Author Topic: Progress in Iraq  (Read 5815 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Progress in Iraq
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 07:53:11 AM »
where are you getting these numbers?  I don't remember hearing about 30K US casualties....
Casualties are a mixture of fatalities and injuries (and missing and captured soldiers).  http://antiwar.com/casualties/  That site publishes the numbers from this site http://www.defenselink.mil/

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 08:13:11 AM »
Besides whining, nothing will come of this. What is important is whether we pull out, whether we stay, or whether we win. Much like the WMD's, important to find, but now that we didn't find them, we have to move on with reality.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
Besides whining, nothing will come of this. What is important is whether we pull out, whether we stay, or whether we win. Much like the WMD's, important to find, but now that we didn't find them, we have to move on with reality.
It's not whining dammit.  It's the law.  The law is worth only what we put into it.  Reality is unwarranted death and destruction continuing under this occupation.

I'm sorry you had to see me like this.

Whether we win?...I have yet to see this defined.  Who's your enemy?  The iraqi people with a few foreign fighters thrown in.  So I guess victory is beating the Iraqi people into submission to the american's will and by extension, the will of the installed government.  We're not doing the iraqi people any favors.

I'm not one for analogies but the US's invasion of Iraq is like a cop pulling over a driver suspected of DWI and the driver passes all field tests and breathalyzer tests yet the cop still arrests him for DWI, beats the shit out of the suspect, smashes up his car and then goes after his family before locking him up without rights and trial.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »
Who's fucking law..congress authorized it, The UN is not complaining...who. Just because the left is pissed and hates Bush, which is really why everybody is unhappy, does not mean its wrong. Further, i don't create foreign policy, I enforce the orders of the President. Its not my job to interpret foreign policy and selectively decide not to do something. Nobody is massaceing Iraqi's. They do enough of that themselves. I don't deliniate between foreign fighters and locals at my level. Thats for the Intel people to figure out. we report up what we find and we fight. They paint the big picture. I honestly don't care where the prick, who is trying to kill me, is from.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »
Who is comparing the US to Nazis? 

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but aren't you comparing our troops to the German soldiers who were "just following orders" during the Holocaust? 

Strictly speaking, if the invasion is held to be a war crime b/c it was a preventive attack, then the Nuremberg holdings (which are still relevant today) would apply.  And crimes against humanity do not stop at the executive branch.  They extend to the rank and file.

A soldier cannot absolve himself of responsibility by claiming "I was just following orders" or "I was just doing my job."   Those were not recognized defenses to the criminal charge at Nuremberg and I doubt they would fly today.

Decker your claim that the war is illegal just falls when apart when you look at the fact Congress endorsed the war after it started, more than once, and the fact the UN has not stated that the war is illegal.  The fact that other countries have been and continue to support the war kills that argument as well. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 10:02:27 AM »
Who's fucking law..congress authorized it, The UN is not complaining...who. Just because the left is pissed and hates Bush, which is really why everybody is unhappy, does not mean its wrong. Further, i don't create foreign policy, I enforce the orders of the President. Its not my job to interpret foreign policy and selectively decide not to do something. Nobody is massaceing Iraqi's. They do enough of that themselves. I don't deliniate between foreign fighters and locals at my level. Thats for the Intel people to figure out. we report up what we find and we fight. They paint the big picture. I honestly don't care where the prick, who is trying to kill me, is from.

What he said . . . .

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »
Decker's a nice guy but we always bog down on the "illiegal war" thing. I want to get past that and discuss other things. Much like we used to about 911 etc.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 10:29:14 AM »
Decker's a nice guy but we always bog down on the "illiegal war" thing. I want to get past that and discuss other things. Much like we used to about 911 etc.

I agree.  I like Decker.  He reminds me of The Professor from Gilligan's Island, who I always thought was really smart.   :)  (That's a compliment Decker.) 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 10:44:24 AM »
Who's law?  International law as embodied in various court holdings including the Nuremberg trials, the UN charter, various treaties, and most importantly, the United States Constitution. 

The US helped write the law that it is breaking and which you are mocking as inconsequential.

If you think this argument over Iraq boils down to the left hating Bush then you do not understand what's at issue.

Look at my post on the other page laying out why this war is illegal.  If you can refute it, then do it.  Otherwise you're avoiding the topic.

I disagree with your notion that being a soldier removes you from thinking about the moral or legal ramifications of your actions.  "Just following orders" is a cliche of evil.

I guess personal responsibility for one's actions by the president is just too much ask or expect.

The UN didn't complain about the legality of the war?  Of all the sophistry, this takes the cake.  The Secretary General called it illegal.  Member nations France, Germany and Russia pleaded with the Security Council to push for stringent inspections instead of all-out war.

Richard Perle--a main idea man behind the invasion--called it illegal. 

