Author Topic: Shoulder and traps training  (Read 25197 times)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Shoulder and traps training
« on: August 05, 2007, 12:39:33 PM »
If there is one body part that will improve your shape and proportions most it probally would be delts.  Nice well developed delts will bring out that X shape that we all want.  So don't be afraid to try and get these huge, especially the ladies.

I think the 2 best movements for delts are the seated DB overhead press and the one arm side lateral raise.  These 2 movements will put the size on in the right places!  Heavy is what I like for my presses and the side lats usually a more moderate weight for 10-15 reps not swinging.  Bad part about the DB presses is, when the weights get high it is hard to get the DB's into position.  Sometimes heavy DB can be almost dangerous as the potential for injury is high from just getting into position with the DB.

Will also do presses to the front seated in the smith machine and sometimes superset those with side lateral raises.  Some of the shoulder press machines are OK.  Not too fond of the Hammer Strength one though, hurts my shoulder joints.  I usually do just one pressing movement.  Best but most risky for me is the DB press.

I always thought and read that your front delts get plenty of work from other pressing moves you do like incline BB press.  But in my experience if you can target your chest well when training it, you can also do a good job of keeping your front delt out of it.  So I never really trained them hard and it was a mistake, they needed that training to grow and be big.  DB, BB and cable front raises are the exercises I use here.  If any of you guys know a cool front delt exercises then lets hear em  :)

Rear delts are machine and cables usually, sometimes DB for me.  Gotta have the big rear delts to look thick from the side so they should be hit mercilessly.  Must not go too heavy so you can squeeze these baby's for all they are worth, try and stay smooth and keep tension on them through the whole movement.  I like to try a heavy set or 2 and drop down just burning those delts up.  There is a Hammer rowing machine or Free Motion that does a high row and I will use this for rear delts too, keep your elbows high and pull with the rear delts.  Its nice cause you can pile some weight on there.

Overall I will do at least 5-6 working sets on the presses, 5-6 side raises and 4 sets each for front, rear.  Traps get about 8 sets.

Traps will be various shrugs on, machine, cable, DB.  I will see some people put TONS of weight on for these and if you look at their traps there is little size.  This is the funniest exercise to try and show off on, it is so easy and such a short ROM that anyone can do it.  I like 300-400lbs max here for the sets i try and grow on.  Or i will sometimes just squeeze them with 55lb DBs.

Well just glanced at the calander and my upcoming show is 12 weeks out.  This is gonna be fun  8)  except giving up my avacodo chesse burgers is gonna suck  :'(  And i will have to cut back from a jar of peaunut butter a day to one every 3-4 days....total BS!  :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Shoulder and traps training
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »
Thank you so much for starting this thread...I LOVE to train my shoulders.  They are probably my favorite body part to train...I love the pump you can get on your shoulders, and they burn like crazy!!

Ironically, I think that they are one of my weakest, and definitely an area where I need further development.  I want to put more CAP on my shoulders, to get a better X shape, just like you are talking about.

The other thing that bothers me about my shoulder workout is that as much as I like doing it, it has gotten rather stale. 
There are SO many variations of exercises for shoulders, yet I always seem to fall back on the same shoulder routine time and time again.  I need to add some new exercises, and I really need to focus on developing the front and the cap.

Here's my basic shoulder workout.  I am looking for any suggestions! 
I almost always use free weights for my shoulder workouts, and I have run into the same trouble with the Hammer Strength press machine (too much strain on my joints).

Three sets of everything...Four sets of the first exercise, including a lighter, high rep warmup set.
---Dumbell presses heavy!   (these are definitely hard with big weight...I always use a spotter to help me get them into position.)
---Dumbell lateral raises - I usually go heavier and bent arm for a few sets, and then lighter and straight arm for a few sets.  These always BURN, but for some reason, I never feel like this exercise is actually helping me put mass on my shoulders.  That could just be my imagination, but it's one of those exercises that I have been doing for years, and I always seem to use the same amount of weight.  I may have gone up 5 pounds or so over the last 5-7 years, but it doesn't seem like I am growing much or getting that much stronger.
---Dumbell front raises - I do these about every other shoulder workout.  I stopped doing them as much because I never felt like they were helping me grow my shoulders (this seems to be a recurring problem for me!  ;D). 
Sometimes I use a weighted body bar (like 15-18 pounds) for this exercise, standing with my back pressed up against a wall to prevent any swinging.
---Upright rows - with the E-Z curl bar.  I love this exercise!
---Reverse pec deck - I like this machine in reverse for the rear delt.  Sometimes I will do cables instead, but I really like the pec deck.
---About every other workout, I add three sets of dumbell shrugs to the end to hit my traps. 
I don't work my traps very much, as I tend to think that very large traps on a FBB reduces the femininity of the "package" a bit.  But I DO hit them, I just usually only do specific trap exercises every other workout. 
Sometimes, I will add some trap work into my back workout as well by using the super wide grip pull on seated cable rows. 
There is also a Hammer Strength low row machine that hits the traps pretty hard.

