Author Topic: Who was your sports heroes growing up???  (Read 13499 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Who was your sports heroes growing up???
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 09:05:56 AM »
26.... How old are you guts? What about everyone else.

E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
Of course you don't think much of my opinion-i owned your lame ass in the NFL last year bwhaahahahaahahahaha

I don't squat because i already have the size you idiot. The size will always be there just by doing cardio i still look like a BB unlike Bum (clearly only a fanboy not a BB) or this other guy. Keep digging yourself holes with extremely poor judgement this was the genius who said over and over again the Colts couldn't win the superbowl LOL

I don't think much of your opinion, because you typically talk out of your rear end and you are an arrogant jerk.  Like the time you called Tiger Woods erratic and overrated.  Bmacys could probably list a number of other gems. 

I said you don't know squat.  lol.  I wasn't talking about exercising.  Maybe that Bowflex has you confused. 

I predicted the Colts would win the Super Bowl for about the last three years running.  I changed my mind when they started giving up an average of 170 yards a game on the ground during last season (in some cases more than 200); dead last in the NFL.  What I said was there was no way they could win the Super Bowl if they couldn't stop the run.  They subsequently greatly improved their run D in the playoffs.  They did not give up 170+ on the ground in the playoffs.  I don't think anyone saw that coming. 

And unlike you, I actually watch the game.     

Have you ever played football?  Flag football doesn’t count. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 11:02:35 AM »
I agree.  Half the time all he had to do was fall down and he'd gain five yards.  It's incredible that Barry ran for so many yards with such poor teams.  Part of that time he had no fullback and/or no TE.

Emmitt was a class act on the field and an excellent RB, but he sure had a lot of help. 
I agree.  I wouldn't have Emmitt in my top 5.
In no particular order:  Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, OJ, and Earl Campbell.  Just my choices.  No statistical backing here.  I'm counting completed careers so no LT.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
I agree.  I wouldn't have Emmitt in my top 5.
In no particular order:  Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, OJ, and Earl Campbell.  Just my choices.  No statistical backing here.  I'm counting completed careers so no LT.

Good list.  I haven't really thought about a top five, but mine would probably be:

Barry
Bo Jackson
Walter
Jim Brown
LT

If we're only talking retired players, I'd sub Dickerson or Marcus Allen in place of LT.  I don't look at career numbers as the only factor.  I look at who I'd want to line up with if the game was this Sunday.  I'd put Bo at FB and Barry at TB. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 11:15:03 AM »
Good list.  I haven't really thought about a top five, but mine would probably be:

Barry
Bo Jackson
Walter
Jim Brown
LT

If we're only talking retired players, I'd sub Dickerson or Marcus Allen in place of LT.  I don't look at career numbers as the only factor.  I look at who I'd want to line up with if the game was this Sunday.  I'd put Bo at FB and Barry at TB. 

I like your choices.  There's no way to keep LT out of the line up that's why I finessed the category.

Ever since I saw Earl run up the front of Tim Foley and down his back, I was a fan.  Foley had to be mopped off the field.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2007, 11:17:29 AM »
I like your choices.  There's no way to keep LT out of the line up that's why I finessed the category.

Ever since I saw Earl run up the front of Tim Foley and down his back, I was a fan.  Foley had to be mopped off the field.

Earl was an absolute beast.  They don't make them like him anymore.   

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2007, 02:30:26 PM »

Barry
Bo Jackson
Walter
Jim Brown
LT

Good list, and if you ever played the original Tecmo Bowl you know exactly how dominant LT was. :) Edit: You may have been talking about Ladainian and not Lawrence Taylor, either way, good list as I think Ladainian is in a league of his own among current backs. Yeah, you were talking about RB's, I got ahead of myself.
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2007, 03:10:38 PM »
Good list, and if you ever played the original Tecmo Bowl you know exactly how dominant LT was. :) Edit: You may have been talking about Ladainian and not Lawrence Taylor, either way, good list as I think Ladainian is in a league of his own among current backs. Yeah, you were talking about RB's, I got ahead of myself.

Yeah I was talking about Tomlinson, but Lawrence Taylor was a stud too.  I lost a lot of study hours playing Tecmo and Super Tecmo Bowl in college.  :)  I was addicted to that game.  Bo Jackson was unstoppable.  I graduated to Madden and routinely beat up on my kids.  No mercy.  :) 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »

Barry
Bo Jackson
Walter
Jim Brown
LT

The list of a data-nerd. Barry had too many drawbacks to be anywhere near those other guys but since Bum's a numbers guy and tends to as they say "fall in love" with his heros based mainly on stats, he's oblivious. 8)

Watch as i demolish Bum's claim with the following Barry Sanders post-season "excellence" LOL the true superstars including Emmitt stepped up in the playoffs, Barry had 5 of 6 games under 70 yards bwahahaahahahahahah

Postseason data
Please read this fine print before using this data or sending questions or corrections.

