Author Topic: I'm invited to a Walima... Any suggestions on what to wear?  (Read 10038 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
I'm invited to a Walima... Any suggestions on what to wear?
« on: August 11, 2007, 08:31:13 AM »

...I'm completely blown away, I'm flabbergasted.  I feel lucky.  I love things I've never done before.

I've never been to a Moslem wedding and I'm formally invited (in gold lettering "Assalamu Alaikum"  "Please Note that full segregation will be observed.  Female first floor, Male ground floor."  It's at the La Royale Banqueting Suites !!!

It's the lovely family across the road I've known forever.  All the young girls are married with children, I've said hello darling, how are you to them since they were 10 or 12.  This is the marriage of the first-born son.  It's a 3-day thing & I'm invited to the feast on Wednesday.

I've googled wedding etiquette and it's says I must be covered, from head to toe, I must not wear red and I'm supposed to give them an envelope with money in it...

Obviously I'm the token mad white unmarried female neighbour, (which I love being), so any suggestions?

I have absolutely nothing to wear.  I either sew together something which goes down to the ground and chuck a sarong on my head, or I go to Oxfam and get creative, or both.

I'm not missing this 3-hour feast (I'll need to wear something stretchy
xL

Could you please tell me what would be appropriate for a single white British woman to wear to her first and maybe only Walima?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: I'm invited to a Walima... Any suggestions on what to wear?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 12:06:24 PM »
Linda, I don't know how you are supposed to dress at one of those but you may want to PM ProteinFarts about this.  He posted a website here awhile back with some beautiful things.  I saved it...I'll try to find it....

here it is:  http://www.bargello.com/default.asp
R

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 01:13:29 PM »
Linda, I don't know how you are supposed to dress at one of those but you may want to PM ProteinFarts about this.  He posted a website here awhile back with some beautiful things.  I saved it...I'll try to find it....

here it is:  http://www.bargello.com/default.asp

THANKS STella
I wouldn't pm anyone unless I'm responding to one of theirs and I don't even do that, but I did think to ask ProF (in fact I did on my first edit of this query, but I deleted that bit because he hasn't been here for a while now...

I will read your blue link tomorrow.  Thanks so much.  I might just ask the girlys across the road who invited me.  I need to get a ride too, it's in Tottenham, which is N19 and 1-2 hours away from here...  (or perhaps more importantly, to arrange a lift home!

I always come up with an outfit.  I've got rain gear, summer suits, frilly hats, wellington boots, golf wear, riding gear and even lycra cycling stuff.  I've got pink painting and purple gardening overalls.  I've got evening wear (his and hers) and smoking jackets and satin dressing gowns. 

I collect lovely classic clothing. 

I'll find something appropriate!

The weather is lovely, so I won't have to concern myself about that.  I have a collection of men's evening shirts, so I might wear one of those over a long dress with some kind of big scarf.  I don't think I should attempt to look ethnic, that would be daft.  After all I'm only going for the food and because they are a lovely happy smiley family.  And because I've never been to a Walima...  I didn't even know what one was till I received this gorgeous gold ink embossed invite and googled !!!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 05:08:23 PM »
You guys wouldn't do jack, LOL!

I believe he said he would love to do it, not that he was planning on it Doc ::)
E

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 07:38:50 PM »
of course i wouldn't do it, i'm a law abiding citizen but i'm saying that in a dream world where anything is legal i might, i seriously can't stand some of those people, the way they come here and don't want to adapt is sickening.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »
I believe he said he would love to do it, not that he was planning on it Doc ::)

That's pretty obvious.

mahg

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 12:57:08 AM »
This is what you'd wear:

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 08:32:10 AM »
This is what you'd wear:

There are some hot women in there.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:19:54 PM »
Yeah, some real stunners ::)

The one in the front, and the two with head scarves. Nice faces and smiles

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
The one in the front, and the two with head scarves. Nice faces and smiles

Hahahah, you are funny dude ;D
E