So my questions are...

HOW the HELL do you grow your shoulders?    Seriously!  Why do mine always burn like crazy but never grow much? 
Why does the amount of weight I use for shoulder exercises not change very much over time?  (with the exception of heavy DB presses, which I have gotten pretty strong on...)
Am I hitting all elements with the workout above?  And how can I vary my shoulder workout?

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »
Yeah I love that pump where you can't even support your own arms  :'(  They just ache!! 

Well it sounds like you have answered your own question, if your routine is stale then its time for a change.  Even just switching the order of the same exercises around will make a big difference.  Do you do any barbell presses rip? Maybe in the smith machine?  Are you going down far enough in your DB presses?

I have never gone too heavy in lateral raises and don't feel you need to.  10-12 reps and I like to do them most one arm at a time.  Cable laterals are good too.  I try to move the weight thinking about my elbow as the point im pushing from.  If there is one thing i have learned in the last few years that is keep my mind on muscles and my muscles on my mind  ;D LOL  But its true there have been times fail on rep 9 of a halfass set.  Then I think about and get pissed cause I know I was not pushing hard enough so the next set I get in the zone and slam out 12 reps with more weight!!  Your mind is very strong.  I usually have a minimum amount of reps I want to hit and just dont stop till I get them.

Front raises don't seem to do much for me either, although the cable front raises sure does pump em up  :)

Your routine looks solid maybe another pressing movement??  Some workouts you could do DB presses and BB presses in the same work out to shock em.  Or start with laterals one time and press last, keeping it fresh  8)

I haven't decided on upright rows.  I used to do them when I first started training, but in many years have not done them.  They hurt my shoulder, elbow and wrist now a days  :(.....hey wait a minute "what does not hurt?" LOL  Although they might be a good front delt move for me.

I agree I never was crazy about overpowering traps on a guy or a girl.  But remember the traps are very visible in your back poses and they go down your back further than most people think!  Think about them popping out in your rear double bicep  :-*

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:12:33 AM »
Yeah I love that pump where you can't even support your own arms  :'(  They just ache!! 

Well it sounds like you have answered your own question, if your routine is stale then its time for a change.  Even just switching the order of the same exercises around will make a big difference.  Do you do any barbell presses rip? Maybe in the smith machine?  Are you going down far enough in your DB presses?

I have never gone too heavy in lateral raises and don't feel you need to.  10-12 reps and I like to do them most one arm at a time.  Cable laterals are good too.  I try to move the weight thinking about my elbow as the point im pushing from.  If there is one thing i have learned in the last few years that is keep my mind on muscles and my muscles on my mind  ;D LOL  But its true there have been times fail on rep 9 of a halfass set.  Then I think about and get pissed cause I know I was not pushing hard enough so the next set I get in the zone and slam out 12 reps with more weight!!  Your mind is very strong.  I usually have a minimum amount of reps I want to hit and just dont stop till I get them.

Front raises don't seem to do much for me either, although the cable front raises sure does pump em up  :)

Your routine looks solid maybe another pressing movement??  Some workouts you could do DB presses and BB presses in the same work out to shock em.  Or start with laterals one time and press last, keeping it fresh  8)

I haven't decided on upright rows.  I used to do them when I first started training, but in many years have not done them.  They hurt my shoulder, elbow and wrist now a days  :(.....hey wait a minute "what does not hurt?" LOL  Although they might be a good front delt move for me.

I agree I never was crazy about overpowering traps on a guy or a girl.  But remember the traps are very visible in your back poses and they go down your back further than most people think!  Think about them popping out in your rear double bicep  :-*

Mind/muscle control is an important element of training.  Blockhead and I were actually discussing this issue when we got together in Chicago for some training. 

