Author Topic: Oscar and I had a bad walk last night  (Read 2842 times)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
Oscar and I had a bad walk last night
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:41:54 AM »
Last night I figured I would take Oscar for a stroll around the block since hes been all cooped up with the baby and all. We were only 3 doors up walking past the neighbors when I heard a dogs growl. The lady from the top of the street came down to let the neighbors dogs out in the back yard. She brought her female Golden with her and as usual she was not on a leash.  Her dog came charging down the step at Oscar and I so  I tried to pull him behind me and step between them. The lady was screaming for her dog to stop( her dog isnt all that friendly, surprisingly). Well, it got kinda ugly, Oscar freaked at the dog chargin us and lunged at her. She out weighs O dog by a good 30lbs and stands about 10 inches taller. She grabbed Oscar by the scruff and he latched on to her front paw. I dropped my cell phone and his leash and grabbed the Golden by the scruff of her neck and picked her front legs off the ground. When I did she twisted to bite my hand and it ripped out a big chunk of her fur. So I let go and grabbed her by the throat under the chin. With my free hand I grabbed Oscars leash and pulled him off the dog. By this time the lady had run down and was trying to get her dog on a leash. It did even have a collar on at the time, and she started beating on her dog. I told her dont beat on her like that, its your fault for not having her on a leash. Well,she started crying and asking if Oscar was ok- I told her he was fine after I looked him over and I apologized for man handling her dog. It was not a great walk since I was now boiling mad but Oscar seemed to enjoy it.
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Oscar and I had a bad walk last night
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 06:59:03 AM »
I'm glad everyone was ok!!   That is not a fun situation to be in.

I see quite a few dogs off leash in people's yards on our walks.  Some dogs appear to be pretty well trained because they don't even appear to look at my dogs so they probably do stay in their yard with their owner, but I always wonder if a dog will be off leash on the side of the next house where I can't see them and could cross the street to avoid a possible conflict. 

Thankfully we have only had an incident with that rottie, all the other dogs that have ever approached us I was only with one dog and the other dogs went right up to my dog but were friendly.  It still put it on me to make sure nothing happened and to keep my dog under control despite a strange dog sniffing them all over. 

I wish people would realize that it is for their dog's safety to be on a leash as well as for other people and animals.
:-\

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:15:36 AM »
Last night I figured I would take Oscar for a stroll around the block since hes been all cooped up with the baby and all. We were only 3 doors up walking past the neighbors when I heard a dogs growl. The lady from the top of the street came down to let the neighbors dogs out in the back yard. She brought her female Golden with her and as usual she was not on a leash.  Her dog came charging down the step at Oscar and I so  I tried to pull him behind me and step between them. The lady was screaming for her dog to stop( her dog isnt all that friendly, surprisingly). Well, it got kinda ugly, Oscar freaked at the dog chargin us and lunged at her. She out weighs O dog by a good 30lbs and stands about 10 inches taller. She grabbed Oscar by the scruff and he latched on to her front paw. I dropped my cell phone and his leash and grabbed the Golden by the scruff of her neck and picked her front legs off the ground. When I did she twisted to bite my hand and it ripped out a big chunk of her fur. So I let go and grabbed her by the throat under the chin. With my free hand I grabbed Oscars leash and pulled him off the dog. By this time the lady had run down and was trying to get her dog on a leash. It did even have a collar on at the time, and she started beating on her dog. I told her dont beat on her like that, its your fault for not having her on a leash. Well,she started crying and asking if Oscar was ok- I told her he was fine after I looked him over and I apologized for man handling her dog. It was not a great walk since I was now boiling mad but Oscar seemed to enjoy it.

a golden retriever.......   something for some people who post on here to think about

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:30:04 AM »
a golden retriever.......   something for some people who post on here to think about

Ya Vet, believe it or not a beautiful female. I wonder if shes a bit aggressive since shes tied up on the front porch all the time. Shes very friendly to me but she tends to be somewhat animal aggressive, but so is Oscar
X

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
but Oscar seemed to enjoy it.

maybe you should call Oscar "the cucumber dog" from now on because from the sounds of it, it sure sounds like O'dogg was just as cool as a cucumber in the face of turmoil and mayhem.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:12:07 AM »
maybe you should call Oscar "the cucumber dog" from now on because from the sounds of it, it sure sounds like O'dogg was just as cool as a cucumber in the face of turmoil and mayhem.

Im very happy the way he handled himself, He let out a war cry like ive never heard before- kinda like when hes  chasing a rabbit or a cat. Im just glad hes ok that Golden was a bunch bigger than him
X

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »
O'dog's like braveheart only different

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:22:04 AM »
Well, last week my Rottie was confronted by an unleashed Labrador Retriever & this week O dog was confronted by a Golden Retriever.  Amazing....but I wonder how many of these go unreported?  I think people like you & I won't report it because we like dogs & realize it's not the dogs fault.  But...on the other hand...if my Rottie did this or if it was a Pitbull....it would have been reported immediately. 
I grew up with Labradors & knew plenty of Goldens.  I understand their personalities & although they are extremely friendly dogs...they are just like any other dog & can be territorial, protective, & may attack.

I'm glad to hear O dog is ok.  Sometimes I wonder if I should have reported the incident just to protect myself...but I believe that I made the right choice not too.  Days after the incident the Lab has been leashed everytime.  I think my personal threat against them & my 'rage/anger' made them realize their lack of responsibility will get someone hurt.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
But...on the other hand...if my Rottie did this or if it was a Pitbull....it would have been reported immediately. 

