Author Topic: Good and faithful Mormon wins 'American Inventor'  (Read 1336 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Good and faithful Mormon wins 'American Inventor'
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »

The wife comes in to notify me of his win and her first words after that are, "See what happens when you pay your tithing?"

::)

Congrats to Greg, though - he totally deserved it and I couldn't be happier for him and his family.  It's always nice to see good things happen to good people.  What's weird, though, is seeing someone you know win a million bucks on national television. LOL

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Good and faithful Mormon wins 'American Inventor'
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 06:19:13 PM »
The wife comes in to notify me of his win and her first words after that are, "See what happens when you pay your tithing?"

Congrats to Greg, though - he totally deserved it and I couldn't be happier for him and his family.  It's always nice to see good things happen to good people.  What's weird, though, is seeing someone you know win a million bucks on national television. LOL

Your wife is right.   :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »

what did he invent?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:32:09 PM »
what did he invent?

He invented a product he's calling 'Guardian Angel', an angel-shaped device that sits atop a Christmas tree and is designed to sound an alarm and extinguish the flames in the event of a tree fire.  The angel has a hose that leads to a canister of water disguised as a Christmas present. 

The moment I saw the sketch, I knew he was going to win. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:34:45 PM »
Your wife is right.   :)

Absolutely not. 

Greg is a firefighter, so it stands to reason that anything he'd invent would be related to his career or to something else in his life.  One officials get wind of his victory, I know the church will use this as a major PR platform for tithing, but the reality is that his inspiration to create and his persistence in his workshop have nothing to do with how much he pays to go to the temple.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 07:42:26 PM »
Absolutely not. 

Greg is a firefighter, so it stands to reason that anything he'd invent would be related to his career or to something else in his life.  One officials get wind of his victory, I know the church will use this as a major PR platform for tithing, but the reality is that his inspiration to create and his persistence in his workshop have nothing to do with how much he pays to go to the temple.

Do you pay tithe?  It works mang.  I don't pay tithe for any kind of reward, but rewards do come.     

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 01:06:08 AM »
Do you pay tithe?  It works mang.  I don't pay tithe for any kind of reward, but rewards do come.     

one might say that tithing necessitates some sort of fiscal responsibility in most people . . . which leads to greater wealth.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
one might say that tithing necessitates some sort of fiscal responsibility in most people . . . which leads to greater wealth.

Folks have to do what works for them and that's certainly a reasonable position.

I do not give 10% of my combined income and time to charity, but I do donate a significant portion of what I bring in to a variety of causes and sponsorships, expecting nothing in return.  I'm not patting myself on the back or looking for a pat on the back, I'm just stating that I do give away a lot of my earnings even if it doesn't go to church.