Re. the upright rows, my husband has the same problem with wrists and elbows.  We find that doing them with the EZ curl bar is a little better on the joints, as the wrist position is more comfortable b/c your hands are angled instead of straight.  Another way to do these with less stress on the joints is with cables and the rope....the hand position is a little different than with a bar or dumbells.

I hardly ever barbell press because I am kinda scared of hurting myself with this exercise...I use dumbells, and I go down to about my ears with them.  I think the barbell hits the front of the shoulder more than dumbells, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I should probably get into the habit of alternating dumbells and barbells in my routine, or like you said, do both.  I think that I will try to reverse the routine and hit presses last, just to shake things up a bit.

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »
Rip, if you are concerned about doing a barbell press, why not try the Smith machine?  I recently began incorporating a behind the head shoulder press on the Smith machine (don't think i would try this one with a free bar), and have definitely seen some improvements in my shoulder size....and thats on a contest prep diet.  Other than that, I pretty much stick to some combination of all the above mentioned exercises.  My shoulders tend to get very lean, but I am still trying to work on improving the "cap" appearance, so anyone out there with suggestions would be appreciated :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:44:38 AM »
Rip, if you are concerned about doing a barbell press, why not try the Smith machine?  I recently began incorporating a behind the head shoulder press on the Smith machine (don't think i would try this one with a free bar), and have definitely seen some improvements in my shoulder size....and thats on a contest prep diet.  Other than that, I pretty much stick to some combination of all the above mentioned exercises.  My shoulders tend to get very lean, but I am still trying to work on improving the "cap" appearance, so anyone out there with suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks, I'll definitely work on the Smith machine for some variety. 
I have always stayed away from behind the head shoulder presses, even on the Smith, as I have been warned about injury....although I am sure the risk is much lower when using the Smith. 
Why do you go behind the head instead of in front?  Can you tell a difference in terms of the part of your shoulder it works? 
I've used the Smith before in front, and I notice that it hits the fronts of the shoulders (and perhaps some chest) pretty hard...does behind the head hit your rear delt more?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »

;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 05:53:08 PM »

Mind/muscle control is an important element of training.  Blockhead and I were actually discussing this issue when we got together in Chicago for some training. 

Re. the upright rows, my husband has the same problem with wrists and elbows.  We find that doing them with the EZ curl bar is a little better on the joints, as the wrist position is more comfortable b/c your hands are angled instead of straight.  Another way to do these with less stress on the joints is with cables and the rope....the hand position is a little different than with a bar or dumbells.

I hardly ever barbell press because I am kinda scared of hurting myself with this exercise...I use dumbells, and I go down to about my ears with them.  I think the barbell hits the front of the shoulder more than dumbells, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I should probably get into the habit of alternating dumbells and barbells in my routine, or like you said, do both.  I think that I will try to reverse the routine and hit presses last, just to shake things up a bit.

Yes I have not done the barbell press in years, except on the smith cause i agree the risk of hurting yourself on these is too high, smith machine while not as good as free weights IMO is safer and will let you push against some big weights.  I still incline press with BB for chest half the time but will use the smith on occasion for safety.  One thing is for sure the smith machine is a machine and is not as hard as free weights, but still there is a place for it in your rotation.  If used right this machine can overload your muscles.  But if you always use it...you will suffer.

;D

Love the pic of the rear dbl bicep  ;D is that you Ripitup?  loving the whole thing head to....  ;)  My, my...

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »
Yes I have not done the barbell press in years, except on the smith cause i agree the risk of hurting yourself on these is too high, smith machine while not as good as free weights IMO is safer and will let you push against some big weights.  I still incline press with BB for chest half the time but will use the smith on occasion for safety.  One thing is for sure the smith machine is a machine and is not as hard as free weights, but still there is a place for it in your rotation.  If used right this machine can overload your muscles.  But if you always use it...you will suffer.

Love the pic of the rear dbl bicep  ;D is that you Ripitup?  loving the whole thing head to....  ;)  My, my...