I didn't report the rottie that jumped my dogs.  I didn't see the need to, no one was hurt and I do think it was an accident. 

Unless someone got hurt I probably wouldn't report it.  If it happened again with the same dog then I might. 

I did report the pitbull/american bulldog (?) that I saw a number of times out front with NO ONE around. That was the dog that came across the street and even followed me and Emmett before it finally turned around.  It seemed friendly, but I did not appreciate being in that position and seeing it out on more than one occasion unattended ticked me off.  Considering it crossed the street, the owner's negligence was putting the dog in danger from getting hit by a car, along with other incidents the dog could of had with other dogs or people. A lot of kids live on that street also, no dog should be outside unattended off leash.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »
But...on the other hand...if my Rottie did this or if it was a Pitbull....it would have been reported immediately.  

And probably would have made front page headlines. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »
And probably would have made front page headlines. 

true...I doubt an attacking golden retriever would even make a back page story

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 11:53:04 AM »
If someone was seriously mauled or killed by ANY dog it would make headlines.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »
an off-leashed pitbull that mildly attacks someone...makes front page news.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:07:17 PM »
an off-leashed pitbull that mildly attacks someone...makes front page news.

define mildly?  I have never read a news article where the person was not SERIOUSLY injured. 

Not that I don't think pitbulls get a bad rap, but I think the "poor misunderstood pitbull" card is played too much. 

The fact is usually when their is an incident with one, it is serious. But I have seen reports that involved other breeds as well, pitbulls seem to do more damage and that is what makes it newsworthy. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 12:13:35 PM »
pitbulls do more damage....so they get more coverage... ::)

IMO a dog bite is a dog bite.  They all should be treated, recorded, & handled in the same manner despite the breed. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
In a study reported by a retired professor from California State University at Chino, Robert Plum, it was found that one dog in 55 will bite someone seriously during the course of a year. With respect to breed differences in the tendency to inflict serious injury, Plumb estimates that when a pit bull bites a human, one in 16 (e.g. 1/16) will inflict serious injury; this contrasts with a ratio of 1/296 Dobermans, and 1/156 German shepherds.

They just do more damage when they do bite someone.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 12:21:08 PM »

IMO a dog bite is a dog bite.  They all should be treated, recorded, & handled in the same manner despite the breed. 

You think every dog bite should make the news?   ::)   

A serious dog attack is newsworthy no matter what the breed.  A little bite is not.  Who wants to read that.   ::)

It's up to people to report the bite.  I believe if you seek medical treatment it has to be reported.  I posted not to long ago, a site where dog incidents where recorded and you could see if a dog has a prior incident report.  The example I gave was a Labrador I believe that a child had gotten knocked over by accidentally (it was a toddler learning to walk I think) the child fell and hit his head requiring stitches and the dog now has a record.  The dog was not at fault at all.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 12:26:31 PM »
well...I may be biased..but I think ankle biters (chi's) are the worst out there

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
well...I may be biased..but I think ankle biters (chi's) are the worst out there

if one does damage it would make the news.  It's likely that they won't because of their size. I'm sure most people could kick the dog away.  If one attacked an unattended baby I'm sure it could inflict serious damage, and that would make the news. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »
if one does damage it would make the news.  It's likely that they won't because of their size. I'm sure most people could kick the dog away.  If one attacked an unattended baby I'm sure it could inflict serious damage, and that would make the news. 

Flower, I really don't have the faith in media you are conveying in this thread.  The media wants sensationalism, not reality. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »

I agree with this. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
Flower, I really don't have the faith in media you are conveying in this thread.  The media wants sensationalism, not reality. 

I have never seen a pitbull reported incident that wasn't a SERIOUS injury. You don't see "pitbull scratched man" reported do you?

I have seen other serious dog attacks reported.  If I only had ever seen pitbull ones I would know that unfair reporting was going on because other breeds have been involved in serious injuries.

You cannot ignore the fact that some breeds will do more damage if they bite or attack someone.  That is why they make the news more often, they do more damage. 

I do not believe that pitbulls bite people more often than other breeds, but if you get bit by one of them it will probably be more serious. 

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »
Im glad it was a Golden and not something like a pit- Im fair size and pride myself on forearm/grip strenght( I was single for years ;D) so when I grap her really hard she let go if it was a bully breed my guess would be I would have had my hands full and may have ended up have to do some serious harm to her dog to get it to let go of Oscar
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »
Chihuahua attacks do make the news  ;D :

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=15077

Police Officer Suffers Bites in Chihuahua Attack

A Fremont police officer was treated and released after being attacked by a pack of very tiny, but very angry, dogs.

The officer was taking a 17-year-old boy home after a traffic stop on Thursday when five Chihuahuas charged from the home and attacked the officer in the doorway.

The officer suffered a number of bites, mostly on his ankles. He was treated at a hospital and returned to work a couple of hours later.

Created: 12/30/2005 11:11:41

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 01:45:30 PM »
Chihuahua attacks do make the news  ;D :

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=15077

Police Officer Suffers Bites in Chihuahua Attack

A Fremont police officer was treated and released after being attacked by a pack of very tiny, but very angry, dogs.

The officer was taking a 17-year-old boy home after a traffic stop on Thursday when five Chihuahuas charged from the home and attacked the officer in the doorway.

The officer suffered a number of bites, mostly on his ankles. He was treated at a hospital and returned to work a couple of hours later.

Created: 12/30/2005 11:11:41

I'm sorry, I laughed at this post.  This is the ONLY chihuahua article I can recall ever seeing in the media about one biting someone and I know from first hand experience these little biters will get more than your ankles.  ;D ;D