Author Topic: BACK TRAINING  (Read 55247 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: BACK TRAINING
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »
What do you think of the Hammer Strength Pullover machine?  I used to use a similar machine years ago.
Our new gym has these, and I was psyched, but then I got into it and wasn't very comfortable.  Not sure if I am too small for it and whether it's a useful exercise.  I usually do a similar thing standing up with the cable. 

:)

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2008, 02:41:12 AM »
What do you think of the Hammer Strength Pullover machine?  I used to use a similar machine years ago.
Our new gym has these, and I was psyched, but then I got into it and wasn't very comfortable.  Not sure if I am too small for it and whether it's a useful exercise.  I usually do a similar thing standing up with the cable. 

There's good, better, best. That Hammer Strenght Pullover is nice for large people. Nice isn't good enough if you pay 44 euro's a month. We have a lot of Panatta, and also some Hammer Strenght machines.

http://www.panattasport.it/en/product.asp?ID=50142

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2008, 06:10:23 AM »

We have that machine in our gym also and I have to say I never tried it.  If Im serious about doing some pullovers I will do them on a bench with a DB, cant beat that IMO.  When i just wanna pump up lats a little at the end of a workout I will just quickly use the cables.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2008, 08:03:34 AM »
We have that machine in our gym also and I have to say I never tried it.  If Im serious about doing some pullovers I will do them on a bench with a DB, cant beat that IMO.  When i just wanna pump up lats a little at the end of a workout I will just quickly use the cables.

Yeah, we've talked about the DB pullovers before, and that they are best, and I agree but I always end up using the cables, and then I got drawn in by the allure of a new Hammer Strength machine.   :D

I think I'm too short for it in the arms and torso...it practically lifts me out of the seat at the top, and that's with the seat as far up as it will go. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »

Yeah, we've talked about the DB pullovers before, and that they are best, and I agree but I always end up using the cables, and then I got drawn in by the allure of a new Hammer Strength machine.   :D

I think I'm too short for it in the arms and torso...it practically lifts me out of the seat at the top, and that's with the seat as far up as it will go. 

I am going to give it a shot and report my findings on Teusday  :D

If its lifting you up like that yeah maybe its just a poor fit for you.  If I came over there I would let you sit in my lap while you did them, that might help  :-*

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »

We've got a Hammer one that's a little different looking then that one but basically the same thing, and I don't like it at all...it feels really awkward. I have a hard time reaching the back part too so I can only imagine how difficult that would be for you.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2008, 04:34:50 AM »
If its lifting you up like that yeah maybe its just a poor fit for you.  If I came over there I would let you sit in my lap while you did them, that might help  :-*

;D

We've got a Hammer one that's a little different looking then that one but basically the same thing, and I don't like it at all...it feels really awkward. I have a hard time reaching the back part too so I can only imagine how difficult that would be for you.

Yep, exactly.  I think that DBs are the best way to go for this exercise.  I find this to be the case with alot of exercises...the machines tend to force you into what can be an awkward or incorrect position, esp if you are a shortie like me.   :P

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2008, 04:57:19 AM »
Well I gave that Hammer Pull Over Machine a try yesterday at the end of my work out to se how it works.  At first a I had a hard time figuring out where my hands should go on it and will say it puts my hands in a not so natural position.  I just put one plate on there to feel how it worked.  I tried a seating position up all the way and one about 3 notches down.  Have to say I think the thing feels pretty good.  Felt like it was hitting my lats pretty good. I liked it most with the seat at about 3, that seemed to fit me pretty well. 

I don't know if it will work well with me when I put some more weight on there?  But I think I might start using the thing here and there. Thanks for pointing it out Rip.  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:27 AM »
Well I gave that Hammer Pull Over Machine a try yesterday at the end of my work out to se how it works.  At first a I had a hard time figuring out where my hands should go on it and will say it puts my hands in a not so natural position.  I just put one plate on there to feel how it worked.  I tried a seating position up all the way and one about 3 notches down.  Have to say I think the thing feels pretty good.  Felt like it was hitting my lats pretty good. I liked it most with the seat at about 3, that seemed to fit me pretty well. 

I don't know if it will work well with me when I put some more weight on there?  But I think I might start using the thing here and there. Thanks for pointing it out Rip.  :)

Sure thing Luv Baby.  I think those machines are built for someone more your size.   ;)
If you fit comfortably in it, you should be able to get a real good stretch out of it at the top end. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »

Sure thing Luv Baby.  I think those machines are built for someone more your size.   ;)
If you fit comfortably in it, you should be able to get a real good stretch out of it at the top end. 

Yep gotta love the stretch.  :)

Here was my back work out Teusday.  I have as of the last few years been doing a different workout almost every time I train.  I think the variety is important and helps give that complete look.  But its usually gonna be 2 rowing moves and 2 pulling down type moves. I worked hard last year to bring my back up and add detail and think I did a good job with it.  Still wanna get it better but found yes you need to put some good tension on it with heavy weight but you can not let the weights get so heavy that you lose the feel.

