Author Topic: Why won't the Democrats give America an electable candidate?  (Read 3733 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Why won't the Democrats give America an electable candidate?
« on: August 09, 2007, 05:44:43 AM »

Please, dear god, explain this to me. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
Re: Why won't the Democrats give America an electable candidate?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:47:41 AM »
they have one...she's called hilary clinton...very electable and she's got a very good shot at winning.
footloose and fancy free

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:49:09 AM »
they have one...she's called hilary clinton...very electable and she's got a very good shot at winning.

If she had never been Hillary Clinton, maybe, but because of her name, she cannot win a national election.

The Democrats need to give us a died-in-the-wool, blueblood White American male who knows his head from his behind.

There's no reason this election shouldn't be an absolute slam dunk, but I strongly disagree with those who feel that Clinton (or even Obama) is electable, because she's not. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:50:13 AM »
She's the only one. The Repubs have two maybe three. Hil does have a great shot. Once we get closer to the election, she will carve up Obama even more.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »
She understands the political game much better then Obama, and Edwards does not come off as genuine.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 07:12:52 AM »
She understands the political game much better then Obama, and Edwards does not come off as genuine.
Authenticity or coming off as 'genuine' is what's wrong with the political analysis in this country.

Instead, look at the substantive topics in each candidate's platform.

Of all the candidates (democratic or republican), only Edwards offers a complete proposal on national health care.

Authenticity.  Bush, in 2000 and 2004, came across as a guy you'd like to have a beer with b/c he was a regular guy--genuine.  Bullshit.  He is the product of privilege and special treatment attending elite prep schools and the finest college in the country.  He was raised by a multi-millionaire family to summer in Kennebunkport while returning to Connecticut to work amongst the elites.  He moved to Texas bought a ranch--even though he's afraid of horses--and ran for president.  He continually lied about his platform topics but so what!  He was likable and anyone could have a beer with him.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 07:15:35 AM »

I totally agree with exactly what you've written, but Hillary Clinton is carrying way too much baggage to win the Presidency.  

If she hadn't been so visible, vocal, and polarizing back during Bill's first term, I could agree with giving her a puncher's chance, but all that negative sentiment cannot be undone.  

And aside from the fact that there are many people who are merely 'anti-Hillary', you also have to keep in mind that there is a significant percentage of women voters who will vote against her just because she is a woman.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 08:10:49 AM »
I totally agree with exactly what you've written, but Hillary Clinton is carrying way too much baggage to win the Presidency.  

If she hadn't been so visible, vocal, and polarizing back during Bill's first term, I could agree with giving her a puncher's chance, but all that negative sentiment cannot be undone.  

And aside from the fact that there are many people who are merely 'anti-Hillary', you also have to keep in mind that there is a significant percentage of women voters who will vote against her just because she is a woman.

what baggage is that? bill? bill helps a whole lot...  and i think hilary's baggage is a lot less burdensome than the repubs baggage (bush for the past 8 years)  obama's got no shot..the dems know that...get ready for a woman president because she'll beat rudy or mitt...
footloose and fancy free

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »

I disagree she has a lot of womens votes, but almost no male votes and vice-versa for Fred Thompson of Reb.  She is all about getting in the chair, and not about making an actual change.  If by some fluke she does get elected, look for someone to at least try and take her out.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:19:05 AM »
If she had never been Hillary Clinton, maybe, but because of her name, she cannot win a national election.

The Democrats need to give us a died-in-the-wool, blueblood White American male who knows his head from his behind.

There's no reason this election shouldn't be an absolute slam dunk, but I strongly disagree with those who feel that Clinton (or even Obama) is electable, because she's not. 

If anything, her name is helping her.

Bill Clinton would win a presidential election by a landslide if he was allowed to run again.

Hillary's problems are that she may not be good enough.
As empty as paradise

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 08:19:05 AM »
I disagree she has a lot of womens votes, but almost no male votes and vice-versa for Fred Thompson of Reb.  She is all about getting in the chair, and not about making an actual change.  If by some fluke she does get elected, look for someone to at least try and take her out.

what politician isn't about getting in the chair? 
footloose and fancy free

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »

what baggage is that? bill? bill helps a whole lot...  and i think hilary's baggage is a lot less burdensome than the repubs baggage (bush for the past 8 years)  obama's got no shot..the dems know that...get ready for a woman president because she'll beat rudy or mitt...

I don't think she will be going against Rudi, I have a sneaking feeling that Fred Thompson will gain support and end up as the Rep. GOP.  He is a true conservative and fits the party better than most of the other nominees.

what politician isn't about getting in the chair? 
true, but to me she seems more interested in becoming the first woman president than actually benefitting our nation....IMO.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 08:29:12 AM »
I don't think she will be going against Rudi, I have a sneaking feeling that Fred Thompson will gain support and end up as the Rep. GOP.  He is a true conservative and fits the party better than most of the other nominees.true, but to me she seems more interested in becoming the first woman president than actually benefitting our nation....IMO.

has fred thompson announced yet? everytime i hear about him they say he's exploring a run...the repubs can still win this..it's not a longshot..they need a very solid ticket--no dissension in the party and they could win it again...
footloose and fancy free

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 08:29:58 AM »
...but to me she seems more interested in becoming the first woman president than actually benefitting our nation....IMO.
How are your two points mutually exclusive?  Somebody has to be 'the first' in everything.  I don't see how one detracts from the other.

