Author Topic: HOW DO HARDCORE GYMS MAKE MONEY? CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN?  (Read 8227 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
HOW DO HARDCORE GYMS MAKE MONEY? CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN?
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:56:25 PM »
I go to a hardcore gym in the Bronx. New York and I always wonder how it stays in business since I only see the same old guys (members) year after year.  Memberships run about $350 a year...how much overhead is there really?... I know there's upkeep of the machines..employees...a guy to clean up. rent. light and gas..heat and airconditioning..are gyms very profitable or do they make only just enough for the owner to make a small living? I'm not talking about wussy gyms like Bally's,  How many members do you have to sign up yearly to make money?  I am just trying to understand the economics of gym ownership.  Thinking of taking the plunge one day and maybe owning a gym of my own.  Any advice?

MIAMI BLUE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: HOW DO HARDCORE GYMS MAKE MONEY? CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:41:29 AM »
DON'T------AGAIN--------------DON'T

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 04:58:42 AM »
I  think its a lot like bars and Restarants. PPL go in w/ their heart in something. Make sure you got deep pockets to support your gym IMO. Tough Biz.

The commercial chains have it down to a numbers game.
Take a good look at the dorks that run and own many commercial chains. Bean counters.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 05:33:31 AM »
Temple Gym in Birmingham doesn't make any money and that's a classic hardcore gym. The place is famous and gets a few "bodybuilding tourists" from far and wide but they never pay to train - just take photographs. What hope do the others have if this mecca doesn't sell?

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 06:02:26 AM »
Temple Gym in Birmingham doesn't make any money and that's a classic hardcore gym. The place is famous and gets a few "bodybuilding tourists" from far and wide but they never pay to train - just take photographs. What hope do the others have if this mecca doesn't sell?

When I went to Golds Venice in the mid 80's for a few weeks, the guy at the front desk just waved me in ;D.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »
My gym does quite well, always has. It is far from hardcore though, like a million miles away, it caters to the "executive crowd"...I have all the fancy trappings like internet access on the cardio, top class changing rooms done up like a spa etc, while my weight selection leaves much to be desired and I have the audacity to wildly overcharge people for all services. The gym business can be profitable, but one has to have all the elements in place; good concept, location, service, marketing etc. Personally, from my experience I would *not* reccomend the hardcore gym route.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:03:58 PM »
My gym does quite well, always has. It is far from hardcore though, like a million miles away, it caters to the "executive crowd"...I have all the fancy trappings like internet access on the cardio, top class changing rooms done up like a spa etc, while my weight selection leaves much to be desired and I have the audacity to wildly overcharge people for all services. The gym business can be profitable, but one has to have all the elements in place; good concept, location, service, marketing etc. Personally, from my experience I would *not* reccomend the hardcore gym route.

You have a Lot of Tourist/ Travel flow too???
PPl are free w/ their money on Holiday, they dont mind paying for a nice experience.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »

the gym I work out at is a front operation that keeps Uncle Sam's hand from going too far into its owner's pockets.  so, it's sorta like a private club . . . the only "uninvited" members are "pillar of the community" types who might get curious as to why we're the only gym in town that turns people away. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »

the gym I work out at is a front operation that keeps Uncle Sam's hand from going too far into its owner's pockets.  so, it's sorta like a private club . . . the only "uninvited" members are "pillar of the community" types who might get curious as to why we're the only gym in town that turns people away. 

The Gym/ Sports center up in the Avenues is very nice in SLC. Top class.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »
Mitt romney's going to be president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:37:14 PM »
Mitt romney's going to be president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Snowballs chance in Hell :o

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
You have a Lot of Tourist/ Travel flow too???
PPl are free w/ their money on Holiday, they dont mind paying for a nice experience.

Not at my gym no, I am located well away from any hotels. I maybe get 5 or so tourists a year. Basically, people pay for the "exclusivity" which is really more perceived than actual.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:42:36 PM »
Not at my gym no, I am located well away from any hotels. I maybe get 5 or so tourists a year. Basically, people pay for the "exclusivity" which is really more perceived than actual.

Well, your running a very good Biz then. I pictured "tourist trap". Like my wife's home island.
Thing about a island - you kind of stuck as a tourist!

Some of the nice gyms there seem to do a very steady Biz w/ tourists.
Everything costs extra, kind of like a ski hill. Hard to supply.
Travelers don't care...

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 10:15:43 PM »
Well, your running a very good Biz then. I pictured "tourist trap". Like my wife's home island.
Thing about a island - you kind of stuck as a tourist!

Some of the nice gyms there seem to do a very steady Biz w/ tourists.
Everything costs extra, kind of like a ski hill. Hard to supply.
Travelers don't care...

No the gym is no tourist trap, but my other business is a total tourist trap. Down to the island decor and all ;D

Trab, excuse the topic change, but I was thinking about going to Thailand later this year and have been googling it like a fiend. Do you recommend it at all just for a vacation type thing? Obviously I live in a tourist type resort place, so have no interest in seeing that crap. Are there any parts you would recommend. I somewhat assumed to avoid Bangkok. Suggestions?

[Please bear with me all off topic with myself everyone, but this is getbig and off topic is our specialty here :D]

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:35:28 AM »
Check PM, I'll get windy..

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 11:42:10 AM »
Check PM, I'll get windy..

LOL, I got it thanks VERY MUCH....most informative!

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 07:22:52 AM »

that isn't the one that dorian runs is it?
footloose and fancy free

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 07:30:05 AM »

that isn't the one that dorian runs is it?

That is Yates Gym.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 07:44:53 AM »
That is Yates Gym.

i thought so...that'd be a shame if he sold that that...
footloose and fancy free

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 07:55:42 AM »

i thought so...that'd be a shame if he sold that that...

I though he was offering franchise on the name and setup ???

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 12:27:44 PM »

I though he was offering franchise on the name and setup ???

He was/still is - there's a Temple Gym opened up in Lanzarote (Canary Islands) and I think there's one in India too. Not sure if there's been any more since.