Year  Opp   Result  |  RSH    YD  TD  |  REC    YD  TD
---------------------+-----------------+-----------------
 1991  dal  W,38-6   |   12    69   1  |    5    30   0
 1991  was  L,10-41  |   11    44   0  |    4    15   0
 1993  gnb  L,24-28  |   27   169   0  |    2     0   0
 1994  gnb  L,12-16  |   13    -1   0  |    3     4   0
 1995  phi  L,37-58  |   10    40   0  |    2    19   0
 1997  tam  L,10-20  |   18    65   0  |    5    43   0
---------------------+-----------------+-----------------
TOTAL                |   91   386   1  |   21   111   0

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2007, 03:39:04 PM »
I don't think much of your opinion, because you typically talk out of your rear end and you are an arrogant jerk.  Like the time you called Tiger Woods erratic and overrated.  Bmacys could probably list a number of other gems. 

I said you don't know squat.  lol.  I wasn't talking about exercising.  Maybe that Bowflex has you confused. 

I predicted the Colts would win the Super Bowl for about the last three years running.  I changed my mind when they started giving up an average of 170 yards a game on the ground during last season (in some cases more than 200); dead last in the NFL.  What I said was there was no way they could win the Super Bowl if they couldn't stop the run.  They subsequently greatly improved their run D in the playoffs.  They did not give up 170+ on the ground in the playoffs.  I don't think anyone saw that coming. 

And unlike you, I actually watch the game.     

Have you ever played football?  Flag football doesn’t count. 

Complete, utter revionist back-peddling & denial that fools no one. Anyone can check your old threads; you can't escape it you arrogant twit. You were 100% wrong on the Colts for 3 consecutive years!I backed them only last year.

This genius always reverts to desperate name-calling shortly after melting down LOL

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »
Complete, utter revionist back-peddling & denial that fools no one. Anyone can check your old threads; you can't escape it you arrogant twit. You were 100% wrong on the Colts for 3 consecutive years!I backed them only last year.

This genius always reverts to desperate name-calling shortly after melting down LOL

lol.  Now I'm convinced that "pumpster" is a woman.  That would explain why he is infatuated with bmacys.  Posts his picture at least once a week.  She should go workout on that Bowflex and blow off some steam.  She'll feel better.

And leave it to "pumpster," aka Don King, to ruin a good thread.   ::)  Sorry jersey (and all).  I'll behave.     

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2007, 06:01:15 PM »
I liked that entire Detroit Tigers Team that had: Fielder, Trammel (sp), Tettleton(sp), Gibson..etc that used to hit all those damn HR's during the early 90's late 80's timeframe. I'm not even from detriot. Just liked that team for some odd reason.

Bump for the Tigers.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2007, 05:26:10 AM »
lol.  Now I'm convinced that "pumpster" is a woman.  That would explain why he is infatuated with bmacys.  Posts his picture at least once a week.  She should go workout on that Bowflex and blow off some steam.  She'll feel better.

And leave it to "pumpster," aka Don King, to ruin a good thread.   ::)  Sorry jersey (and all).  I'll behave.     

You may be right. Pumpster may very well be a woman whether he knows it or not. ;) What man uses the word "twit"? Not to mention a Bowflex?
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2007, 05:27:34 AM »

I was in 3rd grade in '79 and didn't know what the frick ESPN was. I didn't realize he was an asshole until I heard some stories about him from local people. He wasn't a very nice guy at all.

So you believe stories you hear 32nd hand over the guy sending you a signed baseball card? :P

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2007, 05:31:25 AM »
I agree.  Half the time all he had to do was fall down and he'd gain five yards.  It's incredible that Barry ran for so many yards with such poor teams.  Part of that time he had no fullback and/or no TE.

Emmitt was a class act on the field and an excellent RB, but he sure had a lot of help. 