I suppose these hundreds and hundreds of legal scholars are wrong about the war's illegality? http://www.peacelawyers.ca/Documents/IALANA_appeal_Fb_2003.pdf
Signed by 350 Jurists and Lawyers from 40 countries

Signed by 1200 lawyers British and French Lawyers Statement European Lawyers: Appeal to the European Governments and the UN Security Council by European Association of Lawyers

LAWYERS' GROUPS CONDEMN U.S. WAR ON IRAQ AS CONTRARY TO UN CHARTER AND INTERNATIONAL LAW http://www.lcnp.org/global/IraqWar.htm

But what do lawyers know about the law?

The US Government still has issued no official statement as to the legality of the invasion.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 11:04:32 AM »
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but aren't you comparing our troops to the German soldiers who were "just following orders" during the Holocaust? 

Decker your claim that the war is illegal just falls when apart when you look at the fact Congress endorsed the war after it started, more than once, and the fact the UN has not stated that the war is illegal.  The fact that other countries have been and continue to support the war kills that argument as well. 
The defense of "just following orders" is a Nuremberg defense used at the war crimes trials.  It didn't fly then and it won't today.  This topic is incendiary enough without adding Nazis to the mix.

I wasn't aware that US Congressional approval conclusively determines legality in international law.  If that's the case then international lawyers have been doing it wrong since the start.

Here, I'll repost this part:

Congress’s “endorsement” of the war, at any time, is irrelevant to the legality of the invasion b/c Bush misused that authority by ordering the invasion when it was not necessary to command Iraq’s compliance with the resolution it was already cooperating with.  No self defense, no defense of another and no imminent attack by Iraq.

That adds up to an 'illegal' use of military force.

But you and HH are correct.  If things stay the same re the balance of power in the world, the US and Britain will get away with war crimes.  Why?  B/c we can blow anyone up that we want.

America already won't acknowledge the jurisdiction of the World Court b/c the US is #1 on the docket for terrorist activities in mining the harbors of Nicaruaga in the Reagan/Bush days.

Enjoy our standing as arbitrary ruler of the world.  I'm not fooled for a moment though.

God forbid, Russia, China and Iran adopt the Bush doctrine of pre-emptive war.  (really preventive, but at this point, who's counting?)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
I agree.  I like Decker.  He reminds me of The Professor from Gilligan's Island, who I always thought was really smart.   :)  (That's a compliment Decker.) 
mean, mean, mean, mean.....

But really, the reason why I enjoy this board so much is largely due to you and HH.

If we want reductionism, here it is:

The law in the abstract was violated by the US's invading Iraq.  The concrete reality of that law is that it has effect only if the US honors the law.  By virtue of its superior firepower, the US acknowledges international law only when it suits its purposes.

And as we know, that's not law.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »

That's the problem. You've been made into Bush's thug, when your job was to defend the USA and her constitution.
w

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »
mean, mean, mean, mean.....

But really, the reason why I enjoy this board so much is largely due to you and HH.

If we want reductionism, here it is:

The law in the abstract was violated by the US's invading Iraq.  The concrete reality of that law is that it has effect only if the US honors the law.  By virtue of its superior firepower, the US acknowledges international law only when it suits its purposes.

And as we know, that's not law.

what are you thoughts on afghanistan...since the only real govt they had was the taliban...and we basically invaded that country...was that too, illegal?
footloose and fancy free

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »

what are you thoughts on afghanistan...since the only real govt they had was the taliban...and we basically invaded that country...was that too, illegal?

Wasn't that UN sanctioned?
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »
See, while my boy Decker drowns us with legalize...You call me athug. He states its not because the Left hates Bush, but calling me a thug validates my claim. Know while Decker may have plenty of legal findings and petitions etc... would just tell him to get past it and allow me to break stuff in peace. Lawyers suck. We don't wipe our asses in Iraq withouta legal opinion, They have really taken the fun outa breaking shit.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 12:04:28 PM »
That's the problem. You've been made into Bush's thug, when your job was to defend the USA and her constitution.

i'm pretty sure canada is involved in this war on terror too...so they must be considered thugs also.
footloose and fancy free

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 12:08:02 PM »

i'm pretty sure canada is involved in this war on terror too...so they must be considered thugs also.

We didn't officially participate in Iraq.
w

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 12:11:19 PM »
We didn't officially participate in Iraq.

It's all one big ''war on terror''...you can't have it both ways...so canada supports the american agenda one way and not the other...so that absolves them of complicity?
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »
They have fought hard in Afghanistan where small units can make a difference.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 12:38:47 PM »
Oh come on.  Comparing our troops in Iraq to German soldiers during the Holocaust?  That's beyond absurd. 

Especially since the Germans lost, that's outrageous.

On to thugs...

