Author Topic: U.S. Approaches Permanent Horse Slaughter Ban /Info on PMU Foals  (Read 2013 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
I wonder how this will effect production of PMU (Premarin)?

http://www.petwork.com/petworkblog/?p=4099
U.S. Approaches Permanent Horse Slaughter Ban

On August 3, the House of Representatives voted to add a provision to the Agriculture spending bill for 2008 that will prohibit funds allotted for the inspection of horse slaughter plants. If passed, horse slaughter will no be allowed to continue in the United States, as federal food inspection is required for a slaughtering plant to legally remain open. Currently, the only remaining horse slaughter plant in the country is located in Dekalb, Illinois. Despite a state law banning the sale of horsemeat for human consumption, the plant has been permitted to remain open by a federal appeals court.

In anticipation of an imminent ban on horse slaughter, the HSUS and the Animal Welfare Institute recently held the first-ever Home for Horses Conference in Washington, D.C. The conference addressed important issues, such as claims that the U.S. will face an overpopulation of horses if horse slaughter becomes illegal. The conference also addressed horse abandonment and neglect issues, and spearheaded the formation of a coalition that will work to improve horse protection within the United States. Attendees represented various horse protection organizations around the country, and agreed to take a team approach to re-homing at-risk horses and improving general horse welfare nationwide.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: U.S. Approaches Permanent Horse Slaughter Ban /Info on PMU Foals
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »
Info on PMU horses and foals for those who are not aware of how this drug is made and what price is paid for it. If you know anyone taking Premarin, please ask them to talk to their doctor about other alternatives:

http://www.springhillrescue.com/pmu.shtml

*  If 60,000 pregnant mares are needed per year to produce Premarin, there must be 60,000 foals born to these mares each year?!? Yes! They are considered mere by-products of this industry.

* The mares at PMU (Pregnant Mare Urine) farms are impregnated, fitted with a urine collector device and put on "pee lines" for approximately 6 – 8 months. They are tied in small 8’ long X 3‘ wide stalls. Many are kept dehydrated so their urine is concentrated.

* The mares are taken off the "pee lines" at foaling time and put outside to foal. They are re-impregnated and returned to the PMU production line. If these mares fail to get pregnant they too are generally sent to slaughter and replaced.

* It has been reported that a small percent of foals at PMU farms do not survive due to exposure, starvation, or "clubbing" at birth. Of the foals that do survive, an estimated 9 out of every 10 fillies (females) and 49 out of every 50 colts (males) go to slaughter and their meat is shipped over seas for human consumption.

* The true tragedy is that there are several other synthetic and plant-based alternatives on the market today. It is not even necessary to produce this drug! Women are rarely told what and how Premarin is made. If given the choice, most would not choose to be party to this cruelty and slaughter of these tens of thousands of horses and would opt for a synthetic drug.

http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navId=75

http://www.pmurescue.org/

http://www.premarin.org/

http://www.cyberpict.net/horses/pmu.htm

Premarin is made from the urine of pregnant mares, who are tied in stalls unable to lie down (and YES horses do need to lie down, some sleep stages are done standing others lying for full rest a horse must lie down), get no exercise, have reduced water consumption (makes the urine more concentrated) for six months. This leaves them unhealthy, covered with sores and with infections and drastically shortens their lives. They are taken off line to give birth and in some cases the foal is weaned dangerously early (if allowed to nurse at all) so the mare can be brought back into season and bred again. The average life span of a PMU farm mare is 8-9  years, compared to 20-30(sometimes more) that is more typical of a horse.  And at the end of production the mares are sent to slaughter as well...often with their last foal sat their side.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:38:57 AM »
I wonder how this will effect production of PMU (Premarin)?

http://www.petwork.com/petworkblog/?p=4099
U.S. Approaches Permanent Horse Slaughter Ban

On August 3, the House of Representatives voted to add a provision to the Agriculture spending bill for 2008 that will prohibit funds allotted for the inspection of horse slaughter plants. If passed, horse slaughter will no be allowed to continue in the United States, as federal food inspection is required for a slaughtering plant to legally remain open. Currently, the only remaining horse slaughter plant in the country is located in Dekalb, Illinois. Despite a state law banning the sale of horsemeat for human consumption, the plant has been permitted to remain open by a federal appeals court.

