Author Topic: Hey Vet- Infrared Thermography, Rabies Detection  (Read 1361 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Hey Vet- Infrared Thermography, Rabies Detection
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:33:04 AM »
Could this be used on dogs in the case of bites and they wouldn't have to be put down?    I was told that in some counties in the States, that even if your dog was up to date on his rabies vaccine, they could still euthanize him to test for rabies in the case of a bite.  What is the point of keeping them up to date if they will just put them down anyways? 

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/is/06pubs/dunbar061.pdf

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Hey Vet- Infrared Thermography, Rabies Detection
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Could this be used on dogs in the case of bites and they wouldn't have to be put down?    I was told that in some counties in the States, that even if your dog was up to date on his rabies vaccine, they could still euthanize him to test for rabies in the case of a bite.  What is the point of keeping them up to date if they will just put them down anyways? 

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/is/06pubs/dunbar061.pdf

LOL.  How'd you get a copy of JZWM?   That journal is pretty strict on public access.... 

yeah, in theory this could be used on dogs.  It obivously has to be tested and validated though.  there is some variation with thermography units, so that may be a big factor. 

I'm not aware of any place in the US that has an "automatic euthanasia" law for dogs or cats that have been previously vaccinated for rabies and are up to date on vaccines.  This law does exist for ferrets in many areas though....   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:57:45 AM »
LOL.  How'd you get a copy of JZWM?   That journal is pretty strict on public access.... 

8)

yeah, in theory this could be used on dogs.  It obivously has to be tested and validated though.  there is some variation with thermography units, so that may be a big factor. 

I'm not aware of any place in the US that has an "automatic euthanasia" law for dogs or cats that have been previously vaccinated for rabies and are up to date on vaccines.  This law does exist for ferrets in many areas though....

It is my understanding that counties can put in place there own laws.  I recently heard of a dog being put down to check for rabies despite it being current on the vac and not showing any signs of rabies.  And this was because it came in contact with a rabid skunk but was not bitten by it.  It should of only been home quarantined IMO. 

Ferrets have even less of a chance than a dog in contracting rabies!!  I suppose a rabid bat could fly into the house and then happen to bite the ferret, but come on.

I really think no thought is put into some of these laws.   ::)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:59:51 AM »
     8)

It is my understanding that counties can put in place there own laws.  I recently heard of a dog being put down to check for rabies despite it being current on the vac and not showing any signs of rabies.  And this was because it came in contact with a rabid skunk but was not bitten by it.  It should of only been home quarantined IMO. 

the owners could have fought that one and won.  Again, I'm not aware of anyplace in the US where its legal  to do that with a dog or cat.  Other species, yes, but not dogs or cats up to date on their vacinations. 

Ferrets have even less of a chance than a dog in contracting rabies!!  I suppose a rabid bat could fly into the house and then happen to bite the ferret, but come on.

I really think no thought is put into some of these laws.   ::)[/color]

Breed specific legislation..... .thats all I have to say.....   ;)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:05:42 AM »
the owners could have fought that one and won.  Again, I'm not aware of anyplace in the US where its legal  to do that with a dog or cat.  Other species, yes, but not dogs or cats up to date on their vacinations. 

Breed specific legislation..... .thats all I have to say.....   ;)

You bet your ass I would of fought!!   >:(

BSL is getting way out of hand, and is going to get worse.
  :-\

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »
  You bet your ass I would of fought!!   >:(

BSL is getting way out of hand, and is going to get worse.
  :-\

Yup. 

America as a society has to hate something.   Its how fucked up we are....and I think it goes back all the way to precolonial times with the Puritans.  It doesn't matter what that witch is, as long as that witch is suffering and is going to die because that will SAVE all the innocents.