Barry was in whole different class than Emmit. Barry should be mentioned with Payton, Bo Jackson, Dickerson, Sayers, OJ etc... Emmit was definitely not in that 1st tier of elite backs.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2007, 05:32:20 AM »
Someone with this physique on a BB site has absolutely no credibility, period.

hahah, you are the master of self ownage. :) By the way, you wrote the book on "no credibility" Everybody here knows it and  has stated it. You know it too. That is why you are always so defensive.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2007, 05:34:43 AM »
This illustrates Pumpster's knowledge about football- He said Cookie Gihlchrist was better than Jim Brown. He said Flutie was better than Montana and Elway and that the CFL was as good as the NFL. :o

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2007, 05:36:03 AM »
Earl was an absolute beast.  They don't make them like him anymore.   

Campbell ran through guys. Ever see him now? He paid the price physically.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2007, 06:20:26 AM »
He'd have had incredible yardage, but there's no proof at all that he had any degree of toughness, that he could move the chains when it counted or sustain possession given his way of running.

That's aside from the fact that he never proved that he was an outstanding playoff performer, while Smith was one of the best backs in playoff history. This can't just be dismissed as irrelevant by extrapolating regular season numbers into the playoffs: some guys just get it done when it counts while Barry didn't prove that at all. Or that he could've played part of a playoff game with a separated shoulder.

I was merely comparing Sanders and Smith.

The other greats you mentioned, I think they're out of Emmit's leauge. Whether or not Barry can compare is a different matter. Emmitt? Definitely not IMO.

Considering that the Cowboys always had multiple offensive threats, and arguably the best offensive line in history of oval ball.
As empty as paradise

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2007, 06:56:22 AM »
Not trying to compare Barry and Emmit
I'm a life long Giants fan and remember when the cowgirls drafted Emmit.
my first thoughts were "shit he's gonna be trouble for us"
I always followed Florida Gators football and knew he'd be a good one.
make no mistake he had great talent around him but he EARNED his way to the hall of fame.showed up everyweek,played hard and played hurt.
anybody remember the game against the Giants when he ran for like 150yards
with a disclocated shoulder?
he gained alot of respect from me.

I can't believe I'm giving props to a cowgirl :P

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2007, 07:11:55 AM »
Campbell ran through guys. Ever see him now? He paid the price physically.
I saw him when he tried a comeback with the saints.  He had a break-away run and he ran out of steam at about the 15 and almost fell over.  Not good.

You're right, Bum Phillips ran Earl's career into the ground. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »

Barry was in whole different class than Emmit. Barry should be mentioned with Payton, Bo Jackson, Dickerson, Sayers, OJ etc... Emmit was definitely not in that 1st tier of elite backs.

I agree.  Barry was the most exciting and dangerous player in the game when he played.  He always required the D to put 8 men in the box . . . and they still couldn't stop him.  Definitely the best RB I've ever seen. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2007, 09:04:30 AM »
Not trying to compare Barry and Emmit
I'm a life long Giants fan and remember when the cowgirls drafted Emmit.
my first thoughts were "shit he's gonna be trouble for us"
I always followed Florida Gators football and knew he'd be a good one.
make no mistake he had great talent around him but he EARNED his way to the hall of fame.showed up everyweek,played hard and played hurt.
anybody remember the game against the Giants when he ran for like 150yards
with a disclocated shoulder?
he gained alot of respect from me.

I can't believe I'm giving props to a cowgirl :P

I hear you.  It pains me to compliment a Cowgirl too, but I remember that Giants game.  Incredible.  I've always respected Emmitt. 

I'm going to take a shower now. . . .   

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2007, 11:47:43 AM »
I agree.  Barry was the most exciting and dangerous player in the game when he played.  He always required the D to put 8 men in the box . . . and they still couldn't stop him.  Definitely the best RB I've ever seen. 

But Pumpster said Emmit was better.... ::)

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2007, 06:03:19 AM »
Mine was Mike Schmidt...I never realized how much of an asshole he was. There was no ESPN or anything like that when I was a kid and I didn't really follow the media. I wrote him a letter when I was like 10 or 11 and he wrote back and signed a baseball card. It was my most prized possesion.

I was also a Randall Cunningham fan throughout high school. He could do no wrong back then.

My favorite basketball players of all time were Charles Barkley and Dr. J.

And I was a Mike Tyson fan (although I hate to admit that).
As a kid I wanted to be Mike Schmidt. I got lucky once in 1980 to go to venterans stadium and see the phils play the reds and I called a Schmidt homer before it happened to my parents. Sadly Johnny bench hit a blast to win the game.

I think it's funny as a white kid from Cali but I always was pretending to be Dr. J, even wore his number in HS.

I should have grown up in Philly with the way I have bled green for all these years... ;D