Author Topic: Thinking about giving my dog away  (Read 4131 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Thinking about giving my dog away
« on: August 23, 2007, 02:31:44 PM »
My brothers wife(and him) has a golden lab and I have a black Lab. They are both 4 years old. After watching her dog a few times when they were vacationing and a few weekends of the dogs hanging out together they have gotten really close. They are very happy when together. This morning they picked up my dog to go on vacation with them and their dog. Furio(my dog) gets so excited whenever he sees Guinness and they just bought a huge house on the lake where the two dogs could grow old together and be really happy. I love Furio, but got him as a gift from my ex-fiance at a time when I was home all the time and didn't have to worry about things like driving home drunk to let him out or leaving him alone for a long time while I am out and about. They really want him and as much as he loves me I do think he would be happier running and playing with his "girlfriend" rather than laying by my feet as I post on Getbig. Would keeping him be selfish knowing he would have a better life elsewhere?
E

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Thinking about giving my dog away
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »
tough call.....

I would never part with my dog...but if he would truly be happier somewhere else....then why am I to be selfish?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:54:35 PM »
If you think he would be well cared for and loved (which it sounds like he would be)  and you think they would have more time for him, then it is something to think about.  You would still be a part of his life and know he was okay. 

IMO, Keeping him would only be selfish if you don't think you can meet all his needs.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »
If you think he would be well cared for and loved (which it sounds like he would be)  and you think they would have more time for him, then it is something to think about.  You would still be a part of his life and know he was okay. 

IMO, Keeping him would only be selfish if you don't think you can meet all his needs.

I meet his needs, I just know he would be happier with a companion. My brother and sister in-law are homebodies, as I am to an extent, but they are home every night. He is an inside dog in the sense that he only goes outside to do his business or when I play with him or take him for walks. Yet, when he is with Guinness they play outside for hours and really seem to be enjoying themselves. Plus whenever he is with Guinness, he seems depressed for a few days after they are separated. I am leaning towards giving him away with visitation rights.
E

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:06:06 PM »
I meet his needs, I just know he would be happier with a companion. My brother and sister in-law are homebodies, as I am to an extent, but they are home every night. He is an inside dog in the sense that he only goes outside to do his business or when I play with him or take him for walks. Yet, when he is with Guinness they play outside for hours and really seem to be enjoying themselves. Plus whenever he is with Guinness, he seems depressed for a few days after they are separated. I am leaning towards giving him away with visitation rights.

You could always do a trial.  You said he went with them this morning on vacation? So why not think about it while he is gone and see how you feel?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 05:09:24 PM »
You could always do a trial.  You said he went with them this morning on vacation? So why not think about it while he is gone and see how you feel?

Yeah, well I feel a bit lonely tbh. This is not a sudden decision I have been planning it for a few months, they just had to get situated at their new home. The only reason I am bringing it up is cuz I already miss him, didn't know if anyone else ever had to give away their pet for some reason etc.
E

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
what would carmela say?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 05:10:41 PM »
what would carmela say?

Yep, that's exactly who I named him after. Watching repeats are going to be painful :'(
E

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »

if your brother dos'nt live too too far away why don't ya think about just splitting time having him and lettin him stay there?

leave him there during the week and when you're off on weekends take him home,at 4 years of age he should be adjusted enough

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »
if your brother dos'nt live too too far away why don't ya think about just splitting time having him and lettin him stay there?

leave him there during the week and when you're off on weekends take him home,at 4 years of age he should be adjusted enough

IMO...dogs like to have a couple of places to call home....he might just like that

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:44:01 PM »
IMO...dogs like to have a couple of places to call home....he might just like that

alleviate some of the guilt too

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »

Not a bad idea at all.
E

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 08:55:19 PM »
Labs need a lot of stimulation (exercise, social, etc.) to be healthy and happy.  IMO it would be in his best interest to let your brother adopt him and grant you visitation rights  ;D  'course you should contribute to child support  :P
:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 06:12:22 AM »
Labs need a lot of stimulation (exercise, social, etc.) to be healthy and happy.  IMO it would be in his best interest to let your brother adopt him and grant you visitation rights  ;D  'course you should contribute to child support  :P
Uncle danielson would come visiting with presents...a case of beer for the humans and a bag of bones for the dogs.  Everybody's happy :)
R

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 08:26:37 AM »
Uncle danielson would come visiting with presents...a case of beer for the humans and a bag of bones for the dogs.  Everybody's happy :)

Yeah, I think that's best. I'll probably take both doggies once a month or something. Furio likes to swim and loves his girlfriend, so he will be happier. :)
E

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 10:06:41 AM »
Best of luck to him danielson.  I don't think there was a right or wrong decision here, but I do think you are looking out for his best interests.   :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 10:13:37 AM »
Best of luck to him danielson.  I don't think there was a right or wrong decision here, but I do think you are looking out for his best interests.   :)

. . .  and looking out for furio's interests is your purpose in life :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 10:22:17 AM »
Yeah, I think that's best. I'll probably take both doggies once a month or something. Furio likes to swim and loves his girlfriend, so he will be happier. :)

It's not like he's moving (back) to Sicily or something  ;)
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 10:22:19 AM »
. . .  and looking out for furio's interests is your purpose in life :)

I'm supporting danielson's decision!   We try and be supportive and helpful here on the Pet Board.   ;D

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 10:30:41 AM »
 :'(
E

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »

that's a great picture.  he's got the furio hang-dog expression down pat. 

you shouldn't have formalized this thing in your head.  If it were me, I would just leave him for longer periods w my brother, but wouldn't stop thinking about him as my dog.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 10:35:35 AM »
So cute!  :D 

More pics please ;D   And then some in his new home w/his woman if you can :)
R

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »
So cute!  :D 

More pics please ;D   And then some in his new home w/his woman if you can :)

Ok, I'll get some new ones. He isn't around right now though :)
E