Yep, that was me, right after Junior Nats.   :)

So I did a shoulder workout yesterday.  Due to my slacking for the last month, I hadn't done a shoulder workout in at least a couple of weeks.  And my numbers are still down from my offseason numbers last year.  But here's what I did:

Dumbell Presses - 25 x 20 warmup, 45 x 11, 45 x 9, 50 x 7
Dumbell Lateral Raises - straight arms, 12 pounds, 4 sets.  Two were supersets with 5 pound dumbells on the rears.
Front Raises - two supersets, 12 pound dumbell alternating, 15 pound bodybar with back against the wall
Upright Rows - 2 sets Ez bar plus 30 for 15, 2 sets ez bar plus 35 for 12
Shrugs - 3 sets with 45 pound plates
Reverse Pec deck - 3 sets

I feel like my weight should be up on most of the exercises, esp the fronts and sides.  I've been using that weight forever it seems.

But I am sore!!    :P

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 06:50:35 PM »

Yep, that was me, right after Junior Nats.   :)

So I did a shoulder workout yesterday.  Due to my slacking for the last month, I hadn't done a shoulder workout in at least a couple of weeks.  And my numbers are still down from my offseason numbers last year.  But here's what I did:

Dumbell Presses - 25 x 20 warmup, 45 x 11, 45 x 9, 50 x 7
Dumbell Lateral Raises - straight arms, 12 pounds, 4 sets.  Two were supersets with 5 pound dumbells on the rears.
Front Raises - two supersets, 12 pound dumbell alternating, 15 pound bodybar with back against the wall
Upright Rows - 2 sets Ez bar plus 30 for 15, 2 sets ez bar plus 35 for 12
Shrugs - 3 sets with 45 pound plates
Reverse Pec deck - 3 sets

I feel like my weight should be up on most of the exercises, esp the fronts and sides.  I've been using that weight forever it seems.

But I am sore!!    :P

I think you CAN use more weight on those exercises, if you want to.  Say goodbye to the comfort zone  :D

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 08:24:38 PM »
I have pretty flexible shoulders, so I really have no issue with going behind the neck.  When I trained shoulders with my boyfriend and he tried them, his range of motion was much more limited than mine mostly due to his muscle size and lack of flexibility.  I think if you take some time to warm up and start out light with the  exercise to make sure everything feels ok, you should be fine.  I felt that when I was doing regular barbell press, I was hitting only the front portion of the shoulder and  some chest, which is ok, but not really where i need the work (and I do a lot of incline pressing for chest which hits this area as well).  Going behind the head (to me ) just feels like it works more of the whole shoulder...front, top and back.  It may just be me, as everyone reacts differently to different exercises, but I have found it to be more effective than other variations of the press.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
I think you CAN use more weight on those exercises, if you want to.  Say goodbye to the comfort zone  :D

I think you are right.  I used 12's instead of 15's b/c I was supersetting, but STILL...I need to get those numbers up!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »

I think you are right.  I used 12's instead of 15's b/c I was supersetting, but STILL...I need to get those numbers up!

That a girl!!  Thats what i wanna hear  :D

You don't always superset do you?  and if you do alternate in days where you do straight sets and think about moving more weight on those days.

Another thing for you Rip, you very obviously have been doing the right things....just look at ya!  :)  Im just throwing some ideas out there and maybe giving a little push here and there  ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 10:54:35 AM »
That a girl!!  Thats what i wanna hear  :D

You don't always superset do you?  and if you do alternate in days where you do straight sets and think about moving more weight on those days.

Another thing for you Rip, you very obviously have been doing the right things....just look at ya!  :)  Im just throwing some ideas out there and maybe giving a little push here and there  ;)

I NEED the push, especially right now during my slack season...thank you!   :-*

I have gotten into the habit of doing a lot of supersets since my contest prep.  I haven't really gotten into my off-season yet, so I am definitely in that comfort zone you mentioned right now.

My offseason will officially start in early October...my plan is to try to get my numbers up a little before my off-season without gaining any more weight, and then really hit it hard this off-season - with fewer supersets and MUCH heavier weight!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »
gotta leave those db's alone for presses and hit the barbell, it's the only way, shoulder pressing your bodyweight seated for reps should be a goal.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:29:52 PM »
If I may make a suggestion. Both barbell and dumbell presses put tremendous vertical pressure on the vertebrae. By doing them on a slightly inclined bench you can decompose some of that pressure and save your back.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 04:19:39 AM »
If I may make a suggestion. Both barbell and dumbell presses put tremendous vertical pressure on the vertebrae. By doing them on a slightly inclined bench you can decompose some of that pressure and save your back.

Good tip!  That is how i do them both, on a fullsize bench with the back on the first hole back from 90 degrees.

gotta leave those db's alone for presses and hit the barbell, it's the only way, shoulder pressing your bodyweight seated for reps should be a goal.

