tiki of the total offensive production? Do you know? I think it was like 40 percent or something.

Yea but having someone with that much of the offense ran thru them sometimes limits a team from doing better. My Eagles are a example, we can run the ball but mcnabb/reid want to throw and it takes away from having a good running game. With Jacobs running and spreading passes to shockley/toomer/moss/burris it will make them more well rounded.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 07:55:59 AM »
I'm looking forwards to Jacobs running the ball and they have a solid back up in Droughns.
Barber was a GREAT running back but a detriment to the moral of the team last year.he should of announced his retirement at the beginning of the year or after the year was done.Coughlin was was the one who showed him how to hold onto the ball,before that he was a good running back but a chronic fumbler.to many times last year it was about Tiki,questions about his retirement,how he though the team was outcoached,and now that he's done he's saying he was worked to hard in practice ::)

body88

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
Yea but having someone with that much of the offense ran thru them sometimes limits a team from doing better. My Eagles are a example, we can run the ball but mcnabb/reid want to throw and it takes away from having a good running game. With Jacobs running and spreading passes to shockley/toomer/moss/burris it will make them more well rounded.

Good point.

body88

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 09:17:23 AM »
I'm looking forwards to Jacobs running the ball and they have a solid back up in Droughns.
Barber was a GREAT running back but a detriment to the moral of the team last year.he should of announced his retirement at the beginning of the year or after the year was done.Coughlin was was the one who showed him how to hold onto the ball,before that he was a good running back but a chronic fumbler.to many times last year it was about Tiki,questions about his retirement,how he though the team was outcoached,and now that he's done he's saying he was worked to hard in practice ::)

I always had a problem with Tiki calling out Tom. I know Coughlin is not well liked by his players, but like you said he was the one who helped Tiki progress into a fantastic back. It is not rocket science to cure fumblitus (carry the ball higher and tighter) but at least some gratitude should have been shown.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 10:22:30 AM »

I agree.  Jacobs is a beast.  Madden was calling a Giants game last year and said nobody wants to tackle that guy.   :)

Pete Dimano

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
that girl needs a choking.
!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »
I agree.  Jacobs is a beast.  Madden was calling a Giants game last year and said nobody wants to tackle that guy.   :)

Yeah I have been thinking about picking Jacobs up in the draft I am just hoping that I can get him late 2nd round...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Yeah I have been thinking about picking Jacobs up in the draft I am just hoping that I can get him late 2nd round...

He should be available in the second in a 12 team league.  I haven't even thought about my rankings yet, but I'd take him in the second too. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
That stupid whore doesn't deserve shit.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »
That stupid whore doesn't deserve shit.

I am getting so sick of hearing how these spoiled girls who have never done a damn thing other then take the free ride.. Saying that need so much money to stay living the life that they are accostumed too.. FUCK THAT.. Bitch should be happy she got to live like that for even a little bit of time.. If it wasn't for marring a celeb or athlete these bitches would be getting tossed up every week at the club just for a few drinks.. FUCKING WHORES!

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:01 PM »

major props for the first guy who posts a pic of jean's sister.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 03:33:49 PM »
Giant headache

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
August 2, 2007

NFL coaches have spent years trying to figure out how to stop Michael Strahan from recording another sack. Who knew the secret just might have been a curly haired suburban mother of twins?

Of course as Jean Strahan, the former Mrs. Michael Strahan, said in the divorce papers, the issue didn't begin with her but when her husband allegedly had relations, shall we say, outside the covenant of their marriage. And that's among other transgressions.

We'd leave this to the tabloids and gossip pages except the off-field life of the NFL's active sack leader might derail the New York Giants' season before it even begins.

Strahan hasn't shown up for Giants camp in Albany, N.Y. and there is little doubt he wants more money to play this season. Actually, he doesn't just want it, he darn well needs it.

Strahan may be set to make $4 million this year – although his daily $14,288 fine for missing camp is slowly cutting into that – but due to Jean Strahan's remarkable victory in divorce court earlier this year, that probably isn't enough.

Michael got taken to the cleaners to the tune of $15.3 million in the divorce (New York Daily News headline: "Wife: 15,000,000, Strahan: 0"). He also had to vacate the couple's 1906 Montclair, N.J. mansion, the one with the 22,000-square feet, 12 bedrooms, seven baths and a garage big enough for 20 cars.

And then there is the nearly $18,000 per month in child support, which will go on long after Strahan, 35, can no longer earn NFL millions. He also was ordered to pay $311,000 in back child support. Plus he owes 91 percent of his kids' private school tuition, payments that won't end until they get out of college in about 2026.

The ruling was even more than Jean actually sought for the less than six years of marriage. The judge wound up giving up more than half of Michael's estimated $22 million of net worth.

Here's the amazing part: they actually had a pre-nuptial agreement. That thing was so bad that it was Michael, not Jean, who tried to get it invalidated. Of course, Michael appealed the ruling so Jean has yet to get much of anything, meaning she is trying to sell the mansion (for over $3 million) and even had a yard sale to hawk their belongings.

Regardless, Michael, after that soaking, is understandably looking for more cash in what may be his last season anyway. He's threatened retirement. The problem is he has no bargaining power here. The Giants would be idiots to renegotiate a deal with a guy who they know is in a financial situation that he virtually has to play this season.

