Author Topic: Who was your sports heroes growing up???  (Read 13488 times)

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
Who was your sports heroes growing up???
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
Mine was Mike Schmidt...I never realized how much of an asshole he was. There was no ESPN or anything like that when I was a kid and I didn't really follow the media. I wrote him a letter when I was like 10 or 11 and he wrote back and signed a baseball card. It was my most prized possesion.

I was also a Randall Cunningham fan throughout high school. He could do no wrong back then.

My favorite basketball players of all time were Charles Barkley and Dr. J.

And I was a Mike Tyson fan (although I hate to admit that).
I Bleed PhillyEagle

body88

Re: Who was your sports heroes growing up???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:52:04 AM »
I thought Wade Boggs was the man. Ben Coates. Larry Bird was a god. Of course Jordan. As for hockey I was always a big Ray Bourque fan also.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »
My fav. growing up was Walter Payton hands down. I tried to play just like him. Keyword "tried"..lol.

I also liked Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson.

I liked that entire Detroit Tigers Team that had: Fielder, Trammel (sp), Tettleton(sp), Gibson..etc that used to hit all those damn HR's during the early 90's late 80's timeframe. I'm not even from detriot. Just liked that team for some odd reason.

I liked Clyde Drexler alot and admired Joe Montana just because that mofo simply got the job done against my Saints year after year.....no matter what kind of Defenses we threw at his a$$.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:31:24 AM »
Greg Louganis... Brian Boitano... ;D

Nah, seriously, I was a big Magic and Laker fan. Also loved Daley Thompson, Arsenal, Ian Wright, Glenn Hysén (although he played for the fcuking Red Devils).

Always been a big fan of Stephen Hendry of course. Jerry Rice. Carl Lewis :-[

Jon Pall Sigmarsson, Naim Suleymanoglü.

Stefan Edberg, Mats Wilander.

And of course, Aleksander Karelin.
As empty as paradise

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:07:33 AM »
Vince Lombardi.  Reading his footbal wisdom in Jerry Kramer's books was really something.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:19:33 AM »
Joe Frazier, Franco Harris, Earl Campbell, Jack Lambert, Terry Bradshaw, Ronnie Lott, Magic Johnson.

amc1980

• Getbig III
  • Thats a special hat, Spirit, give it baaaaack!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
Neville Southall.

Nigel Benn.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 01:35:55 PM »
Joe Montana, Jerry Rice & Ronnie Lott

Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan

Pele'

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
Lawrence Taylor in football.
Don Mattingly in baseball.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 02:31:19 PM »
Steve Grogan...tough SOB.
L

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »
I thought Wade Boggs was the man. Ben Coates. Larry Bird was a god. Of course Jordan. As for hockey I was always a big Ray Bourque fan also.

Wow Ben Coates...i havent heard that name in while. Bledsoe to Coates.

I was and always will be a HUGE Dan Marino fan, form the time i was in in the 2nd grade till he retired. In my room i have my walls covered with his posters and Dolphin penants. My dad asked if he could take it down now that i live away and i said no. the dolphins broke my heart every year in the playoffs. as a young kid if they lost a game i would start to tear and it would literally ruin the rest of my week. my mom knew i was a fanatic and would always make my favorite meal if Marino lost, looking back now i realized how much she loved me she passed in 04'. not to bring this down but i just relate that part of my life together. when i was junior in high school my family and i were eating at fancy restaurant and low and behold Dan and his family were there, i tried to get his autograph but was too scared i just walked as close to his table and made eye contact but just walked away. later during our meal Marino walked by while he and his family were leaving (our table was on the way out) and he said "hey kid i hear you have my posters on your walls" and he signed an autograph for me and shook my hand! apparently my father had told him that i was a huge fan and that i attempted to get the autograph myself while i was in the restroom.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 05:16:30 PM »
Not so much growing up as I was a teenager to a mid 20 something, but I used to love to watch Barry Sanders play and the way he handled himself on the field. I actually went to his house after the bar one night when I was 21(12 years ago)cuz he liked my girlfriends friend and we hung out for a few hours, I am not easily star struck, but the girls were kind of giving me a hard time because I was just so fkn happy to be talking to the guy. And no he didn't "close it", he was actually very shy, kind of weird.
E

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:19:43 PM »
Mine was Mike Schmidt...I never realized how much of an asshole he was. There was no ESPN or anything like that when I was a kid and I didn't really follow the media. I wrote him a letter when I was like 10 or 11 and he wrote back and signed a baseball card. It was my most prized possesion.

