Author Topic: what now for Bonds?  (Read 1126 times)

blinky

• Getbig V
what now for Bonds?
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »
now that Bonds broke the record do you think he will continue playing or will he retire at the end of the year?

i mentioned this in another thread and had mixed comments.

personnally i think he's done. he's 43 and has injuries. the last couple years he almost retired cause of these injuries. this year he isnt even playing every game. if he hadnt been so close to breaking the record i think he would have called it quits already.

some have mentioned that he could still play 2-3 more season. that would make him 45-46. the only way i can see him doing it is like someone else said...go play in the AL and DH . that way he dosent have to take the field which would take alot of stress of his body and help his injuries.

i could be completely wrong and no interviews ive seen with him has he said anything but that hes still having fun. i guess well see in a couple months.
what do you guys think?

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: what now for Bonds?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »
i would expect him to play another year or maybe even 2 but not for san fran...from what i heard the giants only brought him back this year because he was going to break the record.

he'll be a american league dh somewhere next year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
Probably wind up as a DH for the Yankees.

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 09:30:38 PM »

i grew up a don mattingly fan when the yankees were so mediocre in the 80's, but watching them now makes me want to turn off the tv. they're such a collection of single player. they come across as the furthest thing from a team in baseball. Bonds would fit right in.
Go Big Red!!!

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »
don't think Barry and New York are a good match,the New York Media combined with his fragile ego and the roid issue ?

being from california (and living here) and his kids  getting older now I can see him lookin at Oakland or even the Angels to finish out if they offer anything close to the yankees

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
What's next for Bonds?   Disneyland   

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:35:23 AM »

I was about the say the same thing. It would be pretty wild seeing Bonds in a Yankees uniform and dealing with the New York media. I doubt he'll go to the east coast, though. He would replace Giambi's sorry ass at DH if he did.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:59:26 AM »
Myabe he'll go to Boston.. Wicked hard..  :o

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 09:08:09 PM »
Bonds has been sitting out a game here or there for the last 4-5 seasons. He's 43, and he has injuries, yes. But the reason he sits out those games, is not due to injury per se, it's because he plays all night long, and then has to get up early and play another game with less than 12-24hrs rest. And that is what takes a toll on his body.
I've often thought Barry would play in NY, with the payroll Steinbrenner shells out, Barry would be happy and his role as a DH would fit perfectly. But from what I've been hearing (not that that matters, or counts for anything), Barry won't be wearing pinstripes next year for whatever reason.
I'd like to see Barry get his ring, even as much of an asshole I think he can be. But, even though they're my home team and I like watching them play, the Giants just are not going to get him that ring anytime soon. :-\