Author Topic: most Protein powders lie about their contents!!  (Read 3358 times)

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
most Protein powders lie about their contents!!
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
I know its not new for most around here when it comes to wonder how accurate the amount of protein in every brand out there but i think that is more of a fraud that anyone can really think....

I bought a 5 lbs. bucket of Whey protein 23 grams per serving, but by the the looks and taste i doubt there's even a gram of pure whey there!

just taste like cocoa and the way it mixed with water or milk its very suspicious too!!

crimson labs its the brand!! has anyone heard of it??

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: most Protein powders lie about their contents!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
crimson labs its the brand!! has anyone heard of it??

That should have been your first clue...I've never heard of Crimson Labs.
Stick with a more well known/tried & true, reputable company.

True Protein, Protein Factory (though there's been some doubt of their stuff too), or Blackstar Labs are a couple of good ones to start with....

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:59:28 PM »
Can't go wrong with Muscle Milk, Whey Gourmet or Isoflex

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:21:50 PM »
I would never use protein powder, hell I get more protein than I could ever need by eating real food cock. Protein powder is the biggest scam since the federal income tax was created.

fixed

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:35:13 AM »
Thank you, I knew I forgot to add that.........finger licking good.

you are such a fag...
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:51:21 AM »
I would never use protein powder, hell I get more protein than I could ever need by eating real food. Protein powder is the biggest scam since the federal income tax was created.

true.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 05:51:49 AM »
I would never use protein powder, hell I get more protein than I could ever need by eating real food. Protein powder is the biggest scam since the federal income tax was created.
First off thats retarded

its seems like everyone wants to bash protein powders cause its teh trendy thing to do and it makes you look so much more hardcore---"all I need is real food" ::)

I agree with people that your diet should'nt be predicated around protein shakes---------------------------but the fact is they are convientent when in a rush and whey protein and some of the casiens and milk proteins are very digestible and high in amino acids

Its called a supplement for a reason----------its only meant to supplement your diet, not be teh foundation of it

thus protein powders=good thing

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 06:11:23 AM »
First off thats retarded

its seems like everyone wants to bash protein powders cause its teh trendy thing to do and it makes you look so much more hardcore---"all I need is real food" ::)

I agree with people that your diet should'nt be predicated around protein shakes---------------------------but the fact is they are convientent when in a rush and whey protein and some of the casiens and milk proteins are very digestible and high in amino acids

Its called a supplement for a reason----------its only meant to supplement your diet, not be teh foundation of it

thus protein powders=good thing

Agree 100% mate. As to the original poster, all protein powders are essentially the same dude. The protein gets separated from milk during the production of cheese. They used to throw it away up until a few years ago ;D until someone discovered it's very nutritious etc. All the different companies do is do some filtration, add some flavor and perhaps other 'anabolic ingredients' like Creatine, slap it in a container and ship it off.

Now Mega Mass 5000 is a different story ::)

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:17:34 AM »
First off thats retarded

Yeah but the biggest retard on the internet wrote it... what else can one expect.

Too scared to ever post a pic, just an arm chair critic living his dreams thru the net.

JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:22:25 AM »
Well i do agree with Patrick on that, we as bodybuilders already get more then enough protein from normal food. its the mags that promote it to keep their sponsors happy, i do take whey but just for the ease of it. sometimes my sweat smells like ammonia, sign that the intake of protein is way too high or theres a shortage of carb intake and the last is not the case.

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 06:23:44 AM »
more than two serves animal meat per day every day has been proven bad for the liver (or kidneys, cant remember which one). thats where shakes help.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 06:23:55 AM »
Agree 100% mate. As to the original poster, all protein powders are essentially the same dude. The protein gets separated during the production of cheese. They used to throw it away up until a few years ago ;D until someone discovered it's very nutritious etc. All the different companies do is do some filtration, add some flavor and perhaps other 'anabolic ingredients' like Creatine, slap it in a container and ship it off.

Now Mega Mass 5000 is a different story ::)

yep. everyone these days is hardcore "only real foods bro"

In all fairness I haven't a had protein itself in a long time, I mostly use protein as part of my PWO shake.

but as the other guy points outs it is a supplement and should be used as such. When I use to travel alot for work protein shakes were a stead part of my diet, I didn't want to eat fast food.
Here comes the money shot

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:24:27 AM »
Well i do agree with Patrick on that, we as bodybuilders already get more then enough protein from normal food. its the mags that promote it to keep their sponsors happy, i do take whey but just for the ease of it. sometimes my sweat smells like ammonia, sign that the intake of protein is way too high or theres a shortage of carb intake and the last is not the case.

Are you saying there's companies out there that suggest we consume almost as much protein as bigmc consumes straight off the tap, Mars?

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 06:25:42 AM »
big mac is on the semen infuse 24 hours a day i can't blame him for looking that skinny, he doesn;t even have the time to train.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »
I use ON Whey protein..taste pretty good

I am thinking of switching to Casein Protein, that seems to be in thing this time. Can anyone elaborate casein vs whey?