In anticipation of an imminent ban on horse slaughter, the HSUS and the Animal Welfare Institute recently held the first-ever Home for Horses Conference in Washington, D.C. The conference addressed important issues, such as claims that the U.S. will face an overpopulation of horses if horse slaughter becomes illegal. The conference also addressed horse abandonment and neglect issues, and spearheaded the formation of a coalition that will work to improve horse protection within the United States. Attendees represented various horse protection organizations around the country, and agreed to take a team approach to re-homing at-risk horses and improving general horse welfare nationwide.

This is a real double edged sword.    I've worked in the horse industry in kentucky and Ohio and my wife is an equine surgeon.   We are both of the opinion that this needs to be thought out very, very carefully and simply jumping on the bandwagon will lead to more problems than good.   We dont' eat horseflesh in the US, however the export of horse meat has long been a reasonable alternative for animals with chronic injuries and or health problems.   Horses fit in a real grey area in teh US because with some (like my family) they literally are members of the family, however with others they still are seen as production animals.  Slaughter is a reasonable means of euthanizing production animals.  Not only that, but if this bill passes, it in essence makes horses "companion" animals.  This means that many of the tax breaks, research dollars, and other federal monies that go to maintaining certian aspects of the horse industry---like therapeutic riding farms, college programs, and veterinary schools will immediately stop as horses are no longer "production" animals--meaning they get the same money as other farm animals.  Many of the groups supporting this have given little or no thought to that aspect of the horse industry. 

I just cant stress it enough, think this one through really carefully---as a "pet horse" owner and as someone more business involved.   

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
Info on PMU horses and foals for those who are not aware of how this drug is made and what price is paid for it. If you know anyone taking Premarin, please ask them to talk to their doctor about other alternatives:

http://www.springhillrescue.com/pmu.shtml

*  If 60,000 pregnant mares are needed per year to produce Premarin, there must be 60,000 foals born to these mares each year?!? Yes! They are considered mere by-products of this industry.

* The mares at PMU (Pregnant Mare Urine) farms are impregnated, fitted with a urine collector device and put on "pee lines" for approximately 6 – 8 months. They are tied in small 8’ long X 3‘ wide stalls. Many are kept dehydrated so their urine is concentrated.

* The mares are taken off the "pee lines" at foaling time and put outside to foal. They are re-impregnated and returned to the PMU production line. If these mares fail to get pregnant they too are generally sent to slaughter and replaced.

* It has been reported that a small percent of foals at PMU farms do not survive due to exposure, starvation, or "clubbing" at birth. Of the foals that do survive, an estimated 9 out of every 10 fillies (females) and 49 out of every 50 colts (males) go to slaughter and their meat is shipped over seas for human consumption.

* The true tragedy is that there are several other synthetic and plant-based alternatives on the market today. It is not even necessary to produce this drug! Women are rarely told what and how Premarin is made. If given the choice, most would not choose to be party to this cruelty and slaughter of these tens of thousands of horses and would opt for a synthetic drug.

http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navId=75

http://www.pmurescue.org/

http://www.premarin.org/

http://www.cyberpict.net/horses/pmu.htm

Premarin is made from the urine of pregnant mares, who are tied in stalls unable to lie down (and YES horses do need to lie down, some sleep stages are done standing others lying for full rest a horse must lie down), get no exercise, have reduced water consumption (makes the urine more concentrated) for six months. This leaves them unhealthy, covered with sores and with infections and drastically shortens their lives. They are taken off line to give birth and in some cases the foal is weaned dangerously early (if allowed to nurse at all) so the mare can be brought back into season and bred again. The average life span of a PMU farm mare is 8-9  years, compared to 20-30(sometimes more) that is more typical of a horse.  And at the end of production the mares are sent to slaughter as well...often with their last foal sat their side.