From what I have read, in Chalmers Johnsons's books, no one is a thug when they let the laws work for them, he tried to twist and tangle that issue but how is it thuggish when it is legit? Also I'm tired of hearing people quote the founding fathers and taking things out of context. If an American dies by the hand of a nemesis, then that means we have enemies, period.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
No one is saying "America" doesn't have enemies, ...I just think that before one runs off half-cocked,
they ought to know exactly who their enemy is. Sometimes, the enemy comes from within.
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
Meaning Bush and the Republicans right ::)....it wouldn't be the rag wearing pricks who blew up our buildings on 911 or killed and maimed how mnay people over the last 30 years of this crap. They all gotta go.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 07:14:19 AM »

First my thoughts on the use of military force in Afghanistan.  International law did not define terrorist acts.  US law does, including a defintion of 'international terrorism' which the attacks of 9/11 match up with.  Terrorism is a police problem and the use of the military is not necessary or appropriate.  From that p.o.v., the use of military force by the US and Britain in Afghanistan was not appropriate.  Some 7500 civilians were killed in that attack...a small town wiped out.

9/11 was not an act of war under any legal definition b/c that would require state on state violence.  Terrorism was always handled as a police problem b/c legally it is not and cannot be an act of war.  The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was a state sanctioned attack.  9/11 was not.

The UN denied the US's request to use force against Afg. The UN charter, to which the US is a signatory, requires members to first attempt to settle international differences peacefully--negotiation, arbitration, judicial settlement or such.  The US did not do that.  When the Afghan government asked for a modicum of proof that Bin Laden was behind the 9/11 attacks, the US ignored the request and attacked Afghanistan without seeking other means of settling the dispute.

Article 51 of the Charter states that self-defense does not require UN Security approval for use of force b/c that is an "inherent right".  The right exists where there's an armed attack against the country. 

But this assertion also fails.  The UN denied the request for use of force and the right to use force in self defense (unilaterally) expires once the Security Council has acted.  As for the 'armed attack', the International Court of Justice (the UN's criminal court) has handled a case like this before.  Nicaragua asked for restitution from the Court for the US's support of the Contras (and mining of Nicaraguan harbors) in defending El Salvador from anti-governmental rebels allegedly assisted by the Nicaraguan government.  The IC rejected the US's contention of self-defense of El Salvador b/c the court "does not believe that the concept of 'armed attack' includes assistance to rebels in the form of the provision of weapons or logistical or other support."

If the IC did not recognize that instance as an armed attack, how on earth could it be concluded that the Taliban attacked the US b/c it is responsible for the actions of Al Qaeda?  It cannot.

Geoffrey Robertson, a leading authority on international law, said, "It cannot sensibly be asserted that invading Afghanistan is necessary to protect America." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1645564.stm

In 1985 Israel bombed a PLO headquarters in Tunisia claiming that it harbored terrorists.  The Security Council unanimously condemned that act.

Did the US attempt to settle this dispute by means alternative to military attack? No.

As you can see from my post, this is a very complex topic which provides terrific cover for someone asserting that we have been attacked in an act of war and our enemy is reachable so we must strike quickly.

This what I mean when I talk about the Bush administration's penchant for skirting, obfuscating and confusing the issues for political ends.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 08:44:21 AM »
Let me make it clear, Afghanistan is much better after the Taliban, much better. While we found no WMD's in Iraq, there were plenty of of AQ agents, including the guy who ran the whole 911 show, hiding in that country. We had every right to go after that guy and we made it clear that the Taliban should comply and turn him over. They did not, so they went to. No amount of legal gobbeldigook, will explain to a 9 year old girl that she's better off under international law and the Taliban, then the Bush doctrine and Karzi. They needed to go and they went. While i don't have alot of compassion for these people because they will stab u in the back ina minute, the kids want to be educated and get out of this  cycle.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007, 08:55:49 AM »
Let me make it clear, Afghanistan is much better after the Taliban, much better. While we found no WMD's in Iraq, there were plenty of of AQ agents, including the guy who ran the whole 911 show, hiding in that country. We had every right to go after that guy and we made it clear that the Taliban should comply and turn him over. They did not, so they went to. No amount of legal gobbeldigook, will explain to a 9 year old girl that she's better off under international law and the Taliban, then the Bush doctrine and Karzi. They needed to go and they went. While i don't have alot of compassion for these people because they will stab u in the back ina minute, the kids want to be educated and get out of this  cycle.

What about Bin Laden? I thought he perpetrated 9/11?  Why didn't we get him? That's where this whole thing lost credibility with me.

I don't agree with regime change and nation building...bush mentioned that during his run up to president that the us wouldn't be in the business of nation building..yet, 7 years later..that's exactly what we are doing...just like the cheney video where he stated that invading iraq would be a quagmire--he was right, yet he and his admin were the ones who invaded...i'm not into all the legal stuff..just common sense stuff for me.  Sure, we're helping out some afghani kid who was oppressed under the taliban but is it the united states' job to be the world police force? isn't that what the UN was supposed to do? We agreed to it, bought into the principles but don't always follow what we bought into? it doesn't make sense to me...If we are the world's police force then why haven't we invaded north korea and free them from oppression, or darfur, or somalia (oops, did that, didn't work) mexico (who has one of the most corrupt governments on the planet)---
footloose and fancy free