Are you inferring that her ambition makes her less qualified?  In that case, we could shitcan every presidential candidate from the beginning.  No candidate has the mantle of president grudgingly thrust upon him.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »
How are your two points mutually exclusive?  Somebody has to be 'the first' in everything.  I don't see how one detracts from the other.

Are you inferring that her ambition makes her less qualified?  In that case, we could shitcan every presidential candidate from the beginning.  No candidate has the mantle of president grudgingly thrust upon him.

I think George Washington did...
footloose and fancy free

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 08:33:25 AM »

has fred thompson announced yet? everytime i hear about him they say he's exploring a run...the repubs can still win this..it's not a longshot..they need a very solid ticket--no dissension in the party and they could win it again...

no not yet, but I have a feeling he will, he is already 2nd in the poles and he hasn't even announced.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 08:37:14 AM »

I am just saying that she seems more consumed with being that 1st woman president than being a good president, and I am not saying that she couldn't be both.  I would prefer some who's main goal was to make progressive change in our nation.  This is why I support Fred Thompson.  He hasn't even announced his running and people are flocking to him.  He is letting the people speak.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 08:43:27 AM »
I am just saying that she seems more consumed with being that 1st woman president than being a good president, and I am not saying that she couldn't be both.  I would prefer some who's main goal was to make progressive change in our nation.  This is why I support Fred Thompson.  He hasn't even announced his running and people are flocking to him.  He is letting the people speak.

you better dig up thomas jefferson or john adams and ask them to run again..because no president is going to make progressive change because that would mean getting out from under the thumb of corporate america---and if they did that then they wouldn't become president anyhow...
footloose and fancy free

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 08:49:59 AM »

you better dig up thomas jefferson or john adams and ask them to run again..because no president is going to make progressive change because that would mean getting out from under the thumb of corporate america---and if they did that then they wouldn't become president anyhow...

that is a interesting point of view.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 08:50:54 AM »
that is a interesting point of view.

which one? digging up thomas jefferson?
footloose and fancy free

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 08:52:32 AM »
yeah...kinda gross, but interesting none the less...

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 08:52:51 AM »
and why isnt barack obama electable? ...maybe you think he is overly intelligent, or is much more objective than he ought to be????   or maybe hes not "black enough"..

barack obama is the most ELECTABLE candidate for president since ...well, jfk.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 08:55:49 AM »
and why isnt barack obama electable? ...maybe you think he is overly intelligent, or is much more objective than he ought to be????   or maybe hes not "black enough"..

barack obama is the most ELECTABLE candidate for president since ...well, jfk.

He is too closely tied to Islam...that scares people.  He is objective, but that pakistan comment just gave hillary something to grind on...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 08:56:58 AM »

Thursday, Aug. 9, 2007 10:28 a.m. EDT
Fred Thompson Edges Toward September Announcement

He’s revamped his "Weekly Update” e-mail, hired new campaign staffers including Bill Lacy, whom he credits with having saved his re-election for the Senate, and is spending August traveling around the country speaking to voters – all signs that Fred Thompson is getting ready to toss his hat in the presidential ring.

"It’s not quite two-a-days, but I think we’re building some real momentum,” cqpoltics.com reports he told supporters. "To keep that momentum, we’re shifting into higher gear.”

Lacy, a pro who worked on the presidential campaigns of Ronald Reagan, President George H.W. Bush and former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, also worked on Thompson’s 2004 Senate run.

"As I move toward a decision on whether to run for president, I am confident he will take our operations to the next level,” Thompson said.

Also signed up was Randy Enwright, national political director of the "testing the waters” campaign.

According to cqpolitics.com, Floridian Enwright, has served as executive director of the GOP in Florida and Iowa, and served as political director of the Missouri Republican Party, in addition to working on campaigns for all three Bushes — presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, as well as Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

All this points to an early September announcement that Thompson is in the race.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/8/9/103400.shtml?s=ic

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 08:59:14 AM »
Thursday, Aug. 9, 2007 10:28 a.m. EDT
Fred Thompson Edges Toward September Announcement

He’s revamped his "Weekly Update” e-mail, hired new campaign staffers including Bill Lacy, whom he credits with having saved his re-election for the Senate, and is spending August traveling around the country speaking to voters – all signs that Fred Thompson is getting ready to toss his hat in the presidential ring.

"It’s not quite two-a-days, but I think we’re building some real momentum,” cqpoltics.com reports he told supporters. "To keep that momentum, we’re shifting into higher gear.”

Lacy, a pro who worked on the presidential campaigns of Ronald Reagan, President George H.W. Bush and former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, also worked on Thompson’s 2004 Senate run.

"As I move toward a decision on whether to run for president, I am confident he will take our operations to the next level,” Thompson said.

Also signed up was Randy Enwright, national political director of the "testing the waters” campaign.

According to cqpolitics.com, Floridian Enwright, has served as executive director of the GOP in Florida and Iowa, and served as political director of the Missouri Republican Party, in addition to working on campaigns for all three Bushes — presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, as well as Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

All this points to an early September announcement that Thompson is in the race.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/8/9/103400.shtml?s=ic
He is a much better combatant than Rudi for the likes of hillary.