Author Topic: Demilia's MMA Event Cancelled  (Read 5892 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Demilia's MMA Event Cancelled
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 07:46:22 PM »
Keith,

Serious question because you're somebody who knows.
1) When a promoter books an expensive venue like Mohegan Sun, purchases insurance, spends money on promotion and advertising, pays travel expenses for the athletes and their entourages, and the event fails to come off, approximately how much money does the promoter lose?
2) Even if 3 of the 8 bouts were cancelled, what sense does it make calling off the event hours before the gates open?
3) Either way, the customers who bought tickets are feeling ripped off, so can we assume that cancelling the event saves SOME money for the promoter?
4) Having cancelled their first MMA show under the GFC name, is it possible to come back using the same name in this day and age of internet gossip and word of the cancellation spreading globally?

Thanks!

Not sure how serious you are because I think things like this you would know.

1.  You can purchase event insurance.  If not I would say you lose everything you spent.  Not sure how much the Sun cost but my venue cost $48,000 for 2 days.  ANd that is just for an empty shell.  you have convention services for the booths, setup chairs, security, shipping, steerage and other costs.  I am pretty sure Wayne didn't do this show to cancel it and lose all this money.  But, the guys who think he did re the same idiots who have never done anything.
2.  I think this was a bad call.  there has to have been some local fighters or someone nearby that would take a fight at a short notice.  He made a huge stake cancelling and I bet there will be some legal action taken.  WHo knows.
3. I would think if he cancelled the show the ticket company may refund the price but not sure.  Generally I think refunds would only occur from acts of god
4. Boy not sure.  I think he is going to be in for a rough ride.  he should do a free show and try to get good fighters in, try to absorb costs with sponsors or his own money.  But to try and put another show on and charge is going to be very hard.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »

2.  I think this was a bad call.  there has to have been some local fighters or someone nearby that would take a fight at a short notice.  He made a huge stake cancelling and I bet there will be some legal action taken.  WHo knows.

I was thinking this myself. Most people who go to MMA aren't familiar with many of the fighters they see. So, putting some unknowns on the card wouldn't have been disasterous. Sometimes, the unknowns put on a better show than the big names. Demillia could've offered the customers a choice of a refund or seeing the show at a reduced price. IMO almost everyone there would've stayed. But, to cancel the first show, the expression "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression" comes to mind.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »

1.  You can purchase event insurance.  If not I would say you lose everything you spent.  Not sure how much the Sun cost but my venue cost $48,000 for 2 days.  ANd that is just for an empty shell.  you have convention services for the booths, setup chairs, security, shipping, steerage and other costs.  I am pretty sure Wayne didn't do this show to cancel it and lose all this money.  But, the guys who think he did re the same idiots who have never done anything.
3. I would think if he cancelled the show the ticket company may refund the price but not sure.  Generally I think refunds would only occur from acts of god
4. Boy not sure.  I think he is going to be in for a rough ride.  he should do a free show and try to get good fighters in, try to absorb costs with sponsors or his own money.  But to try and put another show on and charge is going to be very hard.
Thanks Keith. I was being serious. I don't know much about the costs of staging events like this. So if insurance covers everything, then you're saying that Wayne probably only lost his insurance premium of a couple grand.
BigNationRadio.com

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 05:04:50 AM »
Yes, a man of your girth needs the help of buoyancy ever chance he can get.

Are you saying when Onlymen tells you to flip burgers, he's talking about this one cause he feels like a snack, BD? ;D

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 07:45:57 AM »
onlyme

i agree with a lot of what you're saying and i respect your loyalty to your friend, but as you say wayne made a bad mistake.

now forgive me because i don't know wayne from a bar of soap, but i just see shit promotion written all over this.

1. promoting something you know very little about.

2. signing some of the most unreliable fighters in the business (refer point 1).

3. not keeping the fans abreast of what was happening until last minute.

4. hopelessly inadequate promoting and communication with the actual fighters. this is extremely important because fighters are generally pretty insecure to start with, but i know how a pro fighter thinks and fighters as a rule would trust an ex bbing promoter as cold as demilla comes across less than they would trust a murderer. case in point, don king. guys like king and white treat their fighters like their children, whether they are sincere or not, good fight promoters keep REGULAR CONTACT WITH THE FIGHTERS and practically blow them to earn their trust. i'm sure you remember king practically adopting tyson and moving him into his own house (funnily enough, just like d'amato did - 'fighters are like children' ;)) it seems unbelievable to me given all the talk of demilla's promoting skills that he didn't pull out all the stops on this one, given it was his 1st mma show and that he would be judged by it (first impressions)

5. a fighter is as good as his last fight (especially to mma fans). a local fighter with a zero record could make fans instantly by simply fighting his heart out on the night. hell fans will watch 2 bums on the street if they see two guys with a heart beat (again, refer point 1).

not being negative keith, you know i respect you but, as i said, i don't know wayne so maybe you can shed some light on what's up with him ???

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2007, 08:16:59 AM »
Are you saying when Onlymen tells you to flip burgers, he's talking about this one cause he feels like a snack, BD? ;D

I'm saying that there is no ice melting causing water levels to rise, it's just Onlyme going diving.