I really dont' know a tremendous amount about premarin production, however, the person I'm renting property from right now is involved with this industry.  I didn't realize it at first, but finally cornered them about the new strange horses appearing out by the barn.  The horses I've seen are mares that have been retired and foals from "production" mares all coming from some place up north.  While the mares weren't in the best condition, they also weren't in as bad of shape as some privately owned horses I've seen--I've yet to see any with evidence of healed bedsores or severe hoof conditions.  These mares also obviously weren't going to slaughter.  Some of the foals were being bottle fed, but they were all healthy and frisky.  The one person who co-rents with me buys about half a dozen of the foals every year, raises them, and breaks them before selling/giving them to local 4-H students. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »
You certainly brought up some points I wasn't aware of in regards to horses.

There really is only one horse slaughtering plant in the US? 

Why couldn't tax breaks and funding still be given to those programs you mentioned?
  :-\

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
You certainly brought up some points I wasn't aware of in regards to horses.

There really is only one horse slaughtering plant in the US? 

Why couldn't tax breaks and funding still be given to those programs you mentioned?
  :-\

There are three---two in texas and one in Illinios. 

Its easy to say tax breaks and funding, but be realistic, it won't happen.  Especially with our current government. 

Heres something else to think about---many exotic carnivore diets are composed largely of horsemeat.  Horse is in many ways a more appropriate meat nutritionally for some species than cow or pig.  If this bill passes, zoos, big cat rescues, animal sanctuaries, and the like will be forced to import diets from an international source.  This will be enough of an added cost to run some of them out of business.  Its just another reason to think this one through very, very carefully before you jump on the bandwagon. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:16:16 AM »
Another good point, the zoo diets.   :-\    But in doing some searching it seems that some proponents to horse slaughtering aren't so much upset about horses being slaughtered, as to the way the animals are treated and shipped?  That it is not "euthanasia" as they would like people to think. 

http://equineprotectionnetwork.com/slaughter/faq.htm

So what do you think about Premarin? 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »
Another good point, the zoo diets.   :-\    But in doing some searching it seems that some proponents to horse slaughtering aren't so much upset about horses being slaughtered, as to the way the animals are treated and shipped?  That it is not "euthanasia" as they would like people to think. 

So what do you think about Premarin? 

Like I said, I don't know much about it.   I have encountered some horses from that trade and they ddint' look too bad.  I'll be the first to admit its a small number of retired mares and foals.  Things may be worse than I've seen. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
Like I said, I don't know much about it.   I have encountered some horses from that trade and they ddint' look too bad.  I'll be the first to admit its a small number of retired mares and foals.  Things may be worse than I've seen. 

Sorry,I missed your post!!   I don't think an animal should be basically confined for months on end, nor the resulting excess (the foals) be considered expendable and worthless.  Not when there are other alternatives available. 

After reading this, I don't see how any 'horse person' could think they should end up going through this (I realize that some facts might be exaggerated or inflated, but still):

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »
Sorry,I missed your post!!   I don't think an animal should be basically confined for months on end, nor the resulting excess (the foals) be considered expendable and worthless.  Not when there are other alternatives available. 

After reading this, I don't see how any 'horse person' could think they should end up going through this (I realize that some facts might be exaggerated or inflated, but still):

I think that website is pretty biased..... 

The thing is banning the slaughter isn't really what I think should be done.  Its the trade/market from countries like France that needs to be regulated.   If there is no profit in it, most people won't do it.  Right now, there is quite a bit of profit in the sale of the meat itself. 

This also doesnt' damage the "ancillary" businesses/education/etc involved with the horse industry which might have some problems if this type of law goes through.