Author Topic: Most US adults in the dark about world politics  (Read 1376 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Most US adults in the dark about world politics
« on: August 22, 2007, 07:28:48 AM »
Two-thirds of US adults admit to being in the dark about political issues outside the United States, and only a third are well-versed in US politics, the results of a poll published Tuesday showed.......

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070822064927.3gb131i5&show_article=1

I think we can all draw something from this. My point would be about the war and nobody caring or even understanding what we're doing over there...right or wrong.
L

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Most US adults in the dark about world politics
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:39:20 AM »
From my interaction with Americans I would say this also relates to general knowledge.

You guys just seem to educate yourselves in a single area, and everything else seems to suffer.

Could just be the limited selection I've met tho.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 07:58:28 AM »
Two-thirds of US adults admit to being in the dark about political issues outside the United States, and only a third are well-versed in US politics, the results of a poll published Tuesday showed.......

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070822064927.3gb131i5&show_article=1

I think we can all draw something from this. My point would be about the war and nobody caring or even understanding what we're doing over there...right or wrong.
and if you think those two thirds were wise to world politics they'd be for the war :-\ lol... I think likely there would be a chance.  and I've heard several troops come home and say they don't know what we're doing over there, that they did when they went but now they're like wtf???

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:57 AM »
Yeah.....here's the thing, there is a huge difference between driving down a road and getting IED'd and actively engaging the enemy. There is nothing u can do about an IED except if you're in a HRAP, maybe. Besides mounted patrols are almost counter productive. U feel helpless and worthless. If all u do is drive and watch ur buddies get blown up, i  would feel the same way.
L

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
From my interaction with Americans I would say this also relates to general knowledge.

You guys just seem to educate yourselves in a single area, and everything else seems to suffer.

Could just be the limited selection I've met tho.

This is true..

There was a study done and most incoming college freshmen don't even know what the Berlin wall was.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:21:48 AM »
This is true..

There was a study done and most incoming college freshmen don't even know what the Berlin wall was.

Hope my comment wasn't deemed offensive. I've had the same discussion with many Brits and the concensus is you certinly educate yourselves in a particular subject to an arrow point.

Not saying you're stupid, in the subjects you take up, you're right up there.

It's the black Canadian lesbian pill pushers that are stupid. Speaking of which, Jag seems to have stopped posting in the forum since being spanked ;D
الاسلام هو شيطانية

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
sadly this is true.  difficult to sort through all the blah blah that we hear and see on TV.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »
My mom was from Ireland so i always thought I got a better rounded view about things.
L

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »
I agree with this completely. Even after four years in Iraq and Afghanistan I still don't understand the politics of the Middle East never mind other parts of the world.

Like HH6 growing up Irish in Boston meant you knew about the politics of Ireland and Britain. Of course politics around here are always a hot topic so even if you're not interested in it you'd still learn something about politics in the U.S.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 01:12:13 PM »
I agree with this completely. Even after four years in Iraq and Afghanistan I still don't understand the politics of the Middle East never mind other parts of the world.

Like HH6 growing up Irish in Boston meant you knew about the politics of Ireland and Britain. Of course politics around here are always a hot topic so even if you're not interested in it you'd still learn something about politics in the U.S.

You don't have to understand it, but it helps to have heard of those places....not knowing the Berlin wall..come on.....yet I bet people can trace from memory , every pimple on Parris Hilton's ass.
L

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 01:38:54 PM »
Lots of people grow up getting their reality by watching "24", and sometimes FoxNews.

That's the sad reality of today.

Some people seem to watch a little too much Jack Bauer and CSI. ;)

If the X-files actually has a sequel... help us all!
As empty as paradise

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:02:05 PM »
I happen to like the X-Files..filming starts next summer.
L

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:40:43 PM »
Hope my comment wasn't deemed offensive. I've had the same discussion with many Brits and the concensus is you certinly educate yourselves in a particular subject to an arrow point.

Not saying you're stupid, in the subjects you take up, you're right up there.

It's the black Canadian lesbian pill pushers that are stupid. Speaking of which, Jag seems to have stopped posting in the forum since being spanked ;D

I bet not getting any dick is catching up with her.