Author Topic: VET...need an opinion....  (Read 2655 times)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
VET...need an opinion....
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
on the supp. cosequin...for dogs.
footloose and fancy free

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: VET...need an opinion....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »
on the supp. cosequin...for dogs.

it's a joint health supplement for pets (it's essentially glucosamine)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »
it's a joint health supplement for pets (it's essentially glucosamine)

yes.

I've prescribed if for a fair number of dogs, cats, and other animals.  Why are you asking? 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
yeah..i know what it is..but is it effective? it's pricey so i want to know if it is as effective as the other products on the market?
footloose and fancy free

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:30:09 PM »
it is no more effective than glucosamine is for people.... some people claim it works miracles while others (like me) say it's a placebo...

i am NOT a vet, but my old (now dead) basset hound 'Charlie' had horrible joints and i used to give him half a bufferin every morning... it seemed to make it easier on him

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »
I would just get glucosamine/chondroitin at the health food store.  The dosage should/will be 1500mg/1200mg probably for 3 tabs.  That would be the human dosage - figure 150lbs.  So if your dog weighs 50lbs, give him one tab/day.

I used to give Keesha the same stuff I take.  I would grind up 7 tabs in a coffee grinder (only used for that and flax seed) weekly and sprinkle a small amount on her food daily.  It's tasteless.
:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »
it is no more effective than glucosamine is for people.... some people claim it works miracles while others (like me) say it's a placebo...
I apologize for the vague answers, but this is one of those "quality of life" drugs that is very very difficult to give recommendations on without knowing the owner, the dog, and the owners expectations.  I can post a bunch, but you might find out tha teverything I've said doesn't occur with your dog or the opposite, it all occurs with your dog. 

The problem is when you specifically start the drug.....  If there is radiographic evidence of joint changes, then its technically too late.  Unfortunately most cases of arthritis/dysplasia arent' diagnosed until there is radiographic evidence. 

Second it depends highly on individual factors such as diet of the dog, the owners expectations (ie is the dog a dog that runs 5 miles a day with the owner), the overall condition of the dog--ie a fat dog with early stage arthritis is very different than a lean/athletic one.  Remember you cannot turn back the hands of time.  Once there is boney changes, those changes are permenant and it becomes a fight to decrease abnormal bone proliferation. 

You can safely use the human versions of this drug--ie glucosamine/chondroitin, but don't just go get any old cheap brand.  My understanding is dogs molecularly need a smaller particle to successfully absorb it across the GI tract.  Many of the human products out there are crap--they won't work in humans much less dogs.  So you may see an effect with one product that you don't see with the other because of digestability.  Cosequin has been on the market for a long time and more or less proven itself as much as a product like this can prove itself. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:03:40 AM »
I have Emmett on Joint MAX TS (triple strenth), the chewies version.

It seems to have made a difference. His leg that had the tendon reattached when he was a puppy seems a bit stronger and he doesn't seem as stiff getting up. 

I considered human forms, but the dosage for a Great Dane is pretty high and getting all the capsules in him daily would be no fun for him (or me).  Sprinkling anything on his food doesn't work either because he won't eat it then.   Even with the chewies he will sometimes leave one of the 3 in his bowl and I have to stick it in his mouth and make sure he swallows it.  He will wait til I let go of his mouth and spit it out!!

They have the chews version and it's also in  a chewable tablet and a granule version.  I thought he would like the chews version better.  I get a 240 piece tub and I have him on 6 a day (3 & 3), will be going to 5 a day for maintenance soon. 

It also comes in regular strength and double strength also.

The cheapest place I found it was www.underbid.com .

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:32:22 AM »
I personally prefer adequan injections (this seems to be the most effective, but is more difficult to administer) into the joints themselves or IM, however getting adequan seems to be somewhat difficult right now---I'm still waiting for an order for my older female.

Oral glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin supplements arent going to hurt as far as I know.  The bullshit with humans and glucosamine causing/affecting diabetes still hasn't been proven to the best of my knowledge and there is no association with dogs with those claims.    The fact is that for many, many dogs with chronic joint disease they seem to help, so I'd consider them for my own animals. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:52:52 AM »
I had considered Adequan in the past for Emmett.  I have heard the injections hurt like hell/sting.  I guess a vet gave himself an injection or something.   ;D

Could you verify that for us?
  8)