"He is under contract and I think you all know what our position is on that," co-owner John Mara told reporters Wednesday, day six of Strahan's holdout.

Four million may not be enough, but it's more than he's making doing anything else. And understand that once Strahan is done playing, he's going to have to find himself a j-o-b.

No, Strahan isn't going hungry. He still, according to court documents, has over $6 million in net worth. For the sake of argument, if that was all liquid he could invest it – even at the corner bank – and get a decent return of four percent annually. That's around $240,000 in year one. This, needless to say, is a figure 90-something percent of Americans would gladly accept as an annual salary.

Except Strahan lives like less than one percent of America, his burn rate in a given month is slightly higher than yours and mine (you don't have a 20-car garage if you just drive an Impala).

Financially, it doesn't seem possible for him to maintain his pre-divorce lifestyle after he retires. After all, he owes $214,745 annually in child support alone which is why the aforementioned conservative, set-for-life investment plan can't work.

Strahan has somewhat of a gregarious personality (he's like John Salley, people think he's funny even if he never actually is) so he's probably suited for some kind of TV work. But he isn't getting one of those monster deals with NBC, like the polished Tiki Barber.

Strahan's rep took a beating in the divorce. It was alleged he ditched his wife and twin 2-year-old daughters to jet off with his mistresses, one he supposedly called "Cupcake." Then there was the time, Jean alleged, he secretly videotaped her sister as she undressed only to later allegedly deposit $30,000 in her bank account.

And, maybe most damaging to female viewers, there was the rebuke by the judge for not remembering Jean's birthday or their wedding anniversary. Every man knows that's tough to overcome.

The Huxtables, this family wasn't. As a result of all the dirty laundry, he's probably looking at a gig with "The Best Damn Sports Show" which doesn't quite pay as well as he'd like.

At this point, control freak Tom Coughlin has to be beside himself, pacing around Albany cursing bad pre-nups, lamenting his pass rush and lecturing Eli Manning to stay single forever, or at least until Coughlin's tenure ends.

"I'm going to Disney World!" Jean Strahan laughed outside divorce court in January.

At this rate, she won't run into any Giants down there after the Super Bowl.

:o    Ouch! I was hurting just reading that story.
My goodness! I'm sure there's got to be a way for him to have those payment amounts lowered.
I'm sure after he retires he can file to have the amounts reduced.

Do you even have clue who Michael Strahan is? Or know anything at all about the NY Giants? He is almost 36 years old and has had trouble staying on the field the last three years. He sure ain't gonna make or break the Giants season. Tiki Barber is another story. He left a huge hole in the offense.
The House that Ruth built

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 08:51:55 PM »
that is terrible.  taking more than half his wealth after he takes a beating in the NFL for a decade - reducing his lifespan significantly.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
that is terrible.  taking more than half his wealth after he takes a beating in the NFL for a decade - reducing his lifespan significantly.

You know, I feel bad for anybody that gets taken to the cleaners like that, but he actually promised her all of these things. This was a huge story in New York and every sports radio host made fun of him for being so stupid. He  promised her something like more than half of everything he had if they ever got divorced  plus future earnings plus child support.

Then he was dumb enough to cheat.

I really hate to see someone lose their security blanket like that, especially after the way she dragged his name through the mud, but I don't think there'll be too much basis to have any of the settlement reduced.

I can't imagine his lawyer didn't try to warn him that this was the dumbest pre nup in the history of the universe. If not, he should be disbarred.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 06:59:34 PM »
guy stood next to me in the bmw dealer i work at.i said jacobs is gonna be good,he said he better he's all they got.seemed cool very softspoken.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »
I am getting so sick of hearing how these spoiled girls who have never done a damn thing other then take the free ride.. Saying that need so much money to stay living the life that they are accostumed too.. FUCK THAT.. Bitch should be happy she got to live like that for even a little bit of time.. If it wasn't for marring a celeb or athlete these bitches would be getting tossed up every week at the club just for a few drinks.. FUCKING WHORES!

I agree. What a crock of shit.

However, let me say this:

Fellas, the best thing you can do, is not to get married in the first place. Let's face it, it's all set up for the women anyways. Why is it these women want it all, when THEY did not earn it. Fair is fair, and yes, they should get something. But in this case, Strahan was the one risking his ass hitting and being hit on the filed, not that greedy bitch. So he cheated......get over it, you married the fucker. Next time pick a better man, and not one that's "famous", and could get ANY pussy at will.
HAHA, RON.....

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »
You know, I feel bad for anybody that gets taken to the cleaners like that, but he actually promised her all of these things. This was a huge story in New York and every sports radio host made fun of him for being so stupid. He  promised her something like more than half of everything he had if they ever got divorced  plus future earnings plus child support.

Then he was dumb enough to cheat.

I really hate to see someone lose their security blanket like that, especially after the way she dragged his name through the mud, but I don't think there'll be too much basis to have any of the settlement reduced.

I can't imagine his lawyer didn't try to warn him that this was the dumbest pre nup in the history of the universe. If not, he should be disbarred.

Are you serious? What a dumbfuck. I always thought Strahan looked to be a bit "slow", now it's been confirmed...... :-\
HAHA, RON.....