Author Topic: Army suicides highest in 26 years  (Read 1706 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Army suicides highest in 26 years
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:16:49 PM »
hope this POS war is really worth all this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/army_suicides

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: Army suicides highest in 26 years
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:45:42 PM »
hope this POS war is really worth all this...

might help if ya post a link with some facts

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:48:35 PM »
might help if ya post a link with some facts
Help What ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:43:36 AM »
It is what it is...there is no denying it. Hell I'm out of tolerance for my PTSD check-up. We'll see. We're doing the best we can but when u see what these guys are seeing and your away from family and the States, sometimes this appears to be a way out.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:41:23 AM »
It is what it is...there is no denying it. Hell I'm out of tolerance for my PTSD check-up. We'll see. We're doing the best we can but when u see what these guys are seeing and your away from family and the States, sometimes this appears to be a way out.

People do not understand the majority and rampant mental disorders from not just going to war but it's effects on the homefront. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »
It affects spouces, children etc...its bad. I'm not sure America cares. It will be a good plank for some Dem or Repub to use as a cause celeb, but nobody in the mainstream cares.
L

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:09:08 AM »
Give 'em all some Xanax

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:13:52 AM »
Yeah thats the general response
L

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:18:48 AM »
Yeah thats the general response

Really? That'll just make them worse..

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:29:01 AM »
Well we get briefs and seminars and all kinds of crap.....its to early to see if its working but whatever breakthrough they make will help mental disorders tremendously, just like trauma medicine is advancing because of the war in Iraq.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »
Suicide has been a problem for a very long time in the Army.  We had about five guys commit suicide in three years in my division.  None of them made news.  They would today. 

I hope they can get some help:

Failed personal relationships, legal and financial problems and the stress of their jobs were factors motivating the soldiers to commit suicide, according to the report. It also found a significant relationship between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan or nearby countries where troops were participating in the war effort.

There was "limited evidence" to back the suspicion that repeated deployments are putting more people at risk for suicide, the report said. With the Army stretched thin by years of fighting the two wars, the Pentagon has had to extend normal tours of duty this year to 15 months from 12 and has sent some troops back to the wars several times.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:35:59 AM »
Really? That'll just make them worse..

It's all about a quick fix. While my buddies were in Iraq, they said they were loaded with xanax, and had any and all pain meds at their fingertips.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 11:40:20 AM »
That depends on what unit you were with. Early in my last tour we could get anything but as we were leaving the new guys were dicks. We wanted sleeping pills for the flight..nada
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
It also found a significant relationship between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan or nearby countries where troops were participating in the war effort.

There was "limited evidence" to back the suspicion that repeated deployments are putting more people at risk for suicide, the report said.

Can someone explain how these two statements make any sense? on one hand they say they found siginificant relationship between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in iraq, afgh, etc...and on the other they say there is limited evidence to back the suspicion....

doesn't repeated deployments mean more days in iraq, afgh, etc so in essence the limited evidence really isn't so limited...or am i suffering from the 2pm mental crash? 
footloose and fancy free

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
Yeah Beach help rocky out....in any event guys are capping themselves in increasing numbers.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 12:04:49 PM »
It also found a significant relationship between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan or nearby countries where troops were participating in the war effort.

There was "limited evidence" to back the suspicion that repeated deployments are putting more people at risk for suicide, the report said.

Can someone explain how these two statements make any sense? on one hand they say they found siginificant relationship between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in iraq, afgh, etc...and on the other they say there is limited evidence to back the suspicion....

doesn't repeated deployments mean more days in iraq, afgh, etc so in essence the limited evidence really isn't so limited...or am i suffering from the 2pm mental crash? 

It does sound inconsistent.  A repeat deployment means more time on the ground and if there is a correlation between time on the ground and suicide then you would think redeployment does have a relationship to suicide. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »

... if you wanna play devil's advocate, here' a theory:

Most  of these reports are approved by the White House before they are released.

It has been widely reported, and seldom disputed, that the administration has made significant, agenda-friendly alterations to global warming and NASA reports before they were released to the media.

I would assume that the contradictory statements are a result of sloppy editing.

I posted something about a report the NYPD released yesterday that was filled with similar contradictions. It was obvious that a lot of the contradictions were the result of an attempt to appear PC.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »
Aren't suicides among military members actively participating in a prolonged war always higher than suicides during a time of peace?

I'd be interested to know the suicide statistics during other prolonged wars (Vietnam, Korea and WWII) we were involved in compared to suicide rates from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »
It's all about a quick fix. While my buddies were in Iraq, they said they were loaded with xanax, and had any and all pain meds at their fingertips.

Maybe they should switch to valium? j/k

Seriously, the government is so anti weed and alcohol these days.. But they give away brain and body numbing crap away like breath mints to people in serious need. I mean how are addictive prescription drugs going to help a solider?   :-\

This is my opinion. I think the service men should get psychological help from doctors/psychologists and stuff.. Sometimes the best to fix stuff is talk about it. It'd be better than Xanax. Maybe they already get this, I dunno. Head, speak on this.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 11:02:31 PM »
That's the difference between the Army and the Marines.

Army kills themselves and Marines kill the enemy.

Semper Fi bitches!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:58 PM »
CJ, yeah it helps but we are as a country, a military and the medical profession, unprepared for the waves of PTSD that we will see. If the brain suffers extreme stress, such as PTSD it can be physically damaged. Their just beginning to figure this out. Also guys who stay in have a built in support group, friends etc..that have faced the same thing. When u get out u loose that, and thats where the issues come in. A guy may go to his VA meeting once per week or whatever but he doesn't have his brother's around to reinforce him. I had one soldier who went every day to a group. The VA in Topeka, Ks has some very advanced methods and is leading the way, apparently. I'd rather talk about issues then dope guys...
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »
CJ, yeah it helps but we are as a country, a military and the medical profession, unprepared for the waves of PTSD that we will see. If the brain suffers extreme stress, such as PTSD it can be physically damaged. Their just beginning to figure this out. Also guys who stay in have a built in support group, friends etc..that have faced the same thing. When u get out u loose that, and thats where the issues come in. A guy may go to his VA meeting once per week or whatever but he doesn't have his brother's around to reinforce him. I had one soldier who went every day to a group. The VA in Topeka, Ks has some very advanced methods and is leading the way, apparently. I'd rather talk about issues then dope guys...

BS, they've known this for years! Records dating back all the way to the Spanish Inquisition and beyond.
This is not news to the military.
w