Author Topic: What year did BODYBUILDING die ???  (Read 8941 times)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
Re: What year did BODYBUILDING die ???
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »
lmfao dominate

Quote Flex Dec 1995

" In 1994 , he ( Dorian ) was admittedly not at his best , but he was still the best bodybuilder onstage that day. No one not even runner-up Shawn Ray,disagreed with that stance on the night of Yates' threepeat. "

quote Shawn Ray Flex Jan 1995 " Tonight I feel I got what I deserved "

go away with your nonsense , dominate Ha !!

I love how you pick my post to comment on, but are too much of a fucking coward to do the same with anyone else who posts the same thing..

::)

what a pussy. :-\
Flower Boy Ran Away

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2007, 03:06:27 PM »
I don't know when, I know was reborn on the day when Wayne D was faired.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 03:20:54 PM »
I love how you pick my post to comment on, but are too much of a fucking coward to do the same with anyone else who posts the same thing..

::)

what a pussy. :-\

Oh yeas I'm so scared  ::) I just love correcting you  ;)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »
lmfao dominate

Quote Flex Dec 1995

" In 1994 , he ( Dorian ) was admittedly not at his best , but he was still the best bodybuilder onstage that day. No one not even runner-up Shawn Ray,disagreed with that stance on the night of Yates' threepeat. "

quote Shawn Ray Flex Jan 1995 " Tonight I feel I got what I deserved "

go away with your nonsense , dominate Ha !!

It's called modesty..

Sean was being humble.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2007, 02:39:51 AM »

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2007, 02:58:31 AM »
In the 80's the Mr. O was on network television. It was then relegated to cable. Now, there isn't a single bodybuilding competition broadcast on television. There also used to be bodybuilding training show on ESPN, as well as one on MSG which was hosted by Tom Terwilliger. Those have disappeared.

Back in the day, I went to a Night of Champions show in the Beacon Theatre, which seats about 4K. The evening show was sold out. Now, that same event is held in a 1000 seat venue.

Bodybuilding isn't dead, but there's no denying that it has declined in popularity in recent times.

Great post ! My words exactly ! 

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2007, 03:45:47 AM »
It's called modesty..

Sean was being humble.

he was also thinking about his career.

you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

LOL ND OWNED yet again by the getbiggers...

he really has no clue.. :-\
Flower Boy Ran Away

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2007, 04:21:20 AM »
When Tom Prince nearly died for you bitches.
Even though he was on everything and nailed his coffin with excessiveness.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 08:09:24 AM »
When Tom Prince nearly died for you bitches.
Even though he was on everything and nailed his coffin with excessiveness.
He has some insane hams

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
My 2c worth: Men's pro bodybuilding started to die when Lee Haney won the Mr. O in 1984.  He won with a massive back & started a "reign" of mediocrity at the top level of the IFBB which Dorian & Ronnie continued.  Shape took a backseat to thickness & mass.  The O stopped being interesting when it became a carbon cutout of the previous year over & over. 

Meanwhile, men's amateur bodybuilding has thrived since then.  & there are pros like Ronnie Rockel who still hark back to the good ole days. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
It's called modesty..

Sean was being humble.

LMFAO at Shawn being humble thats a contradiction , Shawn was never known for holding his tongue and ask any reporter back then if you ask Shawn for his reaction be prepared to stay a while , so spare me the bullshit modesty excuse , he was soundly defeated in 1994 and was lucky to place second !

The Coach

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »

Meanwhile, men's amateur bodybuilding has thrived since then. 

"Thrived since then"? Where? how?

After Yates won his first Olympia, BBing took a complete nosedive, quality of physiques started going down, media coverage became almost non-existant, G4P became an acceptable open business with no repercussion on the violated written rules, mainstream now thinks that BBing is a circus side show for steriod abusers....geez dude, I could keep going if I wanted but I might get carpeltunnel from all the typing I would have to do~!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2007, 11:51:07 AM »
"Thrived since then"? Where? how?

After Yates won his first Olympia, BBing took a complete nosedive, quality of physiques started going down, media coverage became almost non-existant, G4P became an acceptable open business with no repercussion on the violated written rules, mainstream now thinks that BBing is a circus side show for steriod abusers....geez dude, I could keep going if I wanted but I might get carpeltunnel from all the typing I would have to do~!

The quality of physiques were at their highest at Yates reign , the 90s is the pinnacle of conditioned mass , truth be told once Coleman took over soon after all the good physiques of the 90s retired and Ronnie dominated past their prime guys Yates dominated , and who was Ronnie's competition? Dexter Jackson and Cutler lol give me a break .

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
1993. Dorian took bodybuilding as far as it could go and looked as good as a human male is ever going to look - but from 94 it, [and he], became a disgusting, bloated, insulin addled joke. Ronnie made things even worse. Words can't describe the abomination that is Cutler.

So in 93 BB was great, and in 94 it was 'disgusting, bloated'.. that's one comprehensive and mature overview. Are you sure it literally flipped 100% in one year?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2007, 11:59:10 AM »
So in 93 BB was great, and in 94 it was 'disgusting, bloated'.. that's one comprehensive and mature overview. Are you sure it literally flipped 100% in one year?

Yates 1994

The Coach

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2007, 11:59:23 AM »
The quality of physiques were at their highest at Yates reign , the 90s is the pinnacle of conditioned mass , truth be told once Coleman took over soon after all the good physiques of the 90s retired and Ronnie dominated past their prime guys Yates dominated , and who was Ronnie's competition? Dexter Jackson and Cutler lol give me a break .

I agree on some this, but Yates set the standard for the "size" game, destended stomachs and lack of symmetry, since Yates, competitors had to start stepping it up a notch as far as size goes and almost completly disreguarding symmetry, how many times did Shawn get screwed against Yates?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2007, 12:02:21 PM »
it has never "lived"?

has allways been a subculture and general public has never understood it or never will...

get over it  ;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2007, 12:04:22 PM »
I agree on some this, but Yates set the standard for the "size" game, destended stomachs and lack of symmetry, since Yates, competitors had to start stepping it up a notch as far as size goes and almost completly disreguarding symmetry, how many times did Shawn get screwed against Yates?

Yates could carry lots of size and still look great for it , all the guys who tried to play catch-up went past their abilities to carry mass and Shawn NEVER got screwed he was never going to be Mr Olympia , he cried he got screwed with Haney , Yates and Ronnie , he's 5'7" and 205 pounds the 70s were over his window of opportunity to become Mr Olympia died when Samir lost to Haney

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
it has never "lived"?

has allways been a subculture and general public has never understood it or never will...

get over it  ;D
I agree, bbing has never been mainstream, always been a cult. That is what makes it great it isnt like anything else

The Coach

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2007, 12:25:36 PM »
Yates could carry lots of size and still look great for it , all the guys who tried to play catch-up went past their abilities to carry mass and Shawn NEVER got screwed he was never going to be Mr Olympia , he cried he got screwed with Haney , Yates and Ronnie , he's 5'7" and 205 pounds the 70s were over his window of opportunity to become Mr Olympia died when Samir lost to Haney

Sorry dude, but BBing is about size, symmetry and conditioning and having little to no flaws, Yates was huge and got hard as hell but toward the last years of his career, he got caught up on being bigger and bigger and lost his sharpness and almost any straiation he might have had before, Shawn had all of that and there are pics floating of him completly owning Yates........dude, get off the size thing, thats not all of what BBing should be about!

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »
at the latest when Yates got to be Mr. O.

Concur.

R.I.P

The Coach

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2007, 12:29:27 PM »
I agree, bbing has never been mainstream, always been a cult. That is what makes it great it isnt like anything else

There were times way back when, people wanted to look like Reeves or Arnold or almost anyone from the sixties or seventies. There were BBers in movies all the time.....it was mainstream, it showed BBing with some dignity, now.......... :-\

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2007, 12:32:29 PM »
Then we need bbers in movies again. AND not kevin with his fag sweater in the middle of summer

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
The minute Arnold called it quits. Interest dwindled down to what it is...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2007, 02:21:42 PM »
Sorry dude, but BBing is about size, symmetry and conditioning and having little to no flaws, Yates was huge and got hard as hell but toward the last years of his career, he got caught up on being bigger and bigger and lost his sharpness and almost any straiation he might have had before, Shawn had all of that and there are pics floating of him completly owning Yates........dude, get off the size thing, thats not all of what BBing should be about!

The irony of you telling me to get off the size thing , I ( especially me ) know its not all about size but you're wrong Yates typically stayed between 257-265 pounds his Olympia career whole career , so he roughly stayed around the same weight give or take 10 pounds  , with the exception of 1992 he was 242 pounds and very depleted and conditioning was never an issue for Dorian not even at his biggest which was 1997 he was still bone dry and rock hard his problems weren't to much size and conditioning it was torn muscles and he had the same striations in 91 and in 97

I know its not about size and it shouldn't be about size but I'm only commenting on what is not what should be , and you look at history the last Mr Olympia around 200 pounds was Samir Bannout in 1983 , the trend was going up starting with Haney , then Yates and Ronnie . Shawn was 5'7" and weighed 205 pounds he was competing in the time of the giants in 1994 which some harp on as Shawn's Olympia it wasn't even close , Dorian was 262 pounds Vs Shawn's 205 pounds thats almost a 60 pound muscle advantage he wasn't compensating for that

The same with Lee Labrada Vs Haney it wasn't a small mans game anymore , Shawn would have flourished in the 1970s very early 1980s he was born for the wrong era , 1994 Mr Olympia wasn't a contest on paper or off Shawn Ray was very lucky to place second place , he only beat Levrone by virtue of a better posing routine not by virtue of his physique because after the pre-judging Shawn was trailing Kevin for second place ( a distant second I might add ) 1994 was a close contest after all , close between second and third , Dorian was clearly ahead of the two , and this is a quote from Shawn post-contest

Flex magazine January 1995 Shawn Ray

Dorian was a bigger version of what he's been. I'm not a fan in the sense that his physique is something I aspire to attain. Dorian is in his own class and in his own little world. For that reason, there's nobody they can compare like-to-like with Dorian. They can only bring forward a different package.

( 1994 Mr Olympia ) Tonight I feel that I got what I deserved. With a beaming smile , Shawn concluded: " This is the first time in three years I haven't ' retired ' the night of the show and got drunk. "