The DB's are still the best IMO, but agree the BB must also be used at times.  You can push more weight with the BB.  Sounds like Ripitup is getting pretty close to her BW on the DB presses.  I would like to see her handling 60lb DB overhead press and 20 lb side laterals in the near future.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 06:56:41 AM »
The problem with the barbells is that unless you use the Smith Machine (which I don't love), all of the set-ups use a bench set at a 90 degree angle.  I guess I'd be better off using the Smith with a slight incline on the bench.
I haven't done BB presses in quite a while (like several months), but the last time I did, I think I did 105 pretty comfortably for sets (30 on each side).  I'll have to see if I can get up to my body weight.  That would require 45's on each side, which would be pretty damn impressive.  I can bench press significantly more than my body weight, so I should be able to get my shoulder presses up there.

I think that I was dumbell pressing the 55's at least, maybe the 60's, last year for heavy sets during my off-season last year.  Unfortunately, to get up to body weight during the off-season, I'd need to be pressing the 65's or maybe even the 70's.   :-\
It's not out of the question...I like to go HEAVY when I am feeling strong...so I will keep you posted on my numbers this off-season.  I'd love to throw the 65's or 70's around...it intimidates the guys in the gym when I go for the big weights.   ;D

When I am not slacking off, I do use the 20's for lateral raises with BENT arms, but I can hardly do the 15's for sets when I do straight arms.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 07:05:20 AM »
that's good weight on shoulders Rip, for sure, what i do is slide an adjustable bench into the power rack and then set the bench at about an 80-85 degree incline and do the presses off the pin in the rack, i agree with you on the standard shoulder press bench you see in most gyms, they're too straight up and down plus i hate how you have to reach up and back to take the bar off, very awkward.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 09:06:22 AM »
The problem with the barbells is that unless you use the Smith Machine (which I don't love), all of the set-ups use a bench set at a 90 degree angle.  I guess I'd be better off using the Smith with a slight incline on the bench.
I haven't done BB presses in quite a while (like several months), but the last time I did, I think I did 105 pretty comfortably for sets (30 on each side).  I'll have to see if I can get up to my body weight.  That would require 45's on each side, which would be pretty damn impressive.  I can bench press significantly more than my body weight, so I should be able to get my shoulder presses up there.

I think that I was dumbell pressing the 55's at least, maybe the 60's, last year for heavy sets during my off-season last year.  Unfortunately, to get up to body weight during the off-season, I'd need to be pressing the 65's or maybe even the 70's.   :-\
It's not out of the question...I like to go HEAVY when I am feeling strong...so I will keep you posted on my numbers this off-season.  I'd love to throw the 65's or 70's around...it intimidates the guys in the gym when I go for the big weights.   ;D

When I am not slacking off, I do use the 20's for lateral raises with BENT arms, but I can hardly do the 15's for sets when I do straight arms.

You are strong as im sure you body weight is probally around 120?  Yeah nothing cooler than when a woman comes in and pushes some big weights around, I love it when I see them use more than lots of the guys  ;D  That's the coolest. 

I dont know what it is about you guys but its very appealing to me....oh thats right I know what it is  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
that's good weight on shoulders Rip, for sure, what i do is slide an adjustable bench into the power rack and then set the bench at about an 80-85 degree incline and do the presses off the pin in the rack, i agree with you on the standard shoulder press bench you see in most gyms, they're too straight up and down plus i hate how you have to reach up and back to take the bar off, very awkward.

Yeah I would definitely use a spotter for any barbell work I do.  You could really hurt your rotator cuff reaching back like that.
I use a spotter for my dumbell presses anyway.  I injured my back real bad a few years ago, and the final straw that sent me to the hospital was trying to heave up the heavy dumbells from my knees on incline presses.

You are strong as im sure you body weight is probally around 120?  Yeah nothing cooler than when a woman comes in and pushes some big weights around, I love it when I see them use more than lots of the guys  ;D  That's the coolest. 

