Author Topic: The Tripe Disaster  (Read 5383 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: The Tripe Disaster
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »
With kibble to another kibble, but kibble to raw it should just be done.  The differences in the digestive process and times between kibble and raw are almost guaranteed to cause a problem if mixed.   And if the dog has a sensitive stomach I would expect it to be even more sensitive if putting in foods that require different times to digest.

Most vets don't know anything about raw and if asking them about switching foods they will think kibble and say gradual change.  We are talking kibble to raw here, not kibble to another kibble.

I'd be most concerned about clostridial enteritis. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »

can you elaborate more Vet?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »
can you elaborate more Vet?
I gotta run right now (sorry) and meet my wife a the gym---its DE squats/deadlifts tonight  ;D and then I gotta do a quick surgery on my dog.  I'll post up more later tonight. 

basically the dietary change causes opportunistic bacteria to overgrow.  Raw meat is a great growth media for clostridia.  The clostridia produces a toxin that causes horrific bloody diarrhea and really, really smelly farts.   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 04:53:24 PM »
Why only 2 meals, especially if entirely raw?  With a digestion rate of 3-4 hours, I would think more often would be better?

What do you think of the basic getting started raw plan outlined in the WDJ this month?

Dogs can be fed one meal a day and be fine (Giant breeds being an exception because of the amount they would have to eat at one sitting.)  Some people feed every couple of days the way they would be eating in the wild.  I will skip a meal with my dogs and after their regular feeding time has passed they don't even act like they missed a meal.  2 meals a day puts their body on a schedule to, it's not constantly digesting food 24 hours a day. Give the stomach a break.

My subscription ran out to WDJ so I haven't seen the article, can you summarize it or send it to me?   

Here is the "usual" getting started:

Feed chicken (backs, frames, quarters, wings(if puppies) for a week or 2, then add in another food item to the diet, another week add something else, and so on.  Offals you give in small amounts because they can be rich after a few weeks on the diet.  (I'll be honest, I have never done the wait a week in between new foods, I don't throw everything in the first week, but by week 3 they are eating the whole menu here no problem)

I think starting with whole RMB's is better than starting with preground items.  Get the bone in for bulk.   Pick him up some chicken backs and hold off on the tripe for now. 

And if I ever get a dog that doesn't adjust right away (runny stools or something) I would stick with it because it will likely straighten out in a day or 2. As long as the dog is not acting like it is in distress. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 04:56:56 PM »

I wouldn't.  The changing back and forth of easily digested food to harder digesting food is pretty common to cause some stomach upsets and digestion issues.   That is why I am not a fan of feeding kibble and raw.   And then you get the runny poop and everyone goes nuts and then gives up on the diet not realizing the probable cause behind it.  And of course it makes the perfect set up for the "bacteria" fear to make it's appearance.   8)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »
I wouldn't.  The changing back and forth of easily digested food to harder digesting food is pretty common to cause some stomach upsets and digestion issues.   That is why I am not a fan of feeding kibble and raw.   And then you get the runny poop and everyone goes nuts and then gives up on the diet not realizing the probable cause behind it.  And of course it makes the perfect set up for the "bacteria" fear to make it's appearance.   8)

Uh?  You're confusing me Flower with what you are posting. 

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »
Wow look what I have to look forward to!!! Thanks for the tripe Flowerkins!  :D
X

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 11:16:14 PM »
  :o   :o   :o  :-X

Seeing those pics makes me appreciate my goldfish even more.  :)
w

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 04:12:53 AM »
  :o   :o   :o  :-X

Seeing those pics makes me appreciate my goldfish even more.  :)

Judi, does drkcock know you have goldfish?   8)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 10:13:20 AM »

Judi, does drkcock know you have goldfish?   8)

??? Dr who?
w

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »