Author Topic: Deep Fried Oreos  (Read 1187 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Deep Fried Oreos
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:48:15 AM »
Today in the Times, we get a story about the Indiana State Fair. County officials are following New York's lead and banning the use of trans-fats in food preparation. Bear in mind, that these foods include deep fried oreos, deep fried snickers and deep fried ho hos.

One of the vendors in the article noted the inconsistency of banning trans fats when margarine was not affected by the ban and is still used in some of the recipes. The same vendor also made this observation:

“They’re using this for a marketing ploy. It’s a way to convince people that they can eat more — that somehow all of this is safe now and you can eat all you want — when we all know that’s not true.”

He seems to have a point. Earlier in the article, the writer noted this:

fairgoers seemed pleased with the switch. The food tasted the same, they said happily. And if this meant they could indulge without guilt or have one more helping, so much the better.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Deep Fried Oreos
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:00:24 PM »
gross...  :-X

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:21:38 PM »
Today in the Times, we get a story about the Indiana State Fair. County officials are following New York's lead and banning the use of trans-fats in food preparation. Bear in mind, that these foods include deep fried oreos, deep fried snickers and deep fried ho hos.

One of the vendors in the article noted the inconsistency of banning trans fats when margarine was not affected by the ban and is still used in some of the recipes. The same vendor also made this observation:

He seems to have a point. Earlier in the article, the writer noted this:

A deep fried cookie or candy bar just doesn't sound all that appealing.   :-X

amc1980

• Getbig III
  • Thats a special hat, Spirit, give it baaaaack!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:22:17 AM »
They have been serving these for years in Scotland. They even deep fry mince pies and pizza. :-X

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 03:21:53 AM »
They have been serving these for years in Scotland. They even deep fry mince pies and pizza. :-X

Yeah the Scottish deep fried Mars/Snickers bar is famous

Never had one tho, have you?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

amc1980

• Getbig III
  • Thats a special hat, Spirit, give it baaaaack!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:53:32 PM »
Yeah the Scottish deep fried Mars/Snickers bar is famous

Never had one tho, have you?

Nah, I've only ever seen them advertised once and it didn't appeal to me.

I only go in the chippy when I'm drunk and craving a kebab.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 04:05:41 PM »
Nah, I've only ever seen them advertised once and it didn't appeal to me.

I only go in the chippy when I'm drunk and craving a kebab.

I was raised in Ohio and I've had these types of foods at county fairs.

I know they don't really sound appealing, but the thing you have to understand is that they sort of change texture when they are deep fried. The snickers is coated in pancake batter like a corndog and it melts. It doesn't get hot but it gets sort of gooey. It's like a warm fudge-cicle. The oreos taste like brownies with cream in them. They become soft when you fry them. I"ve never had ho ho or twinkies.