I dont know what it is about you guys but its very appealing to me....oh thats right I know what it is  :)

ERRrrrmmmmm yeah....120 sounds good to me!!   ;)
I peaked last off-season at 143... ;D...I'm not there yet now, though, and I am kind of hoping not to get that big this year unless it's ALL quality size, but I doubt it.  I am definitely closer to 130 than 120 right now for sure, but I haven't stepped on a scale in about a month, and I have no plans to in the immediate future. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 05:17:42 AM »
Yeah I would definitely use a spotter for any barbell work I do.  You could really hurt your rotator cuff reaching back like that.
I use a spotter for my dumbell presses anyway.  I injured my back real bad a few years ago, and the final straw that sent me to the hospital was trying to heave up the heavy dumbells from my knees on incline presses.

ERRrrrmmmmm yeah....120 sounds good to me!!   ;)
I peaked last off-season at 143... ;D...I'm not there yet now, though, and I am kind of hoping not to get that big this year unless it's ALL quality size, but I doubt it.  I am definitely closer to 130 than 120 right now for sure, but I haven't stepped on a scale in about a month, and I have no plans to in the immediate future. 

When i first started training i used to do the BB presses in the power rack like squad says, even used to go behind the head then :-\  Currently I use the smith machine for them mainly cause it is safer.  I usually train alone so the smith comes in real handy.  Whats nice about it is it gives you the confidence to use big weights and just concentrate on pushing with the delts as much as you can.  its nice cause it frees your mind to just think about the muscle being worked.

Thats so true about kicking up the big DB's and thats the point I was making when I said the potential for injury on that excersise is high.  I have totaly injured my back before kicking up heavy DB's for the shoulder press.  I have only seen them once but they make hooks that wrap around a bar that will hold the DB's in a starting position for you, so you dont have to kick them up, but you still gotta place the DB's into the hooks which can be a feat in itself when the bells start to get big.  You can use the hooks for chest also.

http://www.fitstep.com/fitness-equipment-reviews/equipment-reviews/power-hooks-review.htm

Gonna go train shoulders this morning and am looking forward to that!!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 02:46:09 PM »
When i first started training i used to do the BB presses in the power rack like squad says, even used to go behind the head then :-\  Currently I use the smith machine for them mainly cause it is safer.  I usually train alone so the smith comes in real handy.  Whats nice about it is it gives you the confidence to use big weights and just concentrate on pushing with the delts as much as you can.  its nice cause it frees your mind to just think about the muscle being worked.

Thats so true about kicking up the big DB's and thats the point I was making when I said the potential for injury on that excersise is high.  I have totaly injured my back before kicking up heavy DB's for the shoulder press.  I have only seen them once but they make hooks that wrap around a bar that will hold the DB's in a starting position for you, so you dont have to kick them up, but you still gotta place the DB's into the hooks which can be a feat in itself when the bells start to get big.  You can use the hooks for chest also.

http://www.fitstep.com/fitness-equipment-reviews/equipment-reviews/power-hooks-review.htm

Gonna go train shoulders this morning and am looking forward to that!!

Those hooks look pretty damn cool. 

OK, I am getting re-motivated now (thanks for the push ;)), and I'm gonna hit the shoulders HARD this week.  I just did a leg workout that should cripple me for at least a couple of days, so I am ready to step it up with shoulders too.  I'll letcha know what my numbers look like.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 04:19:09 PM »

Those hooks look pretty damn cool. 

OK, I am getting re-motivated now (thanks for the push ;)), and I'm gonna hit the shoulders HARD this week.  I just did a leg workout that should cripple me for at least a couple of days, so I am ready to step it up with shoulders too.  I'll letcha know what my numbers look like.   8)

Your welcome ripitupbaaaby  :)  Look forward to hearing how things go! 

I pushed them hard myself heavy smith presses 6 sets, one arm DB side laterals up to 35lbs 5 sets, reverse pec deck 5 sets, front raises with barbel seated on declice bech 4 sets, high rear delt rows free motion 3 sets.  Traps 8 sets shrugs machine and DB

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 07:08:25 AM »

I pushed them hard myself heavy smith presses 6 sets, one arm DB side laterals up to 35lbs 5 sets, reverse pec deck 5 sets, front raises with barbel seated on declice bech 4 sets, high rear delt rows free motion 3 sets.  Traps 8 sets shrugs machine and DB

Sweet.   8)

A couple of questions:

(1.)  If I am going to go heavy on the lateral raises, like sets of 8-10, would I be better of going bent arm with 20 or maybe even 25 pounds, or straight arm with 12 or maybe 15 pounds?  Do you think there is much difference between bent and straight arm raises?

(2.)  When are we going to see more pics of your delts and traps?    ;D