Author Topic: Financial Pressures Force Snow Departure  (Read 1168 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Financial Pressures Force Snow Departure
« on: August 17, 2007, 05:02:31 PM »
Financial Pressures Force Snow Departure

By TERENCE HUNT, The Associated Press
Friday, August 17, 2007; 6:39 PM

WASHINGTON -- White House press secretary Tony Snow said Friday he'll leave before the end of the Bush presidency because he needs to make more money.

"I'm going to stay as long as I can," he said without elaborating on a departure date.

Snow's comment caught White House colleagues by surprise, and they said they could not hazard a guess about when he might leave.

The 52-year-old Snow, the father of three children, earns $168,000 as an assistant to the president but made considerably more as a conservative pundit and syndicated talk-show host on Fox News Radio. He was named press secretary on April 26, 2006.

White House press secretaries in recent administrations have found the speechmaking circuit to be lucrative once they've stepped down. Snow was eagerly sought by Republican audiences before the elections last year, and in a break with tradition he made a number of fundraising speeches for GOP candidates.

The White House has been shaken by the resignations of some of President Bush's closest aides. Political strategist Karl Rove announced Monday that he would leave at the end of the month. Others who have left since Democrats won control of Congress are counselor Dan Bartlett, chief White House attorney Harriet Miers, budget director Rob Portman, political director Sara Taylor, deputy national security adviser J.D. Crouch and Meghan O'Sullivan, another deputy national security adviser who worked on Iraq.

Bush's term ends on Jan. 20, 2009.

"I will not be able to make it to the end of this administration, just financially," Snow said. "This job has been such a pleasant surprise in how much I like it. I love it."

Snow has been undergoing chemotherapy after doctors discovered a recurrence of colon cancer in March. He said the last of eight scheduled chemotherapy treatments would be on Friday. On Monday he will have a CAT scan to evaluate his progress.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Financial Pressures Force Snow Departure
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:04:58 PM »
We are all sorry about his cancer, but this guy is an asshole.  He knew what the job paid before he took it and he knew that the White House needed a good press secretary.  Now, he is jumping ship to troll for more money as the ship is sinking.   :(

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »
He did his stint, ...made his sacrifice knowing what the job paid, ...now he's moving on to the next phase,
...cashing in on the sacrifice while he still can. You know what they say in business... Timing is everything!  :D
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »
He did his stint, ...made his sacrifice knowing what the job paid, ...now he's moving on to the next phase,
...cashing in on the sacrifice while he still can. You know what they say in business... Timing is everything!  :D

How many weeks was he actually on the job?  Between his sick leave and early departure he was more absent than present.  Doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to me. ::)

Not that it matters.  No amount of spin can rescue the worst administration ever (according to a survey of historians).

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
How many weeks was he actually on the job?  Between his sick leave and early departure he was more absent than present.  Doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to me. ::)

Not that it matters.  No amount of spin can rescue the worst administration ever (according to a survey of historians).

A man's reputation has to count for something, ...and when you get into bed with the dirtiest of mongrel beasts,
those fleas tend to stick around for a while. Bestiality does have it's price. I hope he will find the payoff worth it.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 12:17:57 AM »
We are all sorry about his cancer

::) 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »
::) 

Why the eye roll? You don't think a gay man can be sympathetic towards someone with cancer of the pooper?
I'd think a gay man would be especially sympathetic there, ...no?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »
Why the eye roll? You don't think a gay man can be sympathetic towards someone with cancer of the pooper?
I'd think a gay man would be especially sympathetic there, ...no?

::)   ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 12:18:21 PM »
::)   ::)

One of these days Ron is going to disable the eye roll smiley, ...and then where would you be?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
One of these days Ron is going to disable the eye roll smiley, ...and then where would you be?

Crippled in my ability to quickly and succinctly dismiss your drivel? 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 12:29:21 PM »
Crippled in my ability to quickly and succinctly dismiss your drivel? 

BZZZZ wrong answer... would you like to try again?
w