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 06:30:13 AM »

I am thinking of switching to Casein Protein, that seems to be in thing this time. Can anyone elaborate casein vs whey?

get high quality isolate and eat it with healthy fats to slow absorption.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 06:33:11 AM »

There is a slight difference in the way they are assimilated by your body - but when you take around 200 gms a day, all that doesn't make a difference. Casein takes longer to break down so it gives you a 'sustained release' of amino acids as opposed to Whey which gets broken down and dumped into the gut / bloodstream at a (relatively) much faster rate. But again, all this doesn't make a difference when you mix the protein with milk and take it as part of a meal in which there's fibrous food like veges or whatever cause they all slow the digestion and prolong it a bit

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 06:34:57 AM »
kiwiol,

do u have any knowledge about animal meats and affect on liver/kidneys.

i read several studies that showed animal meat more than twice was bad for them
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »
kiwiol,

do u have any knowledge about animal meats and affect on liver/kidneys.

i read several studies that showed animal meat more than twice was bad for them

I personally think it all boils down to genetic predisposition mate. Plus, we are all going to die someday anyway right? ;D

What I mean to say is that there are records of people in their early 30s or 20s being healthy, fit with no substance abuse going out for a jog one day and just having a heart attack and dying. On the other end of the scale, there's real strong and healthy people who live well into their 80s or 90s, chain smoke, consume tons of alcohol, have 'bad' food habits etc

In other words, just keep doing what you want as long as it's sensible. When your time's up, your time's up

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 06:51:36 AM »

In other words, just keep doing what you want as long as it's sensible. When your time's up, your time's up

cool thanks, reading those studies made me paranoid!
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:58 AM »
There is a slight difference in the way they are assimilated by your body - but when you take over 200 gms a day, all that doesn't make a difference. Casein takes longer to break down so it gives you a 'sustained release' of amino acids as opposed to Whey which gets broken down and dumped into the gut / bloodstream at a (relatively) much faster rate. But again, all this doesn't make a difference when you mix the protein with milk and take it as part of a meal in which there's fibrous food like veges or whatever cause they all slow the digestion and prolong it a bit

no way that I am hear 200grams a day..and I seldom use protein shakes..

but I will give the casein a shot..cost more than ON whey though.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 06:59:10 AM »
cool thanks, reading those studies made me paranoid!

I've done a few myself cause I studied Environmental engineering and Molecular biology, although I'm too lazy to practice either ;D. I'm talking lab work.

The problem with the interpretation of results is that it can only show you where you stand in respect to the average or median which is ridiculous cause for some people, having higher or lower levels of whatever substance in their body could be a key to their survival. But if you compare them to the safe ::) 'acceptable' values, the numbers would be off the charts and they will be declared 'unhealthy' even though they are fit as a fiddle.

Most of 'RDI, Acceptable values' etc are all a load of shit anyway. The RDI is actually based on the needs of post menopausal women a lot of times believe it or not. To give you an example, according to the RDI, we need to consume around 60 gms of protein a day.

You are your own person with your own unique biological profile that'll determine your tolerance level for every substance. What I'm trying to say is that just try and be sensible about eating rather than worry about how many grams per pound of bodyweight etc

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 07:02:15 AM »
cool kiwiol thanks.

by the way, one thing i didnt understand was, are eggs included as the same as the protein from animal meat (cos thats what i read caused the issue the processing of animal meat)...might sound dumb but this confused me.

i think im fine, cos on days i have eggs for protein, i hardly have any meat. when i dont have eggs i have more meat servings.

thanks for the info
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 07:09:32 AM »
cool kiwiol thanks.

by the way, one thing i didnt understand was, are eggs included as the same as the protein from animal meat (cos thats what i read caused the issue the processing of animal meat)...might sound dumb but this confused me.

i think im fine, cos on days i have eggs for protein, i hardly have any meat. when i dont have eggs i have more meat servings.

thanks for the info

I don't know if it's 'Info' lol - it's just my theory based on my own observations that doesn't contradict reality as far as I can see.

Again, with the egg protein and stuff, it doesn't matter cause your body combines amino acids (among other nutrients) from different sources so the intrinsic value or quantity of the protein consumed doesn't matter overall in any significant way.

That's why you can build muscle on a vegetarian diet even though animal protein is way denser, nutritious or at least, conducive to muscle building. All you have to do is consume milk or eggs enough and your body combines the proteins /amino acids so it ultimately gets a 'complete' protein 

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 07:10:10 AM »
I don't know if it's 'Info' lol - it's just my theory based on my own observations that doesn't contradict reality as far as I can see.

Again, with the egg protein and stuff, it doesn't matter cause your body combines amino acids (among other nutrients) from different sources so the intrinsic value or quantity of the protein consumed doesn't matter overall in any significant way.

That's why you can build muscle on a vegetarian diet even though animal protein is way denser, nutritious or at least, conducive to muscle building. All you have to do is consume milk or eggs enough and your body combines the proteins /amino acids so it ultimately gets a 'complete' protein 

with all of this knowledge why is your gut 42"?