Author Topic: The Highwaymen  (Read 1194 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
The Highwaymen
« on: August 03, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »
keep in mind that no privatization of government on this level would be possible without a massive failure of government in this area...  The people simply would not go for it otherwise...  Knowing what we know about the nature of our current corportate-political symbiosis in government, I am left to wonder how accidental it is that we find ourselves with a failing infrastructure...  In my opinion, we're not in this place today without certain people in the corporate government wanting us in this spot

The Highwaymen
Why you could soon be paying Wall Street investors, Australian bankers, and Spanish builders for the privilege of driving on American roads.

Daniel Schulman with James Ridgeway
January/February 2007 Issue

"the road is one succession of dust, ruts, pits, and holes." So wrote Dwight D. Eisenhower, then a young lieutenant colonel, in November 1919, after heading out on a cross-country trip with a convoy of Army vehicles in order to test the viability of the nation's highways in case of a military emergency. To this description of one major road across the west, Eisenhower added reports of impassable mud, unstable sand, and wooden bridges that cracked beneath the weight of the trucks. In Illinois, the convoy "started on dirt roads, and practically no more pavement was encountered until reaching California."

It took 62 days for the trucks to make the trip from Washington, D.C., to San Francisco, and another 37 years for Ike to complete a quest, inspired by this youthful journey and by his World War II observations of Germany's autobahns, to build a national road system for the United States. In 1956, President Eisenhower signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act, which called for the federal and state governments to build 41,000 miles of high-quality roads across the nation, over rivers and gorges, swamps and deserts, over and through vast mountain ranges, in what would later be called the "greatest public works project in human history." So vital to the public interest did Eisenhower, an old-style fiscal conservative, consider the interstate highway system, he even authorized the federal government to assume 90 percent of the massive cost.

cont.... http://www.motherjones.com/cgi-bin/print_article.pl?url=http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/01/highwaymen.html

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: The Highwaymen
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »

Man, I thought this thread was going to be about Johnny, Waylon, willie and Kris.  >:(

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »
Noam wrote a book about failed states and says were heading to be one.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »

Man, I thought this thread was going to be about Johnny, Waylon, willie and Kris.  >:(
It is.... Would Johnny, Waylon or Willie take the pay road, or hit the open highway ;)

AWHHh... ZSNAP!!!!...

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »
well, good for noam. i'm sure he made a lot of money from it.

damn linguists think they know everything.  >:(

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 11:55:58 AM »
well, good for noam. i'm sure he made a lot of money from it.

damn linguists think they know everything.  >:(

they also think they know how to say everything.   ;D

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
It is.... Would Johnny, Waylon or Willie take the pay road, or hit the open highway ;)

very nice.  ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
very nice.  ;D
I actually had to pat myself on the back for that one ;D

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 11:58:35 AM »

all states fail. our empire is w/in our borders for the most part though . . . one of the largest tax bases in the world.  

and we've been at war pretty much continuously since WWII . . . it's going to be hard for any other nation to match our battle-testedness.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:01:40 PM »
all states fail. our empire is w/in our borders for the most part though . . . one of the largest tax bases in the world. 

and we've been at war pretty much continuously since WWII . . . it's going to be hard for any other nation to match our battle-testedness.

We haven't been in a real war since ww2.   All those others are just skirmishes.   When we go on ration cards and mandatory draft and thousands die everyday or like we have 80,000 casualties in one battle then we are at war.

but you do have a point:  it's going to be hard for any other nation to match our battle-testedness  (but it's more like our battle ability)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »
Not to sway from the topic of war :P  I'd just like to mention that in this area, I'm as disgusted with the dems as the republicans...  This is obvious and disgusting...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »
Not to sway from the topic of war :P  I'd just like to mention that in this area, I'm as disgusted with the dems as the republicans...  This is obvious and disgusting...

that's not hard to do.   Just look at our presidential candidates.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 06:41:32 AM »

The Highwaymen
Why you could soon be paying Wall Street investors, Australian bankers, and Spanish builders for the privilege of driving on American roads.

Many of you who drive between Connecticut & NY are used to toll roads, but for those of you who aren't, ...it's a pain in the tush. They built a huge toll hwy up here...Hwy 407. It was a huge highway that stretches across the north end of Toronto. It was supposed to relieve traffic congestion on Hwy 401... which it did do when it was first built. they allowed people to drive it for free for the first 6 months. It really speeded up getting across the city, and Hwy 401 drivers couldn't believe how much time was cut off their commute since less cars were on it. They let people drive it for free for 6 months, ...but the day they started charging, ...nobody wanted to pay to drive on the 407, so the 407 was pretty much empty while it was bumper to bumper and congestion on hwy 401. They spent a whole lot of tax payer money to build the highway, ...then they promptly turned around and sold the thing to a Spanish consortium. How's that for highway robbery? We built it, ...and now we have to pay to use it. If anything, Ontario residents should use it for free, and out-of-province users should have to pay, ...but they can't enforce out-of-province plates, so they come after Ontario drivers, because they can be gotten to.

Unlike the toll roads in the north east where you have to slow down and drop a quarter in etc., these use electronic transponders that recognize where you enter, and where you exit. For those without electronic transponders in their vehicles, the hwy takes pictures of your vehicles license plates, ...then they send you a bill in the mail. Only Ontario residents are required to pay the tolls. Isn't that a _itch. What's worse is... these guys can never get their records straight. People pay the bills, but they have no record of it, so they keep hounding & harrassing you, and in some cases ruining people's credit, and having their licenses suspended. Even when people pay the 407 tolls through electronic banking and can produce receipts, they still can't seem to mark the bills paid, so they keep harassing and demanding more more money. There have been some people who have even gone so far as to alter their license plates with tape, so that the letter 'F' looks like an 'E' before getting on the highway. There was one poor woman that kept getting huge Hwy 407 bills in the mail even though she had never driven it. Even though photos show the vehicle that drove the route was in fact a pickup truck, ...and she drove a little honda, ...they still kept harassing her for payment.

And God forbid you inherit the phone number of someone with a delinquent 407 bill, The company uses automatic phone dialers that will harass you daily filling up your voicemail until you are unable to recieve any messages at all, ...and trying to inform them that the person they are looking for is not at this phone number is futile.

There have been so many court decisions against them and their methods it's not even funny. The latest ruling I just heard on friday, required them to refund Ontario drivers across the board for years of over charges. Most people simply just pay the charges because it's easier to give them the money and end the harassment than to try to sort out the issue. Over time, ...that adds up to millions and millions of dollars. It's real highway robbery at it's finest.
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 04:36:42 PM »
Noam is an anti American dirt bag..ok anyway good article Berserk. This is what the Federal governmnet is supposed to do. This is classic Federal government. Build a nation wide road system. Thats what the founding fathers had in mind. Not dictating and regulating very little thing. Not taxes us to death to pay for handouts for idiots. Not taking our guns.....perfect example.
L