Author Topic: what happened to Mr America contest?  (Read 3354 times)

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
what happened to Mr America contest?
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »
why dont they have that anymore?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: what happened to Mr America contest?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »
cause everyone but you prefer miss america
Z

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »
They do...it's called "The National Championships". The "Mr." titles got dropped years ago with the whole AAU vs NPC court ruling stuff.

The "Mr. USA" became the "USA Championships".

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 04:11:53 PM »
I think the AAU owned it and they bitched so the NPC changed it to the nationals , I think

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »
AAU owned the rights to "Mr America", and unfortunately that title went down with the organization.

i wanna be captain anyway   he has a cool shield

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 07:32:06 PM »
just curious, who then own's the brand name?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 08:54:37 PM »
i wanna be captain anyway   he has a cool shield

Sorry bro...I've already got that title!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:37:21 AM »
They do...it's called "The National Championships". The "Mr." titles got dropped years ago with the whole AAU vs NPC court ruling stuff.

sorry.  The first NPC Nationals and NPC USAs were in 1982.   The AAU continued to have the Mr USA till 1998 and the Mr America till 1999. 

The AAU washed its hands of bodybuilding in 1999, primarily because of the drugs.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:25:57 AM »

So then why do they still call it the “Mr. Olympia”? If what you’re saying holds “wata” they should call it “The Olympia Pro Bodybuilding Championship”, shouldn’t they?

I think Tim fogerty answer is correct. Howard White wrote about this some time ago. He was an AAU judge or something. 
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 02:58:23 AM »
opps Chic is wrong.  Lets see if he'll admit it. 

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 08:02:20 AM »
sorry.  The first NPC Nationals and NPC USAs were in 1982.   The AAU continued to have the Mr USA till 1998 and the Mr America till 1999. 

The AAU washed its hands of bodybuilding in 1999, primarily because of the drugs.

You're right , the AAU did continue....but no one noticed, and no one recognized any title from them. The NPC attempted to have their OWN Mr A and Mr USA, only to have to change the titles...so in effect, they are the same titles...

And no....the AAU didn't wash their hands of BB because of the drugs, they folded tent because of the success of the NPC and their own declining numbers.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 11:46:17 AM »
You're right , the AAU did continue....but no one noticed, and no one recognized any title from them. The NPC attempted to have their OWN Mr A and Mr USA, only to have to change the titles...so in effect, they are the same titles...

And no....the AAU didn't wash their hands of BB because of the drugs, they folded tent because of the success of the NPC and their own declining numbers.

Nice try Chic, but again without admitting you are 100% wrong.  You keep trying to make it look how the NPC is and how bad all other organizations are and fail.  Do you honestly make this stuff up or what.  That is not why there is no NPC or IFBB Mr. America. 

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »

tomato...tomato     loses something when no tbeing said and typred instead  lol

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 03:57:20 PM »
Nice try Chic, but again without admitting you are 100% wrong.  You keep trying to make it look how the NPC is and how bad all other organizations are and fail.  Do you honestly make this stuff up or what.  That is not why there is no NPC or IFBB Mr. America. 
thank you onlyme, why is there no NPC or IFBB Mr. America?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Bottom line is that even non bodybuilders know what a Mr. America or Mr. Universe is. Nobody except hardcore bodybuilders know what the fuck these "national champion" titles are. Just another reason why bodybuilding is a tiny niche activity with a shrinking base of followers.
The House that Ruth built

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
Sorry bro...I've already got that title!
captin _______________  ??? ::)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
thank you onlyme, why is there no NPC or IFBB Mr. America?

This is why there is no NPC or IFBB Mr. America.  In short, they don't own it, the AAU owns the name. 

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=kbcrsg.2.13

Moosejay

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »

I believe the AAU was at least at one time a property of the Disney Corporation.

At least one winner in the late 90's of the Mr. A sued the AAU because they rescinded his title due to a psotive polygraph test.

He was awarded 100 K.

Michael Eisner heard of this, and, being that Disney would not, naturally, want anything to do with drugs in any of their ventures, dumped bb, and , in effect, froze the 'Mr." titles from being used again.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »

I believe the AAU was at least at one time a property of the Disney Corporation.

At least one winner in the late 90's of the Mr. A sued the AAU because they rescinded his title due to a psotive polygraph test.

He was awarded 100 K.

Michael Eisner heard of this, and, being that Disney would not, naturally, want anything to do with drugs in any of their ventures, dumped bb, and , in effect, froze the 'Mr." titles from being used again.

why not ? what are bodybuilders if not life like cartoon characters        hell, chick thinks he's captain america   lol
(this was a rhetorical question    don;t answer it)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 09:59:59 PM »
Holy shit I didn't know that link expired.  In short it was from the United States Patent and Trademark Office in Washington D.C.  It states the AAU owns the rights to the name Mr. America and still does to this day.  They have owned it since 1966 or 1969 I can't remember.  That is why the NPC or IFBB could never use the name.  Not even close to what CHic says.  Even though he did say the NPC tried to use it so maybe they got nailed for trademark infringement.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 11:28:58 PM »
Do you read?

That's EXACTLY what I said.....

My POINT was....It became irrelevant as to what name/ title was being used as the NPC quickly took over amateur BB here in the states, and the AAU sunk into obscurity and eventually folded tent.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 11:48:28 PM »
Do you read?

That's EXACTLY what I said.....

My POINT was....It became irrelevant as to what name/ title was being used as the NPC quickly took over amateur BB here in the states, and the AAU sunk into obscurity and eventually folded tent.

Not what you said but whatever.  I just thought that maybe someday you will admit when you are wrong.    The AAU is the largest amateur organization in the world, I highly doubt the NPC had anything to do with them quitting BB.  Not even close.  It was because of the prevalence of drugs.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 10:24:21 AM »
The AAU is the largest amateur organization in the world, I highly doubt the NPC had anything to do with them quitting BB.

The AAU is a true amateur sports organization, with local chapters and elected representatives to the national organization.   The NPC is a privately held company.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »
The AAU is a true amateur sports organization, with local chapters and elected representatives to the national organization.   The NPC is a privately held company.

100% correct  It allows the NPC to do what they want and when they want.  When it (NPC) was formed it was never meant to have a lifelong appointment for the President.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 03:58:51 PM »

Here you go Keith...just to refresh your memory.

And yes, they did fold due to the NPC, and the fact that nearly every single top guy was competing in the NPC...their numbers dropped to nothing within 5 years.