Author Topic: what happened to Mr America contest?  (Read 3353 times)

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
Re: what happened to Mr America contest?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »
And yes, they did fold due to the NPC, and the fact that nearly every single top guy was competing in the NPC...their numbers dropped to nothing within 5 years.

5 years?   1999 (the last AAU Mr America) - 1982 (the first NPC Nationals) = 17 years.

Throughout the 1990s the national level AAU was doing ok.  They had a niche market, just like some of the smaller orgs today.   You don't have to be the dominate org to be successful.  The AAU washed its hands of bodybuilding because of the drugs.   They tried to enforce a drug policy.  One of the winners who failed the drug test sued and won, so the AAU decided that they had had enough.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
Yeah...and by "nitche market" you really mean "all the talent left for the NPC along with the fans"

Please bro...they got beat by a better organization...they were getting their ass handed to them long before the guy challenged the drug ruling....

And yres, within 5 years....by 1987 the NPC had taken over, and even their superstars (comerford, Meeko, etc.) were coming over to try for a pro card, as winning the top AAU show led to nowhere...

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 09:51:31 PM »
you know, I just don't understand this blind loyalty to a business.

"got beat by a better organization"

it's not a competition between organizations.  Is Musclemania in competition with NABBA or INBA or ABA or any of the other half dozen orgs in the US?   Should a WBNF fan hate an ABA competitor like some Mets fan hate the Yankees?

"as winning the top AAU show led to nowhere"

It got you the title "Mr America".  That was enough for many.

Not every competition bodybuilder wants to be a pro.  Some want to prove themselves, then move onto the next chapter of their life.

sometimes I think Chick (and on occasion Shawn) is like Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh.  They don't really believe half of what they write or say.  It's just their shtick.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 10:06:53 PM »

it's not a competition between organizations.  Is Musclemania in competition with NABBA or INBA or ABA or any of the other half dozen orgs in the US?   Should a WBNF fan hate an ABA competitor like some Mets fan hate the Yankees?

Not every competition bodybuilder wants to be a pro.  Some want to prove themselves, then move onto the next chapter of their life.

sometimes I think Chick (and on occasion Shawn) is like Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh.  They don't really believe half of what they write or say.  It's just their shtick.

Nor do I understand your anti-IFBB/ NPC stance...which is blatent.

I and Shawn have both competed in the NPC (and turned pro in it) and then been a part of the IFBB, which may give you a clue as to where our allegience lies.....what's your excuse? Have you eveer even stepped on a bb stage?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
The Mr America was brought back and held for a few years somewhere in cally a few years ago and if I recall the last one was around 2004. This was the original Mr. America.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »
The Mr America was brought back and held for a few years somewhere in cally a few years ago and if I recall the last one was around 2004. This was the original Mr. America.

That would be the WBFA.  But just calling it the Mr America doesn't make it the Mr America.  Even licensing the name from the AAU doesn't make it the Mr America.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 04:28:46 AM »
Nor do I understand your anti-IFBB/ NPC stance...which is blatent.

I and Shawn have both competed in the NPC (and turned pro in it) and then been a part of the IFBB, which may give you a clue as to where our allegience lies.....what's your excuse? Have you eveer even stepped on a bb stage?

dont attempt to change the subject mr know-it-all just because it's not your version of the truth.  what's next bully?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »

AAU LED TO NOWHERE,that quote was not by u but u have to admit plenty of aau athletes stayed and were loyal and the crossovers vince taylor,comerford,excelled but vic terra who was incredible and joe deangelis did not.look at pete miller,casey kutcurak,king.great bbers all in their own right could not crossover,casey kuturack did hit pros but had to win mr poland.this was a very prestigious title,yes the npc is the recognized federation now,but don't discount some great bbers from their era.