I was also a Randall Cunningham fan throughout high school. He could do no wrong back then.

My favorite basketball players of all time were Charles Barkley and Dr. J.

And I was a Mike Tyson fan (although I hate to admit that).

ESPN started in 1979 when Michael Jack Schmidt was in his prime so what cave were you in? Also he sent you a signed card and you call him an asshole? He seems like a great guy in interviews so whats your problem with him?
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »
Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Munson, Guidry, Mattingly. Nuff said.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:35:45 PM »
Steve Grogan...tough SOB.

Reminded me of QB of Joe Barnes of the Montreal Allouettes during the same era; both teams were shown a lot on TV in eastern Canada. The Patriots would've gone farther with a better QB though.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 02:22:55 AM »
Not so much growing up as I was a teenager to a mid 20 something, but I used to love to watch Barry Sanders play and the way he handled himself on the field. I actually went to his house after the bar one night when I was 21(12 years ago)cuz he liked my girlfriends friend and we hung out for a few hours, I am not easily star struck, but the girls were kind of giving me a hard time because I was just so fkn happy to be talking to the guy. And no he didn't "close it", he was actually very shy, kind of weird.

I sure hope you told him Emmitt was fcuking overrated. >:(
As empty as paradise

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 04:09:27 AM »

I got a picture of myself with Barry Sanders at the Walter Camp All America dinner in 1989. Really good guy.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 05:07:51 AM »
I sure hope you told him Emmitt was fcuking overrated. >:(

He is, but I never told him that. Funny how Emmit is such a media whore and Barry, who didn't get the yardage record that he could have gotten easily is totally out of the spotlight. My mom sees him and his wife at a shopping center by her house on occasion, but he basically stays away from the media. Like I said before, very shy person.
E

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 07:29:50 AM »
Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Munson, Guidry, Mattingly. Nuff said.

I was a big Nettles fan growing up.  I saw an old baseball card of him recently, his arms must have measued 13 inches.  He also was the AL HR champion one year with a monstrous 32 dingers.
Y

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 07:48:47 AM »
Mine was Mike Schmidt...

#1 Schmiddy was my #1 guy unbdoubtedly along (for that matter) with Luzinski and dave cash in the 70'and early 80's

#2 Earl Campbell (skoal brother ! ) along with Pastorini and alot of the oilers

#3 the combination of Archie griffen and Boobie Clarke and alot of the Bengals

#4 Any fighter that ever got a shot against Ali (except Foreman) I could'nt stand Ali back in the day

#5 Bjorn Borg

stopped givin a shit in the mid 80's

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 07:59:50 AM »

ESPN started in 1979 when Michael Jack Schmidt was in his prime so what cave were you in? Also he sent you a signed card and you call him an asshole? He seems like a great guy in interviews so whats your problem with him?

schmitty was a tool back in the day...he's more approachable since he got into the hall and became ''born again''

footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 08:01:41 AM »
#1 Schmiddy was my #1 guy unbdoubtedly along (for that matter) with Luzinski and dave cash in the 70'and early 80's

#2 Earl Campbell (skoal brother ! ) along with Pastorini and alot of the oilers

#3 the combination of Archie griffen and Boobie Clarke and alot of the Bengals

#4 Any fighter that ever got a shot against Ali (except Foreman) I could'nt stand Ali back in the day

#5 Bjorn Borg

fucking dave cash...jesus..how old are you!?  lol...

bake mcbride had a cool afro...

stopped givin a shit in the mid 80's
footloose and fancy free

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 08:16:57 AM »
schmitty was always media friendly,you're thinkin of Steve Carlton,Carlton was the guy that never did interviews and nothing much to do with fans....

you also have to remember Schmidt played back when philly fan prided them selfs on being assholes......

schmidt was making allstar team after allstar and leading the league yackin HRs and RBI and they'd still boo him the next night if he went 0 fer the night before

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 08:20:47 AM »
Here's a name no one's mentioned.

Bo Jackson. I loved watching him compete in both football and baseball in his prime. He was one of most the most gifted athletes I have ever seen. The "Bo Knows" commercials were kind of stupid but Bo was a serious bad ass in his heyday.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 08:27:02 AM »
Bo was probably the best back i've seen.

No one's mentioned him because he wasn't around when most here were growing up.