Author Topic: Amazon.com sells animal fighting Mags/Books/Vids!!!  (Read 3293 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Amazon.com sells animal fighting Mags/Books/Vids!!!
« on: August 09, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
That is absolutely bullshit!!!

2 Examples:

Dog Fighting:
http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Pit-Fighting-Disease-History/dp/1846644488/ref=pd_bbs_5/103-0801146-1513442?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186688151&sr=8-5

Cock Fighting:
http://www.amazon.com/Gamecock/dp/B00007LNAB/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0801146-1513442?ie=UTF8&s=magazines&qid=1186688151&sr=8-1

As much as the H$U$ can be shady, they do have a campaign page set up where they will send a letter to Amazon on your behalf, all you have to do is fill in your information:

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2007_amazon_fighting3

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Amazon.com sells animal fighting Mags/Books/Vids!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

As much as the H$U$ can be shady,

:-\ what do you mean?
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »
:-\ what do you mean?

Flower and I have both commented on this recently.  The HSUS (and many other "Animal Rights") groups are well run propoganda machines with little concern for the actual animals involved as long as they continue to raise money and fill their own coffers.   Look at the budgets of groups like the HSUS and Peta (they used to be available online, I don't know if you can still find them) but these groups actually spend very, very little on animal care, animal food, treatment of injured animals or other direct animal activities.  Instead their budget is focused on their propoganda.  

The very name "humane society" leads people to believe that the HSUS has a shelter somewhere where injured/sick/abandonded animals are taken care of.  To the best of my knowledge they don't.  The only animal activities that I am aware of them directly funding is a couple of wild bird centers on the East coast, one of which is pretty much funded through a group of private donations in teh name of HSUS.  

Like I said before, I've had a long, long history with these groups and I don't like them.  They will mislead people and prey on peoples emotions to fufill their own agendas.  

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
...but they do bring awareness to the general population, right?  Awareness we wouldn't otherwise have  ???

whew  :-X
Scout just blew a stinky one ;D
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 04:22:26 PM »
...but they do bring awareness to the general population, right?  Awareness we wouldn't otherwise have  ???

whew  :-X
Scout just blew a stinky one ;D

LOL @ the poo

No, I really dont' think they do.  Like I've said before, I've had a history with these animal rights organizations for more than 20 years---since I was a teenager and my grandpa put a bullet in a car.  they make alot of noise, but not one time have they actually stood up and done something for the animals directly.  But they have proven again and again that they have their own agenda that they will try to fufill no matter what and the provide an excuse for people to feel good about themselves by writing a check and not really doing anything the whole time while preying on ingnorance and peoples emotions.    Just an example---there where three students in my veterinary school class who were card carrying members of PETA.  Not one time in the 4 years I was in vet school did I see them at the humane society or the local rescues.  My wife and I were there nearly every weekend and many times during the week too.  One of them is now very, very active in the veterinary animal rights organization (a SCARY group of individuals in my opinion) but to this day I don't think she's done one minute of volunteer work with the animals.  She will spout off how much she LOVES them and how cruel this and that is, but she never, ever does anything to actually fix the situation.  She is an example of many I've encountered. 

Stop and think about the regular posters on this forum--the 25-30 or so there is (maybe more).  If you want to really, really do something about animal neglect, homeless dogs and cats, etc, then get up and go volunteer at your local humane society, support your local pet blood drive, educate children about animals, work with a local rescue organization, provide a home for a rescue animal the next time you are looking for a new pet.  Then at least you will be doing something with the animals, not hiding behind a well run propoganda machine spouting bullshit.   If you can get 15 of the 25 people to do that (I think there is maybe 3 or 4 right now who already are--maybe more, I apologize if I didn't count you) think of the difference you will make.  Thats what really needs to be done.   

The bottom line and the best information I can give you about these groups (Ie any self proclaimed animal rights group) is to very, very carefully investigate them before you do anything with them.  Ask where the money is going, ask to see proof of their work, etc.  Its your right if you are going to give them money or other things.  Once you've investigated, then make up your mind if you truely agree with what they are doing.   Please.  You might be surprised.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 05:28:58 PM »

So...I am the only one bothered by Amazon allowing that crap to be sold on their site?

>:(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »

Yes, they can, but just recently the HSUS solicited funds stating they would go for the care of the dogs in the Vicks case when in truth they have nothing to do with the care of those dogs or any other animals.   They also are being investigated for funds the collected for the animals after Katrina which are unaccounted for. 

I posted the Vicks info here an in another thread:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=161292.0

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 05:42:21 PM »
I can't say I am for this.....

but

I'm the type of person that wishes to read about topics that I'm against so i have a better understanding or a better argument for the cause.

If there is no literature to read....then I would actually have to go & see this crap first hand.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 05:45:49 PM »
are you talking about the magazines/books/videos that Amazon is selling?  I provided links to two of the items. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »

So...I am the only one bothered by Amazon allowing that crap to be sold on their site?

>:(

I dont' like it or agree with it, but the best way to get Amazon to get rid of it is to not buy it.  The one book was published over 100 years ago--when fighting wasn't necessarily illegal.  It almost seems to be more of a history book than a how to manual. 

In all honesty, if I encountered this book ina  book store, I'd probably pick it up and page through it.  I wouldn't buy it though.   

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »
Well said Vet, and Flower. Don't be fooled by the facade of organizations like PETA and HSUS they are more of a political movement than a charity group interested in the welfare of Animals in America. I would suggest that anyone wanting to make a money donation do it to a private group or organisation in there own area that isn't associated with either group
X

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 06:02:11 PM »
disgusting bastards

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 10:45:44 PM »
Hmmmm very tough one here. On one hand Myself and my wife are animal lovers and Owners and it totally disgust's us that a book like this was even written and that it is available on Amazon....but...on the other hand we do have the right to read whatever we want and to write whatever we want as well. We have been having the same type of issues here in Australia with some hate filled religious books that have been circulating over here. Similar kind of thing, I hate the message and what is in it, but do we have the right to tell people what they can read and write as everyone has differant opinions of what is right and wrong.

As I said it's a tough one. But as I said above, we still hate the fact that you can buy a book like this on Amazon......

Alex23

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Calmn down bitches.

"fighting dogs" is a general term and can be used for different pusposes...

I have a puppy Pitt chewing my chin as we speak. I hope he grows up to be more.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 07:25:04 AM »
I don't think GameCock magazine is marketed as a  history magazine. 

Articles on gamefowl, poultry diseases, sport results, advertising of supplies for proper care of gamefowl and some history of gamefowl.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 08:26:57 PM »

there are a lot of migrants from the shitholes of e. europe, c.  & s. america who love these diversions. it's a different world-view.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 04:10:42 AM »
there are a lot of migrants from the shitholes of e. europe, c.  & s. america who love these diversions. it's a different world-view.

So do you think they should be doing it where it is illegal?  And it should be legal to promote it via a published magazine? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 04:10:38 AM »
oh great :-\ Good to know they've got such wonderful recommendations for me when I click back to Amazon...

More to Explore
You looked at You might also consider

The Dog Pit - Or, How To Select... Paperback by Richard, K. Fox  Off the Chain DVD ~ Karen Ross (III), Bobby J. Brown