Close grip pull downs 4x10-12 last set drop set
BB rows 4x10-12 Last set drop set
Wide grip front pull downs 4x12
one arm cable rows 4x12

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »
Yep gotta love the stretch.  :)

Here was my back work out Teusday.  I have as of the last few years been doing a different workout almost every time I train.  I think the variety is important and helps give that complete look.  But its usually gonna be 2 rowing moves and 2 pulling down type moves. I worked hard last year to bring my back up and add detail and think I did a good job with it.  Still wanna get it better but found yes you need to put some good tension on it with heavy weight but you can not let the weights get so heavy that you lose the feel.

Close grip pull downs 4x10-12 last set drop set
BB rows 4x10-12 Last set drop set
Wide grip front pull downs 4x12
one arm cable rows 4x12

The back is one of those muscle groups that you can work in SO many different ways, it's great to mix things up a bit.   8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2008, 04:12:59 AM »
What happened to our training threads?!

I've been slacking on the training threads because I have been focused so much on my bench press workouts. 
I did a back workout yesterday, and it felt good because I had skipped last week b/c of the bench meet. 

-The new gym has a bent over T-bar row set up.  I did 2 sets x 12 with 55 pounds on it, and 2 sets x 10 with 70 pounds.
-Hammer strength pulldown machine...not my favorite.  I did 2 sets x 10 with 70 pounds per side.
-Wide grip lat pulldowns - 4 sets x 10 about 110 pounds (I should be pulling my bodyweight!  >:()
-Low rows - 3 sets x 12 with about 100 pounds.  I also did a beginning set and an ending set one hand at a time with about 60 pounds, totalling five sets. 
-I also tried out the Technogym lat pulldown and the Life Fitness lat pulldown for one set each, and I didn't like either one.   :P

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2008, 04:33:24 AM »
What happened to our training threads?!

I've been slacking on the training threads because I have been focused so much on my bench press workouts. 
I did a back workout yesterday, and it felt good because I had skipped last week b/c of the bench meet. 

-The new gym has a bent over T-bar row set up.  I did 2 sets x 12 with 55 pounds on it, and 2 sets x 10 with 70 pounds.
-Hammer strength pulldown machine...not my favorite.  I did 2 sets x 10 with 70 pounds per side.
-Wide grip lat pulldowns - 4 sets x 10 about 110 pounds (I should be pulling my bodyweight!  >:()
-Low rows - 3 sets x 12 with about 100 pounds.  I also did a beginning set and an ending set one hand at a time with about 60 pounds, totalling five sets. 
-I also tried out the Technogym lat pulldown and the Life Fitness lat pulldown for one set each, and I didn't like either one.   :P

Nice job, I like how you are honest with the weights you use, shows you must use good form and a full ROM.

Pull downs just don't compare with pull ups.  Hard...yes, unglamorous...yes, a true measure of your strength...yes.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2008, 04:40:34 AM »
Nice job, I like how you are honest with the weights you use, shows you must use good form and a full ROM.

Pull downs just don't compare with pull ups.  Hard...yes, unglamorous...yes, a true measure of your strength...yes.

I know the opinions about pullups are variable, but I agree.  Once I get my body weight down a little  ;D, I'll get back to doing them pretty regularly. 

As for the weights, I've noticed that every back machine is different...what is 100 pounds on one pulldown machine may be 60 pounds on another, so it's hard to even guage if/when you are pulling body weight. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2008, 04:43:52 AM »

I know the opinions about pullups are variable, but I agree.  Once I get my body weight down a little  ;D, I'll get back to doing them pretty regularly. 

As for the weights, I've noticed that every back machine is different...what is 100 pounds on one pulldown machine may be 60 pounds on another, so it's hard to even guage if/when you are pulling body weight. 

Yes seems the people who cant do em have the most reasons (excuses) not to.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
Back training tonight.  Nothing major but did feel good to hit it with some intensity.

Pull ups 4x10  Man these were HARD at my current fat body weight, but still did get 10 reps per set, I know I will be sore from these.

Hammer rows 4x10-12 one arm at a time

Close grip pull downs 4x10

Db pullovers 4x12

Wish i could do some bent rows but will take it easy on my back for a while right now.  May have to give them up considering the arthritis and degenerating disks in my low back  :-\  I will have to find substitutes.

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »
you people need more width excersises

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2008, 06:56:39 PM »
you people need more width excersises

u care to expand on that noel?

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »
More pulldown movements , Hammer pull,lat pull wide hammer behind the neck pulldown, pullups, I see way to much rowing...great for thickness but not for width. V-taper my man, V-taper.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »
so what would u recommend on back day. For someone who only does 4 exercises for back

3 "width" movement and 1 "thickenss" movement?

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2008, 08:30:31 PM »
2 and 2 and switch up to three width every so often if width is a problem. People usualy have one or the other...so I have them work on the weak point harder.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »
More pulldown movements , Hammer pull,lat pull wide hammer behind the neck pulldown, pullups, I see way to much rowing...great for thickness but not for width. V-taper my man, V-taper.

Point well taken thanks

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »
2 and 2 and switch up to three width every so often if width is a problem. People usualy have one or the other...so I have them work on the weak point harder.

very basic, but very smart. Ill start doing that, I usually do two and two, but will alternate with 3 and 1 like u said.

Thanx Noel.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »

Usually how i do it also.  Each back workout is different for me.  And on occasion I will prioritize width or thickness.  But I could see targeting what is your weak point is best.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »
Ugh I need some serious width!   :P